Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Hey, you finally found out about breakable walls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

ItBreathes posted:

Didn't you have to get a lucky drop from a super enemy in the super colosseum to even get Black Dog to begin with (or play mage)?

Yep. Black Dog was one of the worst (due to the insane difficulty of the area you had to go), but most of the spell cards were a pain to get in that game. I spent three hours trying to get one of them.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

The card system was fine. Gaining so many of the cards via a sub <1% drop rate from random enemies was the problem.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Commander Keene posted:

Shields provide a passive defense bonus even when you're not holding them up, and when held will block many projectiles. They won't block normal melee attacks and some larger projectiles, though, and their blocking is limited to their own hitbox, so things can go above or below the shield and still hit you. That said, I usually have a weapon in each hand for adventuring sections, and switch to a shield in one hand for enemies with projectiles and/or hard-hitting bosses.

Of course, the same person insisting that shields are worthless is also claiming that most of the subweapons are useless, which is just as wrong.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Sheen Sheen posted:

Unfortunately no, just a PS4 :( I'm pretty sure I can't download it off PSN for PS4

I know it will never happen, but this is like the perfect game to release for Switch

If you have a PSP, it is included in the Dracula X Chronicles.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Pierzak posted:

Wait, really? I could swear it was the same thing as on PS1.

It has been fully retranslated, with the intent of being more faithful to the Japanese original script. For example, the intro reads:

quote:

Richter: Dracula. Die now, and leave this world! You'll never belong here!
Dracula: Oh, but this world invited me. Your own kind called me forth with praise and tribute.
Richter: Tribute? You're a thief. You steal men's souls, their freedom...
Dracula: Freedom is always sacrificed to faith, good hunter. Or are you truly here by choice?
Richter: All I'm here for is you. To hell with your heresy! You're nothing but a blight on mankind.
Dracula: Ha! Mankind. A cesspit of hatred and lies. Fight for them, then, and die for their sins!

Instead of the more familiar version

quote:

Richter: Die monster. You don't belong in this world!
Dracula: It was not by my hand that I am once again given flesh. I was called here by humans who wish to pay me tribute.
Richter: Tribute!?! You steal men's souls and make them your slaves!
Dracula: Perhaps the same could be said of all religions...
Richter: Your words are as empty as your soul! Mankind ill needs a savior such as you!
Dracula: What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets. But enough talk... Have at you!

It also includes two familiars originally left out of the game, as well as the option of Japanese audio.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

There's another nice thing about it.

I have no idea how you're supposed to figure out weapon spells, but the Holy Rod has one of the easiest to trigger by accident.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

bladeworksmaster posted:

Your genuine reaction to the plot there was brilliant.

That was good, but his reaction to learning why the Time Stop is the worst subweapon in the game was better.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Bruceski posted:

Time Stop is great until you encounter anything you actually want to use it on.

Exactly. This is what makes it the only bad subweapon in the game. Everything else is extremely useful, but the Time Stop is only good against enemies that aren't worth the trouble.

Regarding the end of the update
I don't think he's ever going to figure out what makes the Shield Rod so amazing unless he's told how to do the spell. As far as I know, the game never tells you about it.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Commander Keene posted:

I argue that the Vibhuti or whatever it's called (the "magic salt") is worse than the Stopwatch, mostly because I can't think of any situation I'd use it that the Holy Water isn't objectively better for.

That weapon has a slightly higher damage formula, and the different trajectory can be useful. Holy water is probably better in most cases, but "not as good" isn't the same as "bad".

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

You accidentally did this in the video, but you didn't seem to know how you did it, so I'm spoilering it.

The Agunea (the "useless" subweapon that you had for most of this video) is the most powerful subweapon in the game. If you hold the attack button after firing it, whatever enemy it hits will be hit with repeated lighting bolts (this happened in the video) that do good damage and fire extremely quickly. The only downside is that it will empty your hearts in just a few seconds.

Gnoman fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Jul 24, 2018

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Omnicrom posted:

Does the Agunea do that much damage? Even knowing about the multi-hit I always got the sense that think heart for heart you'd get more total damage off of the Cross or possibly the Holy Water.

On a per-heart basis, it might not be the strongest. It is the incredible speed at which it does the damage that makes it powerful. It can empty your entire heart supply in three or four seconds, dumping a pretty huge amount of damage into the target. Most bosses have %50-%100 of their HP gone in that time.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

I'm not certain if the text always pops up or not, but you can only use mist to pass through grate or fence type obstructions. Doors don't have holes to mist through.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Explopyro posted:

Which isn't even particularly well hidden, I just somehow refused to see the second exit to the save point :psyduck:.

I had the same problem the first time I played through. I think there's so many "one room, no exit" save points, that it is easy to get it fixed in your head that "save points have exactly one exit" and not notice that this isn't always true.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

The bat can attack enemies for fairly mediocre damage (The Shield Rod is a pretty bad weapon by itself, and still massively outdamages the bat). The Fairy can use healing items on you (several of which are explicitly listed as unique to her) and tells you where the secret walls are

Fairy is objectively a better familiar.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Now you know how those "useless" boots you picked up before are situationally better than the bat. They can break things if you accidentally trigger them with no idea you did so.

As an aside, I completely forgot that Disc Armor Discus Lords were in this game.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

That succubus fight is pretty amusing because of how nasty Alucard gets there. When he chats with Death earlier, he's just got an attitude of "have to make the bad castle go away" - but here he's practically gloating about the special hell he's claiming that the Succubus is consigned to.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Commander Keene posted:

Death wasn't impersonating his mother and basically spitting on Alucard's memory of her last moments.

Of course. I just find it well done - Alucard comes across almost emotionless most of the time, but it shows here.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Something is confusing me.

Are there no Nova Skeletons in the normal castle? I was really looking forward to those.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

I'm pretty sure that her in-game sprite is bottomless.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Neat thing is, if you go through the normal castle again, you can really tell that the area is designed for inverted play.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Zanzibar Ham posted:

The real secret was the friends we made along the way...

I'll be serious, I agree with Nat20 on the whole secret-search thing. While SotN is awesome and way ahead of its time in many ways, one of the things later games majorly improved on was making it easier (or actually possible) to find secret rooms and such after a point.

As is Nat20 can either just forge ahead, only going back for better equipment if they run into a major roadblock, or spend videos upon videos trying to hit every wall/floor/ceiling to find everything, which would get real drat tiring for everyone involved.

You must be joking.

All of the secret rooms can be found easily, because pretty much every gap on the map is a secret area. Also, the fairy will point at every wall you can break. Finding the secrets in this game is trivial if you put any effort at all into it.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

I figured it out about 25 minutes into the game. It's extremely obvious.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

The Alucard shield will kill the final boss in under a second. It is just as well if Natural20 can't figure out what it does.

If Nova Skeletons were a little bit sturdier, they'd rank among the biggest rear end in a top hat enemies in gaming history. As it is, they're glass cannons that can be dealt with even though they hit like a ton of bricks.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

The only problem with the blind format is that this particular game explains so little. Too many of the items don't tell you how to use them, and you don't always see the real effect of things unless you trigger them accidentally or happen to have gotten a hint from a completely unrelated source that you can very easily not even see.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

IIRC, the game is available on the 360 as well.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

I forgot how legitimately hard that boss is when you let him live more than 5 seconds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

I was really hoping the Medusa Shield would drop. Not only is the Shield Rod spell (eye lasers) hilariously awesome, he just might have figured out that it damages enemies on contact - which probably would have taught him that that is a thing he could do, and give him a hint for the Alucard Shield.

• Locked thread