Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Jean

Jean is an old hand at sneaking around and trying to find who and where the men with the guns are. Even in a new city, it doesn't take much effort to to scope out the competition.

Shadowing 16:
3d6=10 https://rolz.org/info?X34479192

He also saw Grun wander off, but was confident the Amsterdamer knew what he was doing.

Tunicate fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Jun 29, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stago Lego
Sep 3, 2011
Grunn

Grunn finds a childrens bike in the dumpster. It's rusty and ugly and the tires are bended. Grunn will use this to drive to his comrades and use the frame for a blowpipe.

Speaking loudly to the pliceman: "Yes, this find has made me gay as daisy in May! Good day to you sir!"

I drive of to my comrades!!

Bicycling 12

Grunn: [ roll 3d6 = 7 ]

Stago Lego fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Jun 29, 2018

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

OscarDiggs posted:

Responding to a roll of 15

Rupert Sebastian Barntale-Sanquith Esq.

No matter how high quality, well stocked and guarded a place became, one could never quite remove the atmosphere of a good old fashioned Bar. This was not a place where deals were made; that would take time, trust and fine dining. But it was adjacent to deal-making; the best a man in his position could hope for.

“Evening” Rupert inclines his head to a group of three by the door, BBC accent thick. Non-nonchalantly he strolls to the bar, humming a tune. The humming was important, projecting himself into this place; not quite an invasion but definitely something that should not be. It also spoke of brash over-confidence. No one was quite as brash and over-confident as a rich man who has been insulated from the consequences of his actions all of his life, and who else is going to be buying mercenaries? All eyes were on him now, sure as anything. Especially the ones that were looking away.

He internally winces when he eyes the room himself. It hurt his professional instincts to be so obvious when scanning the crowd, but when one is fishing one must provide bait. The bait here; a rich swot from the Empire of Gun Running looking for some chaps capable of a bit of violence. The fish, some slightly drunk soldiering types looking for a job. A fake story here, some questions of capability there and a fresh round of drinks for his hosts at the most opportune times. Desire, pride and drink will tell him everything he needs to know. Rupert need only wait.

His role isn't that perfect, but Rupert's natural charm brings out smiles and drinks.

He learns that there are two big mercenary groups operating out of Great Lakes: the Red Devils (who mostly perform water operations like anti-piracy efforts and underwater demolitions out of Milwaukee) and Steel Talon (a mechanized force with a large number of locally produced Detroit tanks). They've both been around for a year or two and generally stick to local stuff in Great Lakes or Canada.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Stago Lego posted:

Grunn

Grunn finds a childrens bike in the dumpster. It's rusty and ugly and the tires are bended. Grunn will use this to drive to his comrades and use the frame for a blowpipe.

Speaking loudly to the pliceman: "Yes, this find has made me gay as daisy in May! Good day to you sir!"

I drive of to my comrades!!

Bicycling 12

Grunn: [ roll 3d6 = 7 ]

The officer is utterly perplexed as Grunn pulls out the old bike, so stunned that he doesn't even try to stop him as he rides away.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Tunicate posted:

Jean

Jean is an old hand at sneaking around and trying to find who and where the men with the guns are. Even in a new city, it doesn't take much effort to to scope out the competition.

Shadowing 16:
3d6=10 https://rolz.org/info?X34479192

He also saw Grun wander off, but was confident the Amsterdamer knew what he was doing.

Jean sees a man walking down the street in a gray uniform with a red patch on his shoulder. Slipping through the crowd and grabbing a newspaper for a careful disguise, he follows the soldier into a hole-in-the-wall dive where he meets a group of five men in identical fatigues.

He listens in on them talking. There's a mention of negotiations to use them for a blockade with Canada.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

chitoryu12 posted:

Jean sees a man walking down the street in a gray uniform with a red patch on his shoulder. Slipping through the crowd and grabbing a newspaper for a careful disguise, he follows the soldier into a hole-in-the-wall dive where he meets a group of five men in identical fatigues.

He listens in on them talking. There's a mention of negotiations to use them for a blockade with Canada.

His ears perk up. Always good to know your competition. He orders a beer (by the simple expedient of pointing at the cheapest thing on the menu - it isn't like he'll drink this american swill) and listens in. Hopefully he can get an idea of how their force is broken down, and details on how the blockage is being negotiated.

