Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

konosuba's getting a movie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

also lol at anyone whos going to watch backstreet girls

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

budget.....

for real i know this gets said every single time someone talks about animation ever but its really worth knowing that flcl looked the way it did because of a once in a lifetime confluence of insanely talented animators in their primes, not because they put money into it. it helps temper expectations. well, flcl was also helped by being 6 episodes over the course of a year versus 12 episodes over the course of three months, but still.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

also iunno if it'll be good or not but starlight revue's pv was really good, and the person that basically worked day and night to make citrus have as much character as it did is the assistant director, so its probably the show im most interested in

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jijW8uzyl5Q

seriously this pv is great, so much character animation and then the final bit is great. if the play scenes consistently look half that good itll be a visual marvel

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

an actual dog posted:

Woah that's rad. It sounds like it's tied in with a musical? I hope that means they actually sing in the anime.
in japan 'revue' is used almost exclusively for musicals (im no theater kid so iunno if thats a japanism or if that tracks with the west) so they should be, esp. since its a pretty obvious angle to sell some character CDs

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Linnaeus posted:

How's the Muhyo & Roji manga? The synopsis sounds cool.
i only read the first couple volumes back when i saw it in jump ultimate stars, but i remember liking it. it's a bit repetitive like most supernatural detective agency stories tend to be, but it wasn't afraid to get a little heavy so it gave the supernatural threats some teeth. stylistically it kind of reminded me of early yugioh.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Motto posted:

https://twitter.com/somekindofthing/status/1011448361839415296?s=19

Really good for a genuine one-off original without pushing or being pushed by anything else.
Hey, the writer of symphogear said he likes it in a tweet

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Paper Triangle posted:

I still don't understand this argument. Are you saying the budgets for FLCL and FLCL: Progressive/Alternative are the same? I don't know any way to prove this one way or the other but it just seems impossible. I guess by extension you're just saying everyone on the show is at best a slightly-above-average animator? I would have to do research here, I mean Imaishi worked on the first one and not these so that's a loss by itself, but I dunno enough about the rest of the staffs to comment.

Also I don't buy anyone's argument that "the first one was an OVA and these are TV anime" because they're still six-episode series and Progressive/Alternative were announced over two years before airing.
Their budgets are probably different. but ask anyone in the industry and they'll tell you that actual money put into the project only somewhat affects the animation quality. FlipFlappers was made on a pretty shoestring amount of money, but it looks a lot better than Persona 5 The Animation, a show with a decent amount of production power behind it. Animators are paid so little that the amount of money you have doesn't really affect the level of talent you can get and the amount of animators you can have, and more animators hardly equals better. In some ways, it equals worse. God Eater is the biggest production ufotable has done, in terms of staff size, counting overseas animation, and its their worst working show by a mile. More than that, there's no way of knowing which of FLCL or the new series has more money put into it.

What matters for animation quality is the talent of the staff and the amount of time allowed to that staff, plus the general organizational quality of production, more than anything. And progressive/alternative were probably announced the moment they got the rights worked out and were committed to doing them. Two years isn't that long a leadup time - it's a decent chunk of time, but not unheard of, especially considering they're trying to organize two shows at once.

From a 2002 interview with Funimation, given by Tsurumaki, the director of the original FLCL.

quote:

Why was FLCL produced?

Gainax needed to work on something new after Evangelion, but Hideaki Anno needed a little rest, so I came up with the idea for FLCL.

This implies FLCL was in at least early planning stages since 1996, when Evangelion ended. Even giving 'after Evangelion' some space to be like, a year later, that still implies three years of development. Even if he means after End of Evangelion, that's also 2-3 years. Incidentally, that he describes FLCL as essentially a filler series, something to keep the staff busy, that implies they didn't put that much money into it, whereas the modern FLCL series is cashing in on a very successful, beloved older series. Which implies, if anything, that it'd have more of a budget.

And unlike a weekly TV series, episodes of FLCL could be done when they were done. Once an episode 'aired,' they had months to make sure the next one was fully complete, give it touchups. Even in the best produced TV series in the world, a weekly schedule is going to mean you don't have time to make things look as polished as you wish you could. Speed's of the essence, even if you had lots of lead-up time, and things are inevitably going to wind up finished last minute.

