Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
Simple mode is kind of hard because theres almost no room for error when trying to predict where they may shoot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Oh my god I need to just never play against Tricky characters because I cannot, cannot deal with their slice at all and it just ruins me and I'm bad :negative:

This game is so fun even though I constantly lose though, I can't stop playing. Wish the random multi had more than just lame rear end tie breaker mode though, but that's okay.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
I've gotten to round 3 a couple times but no tourney wins, amazed you guys won some already! You must all be better than me, haha

I've mostly just been playing as Mario and Luigi though maybe they are bad

I also don't really use trick shots, and I keep like running over to stars with barely enough meter to do a zone shot, but then accidentally hit the button too soon so I just run out of meter and the ball just bounces off of me and I look like a fuckin idiot

Wendell
May 11, 2003

You’ll get better, Stefan!

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer

Wendell posted:

You’ll get better, Stefan!

I haven't played multi very much yet, I'm going through single player with my wife who hasn't played a tennis game before so I'm getting her up to speed so we can do doubles and stuff :3

She's really into fighting games so I think she likes it so far which I'm glad, I think it's a lot of fun EXCEPT FOR KAMEK gently caress YOU KAMEK

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Speaking of playing with others, I thought the motion control mode would be good fun that way. Has anyone tried it yet?

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My face when others are unable to appreciate the :kazooieass:

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
Managed to win an online tournament, which was awesome, but I’m getting the issue where it displays the internet as 5 bars and the in game it suddenly drops to 1-2 and you’re now playing in a slideshow. Still managed to win that finals match, but it was touch and go.

Also favourite girls Toadette and Daisy are in this game, so their easily my favourites, with Peach close behind. If I pick up a Tricky character, I may go Boo rather than Rosalina cause I like the little ghosty.

Still have issues playing against Tricky characters. Should you go to the net to try and stop their stupid slices or will that risk getting lobbed?

Also, anyone who hasn’t done the single player story mode Kamek rally match needs to do so. It’s a rite of passage of pain and suffering and I refuse to be the only one to suffer through it. You can’t call yourself a tennis player until you go through the suffering that is a mast in the middle of the court with a Tricky character :colbert:

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

Partial Octopus posted:

Super helpful. So is there any a reason to do a normal shot over a double tap shot?

Double-tap Powerful shots go faster but they tend to go down the middle of the court.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Just had a really long drawn out tourney game, the dude was slightly better than me and won but the rallies felt basically endless, one time he built up and used full special at least three times in one rally :stare:

It was super intense, game rules

belt
May 12, 2001

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nintendo not including a retry option for failed challenges makes me want to scream.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I hate playing against Bowser Jr. I haven't won a single rally against any matches against him.

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

belt posted:

Nintendo not including a retry option for failed challenges makes me want to scream.

Yeah, this is really irritating. Having to listen to the game taunt you for failing every single time gets old after a while.

Jonny_Rocket
Mar 13, 2007

"Inspiration, move me brightly"

jimmydalad posted:

Yeah, this is really irritating. Having to listen to the game taunt you for failing every single time gets old after a while.

It’s like Duck Hunt in that regard

That drat snickering dog

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Jonny_Rocket posted:

It’s like Duck Hunt in that regard

That drat snickering dog

It's like the run back to a Dark Souls boss

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
Is anyone else unable to turn of gyro controls? I have them disabled both on the settings menu and the character select but I still have gyro in online play.

Salastine
Nov 4, 2008

CascadeBeta posted:

Is anyone else unable to turn of gyro controls? I have them disabled both on the settings menu and the character select but I still have gyro in online play.

You have to actually confirm the change, instead of just backing out of the menu. Check the controls on the bottom of the menu.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I died with 380 points on Kamek gently caress

I managed to get a bailout special shot too and then smashed it out of bounds :negative:

Edit: and as soon as I complained about it on the internet I did all 400 points in one rally :cabot:

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Jun 23, 2018

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

Salastine posted:

You have to actually confirm the change, instead of just backing out of the menu. Check the controls on the bottom of the menu.

It's changing between matches. I haven't changed the settings and it went from being off for the first three matches of a tournament to on in the semi finals and it cost me my loving match because all of a sudden my controller jiggles the cursor outside the court. I have no loving idea what's going on.

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

CascadeBeta posted:

It's changing between matches. I haven't changed the settings and it went from being off for the first three matches of a tournament to on in the semi finals and it cost me my loving match because all of a sudden my controller jiggles the cursor outside the court. I have no loving idea what's going on.

