Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«8 »
  • Post
  • Reply
Wahad
May 19, 2011



Everything by design.



A Tale of Six Thieves

Crimmor, Amn

A young messenger makes his way through the bustling crowds of the Caravan Capital. His feet, though small, carry him with a swiftness of purpose, and his eyes, though they never linger, take in every passersby's features, though they aren't quite a match. It's not until he gets to a small alley, where a hooded figure rests in the shadows, that the messenger's expression brightens. "Letter for you, miss!" His voice is thick with a Calimshan accent, but he doesn't stick around long enough to answer any questions; as soon as Layla Tahan takes the letter, he darts back into the crowd.

Athkatla, Amn

We join our young messenger once more some time later, enjoying a swig of fine Arabellan dry in a tavern, as he and the rest of the crowd listen to the local performer; a young elven woman. She walks through the crowd, telling an epic tale of heroics and derring-do with a voice so pure it's nigh magical. The boy puts on a pair of ruby-colored glasses, making sure he has the right person for delivery; waiting for the thunderous applause to break out as the bard finishes her tale, he finishes his wine and steps forward boldly amidst a rain of coin. "Hullo, miss. Have a letter for you!" The envelope reads Yren Sivaath - a name the elven woman attempts to refute is hers, but the messenger is gone yet again.

Baldur's Gate

Later still, the boy treads carefully through the Gate's riverside slums; he occasionally dodges a town guard patrol, not quite wanting to elaborate why he's out so late at night lest they go through his possessions. He had been given explicit instructions not to let anybody do so, after all. While resting inside an alley, waiting for an opportune moment to pass, a gravelly voice creeps out of the shadows at him. "Ain't no place for a whelp like you to be out, boyo," a tough-looking dwarf grumbles. "Best scoot afore ya find yourself running afoul of a blade to cut that purse o' yours." Despite the thinly-veiled threat, the messenger doesn't shrink back, standing on his tiptoes to look behind the dwarf. "That's alright, sir. I found what I needed!" Before the dwarf can stop him, the boy's already slipped by, reaching into his pocket for the letter to be delivered to the dwarf's companion lurking further back; Silmgrok Stonefist.

Somewhere in the Sword Mountains

The falcon beat its wings with increasing pace against the buffeting wind. It wasn't made for trips like these; but it had a job to do, and so it would...but it was getting tired. The shallow cave it spots makes for sweet relief after the lengthy journey it had made; and for some much-needed shelter from the incoming rain. The bird waits there for a while, perched on a little rock out-cropping, confident enough in its safety to take a little nap.

It wakes up a little later to the crackling sound of a burning log. Stretching its wings out a little, it takes a look at the newcomer; a lanky, angry-looking half-orc. The sparrow's cry echoes through the cave as it glides down, coming closer with a few calls to get the half-orc's attention. If she would bother to look, she might see the bird is actually carrying a note around its leg. Unfurling it, she reads her name at the very top; Donata Longclaw.

A dark alley in Waterdeep

A good haul, this time. Mask would be pleased. The little thief scurries through the alley, to that shrine where he knows the Shadowlord has a presence. He gets on his knees, running through the little prayer he had been taught with a quick whisper as he offers up a part of his prize, in exchange for the blessing. The shrine is much like usual; trinkets, libations, and small piles of cash. But there is something else there, a small envelope branded with a name not his own; Thia Taletreader. The little thief's eyes go wide - this had never happened before - and he scurries back out into the crowd to find the one that had taught him his prayer.

The Golden Coin Tavern, Waterdeep

The barrel-shaped half-orc whistles a slow, off-key tune as he runs the cleaning cloth around the mug. It was a quiet day, today, with very few patrons; but that suited him just fine. Coin would flow as the evening would progress. It always did. When the young woman enters, looking haggard and tired, his expression brightens a little. "Ho there! Been a while. Same as usual, I imagine?" Not hearing anything to the contrary, he pours the woman her favorite drink. "By the way, letter came in for you. Not sure why they brought it here...but I imagine you'll want to read it all the same. Somewhere private." He slides over the drink with a knowing look. As the woman lifts the glass, she spots the parchment, with her name written on it in a fine script. Valeria Garland.

All six locations

The approached open their letters at their own convenience, and read the following:

quote:

If this letter has reached you, know that we are aware of your work, and have great admiration for your skills. To that end, we would like to hire your services for a job that could only be done by someone as proficient in your field as you. Rest assured that your reward will be most generous. Please make your way to Waterdeep as soon as you can. Below you will find instructions on where to find us.

In the Sea Ward, there is a tavern called the Singing Hag. Make your way there on the 8th of Kythorn; no sooner, no later. The proprietor is a callous man who has been told to expect you. Drinks are free for the day, though we would appreciate it if you exercise restraint in consumption.



The Singing Hag, Waterdeep

You each enter on your own time on the 8th of Kythorn. The Singing Hag was a little hard to find; few people could show you directions, and when you did find it, you were surprised to find it squeezed inbetween buildings, the doorway giving way to a small hall with few chairs and fewer tables. The place has no windows, the only natural light provided through your opening of the door; though there are various candles burning throughout the place, and old, rickety lanterns hang from the ceiling.



There are a few patrons there already, though they don't look up at your entry, concerned only with their food, drink, and the company of eachother. Some converse with eachother in calm, though hushed tones. Behind the bar, a large, bald man is cleaning a mug, though the glass of it is long dulled with age, making the movements seem simply for show. A thin cigar hangs from the corner of his mouth under a thick moustache, and his bushy brows furrow as he watches you come in. The innkeep looks at you, then to something behind the counter, then back to you. He nods, though his expression is far from hospitable. Putting down his cleaning rag, he points to a free table in the back.

"They covered your tab in advance," he grunts, "we got ale 'n we got mead. Also whiskey." Looking behind him, you see an array of bottles and casks; though his tour of the menu seems to ring ruefully true, as there are indeed only three varieties of drinks that you can spot, and none too fancy. "Cook's sick, so no grub." He offers no explanation of who 'they' are, and looking around you see no particular person that might have sent you this letter. Half of the patrons look barely able to write at all, and the other half is too drunk or otherwise intoxicated to wait patiently for six esteemable thieves that they ferreted out through unknown means. Seems you'll have to wait.

---
For your first post, please include your finalized sheet and your image. For other posts, please head all your posts with the following for ease of reference:

code:
[url= *link to first post in this thread goes here*][b]*name goes here*[/b][/url]
Include stats such as HP or hero points to keep track of as you like, but it's not necessary.

