Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon

Private Cumshoe posted:

I put lots of heavy whipping cream in two cups of coffee every day how does that compare to eating straight butter in terms of coronaries?

I already lost like 20 pounds in a month slowly transitioning to keto, I think I've finally depleted my glycogen stores and that was likely representative of the water weight from that, but I'm still slowly losing weight and walking a lot to make sure I burn off any carbs I might overeat on the diet

Idk. When I did my keto I probably ate as much protein as I did fat, if not more. Was more of a restricted calorie intake too, I kept it at about 2000 daily while being reasonably active (don't have a sedentary job and I was already going to the gym I think)

Not a dietician but i really don't think anyone should be doing this poo poo for more than a month or two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Excalibur? More like "Needle"

Grimey Drawer

SoldadoDeTone posted:

Okay, goons, I think it's time for me to turn to you. I have been trying to lose weight recently, but every time I take off 10 pounds, I just put it back on. My trouble is that I have a pregnant wife and a toddler who is very difficult to feed. This results in a lot of poor diet choices, and I have a hard time not eating high calorie food if it is within arm's reach. It's less that I need advice and more that I need support and validation. My wife, while I love her, is not the best diet coach and is more likely to tell me to go get a cheeseburger when I'm craving one.

So in short, I'd like to check in from time to time with you goons to talk about my progress. I'm starting here today at 230 pounds (6 feet tall). Wish me luck!

One thing I could use advice on, actually, is how to exercise while injured. I seriously sprained my ankle a few weeks ago, and the doctor said I likely have 12 weeks left to go before it is healed. By the doctor's recommendation, I am not in a brace or anything, but most exercise exacerbates the pain. I tried running last weekend, and my ankle swelled to the size of a baseball.

You don't need exercise to achieve weight loss, it just helps. Don't do exercise that causes pain. If that means no exercise until you're healed, that's what it means. Don't feel bad about not loving yourself up worse.

If you're serious about losing weight, the absolute best thing you can do is calculate your adjusted BMR, set a calorie target based on desired weight loss per week, and measure your intake to ensure you don't exceed your target. If you do that, you will lose weight.

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

Private Cumshoe posted:

I put lots of heavy whipping cream in two cups of coffee every day how does that compare to eating straight butter in terms of coronaries?

I already lost like 20 pounds in a month slowly transitioning to keto, I think I've finally depleted my glycogen stores and that was likely representative of the water weight from that, but I'm still slowly losing weight and walking a lot to make sure I burn off any carbs I might overeat on the diet

I wouldn't worry too much honestly. The dude that heartfucked himself was doing poo poo like eating actual lard

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH
sounds like you took the same approach I am Colonel Cancer, and if you didn't end up on statins or with a clogged heart I bet I'll fare ok

I'm trying to cut down on my protein but it's hard when such easy go to foods are greek yogurt and cottage cheese and other high protein stuff. I'm forcing myself to eat more olive oil with arugula and avocados through guacamole with bell peppers

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

My brother just had a stroke at 36. He weighed 323 and had some crazy high blood pressure without any meds. It’s taken this to finally get him on anti depressants and get his weight under control and I’m happy for him. I want to help him out however I can but being someone with a much more active lifestyle I feel I’d come across as being pushy and know it all-y.

I just want my brother to live

SoldadoDeTone
Apr 20, 2006

Hold on tight!

Piggy Smalls posted:

Doing a single push-up may be hard for him. I say super light weight done with high reps would be good for him.

I can do push ups. The idea of an exercise bike is a good one. I might need to look into that.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

George H.W. oval office posted:

My brother just had a stroke at 36. He weighed 323 and had some crazy high blood pressure without any meds. It’s taken this to finally get him on anti depressants and get his weight under control and I’m happy for him. I want to help him out however I can but being someone with a much more active lifestyle I feel I’d come across as being pushy and know it all-y.

I think you can be pushy, if he doesn't like it remind him that he had a loving stroke at 36 and will die if he doesn't start improving his health.

Bobcats
Aug 5, 2004
Oh
6’2, age 37

Former lovely vegetarian who would eat half of Asia’s rice a week.

