Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

IOwnCalculus posted:

Depends on if it even has knock sensors. It might not, might just rely on properly setting the base timing.

Yep and this is what I'd suggest next if you haven't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

STR posted:

Generally, bad head gaskets result in the engine consuming coolant, or the oil and coolant mixing, and generally exhaust gases entering the cooling system. I can't say I've heard of a head gasket causing an oil leak (except on Nissan timing covers :argh:), but valve cover gaskets certainly can and will (and there's about a 99% chance of them being the source of the leak).

This guy doesn't gently caress (with subarus).

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

hitze posted:

Yeah slap a drat electric fan in there and call it a day

Was waiting for this suggestion to come up with the cost of these unobtainium units. I'd replace both of them with decent electric ones and make sure there's a halfway decent shroud setup (this makes a big difference, don't ditch the stock one and see if you can find a similar or same size aftermarket fan to fit in there), with thermo control.

Also clean the hell out of that heat exchanger because it doesn't look like it's going to be able to do much otherwise. Might be bearing grease from a dying fan or mud/muck, who knows. A really soft bristle brush might not bend the fins too much, and some tweezers can help bend them back straight after.

Suburban Dad fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Jun 4, 2019

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

chrisgt posted:

You're going to have a hard time getting an electric fan that matches the flow of the clutch fan, fixing that is probably the best long term solution.

Absolutely agree, but if he literally can't find parts to fix, a thicker radiator and electric is probably the next best thing.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

You might try taking the rusty trans cooler hose line to a hydraulic shop to see if they can replicate it. Seems that wouldn't be hard for <$250.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

You know a pump IS working usually when you hear it hum with the key on. :v:

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

I know them as flare wrenches, maybe try using that terminology and see if you still get weird looks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

everdave posted:

I would not be super concerned that the filter was smaller if it fits right otherwise, hopefully you can just get that missing part.

Except that it won't fit in the fuckin' bracket. :v:

That sucks dude. Hope you can get the right stuff and it helps somewhat with how it runs.