Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Resident Evil remake was a chill run :comfysamus:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Node posted:

When do the runs typically get uploaded once a GDQ wraps up?

NOW.
https://www.reddit.com/r/speedrun/comments/8tkb8t/sgdq_vod_thread_2018/

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I'm watching the sonic 3 and knuckles run and so far it's highly recommended.

DAMMIT TAILS

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

DaveKap posted:

Of all the gifs I made, I think the first one was the best.

thank you for this treasure

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
bloodborn was glorious
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6a8bc-V6seo&t=1322s

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

KennyMan666 posted:

Will run through the last bunch of pages of the thread to gather recommendations for the list later today, so post 'em if you got 'em.

The Super Mario 3 race was fantastic, but less due to the run and more due to the bromance

The Cuphead run is amazing

The Mario Maker race is possibly the most hype part of the stream... until they did the blindfolded level

Shoutout to the Amy run cause I woke up way too early to watch it and ended up sleeping in for work that day

Really I spent way more of this SGDQ :emptyquote:ing the chill thread than trying to judge the stream, which is probably the better mindset anyway, they're all good runs in one way other another and all worth watching at some point

Pokemon run was real bad, though

parabolic
Jul 21, 2005

good night, speedfriend

Zerilan posted:

Resident Evil remake was a chill run :comfysamus:

The Chill Metalhead hour of Resident Evil and FEAR with Pessimism and Maxylobes was superfun. Both the runs were interesting too, especially the FEAR one.

Good loooooooooks.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

The explanations behind Zelda Bingo's development were more interesting than Zelda Bingo, for whatever that's worth.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Recommendations list in second post updated. Still time for suggestions if you think there's something obviously missing, but I'm gonna PM a mod to have the SGDQ threads unstickied after I've slept, if it's not been done before then anyway.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013
I was real down on 100% map super Metroid but wow that was great. Making it not serious is probably exactly what was needed to make sm enjoyable again. I even enjoyed Caleb who I’m not a fan of in general.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Caleb not knowing much about super metroid was great. Unless that was an act, but if it was, it was done well.

And it's not a true 100% run as He missed one tile :colbert:

Tathris
Mar 26, 2010

I think the Star Wars runs were pretty good, if you don't mind the commentary being a little sleepy. The Jedi Knight games seem like really fun games to run, lots of movement stuff and pc game weirdness.

The two Deus Ex games by Heinki were great as usual, he's a really entertaining runner and the games are fun to watch (original Deus Ex more than Mankind Divided)

Seconding the RE4 recommendation too, I ended buying the game because it looked really fun (and I should honestly have played it by now).

Those are the runs that come to mind right now that aren't on the list already (as far as i can see) but there's probably a lot I can't recall right now.

Runs were really solid for most of this event honestly, with only a few i would actually recommend against.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
What run is the snake on the couch from?

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Captain Invictus posted:

Caleb not knowing much about super metroid was great. Unless that was an act, but if it was, it was done well.

And it's not a true 100% run as He missed one tile :colbert:

Seems to be a common theme. The FFVI run forgot, Alexender after killing the boss to obtain him.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

I just realised that Warcraft III isn't on the list of recommendations, so I'll stand up for it. The game itself isn't amazing for speedrunning, but covertmuffin could read the phone book and make it seem entertaining. He's so earnestly goofy that you can't resist the good vibes.

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me
Haven't seen anyone mention Bound, probably due to the time slot it got. It's a very pretty game to watch and it's a good run if you enjoy commentary from the developers. It was really interesting to hear how they actually designed the game with speedrun tricks in mind, but then of course runners found their own unintended skips on top of the intended ones.

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Oh, the network slogan is true -- "watch FOX and be damned for all eternity!"

Sindai posted:

What run is the snake on the couch from?

That's the F.E.A.R. run.

synthetik
Feb 28, 2007

I forgive you, Will. Will you forgive me?

Samuel Clemens posted:

I just realised that Warcraft III isn't on the list of recommendations, so I'll stand up for it. The game itself isn't amazing for speedrunning, but covertmuffin could read the phone book and make it seem entertaining. He's so earnestly goofy that you can't resist the good vibes.

I had to turn it off the third time he said “Uthur PenDoucheNozzle” - that guy is just terrible.

Twinty Zuleps
May 10, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy

Kikas posted:

This is my favourite meme of 2018 so ofc I saved it

yaaaay Thank you

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
What prompted the deluge of samus avatars, especially non-armored/zero suit(and thus inferior) samuses, like the metroid runs were all great but nothing felt trend-setting about them

or is it meme stuff like the bird butts

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Captain Invictus posted:

What prompted the deluge of samus avatars, especially non-armored/zero suit(and thus inferior) samuses, like the metroid runs were all great but nothing felt trend-setting about them

Samus owns

Chat thread owns

RedMagus
Nov 16, 2005

Male....Female...what does it matter? Power is beautiful, and I've got the power!
Grimey Drawer
Memes, and the fact that Samus is awesome. the chill thread was a goldmine of avatars, not sure if there's an imgur folder of them

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
oh I'm not disputing samus being awesome, she's been one of my favorite game characters since II. I just think zero suit was the point where her character designs went downhill real hard, her characterization too

also the new varia suit design is butts compared to the Super/Prime one

bad:

good:

RedMagus
Nov 16, 2005

Male....Female...what does it matter? Power is beautiful, and I've got the power!
Grimey Drawer
Agreed, the issue with the first one is it's heavily emphasizing the feminine form and the hourglass figure.