Observation 16:
3d6=6
https://rolz.org/info?X34480472

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Tunicate posted:

His ears perk up. Always good to know your competition. He orders a beer (by the simple expedient of pointing at the cheapest thing on the menu - it isn't like he'll drink this american swill) and listens in. Hopefully he can get an idea of how their force is broken down, and details on how the blockage is being negotiated.

Observation 16:
3d6=6
https://rolz.org/info?X34480472

"What are we putting out there?"

"Elco every two miles from Mackinac to Harbor View. We don't have much else for it, but gently caress it. We're getting paid anyway."

"How long?"

"Till the employer says we're done. I think it's some trade war bullshit, so we could be rotating boats out for months. We'll get ROE once we have our full briefing back home."

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Mutiny!?! More like "reinterpreted orders"

Kang: I head to the quietest parking lot I can find and start scouting around for unlocked cars or cars with guns or other stuff lying around in them. If I see anything promising, I grab it and scoot.

What rolls do I need to make for this?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Bacarruda posted:

Kang: I head to the quietest parking lot I can find and start scouting around for unlocked cars or cars with guns or other stuff lying around in them. If I see anything promising, I grab it and scoot.

What rolls do I need to make for this?

I should have never let you play 7.62.

Ordinarily it would be the Filch skill, but the GURPS Lite book I gave you all doesn't have that so obviously none of the newbie players included that. So I'll say it's a Stealth roll to locate and open a car without being seen, Lockpick if you want to try and unlock a locked car.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!
Kamran "Cameron" Rajavi

"...well, aren't you a curious type, Rupert! Farsi's pretty different from English, but we can start with the basics. To say hello, you say 'Salam' or 'Khosh amadid if you're the host of some function..."

---

Having dropped off the rest of their upstart start-up, Kamran follows Rupert to their presumed appointment. He wrinkles his nose a bit at the smell of alcohol coming from the bar, but there don't appear to be any full teahouses in Detroit. Hopefully they know how to boil water.

It's only when he watches Rupert play up his unfamiliarity that he realizes what he's doing, and this probably isn't their appointment spot. Reconnaissance by feigned ignorance, is it? Well, then, this sort of thing is done with two men. One plays the bait, and one plays the watcher. So Kamran orders a sparkling drink (ignoring the bartender's obvious "cheapskate" glare), leans back in a booth, and watches the patrons talking off Rupert's ear. Red Devils and Steel Talons, eh? Let's see what else they have...

I'm trying to use Observation to help our picture of these two rival groups. Any of them going through a poor phase? Someone coming dropping off an experimental rifle at the coat check? Observation is 14. Roll is
Alric3467 rolls 3d6 = 11 #Kamran's Obervation of Red Devils or Steel Talons at the bar

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

chitoryu12 posted:

I should have never let you play 7.62.

Ordinarily it would be the Filch skill, but the GURPS Lite book I gave you all doesn't have that so obviously none of the newbie players included that. So I'll say it's a Stealth roll to locate and open a car without being seen, Lockpick if you want to try and unlock a locked car.

Kang sidles up to a shiny black Packard parked behind a bank. No one notices him sneaking up to the car, but he isn't able to jimmy the lock...

Stealth check: 3d6 = 16 (pass)
Lockpicking check: 3d6 = 12 (fail)

https://rolz.org/dr?room=divided%20states%20of%20america

He turns his attention to a Chrysler sedan with some boxes and bags piled in the back seat. Again, no one notices him and he's able to get the lock open this time. What does he find?

Stealth check: 3d6 = 13 (pass)
Lockpicking check: 3d6 = 18 (pass)

https://rolz.org/dr?room=divided%20states%20of%20america

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

chitoryu12 posted:

"What are we putting out there?"

"Elco every two miles from Mackinac to Harbor View. We don't have much else for it, but gently caress it. We're getting paid anyway."

"How long?"

"Till the employer says we're done. I think it's some trade war bullshit, so we could be rotating boats out for months. We'll get ROE once we have our full briefing back home."

Competition would be tied up on boat duty. That was good to know.

Jean left to meet up with the others

Damanation
Apr 16, 2018

Congratulations!

Damanation posted:

The Solid Core Plan
A standard squad of 5:
One combat veteran: The Expatriate French soldier has a higher initial cost, but same upkeep as the Great Lakes Soldier, but can translate French and is better at combat
A tank Driver: The best driver we can get
A Demoman: Just for when you want to blow something up
Two rookies, in this case, factory workers: They can drive, they can shoot, but most importantly they are cheap. We are brand new, we don’t need to only hire vets, we can afford to train people up

Buy 5 squads, then the 6th squad of all tank drivers to man any heavy armor we might be able to get.