OOC Thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wol
Dec 15, 2012

See you in the
UNDERDARK




Yren plucks her lyre idly as she waits, sitting cross-legged on the furthest barstool from the door. She orders an ale but hasn't drunk any yet, settling her errant plucking into a sweet but simple melody as the first of what's to be her compatriots comes through the door. It's clear enough they're a higher calibre individual than the banality of the other patrons, and she finds herself wondering if they might be her contact before the barman gives them the same spiel he gave her. Not the contact, then. An associate. Another wandering scoundrel, lured to Waterdeep from who knows what corner of Toril by the mysterious message. She decides to strike up a conversation.

"Whence blows this soul before me? By thy receipt I take thee for a comrade, though in what deed I cannot say." Yren takes a slender hand from her lyre and proffers it, her curious eyes appraising the newcomer from head to foot. Despite having just arrived in Waterdeep, she's taken the time to change into a flowing seaweed-green robe and plentiful (but not particularly extravagant) jewelry. A bard's look is vital to their trade, after all, and with her curious niche it pays to go all out. Her offered hand is thus adorned with a couple modest rings, her arm bedecked with pretty but likewise inexpensive bangles. "I am called Yren." She gives the newcomer a winning smile.

quote:

Name: Yren Sivaath
Race: Triton
Age: 20
Size: Medium (5"2')
Class: Bard (3; Glamour)
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral

Background: Criminal
Role: Grifter
Languages: Common, Primordial

Hit Points: 24
Initiative: +2
AC: 14
Speed: 30 ft.; swim 30 ft.

Passive Perception: 11
Passive Investigation: 10
Passive Insight: 14

Attributes (Modifier/Saving Throw)
Strength: 9 (-1/-1)
Dexterity: 14 (+2/+4)
Constitution: 15 (+2/+2)
Intelligence: 8 (-1/-1)
Wisdom: 11 (+0/+0)
Charisma: 20 (+5/+7)

Skills (Proficiency Bolded)
Acrobatics +3
Animal Handling +1
Arcana +0
Athletics +0
Deception +7
History +0
Insight* +4
Intimidation +6
Investigation +0
Medicine +1
Nature +1
Perception +1
Performance +6
Persuasion* +9
Religion +0
Sleight of Hand* +6
Stealth +4
Survival +1

Armor Proficiency: Light armour
Weapon Proficiency: Simple weapons, hand crossbows, longbows, rapiers, shortswords
Tools: Conch; Flute; Lyre; Disguise kit; Playing cards; Thieves' tools

Features:
Ritual Casting
Emissary of the Sea: Communicate simple ideas with beasts that can breathe water. They can understand me, though I have no special ability to understand them.
Guardian of the Depths: Cold resistance. // Ignore any of the drawbacks caused by a deep, underwater environment.
Grifter: Advantage on Deception checks.
Criminal Contact: I have a reliable and trustworthy contact I can get messages to and from.
Bardic Inspiration: (5 / long rest) As a bonus action, a creature within 60 ft. that can hear me gains one Bardic Inspiration die (d6). Once within the next 10 minutes, it can add the die to an ability check, attack roll, or saving throw. It can wait until after the roll to decide to use it, but must decide before learning of success/failure.
Song of Rest: Perform music / oration during a short rest: if you or any friendly creatures who can hear you regain HP at the end of it, they gain +1d6 HP.
Mantle of Inspiration: As a bonus action, expend a Bardic Inspiration to grant myself a wondrous appearance. 5 creatures within 60 ft. that I can see and that can see me gain 5 temporary HP and can use their reaction to move up to their speed, ignoring opportunity attacks.
Enthralling Performance: (1 / rest) If I perform for 1 minute, choose up to 5 humanoids within 60 feet who watched or listened to all of it. Each must succeed on a Wisdom saving throw or be charmed by me. While charmed, it idolizes me, it speaks glowingly of me to anyone who talks to it, and it hinders anyone who opposes me, though it avoids violence unless it was already inclined to fight on my behalf. This effect ends on a target after 1 hour or if it takes any damage, I attack it, or it sees me attacking or damaging any of its allies. If it succeeds on the saving throw, it has no hint I tried to charm it.

Feats:
Diplomat: After 1 minute talking to someone who can understand what I say, I can make a Persuasion check contested by the creature’s Insight check. If I or my companions are fighting the creature, it automatically fails. If it succeeds, the target is charmed by me as long as it remains within 60 feet of me and for 1 minute thereafter.

Spell Save DC: 15
Spell Attack Modifier: 7

Cantrips: Minor Illusion, Vicious Mockery

Known/Prepared Spells: (Triton) Fog Cloud, Gust of Wind (1st) Disguise Self, Feather Fall, Sleep, Thunderwave (2nd) Hold Person, Suggestion
Spell Slots: (Triton) 1 (1st) 4 (2nd) 2

Equipment:
Studded leather armour
Rapier (1d8 piercing; finesse)
Dagger (1d4 piercing; finesse; light; thrown 20/60)
Hand crossbow (1d6 piercing; light; loading; range 30/120)
Conch
Flute
Lyre
Disguise kit
Thieves' tools

Ammunition (crossbow bolts; 20)
Backpack
Bedroll
Candle (5)
Case, crossbow bolt
Clothes, common (2)
Clothes, common (dark+hooded)
Clothes, costume (2)
Clothes, fine
Component pouch
Crowbar
Lantern, bullseye
Lantern, hooded
Oil (3)
Mess kit
Perfume
Ration day (5)
Sealing wax
Signet ring
Waterskin

Wol fucked around with this message at Jun 25, 2018 around 15:17

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010





Long fingernails scratch against the wooden door as it was pushed open, a tall figure that resembled an under-stuffed scarecrow stood in silhouette in the doorway before walking in using a long staff, the torchlight revealing the rough hair and the cloak of bear hide resting on her shoulders, seeming to bark her order at the barman as she passed rather than say it "Whiskey. Strong." before moving her eyes to the scaled woman who had taken the decision to address her.

"Longclaw." The Half-Orc replied bluntly, only staring at the outstretched arm and the smile with a confused glare as she sat down to wait. "You call me here? Part of they? Or We?"

quote:

Name: Donata Longclaw
Age: 31
Size: Medium (6'6")
Class: Druid (3, Moon Circle)
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
Background: Hermit: Former Exile.

Heist Role: Hitter

Hit Points: 30/30
AC: 16 (Armour +2, Shield +2, Dex +2)
Initiative:
Speed: 30ft
Vision: Dark 60ft

Spell Attack: +6
Spell Save: DC 14

Attributes (Modifier/Saving Throw)
Strength: 11 (+1/+1)
Dexterity: 14 (+2/+2)
Constitution: 18 (+4/+4)
Intelligence: 14 (+2/+4)
Wisdom: 18 (+4/+6)
Charisma: 8 (-1/-1)

Skills (Proficiency Bolded)
Acrobatics +2
Animal Handling +4
Arcana +2
Athletics 0
Deception -1
History +2
Insight +4
Intimidation +1
Investigation +2
Medicine +6
Nature +2
Perception +6
Performance -1
Persuasion -1
Religion +4
Sleight of Hand +2
Stealth +2
Survival +6

Armour proficiency: Light, Medium, Shields. All must be non-metalic
Weapon proficiency: clubs, daggers, darts, javelins, maces, quarterstaffs, scimitars, sickles, slings, spears
Tool proficiency: Herbalism Kit
Languages: Common, Orcish, Druidic

CLASS FEATURES

Druidic
You know Druidic, the secret language of druids. You can speak the language and use it to leave hidden messages. You and others who know this language automatically spot such a Message. Others spot the message's presence with a successful DC 15 Wisdom (Perception) check but can't decipher it without magic.

Spellcasting
You prepare the list of druid Spells that are available for you to cast, choosing from the druid spell list. When you do so, choose a number of druid Spells equal to your Wisdom modifier + your druid level (minimum of one spell). The Spells must be of a level for which you have spell slots.

Ritual Casting
You can cast a druid spell as a ritual if that spell has the ritual tag and you have the spell prepared.

Wild Shape
Starting at 2nd level, you can use your action to magically assume the shape of a beast that you have seen before. You can use this feature twice. You regain expended uses when you finish a short or long rest.
You can stay in a beast shape for a number of hours equal to half your druid level (rounded down). You then revert to your normal form unless you expend another use of this feature. You can revert to your normal form earlier by using a bonus action on your turn. You automatically revert if you fall unconscious, drop to 0 hit points, or die.
While you are transformed, the following rules apply:

Your game Statistics are replaced by the Statistics of the beast, but you retain your alignment, personality, and Intelligence, Wisdom, and Charisma scores. You also retain all of your skill and saving throw proficiencies, in addition to gaining those of the creature. If the creature has the same proficiency as you and the bonus in its stat block is higher than yours, use the creature's bonus instead of yours. If the creature has any legendary or lair actions, you can't use them.

When you transform, you assume the beast's hit points and Hit Dice. When you revert to your normal form, you return to the number of hit points you had before you transformed. However, if you revert as a result of dropping to 0 hit points, any excess damage carries over to your normal form. For example, if you take 10 damage in animal form and have only 1 hit point left, you revert and take 9 damage. As long as the excess damage doesn't reduce your normal form to 0 hit points, you aren't knocked unconscious.

You can't cast Spells, and your ability to speak or take any action that requires hands is limited to the capabilities of your beast form. Transforming doesn't break your concentration on a spell you've already cast, however, or prevent you from taking actions that are part of a spell, such as Call Lightning, that you've already cast.

You retain the benefit of any features from your class, race, or other source and can use them if the new form is physically capable of doing so. However, you can't use any of your Special senses, such as Darkvision, unless your new form also has that sense.

You choose whether your Equipment falls to the ground in your space, merges into your new form, or is worn by it. Worn Equipment functions as normal, but the DM decides whether it is practical for the new form to wear a piece of Equipment, based on the creature's shape and size. Your Equipment doesn't change size or shape to match the new form, and any Equipment that the new form can't wear must either fall to the ground or merge with it. Equipment that merges with the form has no effect until you leave the form.

DRUIDIC CIRCLE: MOON DRUID

Combat Wild Shape
Can Wildshape as a bonus action
While transformed, may use a spell slot to restore 1d8 per slot level HP to the wildshape as a bonus action.

Circle Forms
From 2nd level: Can Wildshape into any beast up to CR 1 instead of CR1/4

Restless Endurance
When you are reduced to 0 hit points but not killed outright, you can drop to 1 hit point instead. You can’t use this feature again until you finish a long rest.

Savage Attacks:

When you score a critical hit with a melee weapon attack, you can roll one of the weapon’s damage dice one additional time and add it to the extra damage of the critical hit.

Feat: War Caster
Advantage on Concentration checks
May perform Somatic components with weapons/shields
May use a spell as an attack of opportunity

Hitter Skills
As a bonus action, you can make an Insight check contested by the target’s Deception Check to figure out if one creature you can see has resistances or vulnerabilities. If you fail this roll, you cannot roll it again on the same individual until you finish a short rest. If you succeed this roll, you also get advantage on your next attack against them. Also, you have advantage on ability checks to break objects.

Hermit Feature: Discovery
-----

Cantrips Known
Druidcraft
Shillelagh

Spells
Lvl 1 (4/4)
Entangle
Healing Word
Create/Destroy Water
Goodberry
Ice Knife

Lvl 2 (2/2)
Moonbeam
Gust Of Wind

--

Equipment
Wooden Shield
Quarterstaff
Leather Armour Dropped
Hide Armour prchased
Explorer's Pack
Druidic Focus: Totem Necklace
Scroll Case Stuffed with notes, mostly casing and Noble profiles.
Winter Blanket
Common Clothes
Vial of Antitoxin purchased
The Stormfire Lance +1 Spear with special stuff
345gp

---
Background characteristics

Life Of Seclusion: I was exiled for a crime I did not commit
Personality Trait: I've spend so much time alone I rarely speak, preferring to gesture or grunt
Ideal: If you know yourself, there is nothing left to know
Bond: My Isolation gave me insight into a great evil only I can destroy
Flaw: I harbour dark & bloodthirsty thoughts that my isolation failed to quell

Manic_Misanthrope fucked around with this message at Apr 2, 2019 around 19:56

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

You're just lucky my jaw is broken!




Layla Tahan

Layla hides out of sight outside of the tavern, quietly casting Detect Magic on herself. She then quickly slinks into the tavern wearing a set blackened leather armor and a red hood and mask, both pulled down to reveal her bright red hair, cut to a medium length. She slides up to the bar and having a seat next to the Half-Orc and the Mermaid. She listens in on the initial part of the conversation before poking in, "I guess yall are here for the same reason I am, then. Prolly got a few more t' wait for before th' person givin th' orders comes around. Doubt he'd make himself seen until we all get here. Oh, and the name's Layla. Layla Tahan." She takes Yren’s hand and shakes it, before holding hers out to the half-orc. With that, she turns around and orders a wheat beer from the bartender.

