Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I forget whether it was Symphony of the Night or Aria of Sorrow, but in one Metroidvania I do use the Baselard as an early-game weapon because while its attack power isn't great, it has a lightning-fast attack speed, thus allowing it to deal pretty good damage for a fair bit of the early game.

EDIT: Update on previous page.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
It physically hurt watching you flail around the blood skeleton elevator and I want my brain cells back :colbert:

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Pierzak posted:

It physically hurt watching you flail around the blood skeleton elevator and I want my brain cells back :colbert:

I'm sorry Symphony of the Night Blind only accepts brain cells up front. No refunds.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Since you've already done it the hard way, I'll just point out that there's a much easier method for getting up that lift. You just need to kill the blood skeleton on the switch to send up the lift, then stand under it and wait until the skeleton gets up and the lift starts lowering, and if you time it right you can jump to the lift when it's about halfway down and have just enough elevation to make a second jump up to the ledge.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Cerebral Bore posted:

Since you've already done it the hard way, I'll just point out that there's a much easier method for getting up that lift. You just need to kill the blood skeleton on the switch to send up the lift, then stand under it and wait until the skeleton gets up and the lift starts lowering, and if you time it right you can jump to the lift when it's about halfway down and have just enough elevation to make a second jump up to the ledge.

OH GOD loving DAMNIT.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Natural 20 posted:

OH GOD loving DAMNIT.
If it helps, it's been so loving long since I've played this I couldn't remember how I did it so you seemed fine in theory if not time :v:

Also embrace the knife wielding maniac within. Not like you are using a shield anyways, so take your new sharp object for a button mashing test drive in your offhand.

Shiki Dan
Oct 27, 2010

If ya can move ya toes ya back's fine
Yeah, that's the advantage of dual-wielding in this game, especially compared to later Metroidvanias where you aren't given the convenience of having a button control each hand.

Don't get too caught up into the RPG mindset of "bigger ATK power = better weapon".
DPS is a lot more important. Or, you can keep your stronger, longer slower sword in one hand for enemies that you want to keep your distance from, and the faster, smaller sword in the other hand for enemies you want to run up dispatch quickly.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
We interrupt our regularly scheduled programming to suggest that it might in fact be coming home.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Shiki Dan posted:

DPS is a lot more important. Or, you can keep your stronger, longer slower sword in one hand for enemies that you want to keep your distance from, and the faster, smaller sword in the other hand for enemies you want to run up dispatch quickly.

More than DPS I tend to care about attack range. Even in the early weapons in this game, there's some likt the current sword with a decent reach, and others that aren't much more than a punch.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

I mean, when I play SotN I more or less beeline for one particular weapon and end up using it for two thirds of the game if not more because it's both fast and nutso strong even before it's incredibly powerful gimmick.

No points for guessing which weapon I'm talking about.

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider
I'm just going to repeat what everybody is saying that you shouldn't rely on only a weapon's attack power. Many weapons have a gimmick that the power alone doesn't reveal, whether it be way better range, swinging speed, really useful attack pattern, or even two attacks in one (so you basically have to double the attack power in your head).

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Gimbal lock posted:

I'm just going to repeat what everybody is saying that you shouldn't rely on only a weapon's attack power. Many weapons have a gimmick that the power alone doesn't reveal, whether it be way better range, swinging speed, really useful attack pattern, or even two attacks in one (so you basically have to double the attack power in your head).

Or "only good with a button combination that you either need a strategy guide/internet for or the kind of person who hits stuff randomly to see what happens" but I think that's just a couple.

Ayndin
Mar 13, 2010

Bruceski posted:

Or "only good with a button combination that you either need a strategy guide/internet for or the kind of person who hits stuff randomly to see what happens" but I think that's just a couple.

Well Nat20 saw one weapon (back before Death stole Alucard's awesome gear) do something neat when he did a fireball motion; food for thought for other weapons, clearly. Edit: spoilered, just in case it's too much.

But yeah, I think the generally-accepted-as-best weapon in the game is pretty down there in terms of its attack bonus. Use what you're comfortable with, the rest will sort itself out, probably.

Ayndin fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Jul 4, 2018

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Omnicrom posted:

I mean, when I play SotN I more or less beeline for one particular weapon and end up using it for two thirds of the game if not more because it's both fast and nutso strong even before it's incredibly powerful gimmick.

How about I guess the opposite for one of my stupider favorites. Dive kicking blunt resistant enemies and bosses to death out of spite.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Natural 20 posted:

We interrupt our regularly scheduled programming to suggest that it might in fact be coming home.

Please record a session during the next match so we can hear you and Tea screaming at random intervals.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Black Robe posted:

Please record a session during the next match so we can hear you and Tea screaming at random intervals.

It would just be me! Tea isn't a fan of football. (Or any sports)

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Omnicrom posted:

Yeah but the best weapon is way later than 1/3 of the game so maybe I'm missing something. You're not talking about the Crissaegrim but one of the katanas, right?

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Pierzak posted:

Yeah but the best weapon is way later than 1/3 of the game so maybe I'm missing something. You're not talking about the Crissaegrim but one of the katanas, right?

Neither of them.

Ayndin
Mar 13, 2010

Omnicrom posted:

Neither of them.