Have resolved to never weigh more than 199lbs. Going for an in-shape 180, so I still have a ways to go.

June 2018 - 235 - 36x32 pants
January 2019 - 220 34x32 pants
This morning - 204 32x34 pants (pants sit differently since I lost, er, thiccness )

Not doing any magical dieting for sake of weight loss but I am controlling calories because I unconsciously pack it in.

Realize it’s not super aggressive but is the result of totally re-thinking what I eat and, importantly, how much. I was eating a lot of straight trash and feeling bad.

Fitbit scale is awesome for progress!

Regular exercise has done well for my emotional side, too!

I’m not done but it’s starting to feel like the best thing you can do for your physical and mental health is don’t be fat.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

I wish you the loving best man. My brother died a decade back, and I can say without a doubt that anything you can do to help keep your brother's health is worth it.

Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Excalibur? More like "Needle"

Grimey Drawer

Apart from just letting him know that you love and support him, the absolute best thing you can do for him is run aggressive interference for him in social situations where people would try to either encourage him to eat more or give him poo poo for not eating "enough." It's something I wish others would have done for me so I could avoid looking like the oversensitive rear end in a top hat.

"No Janet, he's not going to starve himself, now kindly gently caress off."

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH
So I started my keto diet like 3 weeks ago and was at 195 pounds and I'm already pushing 175 and losing about a pound every two days, is this normal? Can there really be that much water weight? I guess I'm only 5'10" so it could still be water weight. When am I going to plateau?

I like feeling 20 pounds less fat I find I can roll my fat rear end out of bed a little easier in the morning!

star war beta max
Sep 26, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
2 lbs à day sounds perfect keep going

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

Private Cumshoe posted:

So I started my keto diet like 3 weeks ago and was at 195 pounds and I'm already pushing 175 and losing about a pound every two days, is this normal? Can there really be that much water weight? I guess I'm only 5'10" so it could still be water weight. When am I going to plateau?

I like feeling 20 pounds less fat I find I can roll my fat rear end out of bed a little easier in the morning!

A lot of it is water weight yeah, but you're legit most likely eating a shitload less calories by now too

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

People and especially Americans eat a poo poo load of salt.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Private Cumshoe posted:

sounds like you took the same approach I am Colonel Cancer, and if you didn't end up on statins or with a clogged heart I bet I'll fare ok

I'm trying to cut down on my protein but it's hard when such easy go to foods are greek yogurt and cottage cheese and other high protein stuff. I'm forcing myself to eat more olive oil with arugula and avocados through guacamole with bell peppers
For me, when I was giving that keto diet a try, I was already going to a gym regularly, mainly for lifting, so I kept high protein intake.

The stuff I ate was incredibly boring though (eggs, cheese, protein power, occasional piece of beef jerky and a fair amount of lean meat, mainly chicken and uh costco hotdogs) but it was pretty filling. Cucumbers and broccoli and occasional tomato can really help you feel full especially early on and they don't have a lot of carbs.

If you haven't gotten on it already, be prepared to feel really irritated especially once your glycogen stores run out. Keto fever is a real thing but it goes away after a few days.

Might as well spring a few bucks for the keto strips too if you wanna be all sciency.

Private Cumshoe posted:

That sounds about right tbh. I've done mine for about 3 weeks and I lost like 20 pounds. Pretty sure half of it was water weight.

If you don't literally eat buckets of lard, it's pretty hard to eat a poo poo ton of extra calories without relying on carbs. I found fat/protein heavy food extremely filling, you could have like 500 calories of cheese and some greens and basically feel full for hours (for comparison, a slice of white bread would probably be 200 calories of mostly carbs)

Colonel Cancer fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Apr 18, 2019

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH

Colonel Cancer posted:

For me, when I was giving that keto diet a try, I was already going to a gym regularly, mainly for lifting, so I kept high protein intake.

The stuff I ate was incredibly boring though (eggs, cheese, protein power, occasional piece of beef jerky and a fair amount of lean meat, mainly chicken and uh costco hotdogs) but it was pretty filling. Cucumbers and broccoli and occasional tomato can really help you feel full especially early on and they don't have a lot of carbs.