Action: Cast Detect Magic before entering tavern. (Concentration, 10 minutes.)

quote:

Biographical Info
Name: Layla Tahan
Race: Half-Elf
Age: 19
Size: Medium
Class: Warlock (3; Hexblade “Nightblade”)
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral

Background: Urchin
Role: Hacker > Thief > Mastermind
Languages: Common, Elven, Dwarven

Hit Points: 27 (11+8+8)
Initiative: +1
AC: 16
Speed: 30 feet

Attributes (Modifier/Saving Throw):
18, 8, Ability Scores: 5#1d10+7 12 15 10 12 9
Strength: 8 (-1/-1)
Dexterity: 12 (+1/+1)
Constitution: 16 (+3/+3)
Intelligence: 13 (+1/+1)
Wisdom: 10 (+0/+2)
Charisma: 20 (+5/+7)

Racial Bonuses: +2 Charisma, +1 Intelligence, +1 Constitution

Passive Scores:
Passive Perception: 10
Passive Investigation: 13
Passive Insight: 10

Skills (Proficiency Bolded):
Acrobatics +1
Animal Handling +0
Arcana +3
Athletics -1
Deception +7
History +1
Insight +0
Intimidation +7
Investigation +3
Medicine +0
Nature +1
Perception +0
Performance +5
Persuasion +5
Religion +1
Sleight of Hand +3
Stealth +3
Survival +0

Skill Proficiency Sources:
Half-Elf: Investigation, Slight of Hand
Warlock: Arcana, Intimidation
Criminal: Deception, Stealth

Proficiencies:
Armor Proficiency: Light and Medium Armor, Shields
Weapon Proficiency: Simple and Martial Weapons
Tools: Thieves’ Tools, Dice Set

Features:
Half-Elf:
Darkvision: You can see in dim light within 60 feet of you as if it were bright light, and in darkness as if it were dim light. You can't discern color in darkness, only shades of gray.
Fey Ancestry: You have advantage on saving throws against being charmed, and magic can’t put you to sleep
Skill Versatility: Gain proficiency in two skills of my choice

Warlock:
Otherworldly Patron: Hexblade (Nightblade: a pitch black sword that speaks to me)
Hexblade’s Curse: As a bonus action, choose one creature you can see within 30 feet of you. The target is cursed for 1 minute. The curse ends early if the target dies, you die, or you are incapacitated. Until the curse ends, you gain the following benefits:
You gain a bonus to damage rolls against the cursed target. The bonus equals your proficiency bonus.
Any attack roll you make against the cursed target is a critical hit on a roll of 19 or 20
If the cursed target dies, you regain hit points equal to your warlock level + your Charisma modifier (minimum of 1 hit point).
You can’t use this feature again until you finish a short or long rest.
Hex Warrior:
You gain proficiency in medium armor, shields and martial weapons
Whenever you finish a long rest, you can touch one weapon that you are proficient with and that lacks the two-handed property. When you attack with that weapon, you can use your Charisma modifier, instead of Strength or Dexterity, for the attack and damage rolls. This benefit lasts until you finish a long rest. If you later gain the Pact of the Blade feature, the benefit extends to every pact weapon you conjure with that feature, no matter the weapon’s type.

Pact Magic: Spellcasting with Charisma

Pact Boon: Pact of the Blade
You can use your action to create a pact weapon in your empty hand. You can choose the form that this melee weapon takes each time you create it. You are proficient with it while you wield it. This weapon counts as magical for the purpose of overcoming resistance and immunity to nonmagical attacks and damage. Your pact weapon disappears if it is more than 5 feet away from you for 1 minute or more. It also disappears if you use this feature again, if you dismiss the weapon (no action required) or if you die. You can transform one magic weapon into your pact weapon by performing a special ritual while you hold that weapon. You perform the ritual over the course of 1 hour, which can be done over a short rest. You can then dismiss the weapon, shunting it into an extradimensional space, and it appears whenever you create your pact weapon afterwards. You cannot affect an artifact or sentient weapon in this way. The weapon ceases being your pact weapon if you die, if you perform the 1-hour ritual on a different weapon, or if you use a 1-hour ritual to break your bond to it. THe weapon appears at your feet if it is in the extradimensional space when the bond breaks.
Eldritch Invocations:
Eldritch Sight: You can cast Detect Magic at will, without expending a spell slot.
Improved Pact Weapon: You can use any weapon you summon with your Pact of the Blade feature as a spellcasting focus for your warlock spells. In addition, the weapon gains a +1 bonus to its attack and damage rolls, unless it is a magic weapon that already has a bonus to these rolls. Finally, the weapon you conjure can be a shortbow, longbow, light crossbow, or heavy crossbow.

Criminal:
Criminal Speciality: Burglar
Criminal contact: You have a reliable and trustworthy contact who acts as your liaison to a network of other criminals. You know how to get messages to and from your contact, even over great distances; specifically, you know the local messengers, corrupt caravan masters, and seedy sailors who can deliver messages for you.

Feats:
War Caster: You have advantage on Constitution saving throws that you make to maintain your concentration on a spell when you take damage. You can perform the somatic components of spells even when you have weapons or a shield in one or both hands. When a hostile creature’s movement provokes an opportunity attack from you, you can use your reaction to cast a spell at the creature, rather than making an opportunity attack.

Spellcasting:

Spell Save DC: 15
Spell Attack Modifier: +7

Spell slots: 2
Spell level: 2
Known spells: 4

Cantrips:
Eldritch Blast
Minor Illusion

Spells:
Invisibility
Hold Person
Hex
Charm Person

Equipment:
Warlock: Light crossbow, arcane focus, dungeoneer’s pack, leather armor (sold for 5gp), 3 daggers
Criminal: A crowbar, a set of dark common clothes including a hood, and a belt pouch containing 15gp
200gp Extra: Chain shirt (50gp), shield (10gp) 2 bags of caltrops (2gp), potion of healing (50gp), thieves’ tools (25gp)
Total GP left: 83
Small build note: On reaching level 4, I plan on taking the Investigator feat if I am chosen as a hacker. This will give me +1 int, and double my proficiency bonus for investigation checks, which will give a total modifier of +6

Look Around You fucked around with this message at Jun 25, 2018 around 20:38

GenuineRevelry
Aug 12, 2010

Decor Aficionado




Thia's dressed in a black, flowing cloak, nearly a silk sheet with a hole cut in the middle, that's frayed at the edges bound by cloth belt at her waist that holds the strange carved mask. It billows about with each step, writhing almost as if it's alive and desperately trying to escape her form. It serves to obfuscate her precautions, leather armor and a dagger tucked away just out of sight, just as much as it does her form in the night. She steps through the door and heads for the bar and an ambling pace, half-lidded eyes taking in the room and the patrons present as she slips into the seat opposite Layla, on the far side of Donata and Yren. She's quiet, at first, and knits her brow for just a moment as they begin to discuss so openly what they've been invited her to do.

"I wouldn't say many more." Her eyes glide over the gathered few, lingering just on Yren for a moment before passing over to the bartender. She cocks her head to the side and looks him up and done. Either satisfied or sure that she won't be, the wood elf adjusts in her seat and speaks to no one in particular. "I'm Thia Taletreader, though someone here already knew that." There's no edge to her voice, but the deadpan tone she tends to speak in gives a strange implied snark or derision to all the snippy little comments she's so keen on making.

quote:

Name: Thia Taletreader
Race: Elf (Wood Elf)
Age: 72
Size: Medium (5"4')
Class: Cleric (3; Ambition, "Mask")
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral

Background: Criminal
Role: Mastermind
Languages: Common, Elven

Hit Points: 21
Initiative: +5
AC: 16
Speed: 35 ft.