I assume it's the Shield Rod, that's usually my go-to weapon until I find the better swords hanging around in the bowels of the castle.

edit: Since this is starting to look like a CIA document, I will say that I'm looking forward to Nat20 getting some more of the keys for all the exploration locks we've seen so far. Hopefully he remembers them for the obligatory 'well now I can do poo poo so let's revisit areas and get loot' tour.

Ayndin fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Jul 4, 2018

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
My favorite weapon is certainly not the best, but it's got a lot of heart!

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Episode 06 - No Shame In Dying Here

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Natural 20 posted:

blatant savestate cheating
Natural 20 my rear end, more like Rerolled 20 :colbert:

Also geese are evil, wargeese sound more terrifying than falcons.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

At 6:45 a bone halberd dropped a new weapon for you, a Javelin. I think it's an upgrade.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
gently caress yeah double jump. Hold down while mashing the jump button for dive kicks :black101: I'm pretty sure nothing in the actual game lets you know this.

It... doesn't do very much damage, but it's loving hilarious to treat medusa heads as floating platforms to bounce off of.

Bruceski posted:

At 6:45 a bone halberd dropped a new weapon for you, a Javelin. I think it's an upgrade.
Good news, it does some decent damage. Bad news, consumable ammo based weapon.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
I've genuinely never seen the hippogryph lay eggs during combat before.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Pierzak posted:

Natural 20 my rear end, more like Rerolled 20 :colbert:

Also geese are evil, wargeese sound more terrifying than falcons.

It's Alucard's little known time control ability.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Section Z posted:

gently caress yeah double jump. Hold down while mashing the jump button for dive kicks :black101: I'm pretty sure nothing in the actual game lets you know this.
You don't need the double jump to do this.
I'm legitimately surprised every time somebody skips that ledge in the library that you can get on by dive-kicking a book

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Pierzak posted:

You don't need the double jump to do this.
I'm legitimately surprised every time somebody skips that ledge in the library that you can get on by dive-kicking a book

I would suspect it's because The way you do Non-Double Jump Divekicks isn't exactly obvious, and neither are their value as a navigation aid.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Omnicrom posted:

I would suspect it's because The way you do Non-Double Jump Divekicks isn't exactly obvious, and neither are their value as a navigation aid.
Yes, but nobody seems to do this. Even the sequence-breaker completionist blah blah, it's really weird.

Also, WHICH WEAPON

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Pierzak posted:

Yes, but nobody seems to do this. Even the sequence-breaker completionist blah blah, it's really weird.

Also, WHICH WEAPON

I mean, I always use that particular thingy to do Clock Tower before Royal Chapel. Oddly speaking the game seems to be somewhat designed to do this actually. Consider that the gear in there isn't particularly above curve and with the exception of the goddamn harpies the enemies actually aren't very strong. Really though the Clock Tower in general is kind of odd in general, it's the only totally optional zone in the game's first half AFAICR and the stuff you can find in it makes it seem like you want to go there immediately but it doesn't really fit into the game's general flow.

And the weapon was the Shield Rod, for having the highest attack of anything in the first castle if equipped with a shield and for keeping utility for the entire game thanks to its busted as hell special ability.

Sorry to keep spewing black bars Tea20.

Omnicrom fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Jul 5, 2018

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
Don't apologise! I'm really happy to see everyone chatting about the game and it'll be a bunch of fun to go back over when we're done.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

It's cool to see this after the MM9/MM10 LPs, since like them my sense of the intended progression of this game is warped by watching a lot of TAS content. I'm thus a lot more used to the protagonist speeding through everything and/or glitching their way around the map than I am to seeing a human player pondering their route.

That said, do some more exploring in the areas you went by.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Episode 07 - That's It, I'm Done

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Hey, you finally found out about breakable walls.

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider
Everybody loves the shield rod but nobody ever seems into ma boi the holy rod

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Gimbal lock posted:

Everybody loves the shield rod but nobody ever seems into ma boi the holy rod
The latter's great, lots of enemies are vulnerable to that element. I found the former kinda meh, sure it's effective but that's really all it's got going for it because I'm too lazy to gently caress around with all the special options (besides, if I were to use the best one I might as well grab the actual bullshit weapon and be done with it).

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Tyrfang's shtick is that it's -30 strength but is dark and cut damage. Not only is it the first dark sword, but wheras most dual-property weapons have proportional damage (so a holy/blunt weapon would be half-holy half-blunt and do half damage to creatures immune to either) Tyrfang deals full damage unless a creature is immune to both.

Given this game and the fandom someone probably has some gimmick build that takes advantage of that, but it's easier to whack things with a weapon that's not -30 strength.

Whammiewazzle
Apr 29, 2016

In regards to guns in Castlevania games, i don't know about this game, but Aria of Sorrow has 2 handguns and a laser rifle.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Whammiewazzle posted:

In regards to guns in Castlevania games, i don't know about this game, but Aria of Sorrow has 2 handguns and a laser rifle.

One of the characters in Castlevania Legacy of Darkness used a Gun. His was a non-standard and somewhat stupid game mode, but he shot the crap out of things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
A Contra-esque guy shooting up Dracula's castle could have been a lot of fun.

• Locked thread