Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

We’ve got a pair of 2017 Gwagen Utes at work, and the drat things look practically IDENTICAL to that thing. Even down to the interior layout. Ours just don’t have carpet or walnut accents

And cost AU$118K a piece

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Some chains do legitimately stretch in length- the timing chain on my brothers CJ lancer stretched nearly 3/4” of an inch until the MIVEC system couldn’t compensate any more and it ceased to run properly.

Apparently the tech at Mitsubishi could turn the cams the best part of 1/4 of a turn before the slack got taken up. Known issue too...

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Fun Fact- The intersection of the South Australian, Northern Territory and Queensland borders here in Australia is Called Poeppels Corner, After Augustus Poeppel who surveyed it in the mid 1880's.

Back in the days before GPS, to measure out long distances, they used chains- 100 links, 66 feet long, that they would drag out over the terrain, mark the end, then drag it past, mark that end and rinse and repeat. In the middle of the Australian Desert. In Summer.

So i turns out after you drag a chain over the countryside from the intersection of the New South Wales, South Aus and Queensland border, all the way up to Haddon Corner and across to Poeppels Corner, you end up wearing your surveying chain out so badly that the point they originally measured as being correct wound up being close to 150m further west than it actually is!

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Support the fan ring on some blocks of wood so the clutch is hanging in free space and then GENTLY apply a soft faced hammer around the clutch perimeter.

If your bolts looked like that, theres gonna be some corrosion between the steel fan insert and alloy housing of the clutch holding it together.

Make sure you support it as well as you can- 4 spots min, 8 would be better (2x4 on edge is perfect for that) or you could shatter the fan.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

That sucks. At least toyota is polite enough to make theirs a bolt together two part thing and they even sell the silicone fluid for the inside of it so you can top them back up again after they stop working properly

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

That greasy stuff on the AC condenser core looks like its got that really distinctive UV dye glow, might have a leaky condenser there.

And yeah, the whole "Replace a mechanical fan on a 4wd with an electric one" has been tried to death with poor results over the years- There arent many electric fans that fit in an engine bay that can move the shear bulk air that a big mechanical can and when your in low range working them hard, your doing... 5ish km/hr so external airflow is non existent. Low speed, high load offroad work is a totally different kettle of fish to a normal car cruising on the highway.

The airflow from a big landcruiser 80 series fan has been measured at well north of 6000cfm and thats AFTER its been sucked through the AC and radiator cores

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

With my Toyotas, which use the same style of fan mounting, the studs that thread into the water pump have a small section in the middle thats NOT threaded, and its thicker than the pulley material. Because the fan hub mounting boss is 6mm or so thick, that unthreaded section protrudes into the fan hub flange and then the nuts hold it tight.

Might need to slap some washers under the nuts on the water pump studs. Or install the bolts if its a bolt on styleand they arent in! Probably before the pulley falls off and fucks off over the horizon!

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

All that effort and he didnt spring for a gas bottle for his mig??? I swear thats all flux core welding!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

That mad Irishman who does the stop motion photography restorations of his car touched on this insane system doing a W123 restoration that might help you out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CgrJvsS4KDM