Clearly it's telling you to use the gyro controls

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

EightFlyingCars posted:

Clearly it's telling you to use the gyro controls

But they're not very good!

Also I'm on tilt because I can't seem to get momentum against anyone. I'm building meter about half as fast as everyone else and they're getting super charged shots seemingly instantly. What am I doing wrong? I'm returning red with blue and visa versa and purple with purple.

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

How can Boo even play tennis

I'm staring it in the face the entire time

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

CascadeBeta posted:

But they're not very good!

Also I'm on tilt because I can't seem to get momentum against anyone. I'm building meter about half as fast as everyone else and they're getting super charged shots seemingly instantly. What am I doing wrong? I'm returning red with blue and visa versa and purple with purple.

The best way to regain momentum is with trick shots. Even if you do it late and spend bar, it'll still be a near-full-strength shot.

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice

EightFlyingCars posted:

How can Boo even play tennis

I'm staring it in the face the entire time

She's actually wearing a backwards mask and facing the other way the entire match :3:

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy
So Boo seems really, really good in online matches. The hooks are SO hard to return.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
My gyro controls keep turning themselves off randomly. It's happened in handheld mode and docked with a pro controller. When they go off I can use the left stick to aim but the cursor moves in fits and starts.

Is this happening to anyone in here?

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

Wildtortilla posted:

My gyro controls keep turning themselves off randomly. It's happened in handheld mode and docked with a pro controller. When they go off I can use the left stick to aim but the cursor moves in fits and starts.

Is this happening to anyone in here?

Same but in reverse. :(

RME
Feb 20, 2012

can someone confirm/unconfirm if i can do doubles online with one friend, matched against other random players (not CPUs)
not a local friend, just to be clear, someone who would also be online

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
At least ten of the twenty matches I've played have been against people with >2,000 points. This poo poo is wearing thin.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
Additional weirdness: Sometimes when I'm going after a ball with zone speed, it will just randomly stop and return to normal speed. I have no idea why this happens. It's not because I don't have enough meter, because this has happened with varying levels of meter.

Edit: A better way to sum up my biggest gripe with the game is: I wish it was more willing to tell me what I'm doing wrong, because I have no idea.

CascadeBeta fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Jun 23, 2018

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Wait, I thought this came out in July?

Wendell
May 11, 2003

CascadeBeta posted:

Additional weirdness: Sometimes when I'm going after a ball with zone speed, it will just randomly stop and return to normal speed. I have no idea why this happens. It's not because I don't have enough meter, because this has happened with varying levels of meter.

Edit: A better way to sum up my biggest gripe with the game is: I wish it was more willing to tell me what I'm doing wrong, because I have no idea.

You released the button or your button is faulty.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

Pollyanna posted:

Guess you were fuckin' wrong, eh?

Goodguy3
Aug 11, 2016

"What?! I'm not tangled up like this for fun, you know!"
Adding to the things I don't think the game tells you, if you Zone Speed over to a Star Point, you will AUTOMATICALLY do a zone shot if you're still holding down ZR. I stumbled onto this and accidentally hit the ball into the net like a moron because I wasn't expecting it.

Jonny_Rocket
Mar 13, 2007

"Inspiration, move me brightly"

Pollyanna posted:

Surprise! It’s out now, go get it because it’s awesome

My wife and I were playing against the CPU in simple mode (standard match) and that was a ton of fun! She used Spike the whole time and I kept laughing whenever he spat out a tennis ball

Also, Chain Chomp rules

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I don't underscore how gyro controls turning on and off randomly without notifying the player passed any sort of play testing. This is getting infuriating.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Wendell posted:

Speaking of playing with others, I thought the motion control mode would be good fun that way. Has anyone tried it yet?

I was coming here to post that swing mode with MY WIFE was really awesome.

We also played wit our kid and he had a great time. I don’t think I even want to show thethe regular mode with the tricks and stars and zone stuff. Swing mode is cool and good.

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."
I can't wait for material to be written about this game. There’s so much to this game that I don’t understand. I wish I could save more extended replays it’s hard for me to recollect the defeats where I was outclassed.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
One thing I've noticed that is very annoying is there is almost no punishment when you're returning a serve for moving up a few steps from the baseline to crowd the serve. No matter how fast you hit the serve or how much curve you put on it you can just negate the serve speed.

E: just got to kamek in the single player. gently caress THIS gently caress THIS

soggybagel fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Jun 23, 2018

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

All the rally minigames are so hard!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

JordanKai posted: