Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

yoko kanno got invited to the academy, the people who vote on the oscars

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

there's never been a better time to watch anime

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

DisDisDis posted:

Waiting for the first shortie brave enough to say they have a big dick to compensate

which summer anime has big dick energy

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

guess which popular manga/anime this is an adaptation of

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzMEV1UOtAE

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

if i had to pinpoint a problem with the first episode it's one of perspective: you open with a scene that's highly subjective focused on nagisa, but then it drops that and jumps around introducing characters and setting up relationships in a way that's confusing. the scene where ayano hits the errant tennis ball is a good example; there are a lot of characters and potential storylines present and it's not as skillfully executed as it could be. it's ok, it's fine, i still liked the episode, in retrospect it feels like it could've been better

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

its a build divers live action movie

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

there's like a 20% it even comes out anyway

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

chio-chan sucks, read the manga instead

another funny, punchy manga stretched out to such a crawl that nothing is funny about it anymore

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

harukana receive was alright but it looks like they got makeup on their eyeballs

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Z1HU4aalLU

gridman is going to be so disappointing and i don't know why they even bothered

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

Davincie posted:

abolish the concept of sirens

buncha cops itt

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

all the visual design in cells is really nice and varied while feeling cohesive

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

Wark Say posted:

Gainax hates their MC's almost as much as William Faulkner. They're also all probably as big fuckups as the Bundrens.

this is extremely untrue

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

i really hate the idea that a creator hates their characters because the characters undergo suffering, when suffering is a common experience of humanity

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

lupin is horny

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

zoids has the worst fake-cicada noise i've ever heard? it sounds like my tv is broken? and everyone has weird hair?

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

Sharkopath posted:

I think it's more about ikuharas inflated status as aueteur that is the prickly point.

He had influence but was not the sole originator and the work of a lot of others was just as important.

i don't see how ikuhara having very clear influences inflates his status as an auteur, he's one the few anime directors where you can cleanly draw the lines of auteurism

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

auteur gets inflated into meaning someone struck the ground and this sole act of power caused an anime to spring fully formed from the earth but in its more practical meaning i think it still has some use

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

Endorph posted:

i disagree on that second point, as for the first point that isnt what was said

and nobody's saying ikuhara isnt a talented director with a distinctive style, just that people should probably realize the things he was inspired by, existed long before him

no, i know that's what you were saying, but that did not seem like what sharkey was saying, but i would like to know why you disagree on the second point

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

nevermind i think i just misread what sharky was saying. its early ok

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

Endorph posted:

The word 'auteur' wasn't the part I was disagreeing with, but rather the part where he was one of the few. Ikuhara's quirks are the most obvious and style breaking outside of maybe Naoko Yamada or a few 90s mecha directors, but it's really easy to see anime directors in their work just because of the medium itself. If anything, most everyone involved in an anime's production qualifies as an 'auteur' by the more literal definition. People can notice individual scenes by their individual key animators and storyboarders, even somewhat casual fans have probably done that a couple of times. That'd be basically impossible in any other medium.

i agree here that animators (in anime especially) are often auteurs in their own sense, but i think that's why so few anime directors (or writers or producers) fit into the "auteur" mold in my mind.

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

for example, it feels difficult to call sound euphonium s2 an auteurist work, because the individual episode directors have a creative control that feels more distinctive than the overall work. whereas you can look at yamada's other works and there's a much clear delineation of style and voice that runs through them

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

auteur theory as a framework has been twisted into poo poo anyway and i'm in no way saying auteur works are better than non-

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

Endorph posted:

maybe we're just coming at this from different angles because nine times out of ten if im watching an anime without knowing who the director is, and the director is someone ive seen before, i can usually guess it, or at least have a shortlist. like last season i knew gun gale online was by the director of strawberry panic and episode 4 or flipflappers even before i looked it up, esp. the second episode of ggo where llenn and fuka talk in that diner was just very familiar to me in terms of how dialogue pacing was communicated visually, and he storyboarded the first couple of episodes of ggo himself in addition to being the director. So, iunno, I obviously wouldn't call the man who directed beloved action series Needless the greatest auteur the world has ever known, he doesn't exactly have recurring motifs or anything, but there are things about his work I like and I was able to recognize.

