Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Natural 20 posted:

Dawk metamorphofish?
Duck metamorphosis, the spell that allows you to swim without taking damage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Dalek Metamorphosis, the cameo nobody asked for.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Dank Metamorphosis, the edgy fangame remake you just know actually exists somewhere.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Darth Metastasis, the Sith Lord of Cancer.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

more like... dork metamorphosis :smuggo:

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

SirSamVimes posted:

more like... dork metamorphosis :smuggo:
I don't get it, it doesn't seem to do anything :confused:

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Episode 14 - Scree! Scree!

Apologies again guys! Editing got shelved yesterday as I had guests over.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Congrats on beating the rear end in a top hat riders from hell.

Also Tea is a horrible liar and the lightning subweapon is cool as heck.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
Thought for sure those Valhalla Knights were gonna follow you all the way. I know they stopped a set pace in modern games, but after that encounter in the Coliseum, I was gonna bet they weren't gonna pull any punches the whole way through.

cambrian obelus
Sep 14, 2010

I've never seen a French woman before!
Soiled Meat
Now that you no longer need it,

The Form of Mist gives you a little extra distance for your jump if you time it right. You can use this to grab a couple of the ledge items in the Royal Chapel. more importantly, this gives you just enough horizontal distance to get embarrassingly far in the other half of the castle. I forgot about the back half of the library, so I searched for the Form of Bat through the other half of the castle. I only realized how many relics I was missing when I viewed the tactics videos of the bosses I beat.

Also, the librarian sells videos of how to defeat bosses under the tactics menu. Don't worry, it'll only offer videos of bosses you have already beaten. Why does SotN offer videos of bosses after you have beaten them? Cause its cool, and because Rondo of Blood had them.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

The Librarian's boss videos are more than that; they're simulations. There are some situations you can engineer that can actually get Alucard killed in them as a result.

Shiki Dan
Oct 27, 2010

If ya can move ya toes ya back's fine
The thing about the Switch D-pad eating inputs (especially diagonals) is very true and thus it is quite poo poo for FGs in particular.

Ironically, the Pokken controller D-Pad is absolutely the best for FGs on the Wii U and Switch and that's despite it being specifically designed for a 3-D fighting game that actually doesn't have many diagonal inputs for special moves.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

You accidentally did this in the video, but you didn't seem to know how you did it, so I'm spoilering it.

The Agunea (the "useless" subweapon that you had for most of this video) is the most powerful subweapon in the game. If you hold the attack button after firing it, whatever enemy it hits will be hit with repeated lighting bolts (this happened in the video) that do good damage and fire extremely quickly. The only downside is that it will empty your hearts in just a few seconds.

Gnoman fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Jul 24, 2018

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Gnoman posted:

You accidentally did this in the video, but you didn't seem to know how you did it, so I'm spoilering it.

The Agunea (the "useless" subweapon that you had for most of this video) is the most powerful subweapon in the game. If you hold the attack button after firing it, whatever enemy it hits will be hit with repeated lighting bolts (this happened in the video) that do good damage and fire extremely quickly. The only downside is that it will empty your hearts in just a few seconds.

Does the Agunea do that much damage? Even knowing about the multi-hit I always got the sense that think heart for heart you'd get more total damage off of the Cross or possibly the Holy Water.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Omnicrom posted:

Does the Agunea do that much damage? Even knowing about the multi-hit I always got the sense that think heart for heart you'd get more total damage off of the Cross or possibly the Holy Water.

On a per-heart basis, it might not be the strongest. It is the incredible speed at which it does the damage that makes it powerful. It can empty your entire heart supply in three or four seconds, dumping a pretty huge amount of damage into the target. Most bosses have %50-%100 of their HP gone in that time.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
More "Redundant now that you have bat!" chat.

Wolf form can run by double tapping. Running when on an incline like stairs gives you a higher jump. I remember using this to stubbornly do... Something, way back when.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Speaking of redundant poo poo:

You can dive-kick off an enemy for a higher jump. The two ledges in the library can be accessed this way by luring a nearby book, bypassing the need for a double jump.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Section Z posted:

More "Redundant now that you have bat!" chat.

Wolf form can run by double tapping. Running when on an incline like stairs gives you a higher jump. I remember using this to stubbornly do... Something, way back when.
Actually, you need another Relic to do that.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Commander Keene posted:

Actually, you need another Relic to do that.

No, you can run as the wolf by default. You're thinking of the super speed.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Episode 15 - This is Amazing!

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

...Tea, that - that's not how you pronounce 'Aria'.

Also obsessively filling out every square of the map is A Good Thing.

And hell yeah bat friend! :dance: Best familiar.

The big rock you climbed over at around 19 minutes has a secret that you can't possibly figure out without a walkthrough, and I have no idea how anyone found it in the first place...