5 Expatriate French Soldiers: $7500 initial, $6000 monthly

10 Tank Drivers: $8000 initial, $25000 monthly

5 Demoman: $9000 initial, $13500 monthly

10 Factory Workers: $1000 initial, $9000 monthly

Total: $25,500 initial, $53,500 monthly

I'm going to swap out the factory workers for Boat Drivers from the New Conch Republic. They have naval training, are just as good at fighting and driving as the factory workers, but have a cool 2 in social, which we wouldn't have otherwise.
I think thats worth more in costs. As for the 5 man squad idea, we can have them work in 4s, and swap out one for demomen when we need them, or just ignore the idea entirely. I was mostly using it to get get idea of how many in each role we should have.

10 Boat Drivers: $10000 initial, $10000 monthly

Total: $34,500 initial, $54,500 monthly

Since we have 4 pilots as officers, I still feel we don't need any NPC ones yet since we are unlikely to buy more than 4 helicopters or boatplanes, especially as long as we don't have a runway,

I also want to add this to my character sheet
Quirk: Insistent Basketball is the next big sport
Quirk: Uses Kirk-Fu( double dropkicks, single karate chop, hammerblow etc..)
Quirk: Likes Masks & Helmets
Quirk: Dislikes mushy textured food (I.E. beans)

Skill: Escape -1 for 2 points
Skill:Throwing 0 for 2 points.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Edit: okay boat driver heavy looks fine, I'll support this plan

Tunicate fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Jul 1, 2018

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

The boat drivers also look fine to me, it's the other guys from Conch who have the morale penalty.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Any more plan submissions?

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Good with the substitutions

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

If you're going to be changing a plan to include or substitute any new soldiers, can you resubmit the plan? I don't want to accidentally misunderstand and get someone's plan wrong by putting in a wrong edit. This way we'll definitely be voting on exactly what you intend.

Damanation
Apr 16, 2018

Congratulations!

The Solid Core Plan

Plan resubmitted with the new, as requested.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Voting time!

quote:

The Solid Core Plan

quote:

Kang's Idea

Fighters - 28 soldiers
4 Demo Men - which gives us two 2-man teams. They can use bazookas and TNT to fight tanks and blow up bunkers.
6 Great Lakes Soldiers and 6 Expatriate French Soldiers and 12 Factory Workers - this makes six fighting teams (24 men total).

Fighting team example:
1x Great Lakes Soldier (fighter)
1x Expatriate French Soldier (fighter)
2x Factory Workers (driver + fighter)

Small teams are good for riding in jeeps, helicopters, or small boats. It is hard to fit 5 people in a jeep! With even numbers of men in each team, every man has a buddy to fight with. The veteran soldier can train his buddy in how to fight better.

Pilots and Crew - 2 pilots
2 Pilots, with Cochrane and Wells, we will now have four pilots.

quote:

A Tanker in Every Squad

Five Great Lakes Tankers
Five Demomen
Twenty Great Lakes Soldiers

Stago Lego
Sep 3, 2011
Kang's Idea

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Core plan is my pick

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

Solid Core

OscarDiggs
Jun 1, 2011

Those sure are words on pages which are given in a sequential order!
Gotta be Solid Core

Damanation
Apr 16, 2018

Congratulations!

Solid Core

I mean I did come up with it, might as well vote for it.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
Tanker in every squad, to be nice.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
Sure, solid core

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Vote tally:

Solid Core: 5
Kang's Plan: 1
Tanker In Every Squad: 1

Unless something weird happens, it'll be called tonight. Then it's guns and tanks time!

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Solid Core gets my vote.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Mycroft Holmes posted:

Reginald
Reginald loads himself in the car. Once he arrives in Detroit, he will purchase a mess tent with the associated gear as well as some mosquito netting. He will also check with the office he set up to handle their business to see if any offers or interesting applications have come in. He will also check his investments.

While making calls to locate a mess tent, Reginald finds a deal on a tent that also comes with a field kitchen. It's costly, but it'll allow them to start cooking something better than canned food for at least a few people.

Field Kitchen (2 units, $15,000, $150 a month): A surplus US Army field kitchen with a tent and some folding tables and chairs to create an improvised kitchen and mess hall. Feeding capacity of 20 people.