Passive Perception: 16
Passive Investigation: 10
Passive Insight: 16

Attributes (Modifier/Saving Throw)
Strength: 8 (-1/-1)
Dexterity: 20 (+5/+5)
Constitution: 13 (+1/+1)
Intelligence: 11 (+0/+0)
Wisdom: 18 (+4/+6)
Charisma: 16 (+3/+5)

Skills (Proficiency Bolded)
Acrobatics +5
Animal Handling +4
Arcana +0
Athletics -1
Deception +5
History +0
Insight +6
Intimidation +3
Investigation +0
Medicine +4
Nature +0
Perception +6
Performance +3
Persuasion +5
Religion +0
Sleight of Hand +5
Stealth +7
Survival +4

Armor Proficiency: Light armor, medium armor, shields
Weapon Proficiency: All simple weapons, longsword, shortsword, shortbow, and longbow
Tools: Thieves' Tools, Gaming Kit

Features:
Ability Score Increase: Your Dexterity score increases by 2. Your Wisdom score increases by 1.
Darkvision: You can see in dim light within 60 feet of you as if it were bright light, and in darkness as if it were dim light. You can't discern color in darkness, only shades of gray.
Keen Senses: You have proficiency in the Perception skill.
Fey Ancestry: You have advantage on saving throws against being charmed, and magic can't put you to sleep.
Trance: Elves don't need to sleep. Instead, they meditate deeply, remaining semiconscious, for 4 hours a day. After resting in this way, you gain the same benefit that a human does from 8 hours of sleep.
Elf Weapon Training: You have proficiency with the longsword, shortsword, shortbow, and longbow.
Fleet of Foot: Your base walking speed increases to 35 feet.
Mask of the Wild: You can attempt to hide even when you are only lightly obscured by foliage, heavy rain, falling snow, mist, and other natural phenomena.

Channel Divinity: Turn Undead (Cleric): As an action, each undead that can see or hear you within 30 feet of you must make a Wisdom saving throw. If the creature fails its saving throw, it is turned for 1 minute or until it takes any damage.

A turned creature must spend its turns trying to move as far away from you as it can, and it can't willingly move to a space within 30 feet of you. It also can't take reactions. For its action, it can use only the Dash action or try to escape from an effect that prevents it from moving. If there's nowhere to move, the creature can use the Dodge action.

Prepared Spells (Ambition): At 1st level, Bane and Disguise Self are always prepared. At 3rd level, Mirror Image and Ray of Enfeeblement are always prepared.

Warding Flare (Ambition): At 1st level, when you are attacked by a creature within 30 feet of you that you can see, you can use your reaction to impose disadvantage on the attack roll, causing light to flare before the attacker before it hits or misses. An attacker that can't be blinded is immune to this feature. You can use this feature a number of times equal to your Wisdom modifier (a minimum of once). You regain all expended uses when you finish a long rest.

Channel Divinity: Invoke Duplicity (Ambition): Starting at 2nd level,as an action, you create a perfect illusion of yourself that lasts for 1 minute, or until you lose your concentration (as if you were concentrating on a spell). The illusion appears in an unoccupied space that you can see within 30 feet of you. As a bonus action on your turn, you can move the illusion up to 30 feet to a space you can see, but it must remain within 120 feet of you.

For the duration, you can cast spells as though you were in the illusion's space, but you must use your own senses. Additionally, when both you and your illusion are within 5 feet of a creature that can see the illusion, you have advantage on attack rolls against that creature, given how distracting the illusion is to the target.

Criminal Contact (Criminal): You have a reliable and trustworthy contact who acts as your liaison to a network of other criminals. You know how to get messages to and from your contact, even over great distances; specifically, you know the local messengers, corrupt caravan masters, and seedy sailors who can deliver messages for you.

Feats:

Elven Accuracy: Increase your Dexterity, Intelligence, Wisdom, or Charisma score by 1, to a maximum of 20. Whenever you have advantage on an attack roll using Dexterity, Intelligence, Wisdom, or Charisma, you can reroll one of the dice once.

Spell Save DC: 14
Spell Attack Modifier: +6

Cantrips:
Spare the Dying
Toll the Dead
Thaumaturgy

Prepared Spells:

1st:
Bane
Command
Cure Wounds
Detect Magic
Disguise Self
Guiding Bolt

2nd:
Calm Emotions
Continual Flame
Hold Person
Mirror Image
Ray of Enfeeblement

Equipment:
a crowbar
a set of dark common clothes including a hood
a mace
leather armor
a dagger
explorer's pack
a shield
a holy symbol (wood carved mask)
Shortsword (10gp)
Longbow (50gp)
Thieve's Tools (25gp)
Playing card deck (5sp)
Quiver (1gp)
-Arrows, 20 (1gp)
Leather-bound book of questionable repute (25gp)
Mirror, steel (5gp)
Climbing Kit (25gp)
Ball bearings, 1000 (1gp)
Acid, vial (25gp)
46gp, 5sp

GenuineRevelry fucked around with this message at Jun 29, 2018 around 01:12

Tardzilla
Aug 31, 2006




Valeria Garland

The door to the tavern opens, and in walks in a tall, well-built women, dressed in a bright, lavish uniform that makes her stick out from the other patrons in the tavern that day. Valeria doesn't even try to hide her presence, she never had any reason to do so. She walks in, hands in her pockets, exuding confidence with every step she takes, and when the bartender speaks to her, she replies back to him, "Well, who am I to say no to a free drink? I'll gladly have some mead." And with that said, she strides over to the table where the others are.

