Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Wonder if we'll get balance patches because online has quickly become Bowser Jr. The Game (Guest Starring Boo and Rosalina)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

I play Mario who is probably a bit weaker than most and I've still won 7 tournaments. The only character who is a problem is bowser jr. He's got crazy reach, trick shot length, power, and he can move while charging

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Wonder if we'll get balance patches because online has quickly become Bowser Jr. The Game (Guest Starring Boo and Rosalina)

Yeah, I eventually just shut it down and went to play an actual fighting game after getting matched with only >2000 point Bowser Jrs and Boos. I'll come back to it later but they really need to set up some kind of matchmaking. The < 5 times I got matched with someone with < 500 points, I won or came close, so it's just a matter of getting better but it's hard to do when you're only playing killers who have done nothing but play this game since it came out.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

soggybagel posted:

I beat Kamek right after I complained and it was honestly pretty easy..

Do it again. DO IT AGAIN RIGHT NOW, TOUGH GUY!!!!

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Boo and Shy Guy are my favorite characters to use in spin-offs so it feels kind of bad that he's as good as he is right now. If they do rework him to be less of a poo poo I'll still stick with him because I love being the lil ghosty boy.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Boo is good but he's not unstoppable or anything. A lot of them rely way to much on the gimmicky curves

Edit: gimmicky is probably the wrong word

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

Yeah it really sucks that your favorite character is good as poo poo. that's such a stupid attitude, just have fun playing the game

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
I've been playing SP and it seemed trivial, but then I hit a brick loving wall with the Boo rally. He kept charging up on the star and knocking me backwards until I got so far away I couldn't return.

Then I realized that because so far every match was so drat easy I fundamentally did not understand the game. You have to time your shots by tapping or release before the ball reaches you. Not exactly when they reached you. Once I realized that I crushed Boo flawlessly.

This might seem obvious and the game tries to teach you this, but I didn't get it all until I started doing it. Feels nice to block powered up star shots now.

If anyone is still having trouble with Boo, I suggest getting to know the double tap return. Don't charge every time.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

sharrrk posted:

Yeah it really sucks that your favorite character is good as poo poo. that's such a stupid attitude, just have fun playing the game

Eh when I go online and see a ton of people complaining about boo players it's gonna bum me out a bit. I'm not saying I don't have fun just wish there wasn't a "Ugh, *these* players" vibe going on.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

the best way to play motion controlled tennis games is attaching the controller's lanyard to the front of your pants and playing by pelvic thrusting

in the biz we call this "the Waluigi"

Jonny_Rocket
Mar 13, 2007

"Inspiration, move me brightly"
I must be bad at this game, I’m currently stuck on the reflective mirror mission. Am I supposed to hit all of the gears in its second form?

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My face when others are unable to appreciate the :kazooieass:

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Add Waluigi and I’d agree with you. Bowser Jr is so ridiculous and everytime I make it to finals I always encounter him or Waluigi or another op character. Defense characters feel overturned and looking at global rankings, they’re dominated by Bowser Jrs and Waluigis. The one time 8 wasn’t matched with one of them I had a close match in the finals.

Jonny_Rocket
Mar 13, 2007

I’ll be honest, I haven’t even touched online multiplayer yet, as I don’t know if I’m any good at this

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Jonny_Rocket posted:

I must be bad at this game, I’m currently stuck on the reflective mirror mission. Am I supposed to hit all of the gears in its second form?

Yes. Keep in mind that some of the gears move very quickly so you will have to lead your shot ahead of it when you aim a Zone Shot

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Jonny_Rocket posted:

Yeah, hit a gear with a normal shot to set up the zone shot. You can then chain them! Some gears move fast and need you to aim slightly ahead.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

ultrachrist posted:

I've been playing SP and it seemed trivial, but then I hit a brick loving wall with the Boo rally. He kept charging up on the star and knocking me backwards until I got so far away I couldn't return.

Then I realized that because so far every match was so drat easy I fundamentally did not understand the game. You have to time your shots by tapping or release before the ball reaches you. Not exactly when they reached you. Once I realized that I crushed Boo flawlessly.

This might seem obvious and the game tries to teach you this, but I didn't get it all until I started doing it. Feels nice to block powered up star shots now.

Wait what exactly do you mean? Should I not be trying to charge as much as possible?

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Jonny_Rocket posted:

:same:

I know what to do but I just can't manage it

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

I ended up just blindly guessing which mirrors I should hit on the clock part, tbh, there was probably a better way but randomly zone shooting them until they all died was the option I chose

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008

CascadeBeta posted:

Wait what exactly do you mean? Should I not be trying to charge as much as possible?

Charge when it's advantageous to do so (like the opponent is diving for a shot and won't have much power on it, or you know the ball is coming to the star on the ground). Otherwise, your feet are planted so you risk having to let go of the charge and run and make a weak shot or miss the return entirely.

I got way better when I spent more time running around double tapping the button for returns. It keeps up the momentum and I always have plenty of juice to slow time to return a star shot.

(this is vs AI, I heard MP is all trick shots but I haven't touched that yet).

tidiox
Jul 22, 2007
I just tried go into online for Doubles and it put me with a CPU partner against two people on the same console. When I create a room, it pre-fills my team with a CPU player. Is there no way to get matched up with a random partner online?