If you haven't gotten on it already, be prepared to feel really irritated especially once your glycogen stores run out. Keto fever is a real thing but it goes away after a few days.

Might as well spring a few bucks for the keto strips too if you wanna be all sciency.

Oh boy I hope it doesn't kick in in the next 24 hours I have to crank out a paper overnight lol if I get a fever and all queasy and poo poo I'm hosed! I might give in and have a popsicle or something does that break the fever if it comes on and you're desperate to get out of it?

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Private Cumshoe posted:

Oh boy I hope it doesn't kick in in the next 24 hours I have to crank out a paper overnight lol if I get a fever and all queasy and poo poo I'm hosed! I might give in and have a popsicle or something does that break the fever if it comes on and you're desperate to get out of it?

I wouldn't say it made me queasy, just very irritated and kinda feverish. Unless you've started keto a few days ago it probably won't kick in right away.

Another unfortunate side effect (although it might be just due to what I was eating) you might encounter some constipation.

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH
Well today is the first day I started noticing my breath tasting sickly sweet and a little chemically so that must be all those ketones! I did feel queasy earlier today but that didn't last too long. I started transitioning like 2 weeks ago so maybe I'm mostly in the clear.

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

Yeah unless you've somehow not been in ketosis this whole time there's no way the flu would just now start kicking in. A lot of the symptoms are specifically a consequence of the water weight loss you're already done with. You lose a lot of electrolytes with it so drinking a bowl of bouillon when you start to feel lovely does a lot to take the edge off. What you've got to worry about now is getting bored

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH
Well I got the keto flu this morning I guess, I was all queasy for a while so I had some bullion which helped and then I had to fart which turned out to be liquid poo poo so I poo poo my pants, and now I'm breaking out into a sweat so more bullion. I was sick enough where I could only eat two strips of the bacon that I made this morning.

Keto is so metal, sweatin and shittin ur pants and barfin

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
kinda seems like it might be not that great for you :thunk:

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

That sounds like the regular flu

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH

TheIncredulousHulk posted:

That sounds like the regular flu

Nah I'm just a bitch baby I wouldn't be able to move or shitpost if it were the real flu

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH
lol I went out drinking and had 3 drinks and then 2 cups of coffee and after the coffee I couldn't stop shaking and puked a few times lmao

I think now I'm hung over AND have the keto flu, awesome

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
I think you're downplaying what sound like some pretty gnarly symptoms. I know that for me personally, keto made me feel like absolute poo poo and hosed up my guts for a week even after I stopped. I then lost weight simply by eating at a calorie deficit which, apart from hunger, left me with no adverse effects whatsoever. I have to question why you're doing it when it's making you poo poo your pants and puke your guts up.

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH
I think you underestimate how often I poo poo my pants and puke my guts up :grin:

Yeah if this isn't just a hangover and I have the keto flu all day I am done with this diet for now and will transition to a normal CICO by the end of the day trying not to balloon myself back up 20 pounds in the process lol.

I know I'm at least cheating today and having pecan pie because it's Easter dammit!!

Oh yeah I just ate some macadamia nuts and they were extremely satisfying, maybe I'm just not eating *enough* fat somehow

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Drinking and keto is not a good idea especially when drinking like a goon.

Another success story lol

Regardless of the diet consider keeping a detailed journal of things you eat and their estimated calorie value for a few weeks, it helps be more conscious of portion sizes and nutrition in general .

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Private Cumshoe posted:

Well I got the keto flu this morning I guess, I was all queasy for a while so I had some bullion which helped and then I had to fart which turned out to be liquid poo poo so I poo poo my pants, and now I'm breaking out into a sweat so more bullion. I was sick enough where I could only eat two strips of the bacon that I made this morning.

Keto is so metal, sweatin and shittin ur pants and barfin

Sounds like a healthy diet. Enjoy your bacon.

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH

Colonel Cancer posted:

Drinking and keto is not a good idea especially when drinking like a goon.