"Hello," she greets them, with an easy smile on her face, "Mind if I join you all?" Valeria doesn't even wait for a response before she takes her seat. "Valeria Garland, but please, call me Val," her eyes move to look at each person sitting with her on the table, as if she was carefully appraising each of them, "I'm guessing each of you have received a letter calling you here?"

quote:

Name: Valeria Garland (But you can call me Val)
Race: Human (Variant)
Age: 30
Size: Medium (6"1')
Class: Fighter (3; Battle Master)
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral

Background: Mercenary Veteran
Role: Fixer
Languages: Common, Elvish

Hit Points: 31
Initiative: -1
AC: 18
Speed: 30 ft

Passive Perception: 12
Passive Investigation: 9
Passive Insight: 12

Attributes (Modifier/Saving Throw)
Strength: 18 (+4/+6)
Dexterity: 8 (-1/-1)
Constitution: 16 (+3/+5)
Intelligence: 9 (-1/-1)
Wisdom: 14 (+2/+2)
Charisma: 12 (+1/+1)

Skills
Acrobatics -1
Animal Handling +2
Arcana -1
Athletics + 6
Deception +1
History -1
Insight +6 (+2 from Feat)
Intimidation +1
Investigation -1
Medicine +4
Nature -1
Perception +4
Performance +1
Persuasion +3
Religion -1
Sleight of Hand -1
Stealth -1
Survival +1

Armor Proficiency: All armor, shields
Weapon Proficiency: All weapons
Tools: One type of gaming set, vehicles (land)

Features:
Fighting Style (Dueling): When you are wielding a melee weapon in one hand and no other weapons, you gain a +2 bonus to damage rolls with that weapon.
Second Wind: At first level, on your turn, you can use a bonus action to regain hit points equal to 1d10 + your fighter level. Once you use this feature, you must finish a short or long rest before you can use it again.
Action Surge: Starting at second level, on your turn, you can take one additional action on top of your regular action and a possible bonus action. Once you use this feature, you must finish a short or long rest before you can use it again. Starting at 17th level, you can use it twice before a rest, but only once on the same turn.
Maneuvers: You learn three special maneuvers. You can use only one maneuver per attack.
Superiority Dice: You start with four superiority dice, which are d8s, and you expend one whenever you use a maneuver. You regain them all when you finish a short or long rest.
Student of War: At 3rd level, you gain proficiency with one type of artisan's tool of your choice. (Carpentry Tools)

Maneuvers:
Commander's Strike: When you take the Attack action on your turn, you can forgo one of your attacks and use a bonus action to direct one of your companions to strike. When you do so, choose a friendly creature who can see or hear you and expend one superiority die. That creature can immediately use its reaction to make one weapon attack, adding the superiority die to the attack's damage roll.

Goading Attack: When you hit a creature with a weapon attack, you can expend one superiority die to attempt to goad the target into attacking you. You add the superiority die to the attack's damage roll, and the target must make a Wisdom saving throw. On a failed save, the target has a disadvantage on all attack rolls against targets other than you until the end of your next turn.

Riposte: When a creature misses you with a melee attack, you can use your reaction and expend one superiority die to make a melee attack against the creature. If you hit, you add the superiority die to the attack's damage roll.

Maneuver save DC: 14

Feats:
Lucky: You have inexplicable luck that seems to kick in at just the right moment. You have 3 luck points. Whenever you make an attack roll, an ability check, or a saving throw, you can spend one luck point to roll an additional d20. You can choose to spend one of your luck points after you roll the die, but before the outcome is determined. You choose which of the d20s is used for the attack roll, ability check, or saving throw. You can also spend one luck point when an attack roll is made against you. Roll a d20, and then choose whether the attack uses the attacker’s roll or yours. If more than one creature spends a luck point to influence the outcome of a roll, the points cancel each other out; no additional dice are rolled. You regain your expended luck points when you finish a long rest.

Empathetic: You possess keen insight into how other people think and feel. You gain the following benefits: Increase your Wisdom score by 1, to a maximum of 20. You gain proficiency in the Insight skill. If you are already proficient in the skill, you add double your proficiency bonus to checks you make with it. You can use your action to try to get uncanny insight about one humanoid you can see within 30 feet of you. Make a Wisdom (Insight) check contested by the target's Charisma (Deception) check. If your check succeeds, you have advantage on attack rolls and ability checks against the target until the end of your next turn.

Equipment:
Chain Mail
Battleaxe (1d8 Slashing)
Shield
Handaxes x2 (1d6)
Dungeoneer's pack
+ 200 gp

Defining Traits
Personality: I can stare down a hell hound without flinching.
Ideals: Live and Let Live. Ideals aren’t worth killing over or going to war for.
Bonds: I’ll never forget the crushing defeat my company suffered or the enemies who dealt it.
Flaw: I'm a sucker for a cute face.

Heraldic Sign: A phoenix in a ring of fire, an expression of an indomitable spirit.
Instructor: Military. Your trainer served with a group of soldiers and knows much about working as a team.
Signature Style: Effortless. You rarely perspire or display anything other than a stoic expression in battle.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!





Slim (Silmgrok Stonefist)
Character Sheet

Slim arrived the night before and found a spot he could just see the front door, not well but enough to see if any of his 7 foot tall cousins showed up.

It was dead quiet for a couple hours. Not common but not unheard of. Someone finally entered. Looked blue? Definitely not related. Then another, orcish type. Then three more in short time. Nobody else seemed to be coming...

Still, better safe than sorry. Come in quietly and check it out first.

Stealth: 1d20+9 29

Slim wasn't sure what he expected, but 5 women at a table in the back of an otherwise empty tavern wasn't it. Moving silently he quickly moved up to the table before coughing to make sure they were aware of his presence.

"Excuse me, ladies. I followed the directions exactly, but it appears I may have gotten this invite by mistake?"

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

You're just lucky my jaw is broken!



Layla Tahan

Layla continues scanning the tavern for signs of the person who called for them. She also continues looking for any magic at all in the area, or anything else suspicious. As the bugbear sits down, she turns to him with a start and replies, "I ain't think you got no letter by mistake. I'm guessin if you're movin that quiet, you fit in jus fine with the rest o' us. Even if you ain't a girl."

Wol
Dec 15, 2012

See you in the
UNDERDARK




While most of her new tablemates look like types she might expect to work with, a couple give her pause. First, the soldier, whose handsome dress and easy confidence do little to offset Yren's natural wariness of military types. While she tries to play it cool, smiling invitingly at Val as at all the rest, her body language tenses up a bit from the moment Val enters the room. The second odd fellow is the bugbear, a creature whose presence manages to take her by surprise despite his prodigious mass. The second surprise comes with his manner - by might alone she would've assumed to be a bit more self-assured. Yren welcomes him warmly all the same, gesturing to an empty chair at their table. "Layla speaks it true - you must be of our number. Marry, come sit, join our little jury-crew. But entreat you first the barman - thy tab's paid."

Yren runs her hand along her lyre-strings, producing a minor rising arpeggio. There's much to take in about her current situation. "What fortune waits our knavish gallery? What hand, what face behind our summons be?" The pluck of the lyre accompanies her musings. Her expression then turns sardonic, and she reaches for her drink. "If we're to wait, I'll have some ale in me." She sips lightly from her ere untouched glass, definitely taking it slow. She's far from at ease and not keen to play the rear end. The ale itself goes down pleasantly, though that's not saying much; she's still new enough to landfolk victuals that she hasn't developed much of a discerning palate yet.

Wol fucked around with this message at Jun 28, 2018 around 05:44

Wahad
May 19, 2011



Everything by design.


