Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I will not watch anything FLCL again. I have no itch for it, therefore I shall not scratch it. I am ok with that.

The Norse thing sounded cool for a second... before realizing it was an Isekai Harem and probably not worth bothering with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

an actual dog posted:

Did I miss something about EoC? It's good but I burnt out in the second season because there wasn't much to get invested in, like it's very standard club stuff. I really liked the main relationship in Yuru
The Mt. Fuji arc prompted me to cry tears of joy. It's a genuinely cute/badass show.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Spiritus Nox posted:

How are people ITT feeling about Newly Cooly, anyway?
It felt very "Dude, you already watched the original; it's fine to let go". So I did.

Endorph posted:

budget.....

for real i know this gets said every single time someone talks about animation ever but its really worth knowing that flcl looked the way it did because of a once in a lifetime confluence of insanely talented animators in their primes, not because they put money into it. it helps temper expectations. well, flcl was also helped by being 6 episodes over the course of a year versus 12 episodes over the course of three months, but still.
This. It cannot be overstated just how important timing and scheduling is when it comes to a production coming together just right (imagine that old meme from The Emperor's New Groove here).

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Agronox posted:

The first step is to watch the original.
Basically.

Spiritus Nox posted:

What if I didn't watch the original
This isn't me negging on the new FLCL. It's just that the show felt very "Hey, remember that old show you just rewatched/watched for the first time a few months ago? Here's more comin' right up!" and I would just rather wait for the two new FLCL shows to be done than do the grind. Is that weird? I often give Netflix poo poo for not doing the simulcasting, especially since I seldom binge shows anymore (3 episodes per day already feels like too much for me), but I would just rather wait for it to be done and just watch it in one week or something. :shrug:

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

nielsm posted:

Yuru Camp is kinda circling around the whole Mt Fuji thing but never properly going all the way up.
Well, it's all about a comfy, easy-going vibe.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Eela6 posted:

I have taken this path. Food wars has been a legitimate inspiration to me! No one's taken off their clothes in ecstacy yet, but some people have gone back for thirds, so it seems like it's working ok.
Then you have to double your efforts! :colbert:

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

alcharagia posted:

i feel like a finger on a monkey's paw is closing. like i wished for 'can i just get like, some actual explicit girls loving girls' after amanchu ended spring on a really sour note, and the monkey's paw granted me an adaptation of happy sugar life. i don't even dislike happy sugar life. it's alright. but god drat, kick me while i'm down, why don't you

(looking like a season for me to basically skip on the whole except like, starlight revue. don't watch back street girls)
Happy Sugar Life is bad. Like, I know there may not be all that many dedicated shows to "girls lovin' girls", but HSL is bad. Also? Gross.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Space Flower posted:

that sounds amazing and is honestly not far off but is a bit of an overshot as there's no lovecraftian monstrosities (or ero). it's about working up from the broken conceptions of love between two kids growing up in an abusive/broken household. for reasons, it's very evocative for me.

pyo~n

Space Flower posted:

let's say saya no uta meets S2E4 of cinderella girls
That's an interesting point of view, but I still think you're kinda overselling Happy Sugar Life.

... eh, I'll give it a 2-ep test at least. I remember reading what was available of the manga in like 2 hours after somebody mentioned "Yandere Yuri" and it was... kinda lacking.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Give me anime or give me death (or more Yakuza manga, that's cool too), TYVM.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Yurikuma had a lot of problems; the one I still consider the main issue, though? Being 1 cour. It just never had a chance.
That was a sobering loving post. Thank you.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Agronox posted:

What if it was exotic poo poo?
It's still probably poo poo, though. And if I learned anything from Oda Nobunaga, poo poo can be deadly. :colbert:

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
e: nvm

Wark Say fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Jun 26, 2018

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Davincie posted:

stop this

K. Flaps posted:

The mod told me the next person to talk about their height will be banned.
I honestly thought this was the chat thread, my bad. :shobon:

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

The Colonel posted:

personally, i'm tall enough that i believe i have no use for dicks
Not even for gag-laden ones?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXxXk46UwPs

Furuichi misnomers aside, this Chio-chan adaptation sounds like it'd get old fast if it's a full length episode. Can any manga readers lay it into me that I'm wrong and a fool for thinking such things?

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Endorph posted:

pancake reference
Akechi can gently caress right off! :mad:

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Parallax posted:

which summer anime has big dick energy
Deffo: Gintama, Banana Fish
Maybe? Attack on Titan

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Darth Walrus posted:

The folks in Attack on Titan explicitly lose their dicks when they get big. I dunno, though, might end up as an endgame superpower.
I'm sure there's a fanfic/douj where this takes place.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Retractable Titan Dongs. That's an image.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Thuryl posted:

I think buying into YKA beyond the first couple of episodes pretty much requires finding a way to read all the death as something other than literal. All the other things you can read it as are still gonna be pretty uncomfortable, but not quite as conversation-stopping as "the bears literally murder people". I feel like I got a lot out of YKA, but I also feel like I probably read it generously and filled in a lot of gaps with my own experiences, so it's not something I can give an unqualified recommendation for.

