Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
blaise rascal

"Duke, Duke, Duke, Duke of Pearl...."
I'd show you the games I made in flixel but I lost them!! it was a long time ago

ty vanisher, ty khanstant

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drilldo squirt

a beautiful, soft meat sack
I don't know poo poo about the engine but I'm ok with c++ so if you posts scripts here I might help.

----------------

sb hermit

The ideas here are really inspiring, but I lack time to commit to a regular schedule for development.

I知 more of a C systems developer, not necessarily games, but I知 willing to chip in if more hands are needed. C++ is not a foreign language to me but it痴 certainly not my primary language.

I知 a gonna try a pixel based fantasy console thing as a proof of concept in the meanwhile.

drilldo squirt

a beautiful, soft meat sack

el dorito posted:

The ideas here are really inspiring, but I lack time to commit to a regular schedule for development.

I知 more of a C systems developer, not necessarily games, but I知 willing to chip in if more hands are needed. C++ is not a foreign language to me but it痴 certainly not my primary language.

I知 a gonna try a pixel based fantasy console thing as a proof of concept in the meanwhile.

Imagine C where you don't have to worry about memory management, also everything else is easier.

----------------

Plant MONSTER.

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
If I had a computer I could make assets lol.

Cause I can sprite, make backgrounds, compose music, etc.

I can find examples later??

blaise rascal

Pretend I rotated that correctly

If everyone is cool with this vision of the game, I may just start making some of the core mechanics in haxeflixel with temporary programmer art

Also, I wrote a design document where I wrote down some ideas for the game's mechanics. I guess I could post the doc here, although nothing in it is set in stone.

Luvcow

One day nearer spring

blaise rascal posted:

Pretend I rotated that correctly

If everyone is cool with this vision of the game, I may just start making some of the core mechanics in haxeflixel with temporary programmer art

Also, I wrote a design document where I wrote down some ideas for the game's mechanics. I guess I could post the doc here, although nothing in it is set in stone.

this concludes my ability to contribute to the making of the game

Poise
4 balls sit on the edge of a cliff

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Manifisto

Poise posted:

4 balls sit on the edge of a cliff

four clouds are hanging out at the edge of a cold front

I am a big fan of this cloud game idea however I seem to have no skills that would advance the project in a meaningful way

unless you need me to make 3d models of things constructed from weed, that I might be able to help with

ty nesamdoom!

City of Glompton

our really good lurker friend has made another song: https://vocaroo.com/i/s14spzcSzIvY

let's talk about our story.

so far, we are guiding a side-scrolling little cloud that rains on things like flowers, grumpy people, picnics, and end with a boss of a freshly washed car.

perhaps our first level could be this:

1. short tutorial instructions or opportunity to try scrolling/raining
2. encounter some plants and rain on them - they blossom and say 'thanks!'. optional - they look droopy if you don't?
3. encounter an old man and rain on him - he complains/shakes his fist? optional - he harrumphs and glares if you don't?
3. encounter a pond that looks low - rain on it, and the pond critters make happy noises or say thanks? optional - they look distressed if you don't?
4. encounter a sad girl - rain on her, and she hums a few bars from "Only Happy When it Rains". optional - she sighs dejectedly if you don't?
5. encounter a group of picnickers - rain on them and they run for cover or open umbrellas. optional - they murmer about close calls if you don't?
6. encounter a freshly-washed car as it leaves the carwash - rain on it enough, and the car retreats to the carwash. don't rain on it, and [i'm really not sure where i'm going with this, any ideas?]

Characters - this is where we can put all the voice talent to work :evilbuddy: I'm adding a couple ideas to the mix, we don't have to use them all - we could also use other ideas if i've missed something that would be fun. i'm imaging the things they say to just be quick reactions to being rained on, or maybe also encouraging/discouraging the cloud from them, if that is feasible? but i'm betting reactions would be easiest - someone smart correct me if i'm wrong.

Cloud
Flowers
Old Man
Pond that needs more water for the fish/frogs?
Sad Girl
Picnic Group
Boss: Freshly Washed Car

with those in mind, does anyone want to take a stab at making a sprite or two, so we can get some visuals to go along with the nice music?

also probably the most important question - does anyone with actual game making experience think the above sounds doable in what you know how to use, and if yes, are you willing to help?

thank you PSP for the beautiful spring sig

BoldFrankensteinMir

I love how earnest this silly idea is becoming.

Additional targets for morally toggled rainstorms:

Sunbather

Person hanging laundry

People on a tandem bike humming 'daisy' ( both a chance for sick drizzle combos and a treat for our voice actors)

Street artist making chalk drawings

Earthworms near a sidewalk

The SS Minnow

And I'm not married too the idea of the carwash being the boss, I was just spitballing in the original post.

blaise rascal

Good objects to water

Empty birdbath with birds around it
Empty (inflatable) pool with poolgoers around it
Slip n slide

Bad objects to water

Campfires
Businesspeople in suits
Cats

City of Glompton posted:

also probably the most important question - does anyone with actual game making experience think the above sounds doable in what you know how to use, and if yes, are you willing to help?

All of this game's programming tasks -sprite movement, looping animations, keyboard/mouse controls, and pixel overlap detection - are quite easily doable with game making libraries. In fact, I've made a game with mechanics very similar to this game's before.

blaise rascal

The only kinda tough issue is how to continuously generate rain particles/sprites without continuously using up more and more memory. I used to have this issue figured out; I'll have to check my old code.