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
Dawn was fun if a bit of a rehash of Aria, but you noticed it by its touch screen gimmick. If you ever get around to it, I think you'll get frustrated by that aspect pretty quickly.

Is it possible to pass through that door in the spiked hallway with mist, or is that ability limited to when the mist textbox pops up?

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

I'm not certain if the text always pops up or not, but you can only use mist to pass through grate or fence type obstructions. Doors don't have holes to mist through.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Black Robe posted:

The big rock you climbed over at around 19 minutes has a secret that you can't possibly figure out without a walkthrough, and I have no idea how anyone found it in the first place...

I swung at the bats and missed.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Black Robe posted:

I just compulsively attack walls in Castlevania games looking for wall turkey.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I think they're talking about a different secret concerning that rock.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Yeah, I have no idea how you're supposed to figure that one out without a walkthrough.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Episode 16 - Where's The Cheese?

Natural 20 fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Jul 28, 2018

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Frantically scarfing down wall meat while fighting Nosferatou.

BTW Power of Wolf just makes the pupper run faster when sprinting if you have room to get up to speed. It's a badly worded ability description, and not that great because of the lack of places that can make use of it, but fun. Which is a pretty good description for most of this game, they threw in a lot of toys just for fun.

Bruceski fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Jul 28, 2018

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
You need an edged weapon to make enemies bleed :pseudo: Also, shield rod is not so hot as a literal weapon anyways, all it's power is in the more absurd shield gimmicks.

While power of wolf is lackluster on it's own, Skill of Wolf is a D-pad input quick start. Putting them together rules.

gently caress the spoiler tag, there are not enough long stretches of unbroken flooring to take advantage of it as it is :sigh:

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Power of Wolf also does let you plow through enemies as long as you build up speed.

GeminiSun
Feb 16, 2011

Tea please tell him the big rock secret (if you haven't since your latest recording session), it will be great

Seeric
Aug 18, 2011
The sheer degree to which you can put off going to an area in this game is making me realize how truly nonlinear SotN is compared to most other Metroidvanias, even most (all?) of the later Castlevania entries themselves. Sure, Metroidvanias have side areas and secrets, but usually the path for collecting major upgrades is a cleverly obscured, yet nonetheless straight, line. The only other game in this style that I can think of that's intentionally this nonlinear with its main progression path is Hollow Knight, though there are probably at least a few others that I'm forgetting or simply don't know about.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I was surprised there wasn't a secret in the echo bat room to test the new power on. Unless it actually was there somewhere and Nat20 missed it. I don't even remember if it helped spot breakable walls or "see" in super-dark places, because sonar powers exist in other metroidvanias and they might have all mixed together in my head.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Zanzibar Ham posted:

I was surprised there wasn't a secret in the echo bat room to test the new power on. Unless it actually was there somewhere and Nat20 missed it. I don't even remember if it helped spot breakable walls or "see" in super-dark places, because sonar powers exist in other metroidvanias and they might have all mixed together in my head.
The pretty much only use for Echo of Bat is navigating a darkened room to get the Spike Breaker armor, which allows you through that hallway.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
I'm caught up after following this LP for a while now (you got a crazy update schedule!), and am now trying another catch-up - with my second playthrough! I actually recently finished this game for the first time despite playing almost all the other Metroidvanias, and it was so much fun that I immediately started again in a different mode. Luck Mode, to be exact. It's really cool to see you figure out stuff, and I think you having someone knowledgable who's quite restrained is about the same level of me having a lot of 'vania experience, but none with this specific game.
Except for snippets. For example, I knew the Shield Rod did crazy things with shields, but not what the combo for that is. So I played around with buttons until I got it. Same for some other weapon combos, where weird stuff was randomly happening very rarely, so I knew something was up, and again I could figure out combos by just sliding my thumb wildly over the D-pad. That was a lot of fun and completely unlike any other game in this genre. The "let's just throw a BUNCH of stuff in this game" approach works far better than in other genres because the game is so incredibly open-ended - something more linear might at some point require you to do poo poo with the weapon combos or you have a miserable time, or force you to use shields at least once to "tutorialize" you on their use, but SotN doesn't work that way.

After seeing you be strongly discouraged by Tea to not jump down the outside clocktower after beating the weird crow dude I actually distinctly remembered why I never finished this game until now - I had tried it way back on an emulator and had a decent enough time, but did jump down and was like "I did all of this bullshit for nothing, eh?" and that was the end of it. It is rather devious, isn't it?

Zanzibar Ham posted:

A lot of these upgrades are just "there", I feel like. This one is actually mission critical though because it does the second thing you don't remember, not the first (I tried).

Anyway, another thing that kinda just "works" in this game is the plethora of random weapon drops from enemies. There's some weird poo poo you get at like a 5% rate (if even) and it can completely change the way you play the game occasionally. Like, you wouldn't think it's exciting because it's just "a stick instead of a sword" but then you combine it with shields and it's suddenly a completely different level you're playing at? Or you try down-downforward-forward on almost everything and magic happens? That's super cool. It's also why I adore Dawn of Sorrow so much, you get different Soul drops every playthrough and suddenly you shoot fire instead of lightning or grow a scorpion tail and it's surprisingly awesome, and different everytime.

I love these games and now I love SotN as well.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Yeah, SOTN isn't my favorite Metroidvania (that goes to either Aria or Dawn of Sorrow), but it's a pretty close second, and you can see how much love and work was put into the game.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
SOTN was my first Castlevania game despite knowing that it existed since the NES age, but did those Gurkha/Red Smasher enemies first appear in the series for this game or did they come earlier? I remember watching a VLP of Ecclesia, and saw them there too, and couldn't be sure if this was their debut appearance.

I also coulda swore that Olrox only popped up in the Reverse Castle, certainly not this early.

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

I decided to play this for the first time as a result of this thread also, actually. It's been interesting. I'd never played it because I never had a Sony console growing up, though I've played a fair few other Metroidvanias (both Castlevania series and otherwise) so I know the genre, and I've seen LPs of this one previously so I can't claim to have been particularly blind. Still, interesting things have been happening; it's one thing to see it and it's another to play it, I think, and it's kind of interesting playing this after more extensive experience with its successors. This game is really compelling in a way that I'm not sure the later ones captured as well, even if I still really like them and tend to think they're probably better games from a technical standpoint.

I think a lot of the weird unnecessary things they put in (probably just because they could), even if a lot of them are rather janky and have a negligible at best effect on gameplay, contribute a lot of its charm. In some ways I even think the jank contributes to the charm. I mean, I think Aria of Sorrow's magic system is objectively better since it actually gives you controls that make it practical to cast spells in combat, but at the same time it's kind of cool that this game has completely extraneous magic (and that if you know the button inputs, you can do the spell without buying the scroll). You've got loads of secret button input combos that may only work with one item (or a select few) and the game never tells you anything about any of them. Then there are all of the weird consumables you can find that are fun to think about, but does anyone actually use them? They even added an entire menu to let you customise the appearance of one item. All of these things are completely unnecessary to completing the game, most of them aren't even that rewarding to use, and players would never have known to miss them if they weren't there, but they're still there; it's all unpolished and wasteful and I honestly kind of love it, because it's not the sort of thing you tend to see in games any more.

The other thing I'm noticing is that there are a lot of redundant abilities, which is a good way of enabling there to be multiple viable routes through the game, and multiple ways to solve any given "puzzle". Most Metroidvania style games have a sequence that's obviously intended, and even if they often allow you to deviate from it you can usually tell you're doing so (or maybe they'll give you a few intentional alternative routes for a short time but they converge, etc). This game doesn't really feel like that to me; I almost feel tempted to compare it to Breath of the Wild, which is not something I'd have thought to say about a 2D game before. Again, in some ways I think it might be a consequence of lack of polish, or of the genre conventions not having been established, but the game ends up being better for it.

And if you want to laugh at me... I ended up taking a completely different route in my playthrough from the one in the LP (it's not like I've been memorising your videos, heh) and somehow got stuck for quite a while not being able to find the bat form. Which isn't even particularly well hidden, I just somehow refused to see the second exit to the save point :psyduck:. So I ended up exploring about 80% of the castle without it (I used the dive kick to get some places I wasn't otherwise able to, etc) which was... interesting, because I knew it existed but had no recollection of where it was, and was too stubborn to look it up. I love that games like this can end up going completely differently for different people and that multiple routes are viable, even if I was incredibly frustrated when I realised what I'd done.

I ran into an interesting bug with the Olrox fight - the first time I killed the second form, it got stuck in the burning up animation indefinitely and softlocked my game (it didn't register the fight as over, so I was locked in the room with him, but I couldn't kill him either). Has anyone ever seen this happen? The second time I fought him it was fine, so I have no idea what could have caused it.

Also, I am having loads of fun with the Agunea; I've been running terrified from other subweapons since finding one. I also refuse to take off the blood cloak, it makes it so easy to recover hearts after zapping things into oblivion (or even during). This game is really good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Explopyro posted:

Which isn't even particularly well hidden, I just somehow refused to see the second exit to the save point :psyduck:.

I had the same problem the first time I played through. I think there's so many "one room, no exit" save points, that it is easy to get it fixed in your head that "save points have exactly one exit" and not notice that this isn't always true.

• Locked thread