Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

RCarr posted:

More points =/= more skill
I hate this argument and it always, without fail comes up in regards to matchmaking. :sigh: Sure it's technically possible to play for a huge amount of time and not get any more skilled but in reality people tend to get better with practice.

Obviously this game is still pretty fresh, but I keep seeing this argument in other games like Overwatch where sometimes you're put up against people with something ridiculous like 800 more hours in the game than you and everyone falls over themselves to point out that maybe those people spent 800 hours not improving at all did you consider that hmmmmmmm? :smugbert:

Your Computer fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Jun 24, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Yeah the more points =/= more skill thing is super dumb and wrong and it actually means a lot and it's hilariously dumb to think otherwise

More points doesn't mean a person is undefeatable but if you told me to bet on the guy with 10k playing bowser jr vs the guy with 400-500 playing was Toad I'd kinda go with the 10k dude winning

At some point it WILL stop mattering most likely but at that difference? Naah

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
It's really fun because since I started playing this game it's been a nearly endless stream of Boo and Bowser Jr. players with several thousands of points and me losing every match and getting 0-2 points for playing.

It doesn't seem like buttons I press ever do what I want them to do. During the demo I felt as if I had mastered the controls and held my own against nearly every other player. I really don't understand why I can't play this game and I don't know what to do to learn why nothing I do works the way I anticipate it to.

Great example: just played against a Boo (shocking!) and every time he lobbed the ball I'd stand in the star, charge my shot, and then would never swing. Why didn't my character ever swing their racket? No one knows.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Have you tried playing normal online instead of tournament?

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Bowser Jr is loving unbeatable in simple mode

He is a loving wall

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

This game just came out how are there players with almost 100,000 points?

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Whoa, I think I found my groove with Luigi.

Goodguy3
Aug 11, 2016

"What?! I'm not tangled up like this for fun, you know!"
https://twitter.com/g00dguy23/status/1010908468465754113

It feels so dirty to win like this, but so in character for Waluigi.

Here's a bonus:
https://twitter.com/g00dguy23/status/1010908012335194112

Wendell
May 11, 2003

I’m lucky enough to have not faced any monster point havers, and the two Bowser Jr.s I’ve met I chumpatized.

I think playing a tournament against the computer might help anyone struggling improve their game.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Once you get the hang of boos curves he's really not that bad. He's stronger than average but he's not the insurmountable threat he's being made out to be.

Now bowser jr... they kinda messed up with him, he's way too good

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I just played my first 2 online matches and both were 4/5 bars and I got smoked. Is there even bad input delay in anything less than 5 bars? Felt like I had zero shot getting to the ball.

velvet milkman
Feb 13, 2012

by R. Guyovich
ya bowser jr is way too strong

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Feenix posted:

I just played my first 2 online matches and both were 4/5 bars and I got smoked. Is there even bad input delay in anything less than 5 bars? Felt like I had zero shot getting to the ball.

No, there is not bad input delay in that situation. Keep trying, you’ll get better!

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Yeah with a loss it is possible to get 0 points for a match. Round 1 and 2 wins are 10 or 20. People with thousands of points have repeatedly won tournaments

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My face when others are unable to appreciate the :kazooieass:

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
So after trying to play a million games as Boo and falling short of winning the finals, I accidentally picked Bowser Jr who was right next to him and proceeded to win the entire tournament 2-0 managing to beat a guy 8n the finals who was also playing Bowser Jr and had nearly 10000 more points than me. This was my first game as Bowser Jr.

Daily reminder that Bowser Jr is overtuned as gently caress and needs to be addressed in a balance patch.

velvet milkman
Feb 13, 2012

by R. Guyovich
im sure this is not a fresh take, but throw it on the pile. the gameplay is awesome and I don't regret my purchase, but that's only because I'm enjoying the online multiplayer. this game is a massive piece of poo poo if you're not into the competitive aspect

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I cannot get used to Boo's curving shots. How do you anticipate them? Sometimes they look like they're going one way and then they don't and other times it looks like they're going one way and they keep going that direction.

Is there a tell I'm not noticing or is it just bullshit?

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice
The direction that slices curve depends on whether the character is left or right handed and if the ball was to the left or right of them when they hit it, i.e. if they hit it backhand or forehand.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Can lob shots be aimed to the left or right? Every drop shot I make drops it in the center.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Wildtortilla posted:

Can lob shots be aimed to the left or right? Every drop shot I make drops it in the center.