Also all the fanart from the thread got posted Some NSFW/NMS in there FYI

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
We had a heartfelt and wholesome discussion on Samus and her role as an iconic character and what she meant/means to us and it was good. Everyone appreciates Samus.

Also death to of the author.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Captain Invictus posted:

In the process of exploring Samus fanart I discovered I apparently really like super-mecha varia suit designs where Samus is smaller than the suit.

I also ran across a few pieces that are legitimately so good I should probably post them in the metroid thread.

Uh... there is a metroid thread, right?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

victrix posted:

In the process of exploring Samus fanart I discovered I apparently really like super-mecha varia suit designs where Samus is smaller than the suit.

I also ran across a few pieces that are legitimately so good I should probably post them in the metroid thread.

Uh... there is a metroid thread, right?

there was a metroid thread, dunno if it still exists. I had it bookmarked but it disappeared at some point

also this is the best picture of samus in her suit, literally the only thing that isn't perfect about this image is her giraffe neck

everything about how the mechanisms fit and how, say, the inner armpit armor is super thin but the outer arm armor is super thick is just :kiss: design, it accomodates a human frame unlike, say, space marine armor from warhammer 40k which requires a crazy inhuman skeleton

Varia Suit is the best power armor anyone has ever designed, fight me

1-800-DOCTORB
Nov 6, 2009
but how does she morph ball?

Evil Badman
Aug 19, 2006

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

Great thing about the chill thread is we didn't pick fights about the best fanart or representation.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

Captain Invictus posted:

everything about how the mechanisms fit and how, say, the inner armpit armor is super thin but the outer arm armor is super thick is just :kiss: design, it accomodates a human frame unlike, say, space marine armor from warhammer 40k which requires a crazy inhuman skeleton

In that picture, her arms have a range of motion from "awkwardly far away from body" to "slightly more awkwardly far away from body". She can't lift enough to get to a T-pose, let alone over her head, and can't get her arms much farther down than they are shown. Also, zero peripheral visibility.

I mean, I love it, but it ain't practical.

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

Captain Invictus posted:

also this is the best picture of samus in her suit, literally the only thing that isn't perfect about this image is her giraffe neck

BIRD DNA

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I love that old depiction of Samus and it shaped how I viewed the character as a kid, so I wasn't happy about the redesign/characterization either but as Evil Badman said

Evil Badman posted:

Great thing about the chill thread is we didn't pick fights about the best fanart or representation.

Besides, different people can appreciate different things and that's fine and good. It's alright to like all the Samuses and like I said, death to of the author :comfysamus:

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Captain Invictus posted:

also the new varia suit design is butts compared to the Super/Prime one

counterpoint: her suit design in 2017's Samus Returns is loving awesome

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

What page of the fast paced thread was the Gift run?

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

Sub Rosa posted:

What page of the fast paced thread was the Gift run?

D. Ebdrup posted:

Some awesome people already did the work of finding them:

DizzyBum posted:

Oh, if anyone wants to clip the shoutout during the Gift run, I found the page where it's mentioned. Just need to find the right time. If nobody gets to it I'll get it later:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3861147&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=968

Sage Grimm posted:

And here's the vod time when it was brought up:
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/278099010?t=30h57m30s

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

1-800-DOCTORB posted:

but how does she morph ball?
mass displacement, same as she always does. she's kinda like soundwave.

SatansBestBuddy posted:

counterpoint: her suit design in 2017's Samus Returns is loving awesome
it's ok, better than the other m suit for sure, nothing else really captured the feeling of an unstoppable tank-like figure like the Super version though

anyways we all know which is the real best power suit.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Captain Invictus posted:

anyways we all know which is the real best power suit.

Oddly that one grew on me. It's very "crap we had to remove her outer armor and now bits won't stay put. Hand me that saran wrap!"

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Bruceski posted:

Oddly that one grew on me. It's very "crap we had to remove her outer armor and now bits won't stay put. Hand me that saran wrap!"

I liked the concept but the helmet always struck me as weird, like they couldn't figure out how to make it work with the rest of the suit so they literally just glued it on top

(also wasn't a huge fan of the fact that they :effort: the varia/gravity/final variations that were literally just color changes)

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Bruceski posted:

what, you think I was joking?
I only half was!

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

I liked the concept but the helmet always struck me as weird, like they couldn't figure out how to make it work with the rest of the suit so they literally just glued it on top

(also wasn't a huge fan of the fact that they :effort: the varia/gravity/final variations that were literally just color changes)
with it being basically an organic suit I prefer that to literally any of the millions of fanart renditions that give her metroid shoulderpads or metroid mouth-cannon-arm or whatever the gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Captain Invictus posted:

Hmm, let me check the meme indices

:hmmyes:

• Locked thread