As for the talent of the animation staff, the staff for the new series, is... well, new. They've explicitly said so in interviews, and looking at staff credits bears this out. There's a few relatively old hands, Toshihisa Kaiya (director of Episode 2 of Progressive) worked on Ghost in the Shell, and Hisashi Toshima (animation director on Ep 3) got his start on pokemon movies from like ten years ago, but there's a ton of new hands in even the higher ranking positions.

Kazuto Arai, director and storyboarder of episode 1 of progressive, has his first credits as an inbetweener on a few Trigger things. Just the fact that he seemingly started animating when trigger existed should tell you how new he is, and even allowing for some early inbetweener credits to be missing, that's still new blood. And when you get down to key animation, pretty much everyone is incredibly new. Yuki Hino (Key Animation, ep 3) literally only has two other credits to their name, and they're both from last year. There's people who have only done Doraemon and Pokemon movies their entire, three-four year careers, people who were just inbetweeners on random big film projects, whatever. Again, some credits could be missing, but probably only a year or two's worth, and most people usually manage to get credited for something even in their first year.

And that's not to say none of those people have talent - clearly they do, since Progressive hardly looks bad and they were trusted with some fairly important work so early in their careers - but they aren't Gainax in their prime by a mile. Basically nobody is. More than that, Gainax's animators, even the young ones, had been through the worst of it and back out again. Anyone who managed to survive Evangelion's production had seen things no mortal was meant to see. Some of these people, especially the ones who have just escaped Doraemon hell, are probably trying to adjust to a TV production. Especially ones where they have a lot more responsibility than they might be used to. These are all things that no amount of money could, would, or is going to fix.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 11:12 on Jun 26, 2018

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Sharkopath posted:

You'll always find better representation from medium that's more auteur than when committee and capital are necessary, I have found.

i understand what youre trying to say here but this is always a lovely response to people expressing their frustration with that stuff, lol

'i wish this had more gay stuff'
'have you perhaps considered things that arent the form you want to experience the gay stuff in?'

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

last season had gungale and also aifriends started, id call that a win

it was definitely weird seeing people call last season 'the biggest anime season ever' tho

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Sharkopath posted:

Not gonna start a minority fight but good black art came from black artists bottom up, corporate structures only cave when they smell money in the water so the way to go about it is supporting artists first.

It's not a smokescreen sentiment to throw erstwhile allies under the bus but an expression of reality. If you want that stuff you gotta support the smaller artists first and that means comics.

Sharkopath posted:

Theres only so much we can do other side of ocean so keep sharing and buying the good doujis and comics and foster fandom and friendship.

Or violently overthrow the power structures and bend them to your will by redistributing the spoils from your aggressive raiding, but that's harder.

dude just said they wanted an anime where girls kiss goddamn. like none of this is really wrong, but also, i dont think they were actually trying to make any kind of statement or opening a channel for debate. sometimes people just wanna go 'i wish there was more of a thing, like this,' and no amount of 'here's REALITY' will change that desire, so its a useless sentiment tossed into the void for no reason

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

why do you think my problem with yurikuma is that its horny, lol

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

it just represents the nadir of ikuhara's storytelling. the characters are very hard to latch on to or relate to - side characters in utena with like 3, 4 episodes of focus manage more than the main characters of yurikuma, and it just doesn't feel like there's any humanity to its core. it's so caught up in its own borrowed and muddled mixed metaphors that it barely has time to establish a basic story, basic beats. my issue with yurikuma isnt that it has a male director (im a fan of utena and penguindrum alone, ignoring everything else) or that it has a male staff (this actually isnt true, ikuharas mentioned in interviews that the staff was pretty female and hed often consult with them)

its just that its a crappy story. it makes a less dramatic and meaningful revelation about sexuality and gender than 20 page cinderella girls doujins where syuko makes a side comment about drowning herself and gets jittery about boobs. yurikuma feels very up its own rear end in a lot of ways, and while there are some neat visual tricks in it and i didnt hate all the characters or some of the gags, it just felt like it was struggling for anything meaningful to do or be. morishima's random manga about 30 year old lesbians are more violently angry about the state of female sexuality in japan than yurikuma. heck, morishima's manga version of yurikuma is a more meaningful statement, than the anime version. if ikuhara's gender relates to my feelings on yurikuma at all, it's just that he gets all the credit for being the woke mastermind when morishima's the real auteur of the two, even taking into account their entire bodies of work, not just the two versions of yurikuma that exist. and again, i actually really like utena and am decently fond of penguindrum.

i made fun of yurikuma's horniness in the yurikuma thread, but A) that was like six years ago and I wasn't as good at expressing myself and B) nobody at all was interested in hearing a lesbian's opinions on that anime if I tried to express them sincerely, so I just shitposted about it. And while Morishima and Ikuhara obviously weren't self-conscious about the show's horniness, a lot of the people praising it clearly were, so it felt like something to make fun of them for.

