Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

You're gonna need a radiator unless you can source the tank and have a radiator shop swap em out.
Do all the hoses, fan clutch, and belts while the radiator isn't in the way, if it's a slushie, do the trans cooler hoses too .
Fill it with G05.
Don't buy Uro brand otherwise uro gonna be replacing that poo poo again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

It's to pump air into the exhaust system to help the catalyst during engine warmup.
Modern cars sometimes have them in the form of an electric blower.

If you have emissions testing, fix it. it'll eventually lead to a damaged catalyst fwiw.

The pump itself is nothing fancy. Just a rotary vane pump with an electric clutch on the front.

E: it'll run fine without it and should not cause drivability issues with it defunct.

cursedshitbox fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Jul 20, 2018

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

glyph posted:

Is that a valve adjustment noise? I don't know enough about these engines- Chain? Belt? Anything variable (timing)? Somehow I doubt anything is variable, doesn't this v8 architecture date back to the 30s or something?

M117. 71-92. single chain, straight timing, mechanical lifters.

I can't really tell anything. Maybe lifter noise?

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

meltie posted:

It is apparently possible to refill your own clutch if all the oil has leaked out...

https://www.peachparts.com/shopforu...h-pictures.html

(there's a whole bunch of fan clutch geekdom on that thread)

Yup. Refilled the one on my farmtruck 3 years ago, its still working a ok.

E: old composite fans on a healthy clutch will absolutely break apart and ruin your loving day.