Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Kuato posted:

I turned 30 and my metabolism abandoned me. I just pray it doesn’t get worse and I turn into some marlon Brando-esque monstrosity when I’m older

Same. Part of it was moving from a food service job to a computer software gig but I'm 31 now and I'm fat :(. Not morbidly, but I'm definitely overweight. I used to be like 170, but now I'm probably closer to 220.

I do exercise several times a week, but I should probably ramp that up and do it even more. And maybe eat less crap.

Or I'll just keep getting fatter and grow a George Lucas beard to hide my many chins when I get older and even more bloated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hometown Slime Queen
Oct 26, 2004

the GOAT
I'm about to head overseas to study later this year, and decided that even though I wasn't a fattie yet, I was a bit overweight and wanted to lose it. I got MyFitnessPal and started logging everything, and have dropped 6lbs so far, aiming for 10-15 before I leave so I can be SVELTE. I also currently live in the sticks where there's nothing to do and you just drive everywhere, but am moving to a city where there will be lots of walking and biking.

Although there will probably also be a lot of really good food so I will have to be careful about how much of the good food I eat. :(

FAGGY CLAUSE
Apr 9, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Don't worry it's easy to not eat out in a city when a salad costs 18 bucks

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

like a cigarette should posted:

I'm about to head overseas to study later this year, and decided that even though I wasn't a fattie yet, I was a bit overweight and wanted to lose it. I got MyFitnessPal and started logging everything, and have dropped 6lbs so far, aiming for 10-15 before I leave so I can be SVELTE. I also currently live in the sticks where there's nothing to do and you just drive everywhere, but am moving to a city where there will be lots of walking and biking.

Although there will probably also be a lot of really good food so I will have to be careful about how much of the good food I eat. :(

I can see that working out.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

I did Weight Watchers, it feels silly for the first week, but the points thing clicked with me more than MyFitnessPal did. Plus, they have a titanic database of food and points values and their app lets you scan bar-codes and get the values for just about everything.

They have recipes too but those are VERY hit or miss, read them carefully. Some read like they were written in the 70s, and will give you 70s quality meals. If you're an internet shut in like me you wind up eating really only a half dozen meals and soon enough you know what you can have during the day.

Evidence: Lost 40lbs in 2012, gained back 15 with baby 1 in 2014, lost 10 more in 2016, gained back 5 in 2017 with politics and baby number 2, trying to get back to 2012 weight with WW now, or even further.

Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Excalibur? More like "Needle"

Grimey Drawer

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

Lol you've been overweight for four years straight and you act like some kind of expert on weight loss? Get to a healthy body weight for once and maybe then you'll have something to say

Oh? How much weight have you lost? And what were the results of your various research?

What parts do you disagree with, and why?

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

You look like poo poo. Post a pic fatso

You should go first

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
I've lost roughly 30 lbs by only eating whole grain chips and organic salsa every day.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
yall should be going to the gym at least 5 days a week if youre serious about losing weight. also low carb (not no carb) eating is the best IMHO.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
Thinking of going low carb. Anyone know where I can get a good deal on buckets of lard?

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

bloom posted:

Thinking of going low carb. Anyone know where I can get a good deal on buckets of lard?
Have you tried your own rear end:grin:

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

fishing with the fam posted:

I specified non-packaged foods friend.

Using a kitchen scale for every ingredient in a meal sounds like hell. But okay, that makes sense.

Scale or measuring cups, yeah. If you have time to eat you have time to measure. It adds a few minutes to your routine at first, but over time you get faster and also good at estimating.

Using an app or website to record everything helps too, because those translate your measurements into calories so you can see the things that had way more calories than you realized. Soon you'll know the things that should be measured and the things where you can wing it. It doesn't matter if you misjudge how much broccoli you put in the recipe because broccoli has hardly any calories for it's bulk and no one ever got fat from eating too much broccoli. Mistaking a 7 ounce steak for a 6 ounce steak probably won't matter either. But you may want to be more careful and really measure how much sugar, BBQ sauce, or ranch dressing you are using each time because it's easy to use twice as much or even three times as much as you think you're using and it will make a difference.