Another success story lol

Regardless of the diet consider keeping a detailed journal of things you eat and their estimated calorie value for a few weeks, it helps be more conscious of portion sizes and nutrition in general .

lol it was only two vodka/club soda/limes and a little glass of wine. I probably only got hung over because it was rail vodka and wine.

I'm starting to feel fine today so maybe it's over. And yes I will enjoy bacon a couple times a week in the morning thanyouverymuch

LordArgh
Mar 17, 2009

Nap Ghost
don't do keto, jesus loving christ. i know us nerds have to min max everything but seriously just reduce your caloric intake and move more if you can. do something sustainable rather than this bullshit diet where your body is freaking out because your brain is literally starving and dying.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
Plus after the initial wow factor of the rapid loss of water weight, reality sets in that you are really restricted in what you can eat. Doing keto sloppy and just eating a ton of butter and bacon is easy, but that poo poo's not good for you. Whereas I ate at a 800-1000 calorie deficit and lost 1kg a week like loving clockwork, and I could eat whatever I wanted - just less of it. I asked earlier in the thread, and I'll ask again - what does keto get you that a simple and much easier calorie deficit doesn't?

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

yeah everyone knows the frogtech version but it's good to see the source material to show that diet matters

e: link fix

Scrotum Modem fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Apr 20, 2019

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

I'm just gonna reiterate that I'm pretty sure the guy posting about suddenly barfing and making GBS threads everywhere after 2 weeks on keto doesn't have keto flu and is just regular sick

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH
yeah I could have been regular sick, I'm still in ketosis I think and I feel fine today now.

I take medication that makes me crave sugar so I would eat poo poo tons of sugar in the middle of the night, sometimes sleep walking while doing it, and now I don't crave sugar or sleep walk our court diabetes any more.

That's why I'm doing keto because that poo poo has stopped.

Also lol no your brain is not "literally starving" on keto.

Piggy Smalls
Jun 21, 2015

BOSS MAKES A DOLLAR,
YOU MAKE A DIME,
I'LL LICK HIS BOOT TILL THOSE MOTHERFUCKERS SHINE.

Just ordered some ready made Huel. Will let you guys know how it tastes when I get it. Been eating badly. Need to force myself from fats and sugars. My body seems to crave it all the time.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
Huel's good. Tastes like sweetened oatmeal.

wit
Jul 26, 2011
Been working nights - care assistant which is heavy work in the day and staring at someone sleeping and writing notes at night - for 6 months. Shifts are so irregular on my "days off" I'm still in night mode. Punchbags, Exercise bike, weights bench etc. I have don't mean poo poo because except weights I can't use them without being a dick to my downstairs neighbour. I'm walking around town (my normal riverside walk is completely unlit at night) in the very early hours just to get some exercise and am probably assumed to be a prowler. Eating at the wrong times, sleeping at the wrong times, etc. has completely hosed up my metabolism. I ended up having to all but resign to get back onto day shifts just for my own health (and honestly, mental health I'm not seeing people in daylight, only talking to other night shift workers and spending my time doing dumb poo poo like memorising pi by night, full on cabin fever like I got bitten by an autistic werewolf). I'll not get day shifts because despite the promises that "yes with, thank you so much i promise this is only temporary" all my normal shifts are filled up now (zero hour contract worker). Night shifts (and probably most shifts) stop at the end of next week. So I'll begin in earnest to undo the last 6 months then.

I asked my coworkers what they did and quite a few of them said "that's why we demand set nights, so I can go to my personal trainer/gym". They also sleep at work, something I can't do not even a little. Any night goons have struggles or solutions to this kind of thing? I've even asked if I could just move all my equipment from home to my work and make a work gym (something the others all loved the idea of), but "no room" apparently.

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde
Find a 24 hour gym?

wit
Jul 26, 2011

BuckarooBanzai posted:

Find a 24 hour gym?

Backwater town there, city slicker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kullik
Jan 5, 2017

Im getting back on track but it's hard waaa
Gym is going good but keeping control of my diet has been hard thanks to stress and depression