Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Natural 20 posted:

To my chagrin, the blind nature of the run does not lend itself to voting, so unfortunately thread interaction will be limited to laughing as I flail at the game horribly. (The fortunate upside of this is that Tea and I can now afford to bank episodes meaning we shouldn’t see large content breaks)

Don't forget yelling at the screen in impotent rage, the most attractive part of any blind run aside from "I'm going to ignore the spoiler rules and talk about everything as if it's obvious so I can feel smart for once in my life" that makes Dark Souls streams so popular.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Those tables are no joke. Not only are they small enough to be under most weapon swings, with a hitbox large enough (due to those floating tableware) to make reach an issue, but they're placed in spots that can easily knock you into a screen transition or other bad position.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Y'all may want to stop being coy and just add "pointing at save points along the way" to the list of permissible info.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Shiki Dan posted:

DPS is a lot more important. Or, you can keep your stronger, longer slower sword in one hand for enemies that you want to keep your distance from, and the faster, smaller sword in the other hand for enemies you want to run up dispatch quickly.

More than DPS I tend to care about attack range. Even in the early weapons in this game, there's some likt the current sword with a decent reach, and others that aren't much more than a punch.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Gimbal lock posted:

I'm just going to repeat what everybody is saying that you shouldn't rely on only a weapon's attack power. Many weapons have a gimmick that the power alone doesn't reveal, whether it be way better range, swinging speed, really useful attack pattern, or even two attacks in one (so you basically have to double the attack power in your head).

Or "only good with a button combination that you either need a strategy guide/internet for or the kind of person who hits stuff randomly to see what happens" but I think that's just a couple.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

At 6:45 a bone halberd dropped a new weapon for you, a Javelin. I think it's an upgrade.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Tyrfang's shtick is that it's -30 strength but is dark and cut damage. Not only is it the first dark sword, but wheras most dual-property weapons have proportional damage (so a holy/blunt weapon would be half-holy half-blunt and do half damage to creatures immune to either) Tyrfang deals full damage unless a creature is immune to both.

Given this game and the fandom someone probably has some gimmick build that takes advantage of that, but it's easier to whack things with a weapon that's not -30 strength.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Omnicrom posted:

One of the characters in Castlevania Legacy of Darkness used a Gun. His was a non-standard and somewhat stupid game mode, but he shot the crap out of things.

The 64 games were bad but entirely for "early 3D platformer" reasons, it's a shame the rest of it was a casualty. Warring werewolves, a child survivor of a vampire attack showing up 20 years later in full plate and a gun to rescue other kids, skeletons on motorbikes with machinegun-equipped sidecars (even if apocryphal for 1850), it was wonderful.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Pierzak posted:

Well that was a waste of time. Tea, you're a huge rear end in a top hat for telling Nat20 to go to the Clock Tower.

I can't tell if this is sarcasm or you missed that the place where he said "don't drop down!" leads to the part he couldn't jump high enough to get up. If you fall now before getting a warp point, you have to go all the way back around.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Draculax was pretty good, shame the lack of support for the PSP means I traded mine in ages ago while I have all sorts of game boys and cartridges still around.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Yeah, the lesser demon hits like a truck. Nice job not dying to it when caught by surprise.

An example of different weapons having advantages other than their dps, the holy rod has a different hitbox to the swords you've been using. Not only is it larger at the tip, but it swings out a bit higher up when the swords you've seen just go straight out. Not a drastic enough change to plan around, but you're generally going to have fewer times when you barely miss an enemy, particularly with fleamen or other small/nimble foes.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

I like the flow of this area. "So we give them the mist pick-up which is a glorified key right now and want to direct them to where it can be used without putting that place physically nearby or else the mist feels like a needless extra step. I know, let's give the player an item to teleport to the shop, and then put their goal near the shop!" Guiding while still allowing the player to meander.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Gnoman posted:

That was good, but his reaction to learning why the Time Stop is the worst subweapon in the game was better.

Time Stop is great until you encounter anything you actually want to use it on.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Black Robe posted:

The big rock you climbed over at around 19 minutes has a secret that you can't possibly figure out without a walkthrough, and I have no idea how anyone found it in the first place...

I swung at the bats and missed.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Frantically scarfing down wall meat while fighting Nosferatou.

BTW Power of Wolf just makes the pupper run faster when sprinting if you have room to get up to speed. It's a badly worded ability description, and not that great because of the lack of places that can make use of it, but fun. Which is a pretty good description for most of this game, they threw in a lot of toys just for fun.

Bruceski fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Jul 28, 2018

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Gnoman posted:

As an aside, I completely forgot that Disc Armor Discus Lords were in this game.