i'm thinking about auteur as it's thought in film theory, as the sole (or the most prevalent) voice on a collaborative project. so, not necessarily about recognizable or consistent style, but whether that style is used to convey particular ideas or motifs that reoccur throughout a creator's work. so, as far that guy, i don't know? being the director and storyboarder of episodes gives a certain power of authorial intent, but does that cover the whole series? does the familiar visualization of dialogue convey the same idea as in other series? i think those are the ideas more important to being an auteur. and that's why i think ascribing auteur to anime directors is difficult because they work in animation, which often conveys individual animator's style and personality, and because they often work in TV, which is often a further break-down of individual episode directors being a stronger voice than the overall director. that's why i would say there are so few, because there aren't many like ikuhara, or yamada, or anno, who's thematic interests and ideas of conveying them visually rise above other strong, distinct voices

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

i hope none of this comes off as condescending, because i'm also just trying to explain it to myself

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

and of course, teekyu is the greatest and most auteurist of works

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

Endorph posted:

I mean, I think that's a fundamental misunderstanding especially in Yamada's case. So much of Yamada's work comes from her collaborators, the other people she works with. She has a clear vision, but she works with other people to achieve it. She's a huge voice in promoting younger workers in Kyoani and giving them a chance to shine. Kensuke Ushio, the composer she worked with for a Silent Voice, was a huge part of Silent Voice, and he had an even bigger impact on Liz and the Blue Bird. Since Liz has long stretches with so little dialogue, just naturalistic sound and soft music, you could totally say Ushio's the star of the show in those scenes. Nishiya's character designs are a massive part of Liz, too - the wispy bodies, the soft colors. I don't think those strong voices are drowned out by Yamada, I think she elevates them and makes them part of the package. She's still the leader of the project, but you could say that about nearly every director.

drowning out the other voices isn't what i meant really, i think yamada is a good example because her collaborative nature has always been very important to her work, from the very beginning with k-on! so, i can't speak for liz and the blue bird because i haven't seen it, but regardless of her collaborators it seems that her thematic interests and ways of expressing those have remained the same, or have been expanded and built upon. i mean you could probably give some credit to her finding those and exploring them to her work with the writer on k-on and others that she worked under at kyoani, so, i dunno.

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

lol

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

this sounds pretty good actually

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

Sakurazuka posted:

Someone arrange a marriage for me

Remarriage Foam

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

Davincie posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4TnImjHwb7U

a good looking car in modern anime, rare stuff

this looks very DavidPro

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

Sharkopath posted:

let's get really into meditation.

way ahead of you

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

GorfZaplen posted:

That's god tier art you fool

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

DisDisDis posted:

There's definitely a dearth of anime about the good and gay boys being happy together but there are a million manga like that and I'm glad Banana Fish is an action adventure spanning a bunch of different cool subplots that was ripping on the US government and Iran Contra almost as it was happening instead of another one of those. Obviously no one has to like it just for being unique but it's a pretty rare thing. I definitely wouldn't describe it as 'tragic because pre 2000s gay' like Burrito implied, either in the bad way or the epic Ikeda Riyoko way.
Anyway if you see the germ of something you like but don't want all the murder and US senate pedophilia might I recommend Yoshida Akimi's other manga about probably bisexual delinquent teenagers.

on one hand this owns and i'm sad its only 11 chapters, on the other hand i actually finished reading a manga

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

more loving in anime, gay and straight

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

GorfZaplen posted:

Gainax is back baybee!!!!!!!!!!!

their name is Gaina

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

Davincie posted:

goblin slayer

i heard i shouldn’t watch it so i should probably watch it

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

welcome to the avalon fan club thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

DisDisDis posted:

this designs so insanely woke it might be enough to get me to watch a show about primarily dudes, and sports

this background looks insanely bad or the compositing is really off or something

• Locked thread