Also, the mecha episode is the worst episode of flipflappers and I don't really have any deep insight to clue you in on to make your opinion of that episode turn around. There's some decent cuts and directorial beats in that episode, and if you wanted to stretch you could say it's horny because the entire episode is about the fulfillment of something you've longed for: yayaka finally gets to have an adventure with cocona and papika, giant robots blow up, etc. the fanservice kiiinda fits into that. realistically, it's just kind of a mediocre, filler-y episode with some shots where cocona's rear end is huge for no real reason. acting like nobody wants to 'call out' flipflappers is a little ridiculous though, people criticize the horny little roll-y robot and pretty much every review i've seen of the series specifically mentions that episode as bad.

also: i'm not here to tell you how to live your life, but i think its okay to hate people who are monsters. you dont have to forgive them, you dont have to say theyre a cool person. your dad's a piece of poo poo. present tense. if focusing on that doesn't make you happy, that's fine, but the idea you're promoting there is kind of actually super dangerous. there's this idea (especially among more marginalized groups like women, gay people, trans people, racial minorities, etc) that you have to forgive people that have transgressed against you, that have done harm to you, that not doing so makes you a bad person. and that's a terrible thing because you don't have to. sometimes, anger against the people that hurt you is all you have. being denied even that blocks off the one kind of catharsis you have.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Jun 26, 2018

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Srice posted:

100 sincere effortposts leaping out of a plane.

winner winner! im gay!

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I think there's a difference between understanding why someone did terrible things, and forgiving them for those actions, if that makes sense. More than that, there's even a difference between 'holding on to hate' and forgiving someone. You can let go of hatred for someone and move past it without ever actually forgiving them.

however, im not a child psychologist, I've never had a kid, and while I've experienced a lot of hosed up poo poo in my life, including from my parents, I was fortunate enough that physical abuse wasn't one of them. At least not from a parent. So I'm not really qualified to get into any of that. just, the whole cult of forgiveness can make it really easy to twist it into 'im a bad person for being mad at my abuser'

I was not expecting to get into this in the thread named after chio-chan.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i cant really blame someone for being curious about backstreet girls and checking it out, but also, lol

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

pancake reference

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

DisDisDis posted:

tfw Morishima wanted to do a yaoikuma side chapter but it didn't get the green light

thats the real oppression

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

DisDisDis posted:

i can't tell how genuine this post is cuz it's drunk and I'm 2:58 am but there's like 3... 4? manga i know where lesbians and gay dudes exist at the same time without combusting and i treasure them all for various reasons and idk i woulda liked it cuz i like all her other stuff
i like the episode of Mnemosyne where rin and her secretary get drunk and gently caress and then rin goes to hang out with some dudes at a crossdressing bar, but unfortunately its in mnemosyne

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

DisDisDis posted:

i don't remember this so i guess now i have to. . . finish mnemosyne

was it before or after it timeskipped to the cyberpunk future

everything in the future absolutely sucks except the part where the secretary wanders onscreen puts her finger to her lips, and tries to figure out who has had sex with who to lead them to this conclusion, including pointing at the various characters in the scene, and then the show ends

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

DisDisDis posted:

A 6 ep ova about a lesbian couple that canonically fucks and runs a detective agency and iirc owns a dog that has a great metal OP and it's a new genre every episode and there's weird apocryphal angel poo poo seems like a pretty slam dunk anime concept that would be hard to gently caress up but i guess they did smh
kara no kyoukai has a weird bi agender person and their sugar mommy running a detective agency and getting into knife fights so at least it has that going for it, though kokutou is kind of boring and idk what the deal is with lio

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

DisDisDis posted:

that sounds epic and I already thought shiki looked cool in fgo and stuff. are the films or the manga better? or is it a vn or go home situation?

it's not based on a vn, but novels. nasu wrote the novels while he was still in high school and the films have a lot of editing and changes, some nasu pitched and some ufotable pitched to him, to make it less 'i wrote this in high school.' so the movies are pretty much the definitive version. I think the manga mostly follows the movies and theres some great art in the manga (its by a touken ranbu doujin artist that blatantly wants Shiki to kabedon them, which I am extremely here for), but I'm not sure it's fully scanlated.