Aria of Sorrow didn't copy the map but they kept enough of its general feel and layout (entry hallway to an area over a lake full of fishmen for example) that I keep doing double-takes. The waterfall's rather infamous for example, and I could've sworn that switch had a picture next to it.

Bruceski fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Aug 2, 2018

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Lazy Bear posted:

Hm, a switch!

20 years ago I was playing this game with a couple of friends, and our reaction was about the same as Nat's was for that line.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Jamesman posted:

Nah she has underwear on, but her baps are hanging out in the breeze.

I even think they made an action figure of her that was also topless.

Our reaction to that back in '97 was "yup, not a Nintendo game." Also for Alura Une, the flower girl.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Dareon posted:

I could swear that the sword forged by elves I found on that platform in the PS1 version was not named Luminus. Maybe it was a Tolkien reference that got scrubbed for whatever rerelease you're playing, or I'm just a big dumb with swiss cheese for a brain.

Most of the time, the straight defense of the Walk Armor is going to be better than any elemental mail. There are a few bosses or areas that could benefit from specializing, though. Richter, for instance, is less of a headache with Holy Mail on.

In the Japanese version it's Orcrist. There were a bunch of those that got changed in the translation due to rights issues.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

ZeButler posted:

So, I guess we can throw another boss onto the pile of things Nat20 has chumped.

I've never found the bat to be really not-chumpable. If you've gotten this far it's your intro to the inverse castle and you almost certainly have the tools to take it.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Dreamcast version of Skies of Arcadia definitely had that "listen for the disc spinning up to avoid encounters" thing. That's how I got through the headwind slog back in college. GC version added items to raise/lower encounter rate which helped a bunch.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

I think Order of Ecclesia is the only truly hard one of these games, and even that eventually gets you into some sort of power curve. It's just really unforgiving for a while.

Don't play these games for a Dark Souls experience. They're for exploration, new toys, and giggling when you discover one of the ludicrously overkill weapons/spells/etc.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

I'm not sure saying "[rare drop top-tier weapon] makes X a pushover" is a useful sentence. The reason they're top-tier weapons is because they make EVERYTHING a pushover.

This has motivated me to start up a luck run. Man, when stats are in the toilet Summon Spirit is a lifesaver. Rips things apart in the early game.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Insert Nic Cage memes here.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

I signed up for a blind run in order to be immensely frustrated when a runner misses things and by God this LP has delivered.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

For the record, these are all bosses from the original game holding Dracula's bits. Bat, Medusa, Mummy, Creature.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Marsil is probably a mistype of Narsil and falls under the "somebody translating was a big Tolkien dork" category of weapons/rings. SotN has quite a few.

E: looking it up I got my wires crossed. The Tolkien stuff was not all from translations, some of them only have Tolkien names in the Japanese. And then others gained different Tolkien names in the English version. So who knows what was going on there, somebody's probably got a 600MB Geocities page about it.

Bruceski fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Sep 4, 2018

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

It's really not fair to tell Nat there's another secret with the boulder without saying what it is. It's there purely to sell strategy guides.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Shitenshi posted:

The only strategy I read from a gaming magazine to kill Beelzebub back in the day was the gas cloud, and considering this was before I had the internet, it was viable as far as I was concerned. I didn't know what you had to go through to get it at the time though, so gently caress whoever wrote that. If you can beat Galamoth, poo poo, you're good for anything.

So many tips for all sorts of games are like this. "You're having trouble THERE? That part's easy with [op gear I grinded ten hours to get this early]."

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Man, the video encoding does NOT like that final fight.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Natural 20 posted:

No it really doesn't.

Which is annoying as hell but probably not worth redoing with an entirely different encoder I'm completely unfamiliar with.

Between the motion, the flashing, and that rotating fire background I'm not sure there's any encoding that would handle it well. Even if you found something that somehow managed to avoid massive filesizes, Youtube would probably botch it.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Being all melodramatic and fake-dying while playing with his kid. Dadcula.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Natural 20 posted:

And as you might have guessed from that, I'm lifting the spoiler policy since I finished the game a few weeks ago.

Well then to start it off, the familiar you missed in Olrox's quarters is the Sword Familiar. Flies around slashing things, at level 50 it turns into an equippable weapon, and gives access to a Sword Brothers spell which is a full-screen attack (but I've never had the thumb skill to manage it. Down, half-circle to up(hold), down+attack). And it yells out "slash" and such while attacking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

That sort of thing's going to depend on the designer and their personality. I can see perfectionist designers, for example, reacting badly, but I think it's safe to assume that if he was going to do that he wouldn't have agreed to the video.

• Locked thread