Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues
Fat Mimics in Party Hats: Let's Play Prey Mooncrash

In May 2017 Arkane Studios released an interesting FPS that lots of people called a successor to the System Shock games of old, though one could argue it also has a lot of familiar gameplay and thematic tones from the original intended SS successor series Bioshock. The game gives its players a wide variety of tools to approach a wide variety of problems that arise within the confines of its location, while facing off against a creepy alien entity that mimics and corrupts all that they may hold dear. It's a responsive game world that considers the creativity and flexibility of the players, and ultimately one that considers you and how you have played it.

They called this game Prey.

You might imagine we've had this conversation before, and we most certainly did because I did a Let's Play of Prey where I asked the thread to vote on a handful of polls to pick how I would ultimately approach the game to see how the game responded. You're probably still wondering if this thread is a mimic. It's fine, hit it with a wrench if you don't trust it.

In June 2018 as the Electronic Entertainment Expo was doing its usual hype for future game releases, Arkane Studios dropped a major patch for Prey. In this free patch came the addition of three game modes for the original story mode, to further expand upon the ways that Prey can be approached by the different types of players it may encounter. That's not what this thread is going to be about though, because along with this free update Arkane released some paid dlc that they had been teasing for some months now, starting not too long after I had finished the original LP.

In Prey Mooncrash you play Peter, a hacker working for the KASMA Corporation trying to steal Transtar corporate secrets. Trying to piece together data relating to an incident on Transtar's moon base, Peter uses a Looking Glass headset to dive into a moment of history and assumes the role of one of five characters whose personal stories played out in the midst of all the anarchy of a moon-side Typhon outbreak.

Mooncrash has all the atmosphere that Prey did, and while the game is definitely geared towards a cycle of repetition through its game-space via success or death, there is still some excellent writing that we come to expect from Arkane. There's also a multiplayer component coming, along with a few cosmetic updates and we'll be trying to show those off too.

This LP will be considered done once I have completed all the KASMA objectives set by the game. I have no idea how long that will take.

All footage and audio recorded in this Let's Play is from a blind playthrough, and as such you will likely see some common mistakes not merely in how it is played but in the general interpretation of how these systems play out by the commentators. This is merely a warning as courtesy, as I know how frustrating it can be watching someone miss something blatantly occurring two feet in front of their face.

As a general spoiler rule, do not discuss any mission objective procedures, character unlock methods/locations, personal story objective details or any gameplay mechanics until they actually appear as you may not only spoil another poster but you might actually spoil me on something and I ain't down with that. As always if you feel like you have to put it in spoiler tags or you're not sure if it's a spoiler or not just don't post it, and wait till it pops up.

Along with Mooncrash I am going to be relinking all the videos of the Prey LP as I let it fall into the archives because I figured with more content coming I could just do a big thread. The new content will be at the bottom of the first post.

Prey Episodes.
Episode 1: March 15, 2032 – Youtube | Polsy
Episode 2: The Lobby - Youtube | Polsy
Episode 3: Hardware Labs - Youtube | Polsy
Episode 4: Lobby Continued and Psychotronics Entrance - Youtube | Polsy
Episode 5: Simulations Revisited, Neuromod Testing and Development - Youtube | Polsy
Episode 6: Psychotronics Labs – Youtube | Polsy
Episode 7: G.U.T.S. – Youtube | Polsy
Episode 8: Arboretum – Youtube | Polsy
Episode 9: Shuttle Bay – Youtube | Polsy
Episode 10: Bridge and Living Quarters – Youtube | Polsy
Episode 11: Living Quarters Continued – Youtube | Polsy
Episode 12: Deep Storage – Youtube | Polsy
Episode 13: Cargo Bay – Youtube | Polsy
Episode 14: Life Support – Youtube | Polsy
Episode 15: Power Plant – Youtube | Polsy
Episode 16: Responsibility – Youtube | Polsy
Episode 17: Repo Man – Youtube | Polsy
Episode 18: Apex – Youtube | Polsy
Episode 19: Round-Up – Youtube | Polsy
Supplement: Scans – Youtube

Prey Mooncrash Episodes
Episode 1: The KASMA Contract – Youtube | Polsy
Episode 2: The Engineer - Youtube | Polsy
Episode 3: A Little Bird Told Me – Youtube | Polsy
Episode 4: Security Officer - Youtube | Polsy
Episode 5: The Volunteer - Youtube | Polsy
Episode 6: It Gets Worse – Youtube | Polsy
Episode 7: Prep Work – Youtube | Polsy
Episode 8: The Custodian – Youtube | Polsy
Episode 9: Riley Yu - Youtube | Polsy
Episode 10: Clean Sweep – Youtube | Polsy
Episode 11: It's All In Your Head – Youtube | Polsy
Episode 12: Test Fire – Youtube | Polsy
Episode 13: Moon Round-Up - Youtube | Polsy
Supplement: Scans - Youtube

TheLastRoboKy fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Nov 15, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

I may put something in this post but I'm mostly just lazy so no promises

Episode 1: The KASMA Contract – Youtube | Polsy

TheLastRoboKy fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Dec 10, 2018

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
Prey was really fun to watch, though I didn't have the chance to play it myself. The writing was really great too, and getting more of that is always welcome.