Actually it might still be running.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

the kara no kyoukai movies are definitely worth watching despite spending a fair amount of time exploring the recesses of their own butthole.

imo, navel gazing is badass and good

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

chumbler posted:

That is understandable. Though I thought Shiki wore a robe all the time. That's at least most of what I've ever seen.

yeah thats a new outfit for the manga, they sometimes wear other clothes but 90% of the time its jacket over kimono

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Justin_Brett posted:

I have no idea what it's like but the fact an RPGmaker game can get an anime in 2018 is still amazing.

It isnt even the first rpgmaker thing to get anime and stuff. Ao oni is an rpgmaker game and it had an anime, novels, and a live-action film.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

fairly self explanatory i think

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The MMO Junkie manga is ending due to the author's health.

The stress of the most famous advertisement for her manga being the work of Naziman probably didn't help her health issues, lol. Note that this isn't an indefinite hiatus like the series was on since like 2015, but rather 'this is over, forever.' She could relaunch it at a later date as MMO Junkie beyond or whatever, but I feel like if she made this call that'd be pretty unlikely for her to do.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Elephant Parade posted:

nazis really do ruin everything :argh:
eh, she had health issues long before that. the manga's been on and off hiatus since 2015.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

lol yea

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I wouldnt really call it melodrama when its fairly down to earth about it. Like its not really an exaggerated amount of streaa and frustration, and its a fairly realistic scenario.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

an actual dog posted:

Sports melodrama is good! I just think the first ep of Hanebado has so so much of it, and it's so intense, and there's so little context for anything that I don't know what purpose all that served.
I mean, how much context do you need for what is a fairly basic setup? And the tone is the context, the fact that things are so heavy tells you how these characters feel.

And, well, 'intense' - the entire storys incredibly intense, the mangas matches have the girls looking like theyre about to kill each other, full black panels with the characters drawn in white. Thats the story's tone. Its very tense. Its not like its some aberration or too heavy a tone for whats ultimately a goofy sports story, its super into the raw, visceral emotion, anger, and frustration that come with sports.

I wouldnt describe it as gritty or anything, but tense? Definitely.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

kater posted:

The only shows that got sirens were attack on Titan and flcl? Dead season dead?

hanebado, harukana, and starlight revue all deserve sirens

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

you could read biscuit hammer, or not read biscuit hammer

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

schrodinger's copy of biscuit hammer

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I think even if it picks up after chapter 16, it's okay for someone to drop it before chapter 16.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

need i remind you out there that someone thought 'attack on titan' was a name that made sense

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Xelkelvos posted:

His attachments to men are platonic unless explicitly shown otherwise.
why

plenty of things in art are true without being explicitly shown to be true. thats literally the reason art exists. all art is implication, the things explicitly told serving to imply other things. either within the narrative itself, or about the real world, the viewer. why does this rule only apply when it comes to a dude cornholing another dude. heterosexuality isnt the default state of being.

and if your argument is going to be 'the creators/writers didn't intend it,' then, well, a lot of things in art arent intended by the artist, either, but still exist as a valid reading.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Sharkopath posted:

I whiffle waffle between reading diebuster as a friendship or a romance, because both were very good
nono wanted to mack on lal'c from the moment she saw her, the story is about those shallow feelings blossoming into a close friendship and eventually mutual love, imo

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

DisDisDis posted:

im too lazy to make funny screencaps rihght now cuz its 4am but i finish GGO and i liked it a lot
im glad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

does the presence of a stray magic baby ever get less weird?

the writers and animators of the show, hugtto precure, asked themselves this, and then the producer nervously tugged his collar, and then they staged a workers revolt to turn the show into being about two shitpost idiots playing guitar and having amazing comedic timing while they aggressively mock anyone who enforces strict gender roles, and also a real life baby does the next episode previews via babbling

• Locked thread