Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

King of Bleh posted:

My poor cultists are getting decimated left and right.

Reminds me of my favorite CW gag.

High priests: top of cultist food chain, bottom of actual food chain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades

Nightgaunt from North Pacific to Australia.

Opener: 12
Windwalker: 10
Yellow Sign: 9.
GOP: 8
Crawling Chaos: 9

Next: Opener

King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.
Summon spawn in North Atlantic

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Summon another Gnoph-Keh, same place

Opener: 10
Windwalker: 7
Yellow Sign: 9.

Dancer
May 23, 2011

Desecrate, summon byakhee

Opener: 10
Yellow Sign: 7

King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.
I should be at 8 power not 10, sorry phone posting

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Whoops, thought Spawn were at the bottom end not the top.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Move Grand Wizard from North Atlantic and two Midwest Lobbyists to Central America.

Opener: 8
GOP: 6

Kerro
Nov 3, 2002

Did you marry a man who married the sea? He looks right through you to the distant grey - calling, calling..
Desecration roll = 2 (Success)

Next up: CC

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades

Recruit Cultist in Australia.

Crawling Chaos: 8

King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.
Sorry all, on vacation with limited internet. Summon yog in North Atlantic, take channel power and dragon ascending

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Summon a Gnoph-Keh up top in the arctic

Opener: 2
Windwalker: 5

Kerro
Nov 3, 2002

Did you marry a man who married the sea? He looks right through you to the distant grey - calling, calling..

Next up: YS

Dancer
May 23, 2011
Can someone spell out to me what the exact combat stats would be in North Atlantic right now?

I count: Undead 3 + Byakhee 2 = 5
Yog = 8, I think?

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

That looks right to me.
e: and iirc each one's a d6 w/ 1/6 chance of kill and 2/6 chance of pain.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Mr. Squishy posted:

That looks right to me.
e: and iirc each one's a d6 w/ 1/6 chance of kill and 2/6 chance of pain.

Yeah. If you're not rolling combat dice then 6 is a kill, 4-5 is a pain.

King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.

Dancer posted:

Can someone spell out to me what the exact combat stats would be in North Atlantic right now?

I count: Undead 3 + Byakhee 2 = 5
Yog = 8, I think?

Come at me, bro

Kerro
Nov 3, 2002

Do it, I want to roll some (virtual) dice!

Dancer
May 23, 2011
Nah, not quite worth it.

Screaming Dead to Scandinavia.

Yellow Sign: 6

Next up: GOP

Kerro
Nov 3, 2002

I'm assuming you're taking the full entourage unless you specify otherwise?

Dancer
May 23, 2011
Oops. I had just forgotten to mention this time, but yeah, let's just establish that as default.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

I just woke up from a last 4th of July, so I'm going take another nap.

Kerro
Nov 3, 2002

Sleeper sleeps.

Next up: CC

Kerro
Nov 3, 2002

Also I have a question for experienced players about High Priests. I proxied some in for our game last night but I couldn't find this clarified in the rulebook. Do you just get a High Priest in your pool at the start of the game? So that in effect you can now have one additional cultist on the board in total? Or does it replace one of your basic acolytes, and if so how does that work?

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Jedit can correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm 90% sure you just get an extra Cultist.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

They start in the pool.
e; second bullet point in the tips and tricks on the H.P. page: "Recruit your high priest in the first Action Phase."

Mr. Squishy fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Jul 5, 2018

Kerro
Nov 3, 2002

Okay cool. I have the Omega rulebook that came with Onslaught 2 printing but it doesn't actually say. That's interesting - changes the game more than simply replacing an acolyte as it means you don't have to get your cultists eaten to be able to put them out somewhere else in the early game.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Yeah i misread your post. Its not crystal clear but i edited my post with something that clinches it.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Kerro posted:

Also I have a question for experienced players about High Priests. I proxied some in for our game last night but I couldn't find this clarified in the rulebook. Do you just get a High Priest in your pool at the start of the game? So that in effect you can now have one additional cultist on the board in total? Or does it replace one of your basic acolytes, and if so how does that work?