BoldFrankensteinMir

There should be Galaga style power-ups that briefly turn you into a hail-storm or tornado/waterspout that destroys targets instead of just getting them wet, incurring extra bad karma.

Alternatively on a good-cloud run you have to actively avoid power-ups to stay a friendly little guy. There could even be parts where you HAVE to upgrade to tornado, then the challenge is to cause as little damage as possible.

Manifisto

blaise rascal posted:

Good objects to water

along the same lines I wonder if there should be (empty/low) ponds or puddles with ducks/ducklings, and when filled up they quack at you

and/or a bathtub (or jacuzzi etc) with rubber duckie

BoldFrankensteinMir

Rain barrels with little flag buoys inside that float to the top and save your progress.

Edit- Muddy bronze statues that sparkle once rinsed clean.

Children playing baseball until forced to run into the background houses.

BoldFrankensteinMir fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Jun 26, 2018

mags

I am a congenital optimist.
a rain god that is a cute giant raindrop that occasionally gives you tips

paul_soccer12 posted:

everyone in the idf must die

(USER WAS PERMABANNED FOR THIS POST)
BoldFrankensteinMir

mister magpie posted:

a rain god that is a cute giant raindrop that occasionally gives you tips

A couple of rain gods could be the help screens.

Zeus: You can't rain out a baseball game! You will regret this!!!

Edit- I've been trying to think of what game this idea reminds me of (other than my oh so timely Sim City 2000 joke) and I finally remembered.. Steal from the best!

BoldFrankensteinMir fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Jun 26, 2018

Plant MONSTER.

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
I can try making pixel art with my tablet. :X

E: Stardew Valley as all made by like one dude; we can do it!!!!

Plant MONSTER.

Nubes the Cloud?

Is this style too nintendoey?

Scaly Haylie

he looks like he should have a drop shadow imo

Plant MONSTER.

this one is better but yeah um

Plant MONSTER.

Concept art of rain god???

Manifisto

Plant MONSTER. posted:

whoa this is amazing

Scaly Haylie

idea: other gods that give you side missions

Scaly Haylie

god of froyo who wants you to rain on ice cream and ice cream eaters

Plant MONSTER.

The Sun God is kind of antagonistic to our purpose whether we are good or evil

E: this also applies to life

BoldFrankensteinMir

Plant MONSTER. posted:

Okay serious-post, I was kinda dreading having to pixel-sling this thing for lack of other volunteers (only because I have other obligations, not cuz I don't love y'all) but this is frigging gorgeous and I hope your style saturates Tut-tut completely.

BoldFrankensteinMir

I envision an opening cinematic where the Rain God explains the moral duties of a rain cloud to the newest little baby clouds gathered around his floating home.

"You must rain on them sometimes, little ones. But when and how? That is where you have agency as my couriers. That is where you have choice."

Plant MONSTER.

"Golly."

mags

Plant MONSTER. posted:

Yessss

paul_soccer12 posted:

City of Glompton

Scaly Haylie

is the big cloud a cloud god

Scaly Haylie

level where you have been made cold by some happenstance and now you're a snow or hail cloud

City of Glompton

blaise rascal posted:

Good objects to water

Empty (inflatable) pool with poolgoers around it
Slip n slide

Bad objects to water

Campfires
Businesspeople in suits
Cats

All of this game's programming tasks -sprite movement, looping animations, keyboard/mouse controls, and pixel overlap detection - are quite easily doable with game making libraries. In fact, I've made a game with mechanics very similar to this game's before.

excellent.

I'm loving all the ideas and pictures everyone is submitting but this part in most curious about.

I did install gamemaker but it would be a big learning curve for me, so I'd really feel good knowing we have someone who's willing and able to do this type of contribution

mags

Lizard Wizard posted:

is the big cloud a cloud god

the cloud god is like the rain gods minion and yr that cloud god

paul_soccer12 posted:

BoldFrankensteinMir

mister magpie posted:

the cloud god is like the rain gods minion and yr that cloud god

Yes! You bud off little clouds and skip them like slow stones off the land. Every new life in the game, you see the cloud god and you control him pooping out a little cloud briefly before he leaves (like a pinball launcher, maybe it's even aimable)

If I may make a not essential visual suggestion- Rain God's adorable umbrella should be flipped, to protect the sky from him.

DavidAlltheTime

All David...all the TIME!
Can you rub other clouds to make a lightning? Will there be other clouds?

PlantMONSTER I love your art.

BoldFrankensteinMir

More stuff to rain/not rain on:

Tiny plastic eggs that expand into dinosaur-shaped sponges.

Man in rags pulling himself across the desert.

Noah in his Ark (boss fight?).

Hippy music festival.

Person walking along side of road with gas-tank.

Ben Franklin flying kite (chance for extreme good karma from lightning)

Victor Frankenstein atop his castle (chance for extreme bad karma from lightning, also maybe releases unstoppable monster a la Ski Free)

Meteorologist (actually two different encounters, one is pointing to a happy sun, the other to rainy clouds, the trick in either case is intentionally proving him wrong is mean)

House on fire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luvcow

One day nearer spring

Plant MONSTER. posted:

if this was an old school atari game this would be the art on the box, its awesome

• Locked thread