White Coke
May 29, 2015
I was wondering if you'd do this DLC or not.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Yeah doing this DLC was probably a foregone conclusion but it definitely helped that the first run absolutely hooked me in.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
ITS HAPPENING :D

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
It took me about 5 minutes after I saw it, but I just realized something:

There's a third Yu sibling? Color me surprised, I only recall hearing and seeing only two. Now, the question is, is she retconned in, was she always there, or is there something going on here?

I am already stoked for the next episode.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Is it okay to post base game Prey spoilers? Spoilering just to be safe: I actually don't mind Morgan not suffering stuff like broken legs, concussion etc. simply because they're a Typhon in a simulation. Even if they think they're 100% human, they'd still be subconsciously aware they can't break their legs or whatever.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
So how much persists between consecutive runs?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Cassa posted:

that's actually a fairly complicated question, and one that we'll get into in ep 2.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

CommissarMega posted:

Is it okay to post base game Prey spoilers? Spoilering just to be safe: I actually don't mind Morgan not suffering stuff like broken legs, concussion etc. simply because they're a Typhon in a simulation. Even if they think they're 100% human, they'd still be subconsciously aware they can't break their legs or whatever.

Prey spoilers are fine. In regards to the injuries I don't think there's any sort of story narrative to it. It was just a matter of something they worked on with this DLC and added back to the main game in a special mode.

Cassa posted:

Quite a bit though you can also separate "runs" between the individual characters and the simulation being reset (we'll see it next episode but it's no big deal for me to mention it now). Overall the persistent parts between the simulation resets are:
- Installed abilities
- Fabrication plans
- Suit chips
- Any acquired connectomes
- Scans (I think. I'm not sure)

Some factors in a simulation instance's layout will stay consistent too including the things in that first storage closet you start in and some things that will start appearing in the crater area. Dead bodies and crates will always be in the same place but I'm pretty sure what they're carrying gets randomized.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Oh man I was hoping you guys were coming back for this! Bookmarked.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

bman in 2288 posted:

It took me about 5 minutes after I saw it, but I just realized something:

There's a third Yu sibling? Color me surprised, I only recall hearing and seeing only two. Now, the question is, is she retconned in, was she always there, or is there something going on here?

I am already stoked for the next episode.
She’s a cousin.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

:siren:Episode 2: The Engineer - Youtube | Polsy:siren:

Today we meet a nice lady who likes birds, and get to know some of the new mechanics Prey Mooncrash will be slowly unleashing upon us as we step into roguelike territory.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

TheLastRoboKy posted:

Today we meet a nice lady who likes birds, and get to know some of the new mechanics Prey Mooncrash will be slowly unleashing upon us as we step into roguelike territory.
I've been playing this for a few days and I hate the Moon Shark. It's very inconsistent on how it will detect you if you stop moving, so it seems like the best strategy is just to run since you are still faster than it (since it has to come out of the ground to attack).

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

FlamingLiberal posted:

I've been playing this for a few days and I hate the Moon Shark. It's very inconsistent on how it will detect you if you stop moving, so it seems like the best strategy is just to run since you are still faster than it (since it has to come out of the ground to attack).

Yeah, and with a propulsion unit you can pretty much stay as far away from it as you need to thanks in part to the stuff that lets you just boost rapidly. I don't recommend fighting it unless you're well equipped in which case it dies much like the Nightmare does, only instead of homing psychic balls it's mostly moon rocks.

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

TheLastRoboKy posted:

...RoboKy. Remind me how many Neruomods you had in your inventory when you reset the sim that episode.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Dr. Snark posted:

...RoboKy. Remind me how many Neruomods you had in your inventory when you reset the sim that episode.

You're not my real dad you can't make me give myself sore eyes.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Dr. Snark posted:

someone said that in the youtube comments too :mmmsmug:

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Dr. Snark posted:

Yeah I had thought about mentioning that, but it's a little late. God knows I've died a few times with around 3 unused Neuromods in my inventory

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

I can't be expected to remember EVERYTHING when I'm trying to get the power up and win the game you philistines.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
That knife is amazing and I hope we get to see a great deal more of it.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

ahahaha oh my god i forgot i went on a tangent about 7th saga in this episode

for those of you who haven't played it, you can check out Nakar's old LP of it to get a taste of precisely how infuriating the entire thing is. he agrees with me on the just...level of offense intended by the drat game.

quote:

Oh gently caress you, 7th Saga. This is huge. This is a kick in the balls, even for Wilme and Lux. On general principle this is an insult, a slap in the face, a thrown gauntlet, this is personal. You can take away a man's money due to a scripted pickpocket story event. You can take away a man's freedom with a forced imprisonment sequence. You can even take away a man's weapon like Frog's badass upgraded Masamune every time I start a New Game+ in Chrono Trigger.

But you do not, as The 7th Saga, take away my motherfucking magic.

