Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

What you are suggesting is actively harmful and counter-productive. It is more akin to religious asceticism than any actual diet plan. You're basically recommending the NNN of eating.

The best way to cut calories is to track what you are eating. Get some app where you can put in what you eat, and log absolutely everything. If you can pull that off, then it will soon become pretty obvious where you should cut back. (And where you need to cut back will almost certainly be unique to you.) It will probably be a test of your willpower to actually cut what you need to cut. Hopefully you didn't have your sense of satiation destroyed by obesity, because then that test of your willpower can be passed on willpower alone. If you find that you absolutely cannot build up the will to overcome an outsized sense of hunger, then go to your doctor and talk about your options for Wegovy/Zepbound/another GLP-1 treatment.

If you find that you have to build elaborate mental models and starve yourself for days at a time to try and eat fewer calories, you're setting yourself up to lose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

lol fasting. ugh. just eat normal, with smaller portions. track your calories if you dont start losing weight after ~30 days of making a conscious effort to reduce intake

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

LanceHunter posted:

What you are suggesting is actively harmful and counter-productive. It is more akin to religious asceticism than any actual diet plan. You're basically recommending the NNN of eating.

The best way to cut calories is to track what you are eating. Get some app where you can put in what you eat, and log absolutely everything. If you can pull that off, then it will soon become pretty obvious where you should cut back. (And where you need to cut back will almost certainly be unique to you.) It will probably be a test of your willpower to actually cut what you need to cut. Hopefully you didn't have your sense of satiation destroyed by obesity, because then that test of your willpower can be passed on willpower alone. If you find that you absolutely cannot build up the will to overcome an outsized sense of hunger, then go to your doctor and talk about your options for Wegovy/Zepbound/another GLP-1 treatment.

If you find that you have to build elaborate mental models and starve yourself for days at a time to try and eat fewer calories, you're setting yourself up to lose.

yeah this

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

LanceHunter posted:

A day (or more depending) of fasting combined with a 16-8 intermittent fasting recommendation?

I don't think so.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ

redshirt posted:

A day (or more depending) of fasting combined with a 16-8 intermittent fasting recommendation?

I don't think so.

Literally no one is agreeing with you because you are loving wrong, stupid, stubborn, and actively harmful

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

feelix posted:

Literally no one is agreeing with you because you are loving wrong, stupid, stubborn, and actively harmful

It's worked for me. Best of luck for you.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ

redshirt posted:

It's worked for me. Best of luck for you.

I lost 30 pounds eating an entire frozen pizza before bed on most nights, I don't go around recommending it to people because I'm not an idiot

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

feelix posted:

I lost 30 pounds eating an entire frozen pizza before bed on most nights, I don't go around recommending it to people because I'm not an idiot

Good for you, I'm just commenting on the internet on a Sunday night, thanks.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

feelix posted:

That's also dumb as hell.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

feelix posted:

Why frozen? For the crunch?

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Why frozen? For the crunch?

you burn more calories if your body has to warm it up

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

DickParasite posted:

you burn more calories if your body has to warm it up

Ah OK makes sense.

LordArgh
Mar 17, 2009

Nap Ghost
I once went 100 hours without eating anything, not for weight loss but just to see if I could do it and what it was like. It loving sucked and I felt cold constantly. Would recommend.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Longest I've gone without eating was around 30 hours, because I was so sick I couldn't get out of bed. (I would've called 112 only I couldn't move enough to pick up the phone and call. It was about 20cm from my face.)

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer

LordArgh posted:

I once went 100 hours without eating anything, not for weight loss but just to see if I could do it and what it was like. It loving sucked and I felt cold constantly. Would recommend.

I did 10 days, just to see if i could.
Ive had done intermitted before, did 3 days, 5 days and 7 days before, and then wanted to see how far i could go.

In the end it wasnt hunger or feeling ill that made me stop, but the sheer craving of chewing food and experiencing the taste.
Hunger-wise i coulda gone a few more days im sure, there is literally no hunger after day 2-3 because your body is provided "food" 24 hours straight.
I did take vitamins though, and had coffee and tea.
Oh yeah and i smoked of course.

But everyone should be able to go 1 or 2 days without eating, its something we just unlearned.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I'm able to shove a carrot up my bum. That doesn't mean I should.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

3D Megadoodoo posted:

I know people who do the "fast 16 hours eat during 8 hours" and none of them have lost any weight. (Anecdotal evidence for sure.)