The barkeep comes round with a few tankards and glasses. The whiskey is, indeed, strong, bu much more can't be said of it. The ale - including the one Layla gets, with a grumpy look - is weak, and with a vaguely medicinal taste. The mead only has a hint of sweetness, and a sour aftertaste. But a drink's a drink, and you've all known poverty well enough to not look a gift horse in the mouth. Slim gets a foul look from the bartender once he finally notices the bugbear, which takes practically bumping into him on the way back to the bar. "Ya done sneakin'?" The bald man seems quite unintimidated by the presence of an actual bugbear in his tavern, looking as if he's simply dealing with a particularly difficult customer. "If'n ya want a drink, sit yer rear end down. Otherwise get the hell out."

I'll be using spoilers (or occasionally Discord DMs) to communicate personal information and leave it up to the players to decide what they choose to do with said information. I should like to request of everyone to respect the spoiler, or at the very least not act on the facts within if your curiosity gets the better of you.

Layla: There is a strong cloud of enchantment that hangs around the patrons. It smells vaguely of honey. The barkeep, however, seems to be unaffected. A different touch of enchantment, much weaker and with the smell of the sea, cloaks Yren, while you can spy a vague whiff of illusion with the smell of unburnt tobacco emanating from Thia. Other magics, much fainter, cling to Donata and Slim's forms, though you can't identify them..

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!





Slim (Silmgrok Stonefist)
Character Sheet

Slim pulls up a chair and sits down without a sound, not slowed at all by his large frame.

Alright, alright. Ale.

He looks over the ladies at the table, opens his mouth as if about to speak, then closes it and after a second tries again.

So... any of yous from around here?

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010




Donata Longclaw
Character sheet

Donata looks at Layla offering her hand with a stare just given to Yren, instead opting for a curt nod of the head to both the Half-Elf and the Triton as the rest of the group joined. Even a Bugbear who the Half-Orc sworn she hadn't heard, seen or smelt enter. This was clearly no average gang of thieves, although the sheer diversity could have told her that already. "Long ago. City Changes." she growled out, knocking the powerful spirit back with a brief shudder as the back of her throat boiled. "Letters all the same?" she asked, pulling out the unfolded note she had plucked off the leg of a bird.

GenuineRevelry
Aug 12, 2010

Decor Aficionado




"Whiskey, please." The momentary mirthless courtesy was outweighed by the fact Thia barely seemed to acknowledge the barkeep's existence. It was almost customary, polite, but thoughtless and devoid of meaning. Just a tad unsettling, all things considered. In fact, her eyes are resting on Slim, whose bumbling attempts at socializing have seemed to earn her attention or perhaps her ire. It was always a bit hard to tell.

"I wouldn't say from here." The rare moment of inflection, a strange little note of hesitance was far more telling than she might have cared for. "It's as good a home as any."

This reaches a hand through a nearly invisible fold in her makeshift cloak and plucks the letter from its safe little hideaway. She holds it up before the group between the index and middle fingers on her right hand, "Did they find you lot in hidden places? The little corners we carve out for ourselves away from prying eyes." She places the letter itself on the bar top an arm's reach away, free for anyone to take and examine.

"Did they find you where you didn't want to be found?"

GenuineRevelry fucked around with this message at Jun 29, 2018 around 01:12

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

You're just lucky my jaw is broken!



Layla Tahan

Upon sensing the enchantment on the other patrons, Layla decides not to drink any of her ale. Instead, she fidgets with the glass, twirling it around in her hands and sliding it back and forth along the table. She replies to Slim first, "No, I ain't ever left Amn bfore in my life. S' a bit different up here... laws seem more strict, and people seem ta follow em." She then turns towards Thia, nodding. "Yeah, was in an alley. Dunno how they found me. I'm wonderin how they even knew ta find me... must've heard 'bout me from someone at th' guild in Crimmor."

Layla leans into the party at the table, whispering quietly, "Be on your toes, somethin's up with th' people here. Some strong enchantments on em..."

Look Around You fucked around with this message at Jun 26, 2018 around 18:20

Tardzilla
Aug 31, 2006




Valeria Garland

Yren's discomfort is not lost on Val, but before she could even make some sort of comment about it, Slim's sudden appearance causes her to almost instinctively reach out for her weapon, but she quickly stops herself when the bugbear stats talking. How did someone so large, and so hairy, manage to sneak behind all 5 of them without a single sound?

Relaxing back on her seat now, she replies to his question, "I was born here, yes, but I spent most of my life outside the city walls." She takes a small sip of her mead. It's not the worst she's ever had, but it's not the best, either, but hey, it's free, so she can't complain too much. Turning to Thia now, she says, "No, they didn't find me in any hidden places, I'm sorry to say. I found this," she pulls out the letter from her front pocket, which she had folded up, "Waiting for me while I was grabbing a drink from another tavern not far from here."

Wol
Dec 15, 2012

See you in the
UNDERDARK




Yren decides to ignore the bugbear’s question, figuring he’ll be satisfied with the others’ answers. Thia’s question, on the other hand, she’s more interested in. “‘Twas not where, but in what countenance I thought I’d not be found. I was given my letter by a human lad, scant larger than me. In spite of my disguise, he gave it me with certainty.” She sips again from her watery ale. “Had I been summoned in day’s plain light, I may’ve left the letter to mulch. Methinks by intruding, our patron meant to impress. To show subtleness in their method and knowledge in their venue.” She fixes her gaze on Thia. It’s clear the elf doesn’t appreciate having her privacy invaded, and yet she answered the summons anyway. Yren can relate. “By our gath’ring, the trick must least have intrigued.”

Wol fucked around with this message at Jun 28, 2018 around 05:45

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!





Slim (Silmgrok Stonefist)
Character Sheet

"drat kid reached right into the shadows and put it in my pocket."

Slim tosses it on the table, still folded

"Well, fer myself it seems like drat near a lifetime since I been here. Was thinking I might never come back, but that letter, that kid... didn't seem wise to ignore it."

The sea witch ignoring his question seemed a pointed action, but he was satisfied she wasn't local. Doesn't mean he liked her doing it, though.

"So, Yren was it? Can ya even pronounce where ya from or do ya need to gargle some o' this ale first?"

Wol
Dec 15, 2012

See you in the
UNDERDARK




Not unused to deflecting questions about her past, Yren retorts with a smile, “The common name for it’s ‘the sea’. ‘Tis not too alien. Some of you may e’en have visited.”

Wol fucked around with this message at Jun 28, 2018 around 05:45

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

You're just lucky my jaw is broken!



Layla Tahan

Layla smiles wide, suspicions confirmed. "So you IS a mermaid then!"

Wahad
May 19, 2011



Everything by design.


