Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Oven Wrangler

17 mpg is... Not that bad. And I bet you just made it a bit higher.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Oven Wrangler

Fan clutches can make all sorts of funny noises when they're fubar. With the engine off and cold, reach in there and give it a spin. What does it do?

Install a new fan clutch and glass packs OP.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Oven Wrangler

HandlingByJebus posted:

Just buy a SPAL electric puller fan with thermo switch kit from Amazon and replace the mechanical fan with it. They’re pretty inexpensive, high quality, and easy to install, then you won’t have anything to worry about.

I like this option best in this application. It leaves the AC fans as a separate and redundant cooling option for this unobtanium motor. They cut on at 95c regardless of AC operation correct?

If it was something common I would think it was unnecessary - here it's good insurance.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Oven Wrangler

A fuel restriction bad enough to affect idle would almost certainly prevent the engine from reaching higher RPMs, and it's actually running pretty well if you keep the throttle open, yeah?

In the video it seems like it's running so rich with the throttle closed that it's flooding the plugs. How does this engine management system handle idle control? Is there an IACV that could be clogged or stuck?

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Oven Wrangler

Does it ever act up idling in park, or is this exclusively something that happens at low load in motion?

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Oven Wrangler

Well it's almost certainly an engine management issue, but your system is unfamiliar to most.

Have you replaced O2 sensors, or priced them? As "throwing parts at the problem" goes, it may be worthwhile since so many other parts seem to be bespoke and expensive.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Oven Wrangler

Definitely hunt vacuum leaks - but the sort of issues you're having would take a pretty major leak that would (I think) definitely affect idle pretty dramatically.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Oven Wrangler

If the ECU isn't getting an accurate coolant temp reading, it's going to cause all sorts of fuckery with idle speed and fueling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Oven Wrangler

Oh well yeah that's possibly true lol. I can tune a carb and I can work with OBD2... The poo poo in between is like Pandora's box IMO.