PhantomPayne
Aug 8, 2017

I should think before posting

extra stout posted:

some doctor woman talks about your secret spoiler tip on joe rogan but i think the studies showed it was more like 10 1/2 hour window for most peoples enzymes to digest food normally, so you eat in that range and avoid stretching it or 'starting the process over'

also she claimed even a 10 calorie vitamin starts this process in your gut so if you're wasting money on supplements take those with breakfast

i too am a doctor witch man, the problem with health sciences is that no two patients/people/goons are exactly alike, so some patients might have an 8 hour window, some others might have a 10 hour window, and not every protocol has the same inclusion/exclusion criteria, so there's always variance between patients and study results. That's why we there's always a metaanalysis to conclude something from a ton of articles.

Most studies i've read conclude that 50ish calories start the process, so half an apple might not break the fast, but that makes some people start being sneaky and accidentally breaking their fast with a huge apple or whatever, so sometimes it's better to tell patients to only drink water between fasts.

IF apparently also causes biomolecular changes in your cells that prolong celular life (despite your weight/height) but I don't really remember the specifics to make a good summary.

KEEP ON LOSING FAT, GOONZ

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo

a hole-y ghost posted:

I tried but all that was there were my posts.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ
Let's see, lots of people lose weight doing IF but also lots of people lose weight doing the thing where you eat a small meal every two hours to "stoke the metabolic fire"

Surely there must be something special regarding enzymes and digestion windows with these two extremes of the eating habit continuum, and people aren't just losing weight because they are finally being purposefully considerate about their eating

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

feelix posted:

Let's see, lots of people lose weight doing IF but also lots of people lose weight doing the thing where you eat a small meal every two hours to "stoke the metabolic fire"

Surely there must be something special regarding enzymes and digestion windows with these two extremes of the eating habit continuum, and people aren't just losing weight because they are finally being purposefully considerate about their eating
Huh. I always thought writing interactive fiction would tend to result in weight gain.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
I'm gonna eat a poke bowl for lunch, hit the gym in the afternoon and probably make scrambles and sausage for dinner. (breakfast for dinner RULES!)

tomorrow im gonna do a 20 mile loop around the bay on my mountain bike and enjoy a few tasty cold ones at a few breweries downtown

:chef:

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
Over the past decade, my weight looks like an EKG readout.

In my experience, CICO covers the biology just fine.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR
i dont need to lose weight because im a grown man who didnt get fat in the first place but can we use this thread to talk about doing shoulder presses and squats with hickory logs?

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

extra stout posted:

i dont need to lose weight because im a grown man who didnt get fat in the first place but can we use this thread to talk about doing shoulder presses and squats with hickory logs?

hell yeah

NightshadeGenitals
Dec 28, 2017

Star maths and wishy thinking

extra stout posted:

A grown man that lifts with yard debris.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

PhantomPayne posted:

i too am a doctor witch man, the problem with health sciences is that no two patients/people/goons are exactly alike, so some patients might have an 8 hour window, some others might have a 10 hour window, and not every protocol has the same inclusion/exclusion criteria, so there's always variance between patients and study results. That's why we there's always a metaanalysis to conclude something from a ton of articles.

Most studies i've read conclude that 50ish calories start the process, so half an apple might not break the fast, but that makes some people start being sneaky and accidentally breaking their fast with a huge apple or whatever, so sometimes it's better to tell patients to only drink water between fasts.

IF apparently also causes biomolecular changes in your cells that prolong celular life (despite your weight/height) but I don't really remember the specifics to make a good summary.

KEEP ON LOSING FAT, GOONZ

Diet pepsi counts as water, right? I mean, it's mostly water. And the tiny bit that is non-water chemicals apparently have no calories, so they don't really exist.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

NightshadeGenitals posted:

A grown man that lifts with yard debris.

there was a guy in YOSPOS years ago who decided the best path towards swole was this method where you fill a big sack up with rocks and schlep it around

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ

Smythe posted:

there was a guy in YOSPOS years ago who decided the best path towards swole was this method where you fill a big sack up with rocks and schlep it around

There's a whole book that a YLLS goon wrote about how to do all the lifts with a duffel bag full of junk for goons who are too scared to go to a gym with weights

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

beep-beep car is go posted:

I did Weight Watchers, it feels silly for the first week, but the points thing clicked with me more than MyFitnessPal did. Plus, they have a titanic database of food and points values and their app lets you scan bar-codes and get the values for just about everything.