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth

chitoryu12 posted:

While making calls to locate a mess tent, Reginald finds a deal on a tent that also comes with a field kitchen. It's costly, but it'll allow them to start cooking something better than canned food for at least a few people.

Field Kitchen (2 units, $15,000, $150 a month): A surplus US Army field kitchen with a tent and some folding tables and chairs to create an improvised kitchen and mess hall. Feeding capacity of 20 people.

Done deal

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Solid Core Wins!

quote:

This is a total cost of $69,000. Your monthly expenses have increased to $112,420. By purchasing the Field Kitchen, the cost increases to $84,000 and your monthly cost increases to $112,570.

This gives you a total remaining balance of $738,900 and a base size of 18/100 units. I'll post the equipment lists tomorrow, most likely. Ask me for any stats on the stuff and I can provide it.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Equipment Purchases

As before, I'll present the Great Lakes first. This is a huuuuuge list so you may not even feel a need to ask about other nations, but they're always available if you do.

Every item here is only going to be presented with its base cost to purchase because of how big the list is. If you want further information, you can ask about any item and I'll provide a picture, stats, and short description of what it is. In order to simplify the logistics, every item will have a deployment purchase. This represents the cost of a full load of ammo, fuel, and/or maintenance for one mission. You don't have to worry about counting exactly how many .30-06 rounds and gallons of airplane fuel you have in your stores because you simply pay the cost for sending it on the mission. Deployment cost varies, but you can expect the deployment cost of a gun to range from $50 to $200 unless it's using some rare and exotic ammo. The deployment cost of an vehicle can range from $200 for an unarmed truck to $1500 for a fighter plane to over $100,000 for a bomber. Deployment cost may also vary from time to time as fuel and ammo prices fluctuate or you make deals that give you more or less access to foreign powers.

The Great Lakes Region

Handguns
Eibar .44 Double-Action (.44 Russian): $150
Iver Johnson Top-Break .32 (.32 S&W): $100
Union Firearms Automatic Revolver (.32 S&W): $250
Smith & Wesson Bodyguard (.38 Special): $350
Smith & Wesson M1917 (.45 ACP): $400
Baby Browning (.25 ACP): $150
Browning Hi-Power (9x19mm): $450
Remington-Rand M1911A1 (.45 ACP): $400
Guide Lamp M1947 (.45 ACP): $200
George Wilson Match .45 Auto Pistol (.45 ACP): $800
High Standard HDM (.22 LR): $550
American Eagle Luger (9x19mm): $600
Davis Warner Infallible (.32 ACP): $100
FN Model 1910 (.32 ACP): $375
Remington Model 51 (.380 ACP): $300
Gabilondo Ruby Plus Ultra (.32 ACP): $300
Mossberg Brownie (.22 LR): $100
Savage Searle (.38 ACP): $450

Shotguns
Browning Auto-5 (12 Gauge): $700
Burgess Folding Shotgun (12 Gauge): $700
Remington Model 29 (12 Gauge): $550
Stevens Model 520 (12 Gauge): $300

Submachine Guns
Hyde M2 (.45 ACP): $800
M3A1 Grease Gun (.45 ACP): $700
Volunteer Enterprises Commando Mark III (.45 ACP): $600
Thompson M1927A1 (.45 ACP): $900
Thompson M1928A1 (.45 ACP): $1100
Thompson M1923 (.45 ACP): $1400

Rifles
FN FAL Sporter (.30-06): $1500
M1 Carbine (.30 Carbine): $800
M1 Garand (.30-06): $950
M1917 Enfield (.30-06): $650
Colt Lightning Carbine (.44-40 Winchester): $500
Smith & Wesson Light Rifle Model 1940 Mk.1 (9x19mm): $600
Gustloff Volkssturmgewehr VG 1.5 (7.92x33mm): $750
Marlin Model 1894 (.45 Long Colt): $700
Ruger No. 1 (Name your caliber): $Variable
Mauser 98 Sporter (7.92x57mm Mauser): $900
Remington Model 8 (.35 Remington): $800
Remington Model 8 Trench Gun (.25 Remington): $900
Remington Model 30 Express (.30-06): $700
Williams Anti-Tank Rifle (.50 BMG): $3000

Assault Rifles & Battle Rifles
Thompson Light Rifle (.30 Carbine): $1000
T48 (.30-06): $1600

Machine Guns
Browning M2HB (.50 BMG): $9000
Browning M1919A4 (.30-06): $2000
Chauchat (.30-06): $900
T52E3 (.30-06): $2500
M1918 BAR (.30-06): $1800