Oh, you might think this is just a little thing. That it will be over and done with swiftly and that the pain will fade. Somewhere in your pathetic soul you may believe in the slightest sliver of hope that 7th Saga is not a complete and total bitch.

But as the boss of an entirely different game once said:

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

7th Saga, the English-language version of Japan's Elnard, is one of the few games out there that just hates you personally. It's not just the character you're rolling with, but also the player at their SNES. The story will constantly and relentlessly sneer at you right up to the end. Whoops, beat the final boss? Nah, get hosed by a cutscene. Alright, alright, we'll bring you back to life after your baby rear end got splattered there. Which means that you deserve to get hosed all over again in another cutscene.

Add to this that somehow the localization made the game much harder, mostly due to massive incompetence in the name of "rebalancing"/padding where everything scaled faster than your own nerfed stats. (Elnard on its own is actually on the easy side for its era of JRPGs.) This included the other possible PCs who would occasionally fight you during story beats. (Your own companion/unchosen PC didn't scale like this, but only while they were in your party.) The difference was such that a level 35 Elnard character was about on par with their 7th Saga counterpart at +16 levels, which meant more grinding on harder monsters, which made for a lot more busywork in the overall playtime. By "a lot more" I mean that a 7th Saga playthrough should apparently take you 40-60 hours rather than the 10-20 hours of Elnard, in an age when you often couldn't fit a lot of meaningful content in a game before it started cracking like Gen 1 Pokemon or Final Fantasy 6.

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
About the neuromod thing, I think he picked up the fabricator plan for them. As soon as he gets a specific additional one, he can break the game in half whenever he wants.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

Shei-kun posted:

:agreed:
That thing looks Fun to use and we need more of it :allears:

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Dreadwroth posted:

About the neuromod thing, I think he picked up the fabricator plan for them. As soon as he gets a specific additional one, he can break the game in half whenever he wants.
Yes he did

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Then he only need one other fab plan and its PARTY TIIIME!

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Shei-kun posted:

It's SO GOOD. I had no idea it was a thing and then suddenly I have a goddamn psi-knife and I'm just mind-murdering things. It was unbelievable and you can see me practically dancing every time I use it.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

TheLastRoboKy posted:

You're not my real dad you can't make me give myself sore eyes.

Did you hit him with a wrench?

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

TheLastRoboKy posted:

It's SO GOOD. I had no idea it was a thing and then suddenly I have a goddamn psi-knife and I'm just mind-murdering things. It was unbelievable and you can see me practically dancing every time I use it.

As I recall you did do a little victory dance every time you shredded someone with that thing. Not that I blame you in the slightest :hellyeah:

Antilles
Feb 22, 2008

You should save your time loops for just when the corruption's about to tick over, you basically wasted the second one. The highest corruption levels are indeed a massive ball-ache but if you're quick and lucky you can stay at corruption 1 for a drat long time, which as soon as you've built up a decent arsenal becomes a cake-walk.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
How long does it take corruption to build up each level?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Antilles posted:

You should save your time loops for just when the corruption's about to tick over, you basically wasted the second one. The highest corruption levels are indeed a massive ball-ache but if you're quick and lucky you can stay at corruption 1 for a drat long time, which as soon as you've built up a decent arsenal becomes a cake-walk.

he was testing to see if you could lose an entire corruption level, which is what we were commenting on when that happened. yeah, it ended up wasted, but it was a needed science experiment IMO

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
Apt, considering that this is a game... about science.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Antilles posted:

Please keep in mind my playing of this game is entirely blind and my playing of stuff is basically me poking things to see how they work. There's a few things we've talked about already that at the time I didn't understand completely and have now since come to understand, so there's going to be a few moments where people correct me on something but I'm already on the up and up regarding it. It also helps if you listen to what we actually say at the time in the video because I tend to explain my mindset when I do something that might seem wasteful.

You Dodo.

Mraagvpeine posted:

How long does it take corruption to build up each level?

Initially you can spend quite a while before it ticks over (though time flies when you're having fun), but a side-effect of completing more KASMA orders and unlocking more stuff in the simulation is that timer speeds up.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Corruption Level 1 always seems short. But clearly the game is expecting you to do a LOT of runs and get the hang of all areas so you can eventually do it very fast.

I noticed that the hourglass items spawned in the same places for your run as it did for one of mine. I don’t think they change position.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

FlamingLiberal posted:

Corruption Level 1 always seems short. But clearly the game is expecting you to do a LOT of runs and get the hang of all areas so you can eventually do it very fast.

I noticed that the hourglass items spawned in the same places for your run as it did for one of mine. I don’t think they change position.

Yeah there's some static ones for sure. One of those things I've since learned. For the record I have six episodes with commentary and another three ready for commentary so I've gotten pretty close to having a grasp of where this game does stuff.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

And I'm in the middle of playing a Nightmare Survival story run so my Prey skills are sharp enough to rock the moon so expect me to continue being generally clueless for the moment. :shobon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

:siren:Episode 3: A Little Bird Told Me – Youtube | Polsy:siren:

The first of the story objectives! We learn some more about Joan and what she was getting up to as all hell broke loose on the Moon!