Each faction has one High Priest which starts in your pool and can be recruited. It's separate to your Cultists and only used if the expansion is used. The exception is the Tcho-Tchos, who always have three High Priests and start the game with five Cultists and a High Priest if the expansion is in play.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades

Build and control a gate in Australia.

Crawling Chaos: 5

Next up: Opener

Kerro
Nov 3, 2002

Mr. Squishy posted:

They start in the pool.
e; second bullet point in the tips and tricks on the H.P. page: "Recruit your high priest in the first Action Phase."

Yeah, that made me assume they either started in your pool, or that they replaced an acolyte when summoned for the first time. For some reason I just assumed it wouldn't increase your total unit count as that seemed like too significant of an impact, but that's certainly far more straight-forward.

Kerro
Nov 3, 2002

One other rules question I can't find a clear answer to. Can Nyarlathotep use 1k forms at 0 power? The rulebook says that at zero power, you can't take any action, even one that costs zero. But it also says that if a spellbook gives you power, you can use that. In the case of 1k forms those are contradictory since it's a spellbook, but also an action. Plus to confuse matters, it only has the chance to give you power.

I see a lot of players (and even a strategy guide) discussing using it when CC is at 0 power, but we had ruled that you couldn't do this, so.. I dunno?

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

I feel like it's pretty clear cut: it's an action and you can't use actions at 0 power.

I think the note about spellbooks that give you power is more referring to Passion than 1K Forms.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Kerro posted:

One other rules question I can't find a clear answer to. Can Nyarlathotep use 1k forms at 0 power? The rulebook says that at zero power, you can't take any action, even one that costs zero. But it also says that if a spellbook gives you power, you can use that. In the case of 1k forms those are contradictory since it's a spellbook, but also an action. Plus to confuse matters, it only has the chance to give you power.

I see a lot of players (and even a strategy guide) discussing using it when CC is at 0 power, but we had ruled that you couldn't do this, so.. I dunno?

Nyarlathotep cannot use 1000 Forms at 0 Power as he is out of the round. The spellbooks referred to in the rules are things like Passion, which will put Yellow Sign back in if a Cultist is captured when he is at 0 Power.

Kerro
Nov 3, 2002

Ok good that's how I interpreted it. I'm just surprised how many people in bgg strategy discussions and stuff are getting that wrong.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Kerro posted:

Ok good that's how I interpreted it. I'm just surprised how many people in bgg strategy discussions and stuff are getting that wrong.

Like you said, it's made a little ambiguous by the rulebook and not helped by the fact that there are things you can do at 0 Power. What it boils down to is that an Action (capital A) is the thing you do when your turn comes around; if you are at 0 Power (or you are Hibernating Windwalker), then your turn doesn't happen so you can't perform an Action. However, you can still do the following:

Sacrifice a High Priest for 2 Power
Use Pre- and Post-Battle abilities
Use any other ability that does not self-describe as an Action

Also, Ongoing abilities will trigger as normal.

It's probably a good thing that you didn't use High Priests in this game, because Windwalker has a unique distinction regarding them. Any faction that has Passed can re-enter the round by sacrificing a High Priest. WW can do this if he passed normally, but cannot if he has Hibernated. It almost never arises as WW will typically Hibernate every round, but it's at least theoretically possible that he could take actions to spend all Power when there were no enemy GOOs in play.

Jedit fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Jul 6, 2018

Kerro
Nov 3, 2002

Right, that makes sense. I think I feel clear enough on High Priests that I could include them for the next game, if there is one.

Next up: Opener

King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.

Recruit a cultist in South America East.
e: Actually, probably better in North Atlantic.

Opener: 1
Tromp: 6

Next Up: Windwalker

King of Bleh fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Jul 6, 2018

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Summon the last Gnoph up top

Windwalker: 4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dancer
May 23, 2011
If I recall correctly, and this costs me 1 power: Capture that cultist.

Windwalker: 4
Yellow Sign: 5

Next up: Trump

• Locked thread