The party converses a little more, those of you interested in another drink free to order so. Ten minutes pass, twenty even; but still no sign of your admirer. The patrons remain firmly concerned with their own business, and Yren's lazy picking at the lute actually makes the vague tension and suspicion a little easier to bear. It's Thia and Donata that first notice a door in the back opening with a little creak, and a dwarf in scale armor steps out. He adjusts his glasses a little as he looks around, chewing on his lip for a moment, then claps his hands together excitedly as he spots you.



"Ah, excellent! You've all made it! Wonderful, wonderful." He steps closer to the table, his tidily kept beard bouncing with his excited gait. All of you immediately notice this guy is rich. He has jewelry and other accroutements on his person that probably could fund a place like this for weeks, if not longer. "I am exceedingly glad you have all decided to respond to our invitation. It's never an easy thing, you see, approaching characters that are cut from your cloth. Wonderful, yes, quite. Now, I'm certain you have all had quite enough of master Starag's hospitality. Would you care to join us in a more private place?" He gestures through the door he came from, and those of you able to see past it can see a lightly shimmering veil of air, and beyond it a lavishly decorated room.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!





Slim (Silmgrok Stonefist)
Character Sheet

Slim stands up immediately, leaving his half finished ale. Time to get out of The public eye. The Stonefists have no love for dwarves, this isn't some overly elaborate scheme by his uncle. And there's clearly money to be made here.

As he gets to the door, he suddenly remembers this isn't a solo job. He stops and turns to the table, holding the door open.

"Uhhhhh... ladies first?"

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010




Donata Longclaw
Character sheet

Donata raises an eyebrow as the dwarf, laden with so much jewellery that he jingled, walks in as though he'd found the group at a respectable stand at the races and not in the back of a dingy tavern. He's like a fatter gnome.

Inisght: 1d20+4 11

Still, the excitement seemed genuine, and there was no reason to think that this was some extremely convoluted scheme to catch 6 people at once. Not yet. "Go in." She told the bug bear as she brushed past him, ducking through the doorway.

Wol
Dec 15, 2012

See you in the
UNDERDARK




Yren looks at Layla with a mix of amusement and, oddly, appreciation? She nods her affirmative and the conversation shifts to another topic.

When the dwarf eventually makes his presence known, Yren is all to pleased to finally move forward with the meeting. While she wouldn't mind whiling away the time with some members of this crew, even she's been starting to get a little impatient. She was ostensibly called here for a job, after all, and road expenses have left her pockets light. She hoists up her pack and makes for the door pretty much as soon as the dwarf beckons the group, though the much longer-legged Slim and Donata alreay have a head start on her. Perfectly willing to have a door held for her, Yren slips in behind Donata. "My thanks, Slim." She gives him a little wave as she goes. There's a lot she still wants to know about this whole setup, but she knows she's not going to get answers by waiting around.

Tardzilla
Aug 31, 2006





Val finishes off the last few droplets of her drink before she stands up. While she may have enjoyed spending a few more minutes getting to know them all a little better, there's work to be done now. Adopting a slightly more serious stance now, she makes for the door, curious at what job the rich-looking dwarf has for them. "Aren't you a gentleman?" She says to Slim, with a hint of amusement in her voice, "Thanks," she gives him a quick pat on his big shoulders before she walks in, ready to start whatever the job might be.

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

You're just lucky my jaw is broken!




The combination of not having seen too many Dwarves in person and not having interacted with too many rich people in person (other than stealing from them, of course) leaves Layla totally unsure of how to act around the bedazzled dwarf. She cautiously walks through the door, nodding and politely thanking Slim for holding it before waiting inside.

GenuineRevelry
Aug 12, 2010

Decor Aficionado




Thia sips at her whiskey as they wait, though in the end she's barely touched it. She has no real tolerance for hard liquor, though she manages an appreciation of the finer qualities of masterly distilled liquor this beverage surely lacked. She is perfectly content to wait for the others to pass through the door. Once Donata has managed her passage unharmed, Thia's gaze rests solely on the nervous bugbear holding the door. She waits seated at the table, finger running along the rim of her mostly full glass, until Valeria begins to step through the door. Even then Thia manages to make it just on Layla's heels. She looks Slim dead in the eyes as she passes through the door with the barest hint of a smirk on her lips.

GenuineRevelry fucked around with this message at Jun 29, 2018 around 01:11

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!






Slim slips through the door after Thia, looking back to make sure no one is survailing them.

Perception (Tavern): 1d20+5 16

Doing so, he also realizes he's half blocking the door for our new fancy dwarf friend, and awkwardly holds it open from the other side, leaving room for him to walk under Slim's lanky, hairy arm.

"Erm, after you, sir... dwarf."

Wahad
May 19, 2011



Everything by design.


"That's quite alright, mister Stonefist - or Slim, I believe it was. May I call you Slim? I must close the door behind you, anyways." The jolly dwarf gestures for you to move forward, and as the physical door falls shut, you also notice that a second door closes before all of you are gathered in the foyer. It is of clear craftsmanship, the floor a fine oaken wood covered in a nice rug that those of you with enough cultured upbringing place as being of a Calimshan style, though in contrast to your new dwarf friend, the other decorations are spartan at best; no expensive paintings, no antique furniture.

Slim: Before the doors close, you don't notice anybody watching you in particular, though the dwarf and the barkeep exchange a nod of understanding.

"Very good, very good. Follow me!" The dwarf proceeds you through a door into a large study of some sort, covered wall to wall with bookcases. In the middle, there is a giant table, covered in a map of Faerun with some pins in it, as well as various other loose sheaves and rolls of parchment. You also see, perhaps to your surprise, another dwarf. Similarly to your host, he is decked in all manner of jewellery, though he is clothed in a red robe instead of scale armor, and his expression is much more critical instead of hospitable.



He gives you a nod of recognition as you enter, but his manner is much more reserved, and he lets your first host get in the speech. "Now that we're safe from prying eyes and ears, I think we can get to the heart of the matter. You, I imagine, have already introduced yourselves to one another, and we, obviously, already know who you are. My name is Baern, and this is Morgran." Baern comes around to the other end of the table to stand beside his partner, and noticing them side by side, you can see similar features in their faces. "We require your assistance in a matter of misconduct; or rather, multiple matters towards a single goal, I should say. You are, obviously, chosen because of your skills in the areas of larceny and misappropriation - and we would never think of doing such a thing without having the blessing of the Shadowlord himself, certainly." The dwarf gives a gentle bow of respect towards Thia.

"The matter in question is the retrieval of roughly two dozen objects, scattered around Faerun. Some are in possession of private collectors, others are wards of kings, clergy or otherwise powerful entities. Your job is to infiltrate the various locations, grab the objects in question, and bring them to us, one by one. Time is not a problem here. