Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

AutohausAZ is legit. I bought a few things from them for my Volvo years ago, back when they would do will call.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Seems legit, and also sounds like a hellish job. Four Corners (intersection of Arizona, Utah, Colorado, and New Mexico) is just shy of 550m away from where it actually "should" be.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I mean absolute worst case you buy a set of cut to fit wires and spend an hour saving $600+.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

LloydDobler posted:

Generally timing is a closed loop thing. It knocks a little, it pulls timing immediately. I don't think there's any storage or learning involved, especially on older stuff.

Depends on if it even has knock sensors. It might not, might just rely on properly setting the base timing.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Even for a Mercedes that doesn't sound right for checking ignition timing. That sounds like verifying that the cams are in time with each other / the crankshaft.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

If you're going to pull the mechanical fan altogether and try to run on just those (admittedly quite beefy) electric fans, I wouldn't do it without at least wiring up a manual fan switch for testing. If it works, then I'd eventually swap that manual toggle switch out for a thermostatically controlled one.

Also, I have never heard of being concerned about exposing an engine cooling system to oxygen, with the sole possible exception of early Dexcool that would turn to sand.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Yeah, the acid can corrode things, but why not just do more cycles with distilled water to ensure you get it all out? It seems like that'd be far better for the cooling system's longevity than just doing one drain/refill after the acid flush.

Granted, I never bother with running the engine without a thermostat in it while doing coolant flushes, but even without worrying about that, it takes a few times to get all of the old poo poo out.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

The loose-hanging "screw" is a "jiggle valve" which allows a small amount of flow even when the thermostat is closed, so that you can actually bleed the system of air.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

You might need some flare nut wrenches / line wrenches to separate those fittings without rounding them, or at the very least, some locking adjustable pliers.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

You could possibly get someone to weld those tubes shut on the condenser if it's just that one area that's leaking.

On the hoses... if they're that expensive I'd seriously look into building some AN or JIC hoses to replace them, unless they're some super weird proprietary fitting on one end that can't be adapted.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I've never even considered using slow motion for that. Yeah I'd say that pump is done.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Oh poo poo, I didn't even consider that either. If the clutch isn't the type that threads on with one giant nut - and that doesn't seem to be the case here - then without the clutch in place there's nothing holding that pulley to the pump, unless you reinstalled the bolts after taking the clutch off. You'll want to make sure that they don't foul on anything since they'll be threaded in deeper than before, or alternatively buy versions that are shorter by the thickness of the clutch mounting face.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Pursesnatcher posted:

Update: Google made me wiser; seems I've got to loosen the servo pump in order to loosen the belts. Belts themselves were last changed only six years and 20k miles ago, so I won't be replacing the ones in there, methinks.

This is typical of V-belt systems, one of the accessories on any given belt loop will be adjustable.

You shouldn't even need to remove the belts (or any bolts), just loosen the mounting bolts on the pump enough to give it a shove towards the centerline of the engine and you should get enough slack to rotate the pulley into the right orientation.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Excluding very very unusual transmissions, nearly all automatics have a pump that is driven by the input shaft and torque converter, even in park and neutral. So any time the engine is running, fluid should be moving.

It will take a long time for the transmission to get to operating temperature like that, but it will eventually. STR recommended the heater running to keep the engine cooler for a prolonged idling session.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

You've got a set of line wrenches, right? They'll be your only hope at dismantling that without destroying that pipe.

Even then, I don't like the odds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I was going to suggest the same thing. Cut up tire, sheet rubber, just something soft but reasonably stable to make up the gap and let the clamp close down tight.