Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Commander Keene posted:

The "magic salt" is actually probably plain old vanilla table or rock salt. Salt was believed to have mystical purification powers in many mythologies due to its role in preserving food from decay (which, before it was understood that microbes were the cause, was believed to be the work of witches or demons). Hence the practice of throwing a pinch of spilled salt over your shoulder to ward off evil, or the Supernatural TV show's obsession with rock salt bullets.
The Castlevania item is "wibuti" (or vibhuti), which is sacred ash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

UnSmith posted:

Also, Luck mode is the real Castlevania SOTN mode. No other mode will do.
This. It forces you to think unconventionally and getting weapon drops is actually something you can plan for instead of farming specific items

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Cerebral Bore posted:

Oh my god the save point missing. Just as a general tip, you do want to at least poke your head into every room you come across. Could save you a lot of grief.
And we do mean literally just poke head, not actually go into the room so a stone slab cuts off your escape route and you go "umm that looks like a boss room" like you did with Slogra and Gaibon.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
gently caress you it's 3AM and I have a deadline in the morning! :argh:

...aw gently caress it, I needed a break anyway.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
It physically hurt watching you flail around the blood skeleton elevator and I want my brain cells back :colbert:

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Omnicrom posted:

I mean, when I play SotN I more or less beeline for one particular weapon and end up using it for two thirds of the game if not more because it's both fast and nutso strong even before it's incredibly powerful gimmick.

No points for guessing which weapon I'm talking about.
Yeah but the best weapon is way later than 1/3 of the game so maybe I'm missing something. You're not talking about the Crissaegrim but one of the katanas, right?

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Natural 20 posted:

blatant savestate cheating
Natural 20 my rear end, more like Rerolled 20 :colbert:

Also geese are evil, wargeese sound more terrifying than falcons.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Section Z posted:

gently caress yeah double jump. Hold down while mashing the jump button for dive kicks :black101: I'm pretty sure nothing in the actual game lets you know this.
You don't need the double jump to do this.
I'm legitimately surprised every time somebody skips that ledge in the library that you can get on by dive-kicking a book

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Omnicrom posted:

I would suspect it's because The way you do Non-Double Jump Divekicks isn't exactly obvious, and neither are their value as a navigation aid.
Yes, but nobody seems to do this. Even the sequence-breaker completionist blah blah, it's really weird.

Also, WHICH WEAPON

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Gimbal lock posted:

Everybody loves the shield rod but nobody ever seems into ma boi the holy rod
The latter's great, lots of enemies are vulnerable to that element. I found the former kinda meh, sure it's effective but that's really all it's got going for it because I'm too lazy to gently caress around with all the special options (besides, if I were to use the best one I might as well grab the actual bullshit weapon and be done with it).

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Well that was a waste of time. Tea, you're a huge rear end in a top hat for telling Nat20 to go to the Clock Tower.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Bruceski posted:

I can't tell if this is sarcasm or you missed that the place where he said "don't drop down!" leads to the part he couldn't jump high enough to get up. If you fall now before getting a warp point, you have to go all the way back around.
At that moment I actually wanted him to drop, give up on this whole location, and go into pretty much any other unexplored part of the map, and come back later with higher level and better equipment. Clock Tower is poo poo and watching someone bumble through it ceased being entertaining after the second time.

AceOfFlames posted:

If you recall the video before this, Tea was trying to push Nat20 into going to the BOTTOM of the Outer Wall or the library.
Oh? I could swear I remember him telling Nat20 to go the top route, at which I immediately reacted "YOU SADISTIC MOTHERFUCKER!!!". Unless he meant the save point in the top part, but I guess you have to be clearer when giving advice to someone with a visceral hate of savepoints :v:

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Cyflan posted:

Yeah, that version is also completely retranslated(for better or for worse), and includes a bit of new stuff.
Wait, really? I could swear it was the same thing as on PS1.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Cyflan posted:

Hellfire is incredibly useful, just because of the teleport.
You don't even have to throw the actual fireballs.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Natural 20 posted:

Dawk metamorphofish?
Duck metamorphosis, the spell that allows you to swim without taking damage.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

SirSamVimes posted:

more like... dork metamorphosis :smuggo:
I don't get it, it doesn't seem to do anything :confused:

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Speaking of redundant poo poo:

You can dive-kick off an enemy for a higher jump. The two ledges in the library can be accessed this way by luring a nearby book, bypassing the need for a double jump.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Might wanna spoiler that out before Nat20 realizes the implications and spoils his reaction.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Aug 5, 2018

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Mr Cow posted:

on the subject of familiars sdfasfadsfsdafdsfdsfsadfsddfsadfsadfadsdfadfsfasfasfasddfasdfsafafsd
:ssh: I want to see Nat's reaction when he discovers one of the major secrets in the inverted castle and realizes how far he's gonna have to backtrack for the first one.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
New update on youtube, Nat is probably drunk again or something.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Wait, what the actual gently caress? I distinctly remember the holy glasses making bitterflies visible all the time. How do they not work for you? :psyduck:

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
I never knew Venus Weeds could turn purple, I always thought it was basic color then blood red.

Also, the impaled guys are glued onto the pikes. They're the Transylvanian equivalent of garden gnomes.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Ah, the one thing that can actually pose a threat if you're careless, even with the bullshit weapons.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
He did not. He should have the cat item, though.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Mr Cow posted:

*when you do the teleport into fireball move with alucard if you hold up during it, it will fire black orbs instead of the fireballs
And you can hold down to cancel the fireballs and just teleport. Not sure if it has any actual use, but the option is there.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

Question..why 200.6%?

Wouldn't 1 castle be 50ish and the second castle the other 50?
The first castle is 100% and the second 100%, probably not to spoil the existence of the second castle. The 0.6% is because someone miscalculated/added a room afterwards.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Section Z posted:

Which is nice but see "By the time you get it..." because even Nat was loaded up on cool toys by then.
He still managed to not use the Moonstone (despite the active bonus showing up fir a second in one video) in favor of inferior powerups.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Natural 20 posted:

Downside is my bad wisecracks about the events of the game are gone.
Why

why would you do that

bring them back

(And if you're talking about the pics in the OP, straight downgrade imo. Too big (I'd make them about the size of the "Episodes" pic or not much bigger), not separated so they blend together, very visibly filtered background clashing with crisp text)

Pierzak fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Sep 23, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Simply Simon posted:

In which Nat 20 discovers that it's Jigglypuff from above!
I'd have missed that subtitle. It'd be much better in the pic, as a smaller white text below the main one.

• Locked thread