EDIT: Nevermind, I was picking the wrong option from the first online menu. :downs:

tidiox fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Jun 23, 2018

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Funniest trick is to hit the ball far away from your opponent and watch them run to catch it, then right before they get into position to hit it use your zone speed and make them stumble. Funny and practical!

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."
I'm by no means excellent and I play Waluigi. Made it to the finals and got smoked by a Bowser JR. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. Identifying that once I let my opponent have stars and charge on me, I've practically lost the rally. Not sure what the way to turn that around is. I believe the game recommends a slice to slow the game down and leave you time to get into position.

Can someone provide any advice on positioning? I don't play or know the concepts of tennis very well.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Eh when I go online and see a ton of people complaining about boo players it's gonna bum me out a bit. I'm not saying I don't have fun just wish there wasn't a "Ugh, *these* players" vibe going on.

you should feel pride about ruining someones day by beating them at mario tennis

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Why is there no Mii player???

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

I keep giving my opponent free star shots and I have no loving clue why. I'm doing full charge counters for all their balls and it doesn't seem to do anything.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
I played on match as bowser jr and felt like he was slow as hell but everytime i play against him he loving rolls me.

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
All I play against is boos. I think I've got the hang of beating them with Bowser and then I get utterly smoked by a dude with 4-6k points.

edit: this is the first game I've played online on Switch. Goddamn Mario tennis going to make me buy an ethernet adapter.

ultrachrist fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Jun 23, 2018

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

Partial Octopus posted:

I keep giving my opponent free star shots and I have no loving clue why. I'm doing full charge counters for all their balls and it doesn't seem to do anything.

If you press the button to hit the ball or early or your character needs to leap to hit the ball you give a star point.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
It’s been said here that you hit a slice ball with a red hit IE top spin shot but I’ve found that it doesn’t really hurt to just do a purple shot.

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

Just won two tournaments in a row with Junior. Nerf Please :getin:

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

The thing about bowser jr is he's a bit slow but he has reach for days (waluigi is similar to this) so it is very hard to get a shot past him. The weakness is that it's easy to give your opponent a lot of star shots because while you have reach they aren't necessarily strong shots, so your opponent gets a lot of chance to build meter and run circles around you with it. this has been my Bowser Jr playing experience anyway

If you're good at using trick shots to build meter it does a lot to mitigate this, though

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Funniest trick is to hit the ball far away from your opponent and watch them run to catch it, then right before they get into position to hit it use your zone speed and make them stumble. Funny and practical!

What? You can only use zone speed when the ball is coming at you.

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
Wooo, finally got to a finals match with Bowser (the esteemed Senior B, not Junior). I need to take a break before playing it after a long, hella intense match vs a Mario. I got to see what happens when both players use their supers at once. Final point of the game I used mine and Mario used his and... he blocked it but got knocked back whining ow-ow-ow-ow like the dumb little baby he is and I trivially returned it for an easy win.

I'm basically winning off my lob game. Bowser can drop the ball right on the back baseline (is it called a baseline in tennis?) from a serve return which is always good for a few points. I either win off the lob or get them in a lovely position and smack it back with a powershot that is hard-to-impossible to return.

Definitely scratching that Mario Tennis 64 itch. My thumbs hurt.

ultrachrist fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Jun 23, 2018

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
Just had an epic battle with Bowser Jr. and man is he tough to handle. I was Rosalina and it just felt like I didn't have the power needed to stretch the court to beat him I lost 3-1 and we had a really long Deuce battle. Any good strategies on Bowser Jr.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

this game needs a god d*mn training mode

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
this game is pretty bad tbh.

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

sharrrk posted:

sharrrk posted:

You're not wrong, I do think the story mode is basically a training mode with plot though.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Empress Brosephine posted:

this game is pretty bad tbh.

It really isn't quite what I expected. I do think it plays really well for the most part, but I did want a more GBC story mode. But that's ok. I shouldn't have pre-ordered it or paid quite the price they were asking but I do think there's a lot to be had out of the multi-player.

I still have yet to win a tournament. I vastly prefer Classic mode. I got to the semi-finals only to lose to a vastly more experienced Boo. I was playing Chain Chomp, who I can't say I'm really fond of, but CC has some insane coverage. I was returning things I had no business being close to. Still, I had trouble reading him as a power character, everything I hit felt pretty week.

How does one do a proper smash shot in this game? Before there were stars you could run up to them and smash a ball for a good powerful shot, but I can't consistently pull it off. And what's the R button Leap shot all about?

Jonny_Rocket
Mar 13, 2007

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Yes. Keep in mind that some of the gears move very quickly so you will have to lead your shot ahead of it when you aim a Zone Shot

Wendell posted:

Yeah, hit a gear with a normal shot to set up the zone shot. You can then chain them! Some gears move fast and need you to aim slightly ahead.

Thank you both! I beat the level with 2 seconds left on the clock :toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!
OK so I just did not get this, and nothing in game told me this, but I'm hoping this will help at least someone out as much as I think it does myself:
  • Charged Topspin (by pressing A) COUNTERED by slice
  • Charged Slice (by pressing B) COUNTERED by topspin
  • Charged Flat (by pressing Y) COUNTERED by flat
  • Charged Lob (by doing UP + X or A + B) COUNTERED by flat
  • Charged Drop (by doing DOWN + X or B + A) COUNTERED by topspin
I only knew about the X variants of Lob/Drop, and would constantly get a lovely trick shot when trying to do these quickly ( Such a horrible control scheme -_- )