They have recipes too but those are VERY hit or miss, read them carefully. Some read like they were written in the 70s, and will give you 70s quality meals. If you're an internet shut in like me you wind up eating really only a half dozen meals and soon enough you know what you can have during the day.

Evidence: Lost 40lbs in 2012, gained back 15 with baby 1 in 2014, lost 10 more in 2016, gained back 5 in 2017 with politics and baby number 2, trying to get back to 2012 weight with WW now, or even further.

what is the purpose of creating an alternative points system? we already have calorie counts

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

Chinatown posted:

yall should be going to the gym at least 5 days a week if youre serious about losing weight. also low carb (not no carb) eating is the best IMHO.

My diet is all carbs

GET BEEFY BITCH!

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Rutibex posted:

what is the purpose of creating an alternative points system? we already have calorie counts

It’s easier, but way more expensive. Well if you buy their poo poo.

DISCO KING
Oct 30, 2012

STILL
TRYING
TOO
HARD

a hole-y ghost posted:

:iceburn:

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Gaunab posted:

My diet is all carbs

GET BEEFY BITCH!

gotta eat BEEF to get BEEFY idiot!!111

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

i put on like almost 10 lbs since i got my concussion and stopped doing very much physical activity

i could just pretend ive been "bulking" and hit the gym and GET BEEFY.

and remember NEVER EVER stretch cause if you wanna look TIGHT you gotta be TIGHT.

Piggy Smalls
Jun 21, 2015

BOSS MAKES A DOLLAR,
YOU MAKE A DIME,
I'LL LICK HIS BOOT TILL THOSE MOTHERFUCKERS SHINE.

My package of that root stuff in the OP just arrived today.

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Piggy Smalls posted:

My package of that root stuff in the OP just arrived today.

Cool feel better! :)

Piggy Smalls
Jun 21, 2015

BOSS MAKES A DOLLAR,
YOU MAKE A DIME,

My root powder thing gives me gnarley farts and my stomach grumbles a lot. I don’t get any cramps or anything though. I’ll keep you updated on if it works.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

I just came and lost approximately 4 oz of weight

On a roll here, fellas

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Piggy Smalls posted:

My root powder thing gives me gnarley farts and my stomach grumbles a lot. I don’t get any cramps or anything though. I’ll keep you updated on if it works.

This is the stuff that fills you up like fiber? Is there a reason you aren't just eating fiber? Like chow down on celery all day, it basically has negative calories.

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

barf barf i am a dog, barf on your carpet, barf
If you really need to lose weight try amphetamine + soylent combined with daily walks

Piggy Smalls
Jun 21, 2015

BOSS MAKES A DOLLAR,
YOU MAKE A DIME,

Facebook Aunt posted:

This is the stuff that fills you up like fiber? Is there a reason you aren't just eating fiber? Like chow down on celery all day, it basically has negative calories.

Vegetables are gross

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Piggy Smalls posted:

Vegetables are gross

ah now i see the problem

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012

AEMINAL posted:

If you really need to lose weight try amphetamine + soylent combined with daily walks

Or Huel.

Virtues of Huel:
  • Ingredients are more natural
  • Higher fiber content
  • Higher protein content
  • Lower sugar content
  • Mixes better with other powders (Soylent mixes poorly, very clumpy. Huel mixes effortlessly with cacao, matcha and instant coffee)
  • Soylent is associated with Silicon Valley

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!
literally all you need to do to lose weight is eat a low carb, high protein and (healthy) fat diet at a decent calorie deficit AND lift weights

the weight lifting part is how you know if you're willing to be a fat turd for the rest of your life or not. Want to lose weight and look better but aren't willing to put in 45 minutes a day every other day or so? Well then you don't really want to change after all and you should resign yourself to failure because you're going to fail eventually and get fat again anyways

cardio can wait until you've gotten in a bit better shape, making your muscles bigger will be the biggest positive difference in your appearance you can make. while it's true you can't turn fat into muscles, you CAN still grow your muscles and lose fat at the same time. later on calorie deficits will prevent you from gaining as much muscle but it takes a while to get there and until you do, proper diet and weightlifting will make you a better person.

all other advice is retarded

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
Strength training owns. Muscle increases caloric requirements. If diet's held constant, you'll still be less fat even if you stop.