That's called "skipping breakfast" and people have been doing it for tens of thousands of years for various reasons, htbh

feelix
Nov 27, 2016

Yolomon Wayne posted:

But everyone should be able to go 1 or 2 days without eating, its something we just unlearned.

We also unlearned living in caves and dying at 30 of an infected scratch

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Yolomon Wayne posted:

I did 10 days, just to see if i could.
Ive had done intermitted before, did 3 days, 5 days and 7 days before, and then wanted to see how far i could go.

In the end it wasnt hunger or feeling ill that made me stop, but the sheer craving of chewing food and experiencing the taste.
Hunger-wise i coulda gone a few more days im sure, there is literally no hunger after day 2-3 because your body is provided "food" 24 hours straight.
I did take vitamins though, and had coffee and tea.
Oh yeah and i smoked of course.

Agreed. I've been fasting for a long time, and it was quite hard at first, but has become much easier when you know what to expect.

One of the BIG things I learned from fasting is how serious caffeine addiction is. I used to have nothing when fasting - just water. And by 6 or 7PM I was a wreck with a headache, mild dizziness, and nausea. By accident, I learned all of those things were not from the lack of food, but from the lack of caffeine. So now I drink a glass of black coffee in the morning, and now I can go for a long time fasting. I also take a multivitamin, which probably helps some too.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
Anyone who's actually interested in learning how to successfully and sustainably lose weight, I beg you, please read some threads in YLLS about the subject where knowledgeable nerds post, don't listen to GBS weirdos

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

what if I want to destroy my body and mind though?

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Saint Isaias Boner posted:

well, do i have a fad diet for you then

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Saint Isaias Boner posted:

Anime.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

way ahead of you

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Hey thread. I didn't comment on the start of my diet a month ago but this is how it's going:

Boring calorie restriction, with a vegetables don't count clause. Counting calories and measuring food and NOT loving SNACKING ON CANDY BARS OH MY GOD I WAS SUCH AN IDIOT.

Because I have a family with a growing kid who needs carbs and fat for that growth, I'm still making some unhealthy foods and just having very small meals when I do. I hope to check in in another couple months with a graph with a similar slope, approaching merely overweight.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

that's really impressive! 30 lbs in a month, holy poo poo

I've started with a fitness program which will run for the next few months so hopefully that helps me lose a bit of weight

Barudak
May 7, 2007

30 pounds in a month, god drat. Good job, keep it up.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer

feelix posted:

We also unlearned living in caves and dying at 30 of an infected scratch

in turn we learned to get fatter than 3 average persons tied together and needing moving chairs to get around.

not stuffing your face for a loving day is something a healthy individual should be able to do without problems tbh.
if you cant cause youre experiencing serious withdrawal symptoms, theres a good reasons to just do it.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

This is still the Wendy's drive-thru.

The Bible
May 8, 2010

I ate a whole container of prunes and just about poo poo myself inside out, you should try that.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

same but a liter of black coffee a day

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

3D Megadoodoo posted:

This is still the Wendy's drive-thru.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
I ate so many God drat carrots today

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

I love carrots. They more or less satisfy what used to be my candy cravings.

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread

3D Megadoodoo posted:

I know people who do the "fast 16 hours eat during 8 hours" and none of them have lost any weight. (Anecdotal evidence for sure.)

I am/have

20 lbs so far

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread
It concerns me though that I feel P bad at hour 16 ish

Starting to think I'm insulin resistant maybe

?

Had the h1n whatever thing test in March and was on hi side of normal tho. . .

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!
How do you deal with setbacks that seem to have no real explanation? I lost a week's worth of progress in one day and it's bumming me out.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

ikanreed posted:

How do you deal with setbacks that seem to have no real explanation? I lost a week's worth of progress in one day and it's bumming me out.

daily tracking + taking the average or trend line. this will show you that blips happen but remind you that overall, weight has been moving steadily downward

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Sometimes ur water weight and food and a big ol dump just kind of all meet on the same day. Like all the planets aligning. Except with turdin’

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

ikanreed posted:

You'll have lovely days like this and then you might have a day where you lose just as much without any deviations. Bodies are weird, accept it and stay the course.