Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SUSE Creamcheese
Apr 11, 2007
Certain flavors of old Bosch fuel injection do in fact use throttle position switches, not sensors. All they do is tell the ECU that the throttle is closed (so that it can regulate idle speed using an auxiliary air valve) or wide open (so that it can enrich the air-fuel mixture). Everything in between is handled by whatever air flow meter the specific system uses. In your truck I think it’s K-Jetronic? In any case a bad switch would probably only cause stalling at idle since the ECU doesn’t realize the throttle is closed. There are almost never issues with the WOT side..

Volvos with K-Jetronic and LH-Jetronic are like this and Mercedes used the former in a bunch of cars so I figure they used a similar arrangement of controls/control logic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SUSE Creamcheese
Apr 11, 2007
None of the various Jetronic cars I’ve worked on have had any facility for a higher idle when the engine is cold. They deal with cold starts by running a dedicated cold start injector that enriches the mixture until the engine starts to warm up. In cars with the more basic versions of CIS/K-jet, once the cold start injector cuts off there’s another component called the warmup regulator that takes over - it controls a fuel pressure circuit that allows it to gradually lean out the mixture as the engine warms up. I found this explanation of the components and behaviors of KE-Jetronic, which the OP’s truck has - it has a few electronic wrinkles that I’m not familiar with. Hopefully this is of some assistance with troubleshooting.

https://www.benzworld.org/threads/bosch-ke-jetronic-overview.1553096/