Flamethrowers
M2: $7000

Grenade Launchers
M7 Rifle Grenade Launcher (22mm): $800
M79 (40mm): $1200
Tru Flite 37mm Super Long Range Gas Gun (37mm): $700

Missile Launchers
M1 Bazooka (M6 Rockets): $4000
M18 Recoilless Rifle (57mm): $12,000

Grenades
Double Cylinder Hand Grenade: $40
Mk. 2 Frag Grenade: $70
M15 White Phosphorous Grenade: $280
M18 Smoke Grenade: $40
Mk. I Illuminating Grenade: $40
M7A3 Tear Gas Grenade: $30

Less Lethal Weapons
Van Karner Tear Gas Gun (.60 Caliber): $120

Cannons
Bofors L60 Twin Mount (40x311mm): $25,000

Cars
1933 Chevrolet Eagle Roadster: $10,000
1938 Chevrolet Master Deluxe: $9000
1947 Cadillac 60 Special: $20,000
1954 Nash Statesman Country Club: $36,000
1955 Cadillac Series 75 Presidential Parade Limo: $70,000
1955 Chevrolet 150 Utility Sedan : $25,000
1955 Buick Special Estate Wagon: $20,000
1955 Chevrolet C1 Corvette Roadster: $90,000

Motorcycles
Indian Powerplus: $1600
Harley-Davidson Model 17: $2000
Harley-Davidson WLA: $6000
Harley-Davidson Servi-Car: $6500
Harley-Davidson Hummer B: $8000

Light Trucks
CMP Field Artillery Tractor: $9000
Willys MB: $8000
Willys M38A1: $8500
Dodge WC13: $7600
1947 Willys CJ-2A Jeep: $4600
1947 Chevrolet Pickup: $5000
1946 Dodge Power Wagon: $7600

Trucks
GMC M135: $12,000
GMC CCKW 353: $10,000

Vans
1930 Ford Model A Delivery: $5000
1952 Chevrolet Suburban: $19,000
1955 Stout Scarab: $24,000

APCs
M3 Half Track: $15,000
DUKW: $30,000

Armored Cars
M3 Scout Car: $12,000
M8 Light Armored Car: $55,000
M20 Armored Utility Car: $45,000

Self-Propelled Anti-Aircraft Guns
M13 Multiple Gun Motor Carriage: $50,000

Self-Propelled Guns
M3 Gun Motor Carriage: $65,000
M8 Scott: $125,000
M10A2 Wolverine: $600,000
M18 Hellcat: $530,000
T28 Gun Motor Carriage: $1,200,000

Tanks
Bob Semple Tank: $80,000
M2A1 Medium Tank: $300,000
M2A2 Light Tank: $150,000
M3 Lee: $450,000
M4A3E2 Sherman Jumbo: $750,000
M5A1 Stuart: $430,000
M22 Locust: $540,000

Civilian Light Planes
Stearman 4-CM-1 Junior Speedmail: $15,000
Fairchild Super 71 Seaplane: $230,000
Bellanca 14-9 Cruisair: $70,000
Piper J-3 Cub: $34,000
Stewart S-51D Mustang: $65,000

Civilian Cargo Planes & Airliners
Ford Trimotor: $740,000
Fairchild 100: $230,000
Grumman G-21G Turbo Goose: $995,000

Civilian Helicopters
Bell 30: $100,000
Bell 47: $140,000

Civilian Autogyros
Pitcairn PCA-2: $80,000

Fighters
Bell P-77: $300,000
Boeing P-26 Peashooter: $185,000
Consolidated P-30: $210,000
Grumman F4F Wildcat: $480,000
Grumman F7F Tigercat: $940,000
North American P-51D Mustang: $540,000

Bombers
Consolidated PB4Y-2 Privateer: $1,665,000
Douglas B-23 Dragon: $1,580,000
Grumman TBF Avenger: $790,000

Military Helicopters
Sikorsky YR-5A: $250,000

Military Trainers
Boeing-Stearman Model 75: $205,000
North American T-6 Texan: $250,000

Military Transports
Douglas C-47 Skytrain: $1,400,000
Fairchild C-82 Packet: $4,720,000

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

quote:

Williams Anti-Tank Rifle (.50 BMG): $3000

Heavy breathing intensifies.

Anyway vehicle wise...some APCs and Helis for battlefield insertion/extraction seem prudent.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

quote:

Anyway vehicle wise...some APCs and Helis for battlefield insertion/extraction seem prudent.

