Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

I only go on the scales every couple weeks and try to plot out a long term trend because I'm very much the type to worry about daily fluctuations. Keeping a simple excel chart or graphing stuff out on paper helps a lot with keeping up motivation when you can actually see that number go down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

Toxic Mental posted:

Except with turdin’

When I used to track my weight daily I'd weight myself before and after my morning poo poo.

Everyone should have be doing this.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Mods like wee bey Ohhhhhhh poo poo reaction gif to that new excel sheet type

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

barbecue at the folks posted:

I only go on the scales every couple weeks and try to plot out a long term trend because I'm very much the type to worry about daily fluctuations. Keeping a simple excel chart or graphing stuff out on paper helps a lot with keeping up motivation when you can actually see that number go down.

Yeah, it's important to find a cadence that works for you. I do my weigh-ins daily to keep my accountability high and make per-day course corrections to stay in my goal weight range.

Saalkin posted:

When I used to track my weight daily I'd weight myself before and after my morning poo poo.

Everyone should have be doing this.

lmao yup

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Even knowing weight can fluctuate, that is a punch in the gut when you think you're doing good and bam! 3 pound gain? What?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

According to google 3 pounds is less than 1½ kg. That's literally literally nothing, your weight will fluctuate that much anyway (and how and where you stand on your scales will affect the reading way more).

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

barbecue at the folks posted:

Also gotta mention the inaccuracies of affordable digital scales. You could weigh yourself and get one number, then take a shower and weigh yourself again and it'll say you gained or lost a pound or two. Some are better than others. The scale sensor grade, condition it's in, room moisture, floor level, etc. all factor into it. They're good enough, but not something you want to depend on for precise, accurate weighing, especially day to day.

Scrotum Modem fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Nov 20, 2023

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr
Dec 22, 2018

I hope this is "battle" enough for you, friend.

Also my morning to evening weight variation is like 3-5lbs so maybe don't fool yourself on precision measurements, more like month by month tracking and keep looking in the mirror and think about how you feel too.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Now if you have to dial back a hole on your belt (assuming you wear a belt), you know things are going in the wrong direction.

In which case, you just keep on trying your best because, literally, what other choice do you have?

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr posted:

Also my morning to evening weight variation is 3 to 5 pounds

Yea same, I never knew this but it's wild^

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

ikanreed posted:

How do you deal with setbacks that seem to have no real explanation? I lost a week's worth of progress in one day and it's bumming me out.

Things that easily make me put on 1-2 kg of water weight over night are creatine, table salt and sweets/very high carb food. Like, 100g of soy sauce have an absolutely insane 15g of salt in it. Going even slightly overboard with it while cooking bloats me up like the Michelin man and makes me feel like poo poo the next day.

My point being is that a lot of stuff in everyday life can make you put on one or two liters of water and it's not a big deal. Water is harmless. You can get rid of it easily by limiting carb intake to 70g the next day.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Well, I don't think even with a Chinese spouse I've ever put a hundred grams of soy sauce in anything.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

I don't think it's even safe to do that, might blow out a kidney or two and have to get a new one

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Americans will dunk their sushi in 100g of soy sauce at an average sushi dinner.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

a serving of tortilla chips is 11 chips. that's like, 90 seconds of mindless eating. no other point to this post other than carb-heavy snacks are insanely calorie dense

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

bradzilla posted:

a serving of tortilla chips is 11 chips. that's like, 90 seconds of mindless eating. no other point to this post other than carb-heavy snacks are insanely calorie dense

Mindless snacking is so easy and effortless, and if you're dieting, so calorie heavy.

Another good diet would be to simply reduce portion sizes at meals by even just a bit, and cut out snacks. Especially at night. And soda and candy if you haven't already cut those out.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
i would call that less 'another good diet' and more 'the very first thing you should try before anything else'

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Mozi posted:

i would call that less 'another good diet' and more 'the very first thing you should try before anything else'

A diet AKA a normal healthy eating pattern.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
I can't live in the gray zone between dieting and eating garbage all the time.

I've tried and bad habits come back so easily

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

"Diet" literally literally just means "what one eats". So your diet is either healthy or it isn't.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

3D Megadoodoo posted:

"Diet" literally literally just means "what one eats". So your diet is either healthy or it isn't.