Anyway, to get back to the current season, there are things I enjoy about Happy Sugar Life but it might be a stretch to call them healthy or positive. I tend to like stories about people pursuing their obsessions to the point of self-destruction and that's the angle I'm coming at HSL from, more or less. In terms of what I'm personally getting out of it, it has less in common with Citrus and more with, I dunno, Breaking Bad.
Ah, gotcha. Some of us call it the "Keene Path of Life".

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Jackard posted:

Nothing about that screams 'vampire' to me
There are two "pale" girls dressed in gothloli-esque fashion. That's basically all the screaming you could ask for, unless one of them was Dr. Acula's daughter.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Expect My Mom posted:

they didnt even give them flesh fangs at the very least, gently caress this show

has someone with pointed canines, i demand good vampire representation
The prejudice about moepires has got to stob!

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Endorph posted:

kara no kyoukai has a weird bi agender person and their sugar mommy running a detective agency and getting into knife fights so at least it has that going for it, though kokutou is kind of boring and idk what the deal is with lio
The one thing that I like about Shiki's portrayal is that she's not portrayed as crazy because of her whole dual personality / agender (which is due to being raised that way) but because she's kinda like T. Sean Collins from World War Z in that she's a murderous psycho, even before she can see the death of all things.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Snooze Cruise posted:

kara no kyoukai: come for the agender killer with the cool outfit, stay for the touko aozaki explaining concepts you only half get but its cool anyway cause she is the coolest.
Who's also a ghetto cyborg...! Or something. She's cool!

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah, somebody posted this on the chat thread or on the Spring thread around U.S. mother's day. It was a pretty :stare: moment then, too.

He has a very peculiar baritone to his voice. I'm guessing he gets subbed by somebody relatively around the same age and vocal range like Kouki Uchiyama, Yuuma Uchida or someone like that.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Julias, just in case that you heed Plutonis' request: Overlord thread is here, and Baki thread is here. ;)

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Is Tonegawa getting streamed anywhere?

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Blhue posted:

its on CR
Sweet. Internet connection at work has been crap, so I guess I'll be watching it at home, instead.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Darth Walrus posted:

I like how they went for an even more homoerotic series title this time around. Also, Max looks like she could be pretty badass.
Also voiced by best girl Dorothy's VA. :allears:

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

dogsicle posted:

i question the homoeroticism of making GBS threads in a toilet tank
This made me chortle hard. :cawg:

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Well, there are plenty of wars that could serve as a backdrop and it's not like gang culture has completely gone away.

:stonklol:

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Waffleman_ posted:

A live-action Gundam project between Sunrise and Legendary was just announced at AX.
But who's gonna be Amuro?

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Xelkelvos posted:

I made a thread for Cells at Work!
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3862568

Give me some better suggestions for a thread title.
It's pretty good! Also, please point out how good Tomoaki Maeno is being at Kyo Kusanagi despite not having an Osaka accent.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

RME posted:

so Cell's at work is osmosis jones?
Less Osmosis Jones and more Ozzy & Drix (because as much as I love his old stand-up work, Chris Rock and Niles Crane will always come in second, Samurai Jack + Johnny Bravo bro'ing it up all the way, baby!)

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Pootybutt posted:

I've never read one, so that doesn't mean anything to me. I'm coming in to this show blind.
Think Inio Asano or Natsume Ono, but more shounen-esque.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

There Bias Two posted:

What's the deal with Lucifer and the Biscuit Hammer? I'm not familiar with it.
It's a pretty cool comic, and if you have a couple of hours and a Crunchyroll subscription, the manga is there in all its glory. Read it, enjoy yourself, cry a little, smile like a goof and enjoy rolling with the punches. :)

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Of course, if you want to feel vindicated about what a bunch of fuddy-duddies "those fellas from ADTRW" are, you can always pretend we called you a big stupid doo-doo head with no taste and be done with it.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

AnacondaHL posted:

Biscuit Hammer is a weird translation of the big wooden hammer used to pound rice into that delicious gooey mochi. Think 4kids replacing riceball with hamburgers type of translation.

LBH is the weird localization of the Japanese title "Hoshi no Samidare" or "Samidare of the Stars" so it's all charmingly arbitrary anyways.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Need I remind you that there are some peeps out there who decided to choose The Eotena Onslaught to translate infamous manga/anime/money-making-machine Shingeki no Kyojin / Attack on Titan?

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Endorph posted:

need i remind you out there that someone thought 'attack on titan' was a name that made sense
"Mangaka assistants/editors, dude".

I mean, I swear I read somewhere that it was one of his editors that decided to give Durarara!! its title and Ryohgo was like "Wait, what? Uh... well, ok". :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

The Colonel posted:

unfortunate that this couldn't serve as hideki kamiya's professional voice acting debut
Alas, he'd probably redirect us to ask our mothers. And I'm not ready for the answer under those circumstances. :ohdear:

• Locked thread