Apparently the military chopper doesn't have any guns, and the upgunned bell-47s IRL had engine issues due to recoil from machine guns

so clearly the option is to still go with the bells, and stick some of these guys on instead: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Folding-Fin_Aerial_Rocket

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

quote:

Hyde M2 (.45 ACP): $800
M3A1 Grease Gun (.45 ACP): $700
Volunteer Enterprises Commando Mark III (.45 ACP): $600
Thompson M1927A1 (.45 ACP): $900
Thompson M1928A1 (.45 ACP): $1100
Thompson M1923 (.45 ACP): $1400

Respectfully, all of these look like a bunch of semi-interchangeable .45 ACP SMGs. If I buy a Thompson M1923, for example, what, precisely, does that get me over the VEC Mk. III?

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Speaking as a voyeur in the thread, what are folks generally thinking of when it comes to the normal sort of arms that they'd like to have available and what istheir logic?

OscarDiggs
Jun 1, 2011

Those sure are words on pages which are given in a sequential order!

wedgekree posted:

Speaking as a voyeur in the thread, what are folks generally thinking of when it comes to the normal sort of arms that they'd like to have available and what istheir logic?

Normal arms in terms of our company or of our characters?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Davin Valkri posted:

Respectfully, all of these look like a bunch of semi-interchangeable .45 ACP SMGs. If I buy a Thompson M1923, for example, what, precisely, does that get me over the VEC Mk. III?

I can post detailed stats if you want, but a quick overview:

* All three guns above the Thompson were developed as cheaper alternatives to the Thompson, so they're all lower in price.

* The Hyde M2 uses 20 or 30-round Thompson magazines, weighs less than the Thompson but has the same accuracy, and has a slow rate of fire and fixed stock.

* The M3A1 Grease Gun uses proprietary 30-round magazines, has an even slower rate of fire than the Hyde, and has a telescoping stock so you can reduce its Bulk for better maneuverability. It's slightly lighter than the Thompson but has lower accuracy. They were also made in 9x19mm if you want a different damage profile and higher rate of fire.

* The Volunteer Enterprises Commando is a cheap clone of the Thompson. It uses 20 or 30-round Thompson magazines, weighs slightly less than the Thompson, has a high rate of fire and fixed stock (though it can also accept Thompson stocks or have it removed altogether), but has inferior accuracy and is so shoddily made that it jams on a roll of 16 or higher.

* The Thompson M1928A1 is a standard US military Thompson from the interwar period. It's very heavy and bulky, can use 50 or 100-round drums in addition to 20 and 30-round box mags, and has good accuracy and a high rate of fire. The stock is removable and replaceable (such as with an aftermarket folding stock) and it can be purchased with a vertical foregrip for slightly more money.

* The Thompson M1927A1 is the M1928A1 with no buttstock (and no provision to fit one without custom work) and a shorter barrel. This makes the gun much lighter and less bulky, but also slightly less powerful and much more difficult to aim.

* The Thompson M1923 is a squad automatic weapon version of the original M1921 Thompson, which accepts both magazines and drums. It has a much higher rate of fire than all the other guns, a longer barrel for increased damage, and an integrated bipod, but is heavy and expensive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Kangis gleefully flipping through the arms catalog. He circles some things

"A Thompson M1928A1 (.45 ACP): $1100 - he points at it, grinning "with a folding stock, so I can hide it under my coat. Sling on it, so I can carry it easier. And the front grip and the baffle silencer."
a Browning Hi-Power (9x19mm): $450 - "with a belt holster."
a Baby Browning (.25 ACP): $150 - "with an ankle holster"
five of the Mk. 2 Frag Grenades: $70 x 5 = $350
Three speed loaders for the Webley and some home-made .455 hollowpoints."

"Do you have these? I'd like a Mark I trench knife and a sheath, some satchel charges and the makings for some Molotov cocktails."

"I also need an overcoat and a light jacket, both with some Thompson ammo pouches sewn into the lining. A satchel, a couple of field dressings, a set of lockpicks, a crowbar, a medium-sized hammer, a couple of hot water bottles, a cigarette lighter, two boxes of stormproof matches, a pocket knife, some garrote wire, a grappling hooks and 20 feet od light climbing rope, and a pair of pocket binoculars."

e: also, Chitoryu, how do I resolve my little car-looting expedition now that I've broken into a car?

Bacarruda fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Jul 11, 2018

• Locked thread