Yes, hold a direction.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

jimmydalad posted:

So after trying to play a million games as Boo and falling short of winning the finals, I accidentally picked Bowser Jr who was right next to him and proceeded to win the entire tournament 2-0 managing to beat a guy 8n the finals who was also playing Bowser Jr and had nearly 10000 more points than me. This was my first game as Bowser Jr.

Daily reminder that Bowser Jr is overtuned as gently caress and needs to be addressed in a balance patch.

Currently using this strategy of “be bowser jr” now that I’m at 8000 points with no tourney wins

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I'm queuing for round three as Toadette and mm doing an experiment where I cancel every Boo and Jr opponent. It took six cancels before I got someone else (Waluigi).

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Boo legitimately isn't that hard, his slices curve like crazy but that makes them semi predictable to trick shot to and if you can lure him up against the net here's very vulnerable cause his mobility is not that great

Bowser Jr there is no excuse for however

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

https://youtu.be/KgA_S_q5oeQ?t=33

Please share this video with your friends

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I legitimately do not understand how any part of Boo's slice is predictable.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

https://youtu.be/KgA_S_q5oeQ?t=33

Please share this video with your friends

He makes absolutely no sense. I don't understand how the designers saw his court-spanning trickshot and thought, yep. Ship it!

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
I want to stuff Bowser Jr. Into a locker like the nerd he is.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I'd buy DLC that removes Boo and Jr. from the game.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
The bowser jr metagame will be strong. Can’t wait for the yet to be unveiled characters to gently caress balance up though.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

this game feels rushed, i wonder if other stuff getting delayed pressured nintendo to try and have it out earlier

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
Won the tourney a 2nd time, feels good. There's a dude on the leaderboard who hasn't lost yet with 276 straight wins :stare:

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
I have a modest proposal for preventing the children of Bowsers from being a burden on the public and country of Mario Tennis Aces.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

The snow big hands boss can loving die in a fire. Seriously. How the gently caress did that mess get out of game design 101?

velvet milkman
Feb 13, 2012

by R. Guyovich
been trying to queue up for a finals tournament match as bowser jr for like 10 mins straight now and everyone cancels on me immediately. can't say i blame them

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My face when others are unable to appreciate the :kazooieass:

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
Ever since picking up Bowser Jr, I’ve won two out of three tournaments and lost that one in the finals to another Bowser Jr. I’ve become the thing I’ve loathed the most.

But his reach and ability to spam charged shots is so dumb and you can easily combo 1-2 fully charged topspins with a fully charged drop shot to make it really hard for your opponent to do anything. Most of the times I lost points was then the drop shots hit the net and then dropped out on the other side.

He’s ridiculously strong and I’m a filthy person who will exploit him unless something changes.

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."
I was playing as Bowser Jr hoping to run into a player better than me to give me a clue on how to beat him. It was a player with 40K points, and he was spamming trick shots to generate meter. That leads me to believe that if you can’t generate more energy than Bowser Jr he’s going to be tough to beat.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

JackDarko posted:

I was playing as Bowser Jr hoping to run into a player better than me to give me a clue on how to beat him. It was a player with 40K points, and he was spamming trick shots to generate meter. That leads me to believe that if you can’t generate more energy than Bowser Jr he’s going to be tough to beat.

I don't see how you can when he can trick shot literally the entire court.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
The one thing I wish the way tournaments awarded points took into account was truly epic matches. I just spent in the first round about 20 minutes against a Waluigi where we had massively long rally's and it went to tie breaker and I eventually lost because I got KO'd. So losing after 20 minutes of playing and being awarded 20 points is a bit of a kick in the nuts. I realize I'm not even close to being world class so rankings dont' even matter but still.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

soggybagel posted:

The one thing I wish the way tournaments awarded points took into account was truly epic matches. I just spent in the first round about 20 minutes against a Waluigi where we had massively long rally's and it went to tie breaker and I eventually lost because I got KO'd. So losing after 20 minutes of playing and being awarded 20 points is a bit of a kick in the nuts. I realize I'm not even close to being world class so rankings dont' even matter but still.

Agreed. I was in a match as Toadette v Rosalina and each game was at least 50 rallies back and forth. I lost in a shootout and got like 8 points. At least points don't get you anything??????

I think that Firelord hero in Warcalraft 3 was the last time I hated playing against a character as much as I hate playing against Jr and Boo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Boo is light work.

If you play a mid/close game his spin is completely nullified.

Bowser Jr, is loving dumb. Stupid loving range, and is able to get absurd angles on shots