Obviously I mean explicit restrictions on exactly how much I eat at all times.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!
The damage from 2x Thanksgivings was only 2 pounds.

I can get back on track and lose it!

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

Was hitting the gym hella hard in October but gently caress it's so cold in the morning it's too hard to get out of the bed and go.

How do I get motivated to venture into the cold darkness???

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Had a friend on FB post that they had just left the ICU, where they had been for the last two days due to complications from their type 2 diabetes. They needed money to buy the medicine that was required to continue their treatment. The amount of money they needed just happened to be the same as the profit I've made so far this month on my new vending machine venture. I Venmo'd him the money, and I think this might be the universe's way of telling me that I shouldn't be profiting off of being part of the problem.

Meanwhile, Thanksgiving was only a little weird with me being 60 pounds lighter than the last time I'd seen my family. Got lots of questions about Wegovy, which managed to avoid being too terribly invasive.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

ikanreed posted:

The damage from 2x Thanksgivings was only 2 pounds.

I can get back on track and lose it!

Follow up. The real damage was that my hunger level shot back up to where it was at the start of my diet and I feel famished after having a full appropriate meal.

There's only so many times I can go back to the willpower well before it runs dry. I need to feel normal again.

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

Maybe this will come off as inappropriate here, but sincere question: Is there a thread for the opposite of this thread and trying to gain weight?

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!
More like a subforum. Take a look at the fitness log cabin

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

ikanreed posted:

More like a subforum. Take a look at the fitness log cabin

:cheers:

Piggy Smalls
Jun 21, 2015

BOSS MAKES A DOLLAR,
YOU MAKE A DIME,
I'LL LICK HIS BOOT TILL THOSE MOTHERFUCKERS SHINE.

Brandy has no carbs. FYI.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Down 15 kg as of this mroing. Goal is now/still -28 kg by next Summer. (I don't actually care if it's before my vacation, which is usually June, or after it, just as long as I can go back to work on a bicycle and not have to worry about it breaking under me, again.)

Not counting calories because I don't want to, but using the plate model (dunno what it's called in English) on the big meals.

Well, I eat less potatoes/pasta/rice than that, but whatever. If I add more of the other veg, what harm is it going to do?

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Grey Cat posted:

Maybe this will come off as inappropriate here, but sincere question: Is there a thread for the opposite of this thread and trying to gain weight?

Just do the opposite of everything itt

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Grey Cat posted:

the general lifting & diet thread in ylls. i also struggle to gain weight

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

Month two nowhere near as dramatic as month one, but still a year of this will get me to much better health.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

ikanreed posted:

Month two nowhere near as dramatic as month one, but still a year of this will get me to much better health.

I like how the style of graph implies that there is a maximum of 280 Ibs of weight in the world.

Piggy Smalls
Jun 21, 2015

BOSS MAKES A DOLLAR,
YOU MAKE A DIME,
I'LL LICK HIS BOOT TILL THOSE MOTHERFUCKERS SHINE.

So goons how was your weight loss journey in 2023? Any changes for 2024 as far as diet or exercise?

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
I gained like 15 pounds but also I switched from doing cardio every day to lifting stuff up and down a bunch and now I'm stronk but need to cut. Talking to the wife about getting an elliptical for our garage gym since having a babby makes it really hard to get to real gym

2024 goal is able to still be able to OHP 1 plate and bench 2, but get back down to 200 lbs :hai:

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Nooner posted:

I gained like 15 pounds but also I switched from doing cardio every day to lifting stuff up and down a bunch and now I'm stronk but need to cut. Talking to the wife about getting an elliptical for our garage gym since having a babby makes it really hard to get to real gym

2024 goal is able to still be able to OHP 1 plate and bench 2, but get back down to 200 lbs :hai:

any leg goals op or you just tryna be more like ur av, stick style

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

any leg goals op or you just tryna be more like ur av, stick style

I don't have a squat rack so weight is limited to my OHP capabilities :sigh:

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Nooner posted:

I don't have a squat rack so weight is limited to my OHP capabilities :sigh:

barbell hack squat + deadlift + rdl = phat legs brother

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
I dropped down to 208, now back up to 233. Going to see about getting myself some of the GPL-1 agonists that are in crazy demand right now.