Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Yeah, this LP has made me realize that while I love this game, its still kind of rough and clearly rushed.

Makes me appreciate Covenant even more though because it such a huge improvement to the point where I think its one of the best JRPGs of all time.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Feb 12, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Really Pants posted:

How many JRPG villain sympathy arcs aren't completely ham-fisted as all hell, anyway? The only ones I can think of off the top of my head are this game's sequel, Magus from Chrono Trigger, and Loewe from Trails in the Sky.
Tales of Berseria was mostly fine I felt, a big part of that is the game still doesn't try to justify what they're trying to do at all and the cast still hates them.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

DiggleWrath posted:

Or three crucifixes, honestly. Most of these fights sound infinitely harder, or at least more annoying, without status immunity. I bet the endgame would be just as challenging (if even more of a slog) if you went straight into the final dungeon without doing any sidequests except to get 3 crucifixes.
I didn't do much in the way of the sidequests aside from the Masks and I don't really remember it being a slog. It probably helped that I beat Covenant before I played 1, so I had a good understanding of how the series worked.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Feb 13, 2019

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

The implication from Koudelka that the Judo-christian God is real in some form and at least somewhat benevolent (I mean, that God was willing to rapture the final boss and save the protagonists after James prayed hard enough and admitted that he had been acting like a douche) combined with the existence of a separate evil lovecraftian God in this game that Yuri is able to punch to death raises a lot of questions about the theology of the Shadow Hearts universe that are probably best left unanswered.
Meta-God is more of an Arthur C. Clarke style sufficiently advanced alien, its not actually Shadow Hearts God. Meta-God's bestiary entry pretty much states this.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Omobono posted:

Do Koudelka and/or Halley and/or Edward get a cameo in From the New World?
Nope, not even a single mention.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Yeah, the combat is real good, its just that the writing is weaker and it doesn't come together nearly as well as Covenant did.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Shadow Hearts was doomed no matter what because the publisher went all in with pachinko and stopped making games.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

stryth posted:

Hmm, that sounds familiar.
Aruze did it before Konami made it cool.

It really sucks that Japanese game rights just tend to languish like that. At least with non-Japanese games they actually have a chance at coming back like Night Dive re-releasing old abandonware or THQ Nordic buying up the old dead IPs from last gen and making something of them now. Shadow Hearts is just screwed.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Feb 15, 2019

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Ubiquitous_ posted:

In what way? It has a great soundtrack, improves upon the graphics of Covenant, and also improves the core gameplay.
Yeah, if you think FTNW is genuinely bad you've never actually played a bad JRPG. FTNW's biggest problem is its more stock JRPG writing-wise compared to its predecessors but at least its zaniness is still unique for the genre and still fits the series what with all the alt-history shenanigans.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Feb 16, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Malachite_Dragon posted:

I've seen characters die in other games before, but for some reason Alice dying this way in the cutscene is particularly sad and I'm not entirely sure why. Maybe it's because she didn't even get to see home one last time, but at least she got to be with Yuri at the end.
It's super understated, which usually doesn't happen when it comes to death in video games, where its usually bombastic and melodramatic stuff like people going out in a blaze of glory or getting a long impassioned dying speech.

Alice just dies quietly in her sleep.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Feb 22, 2019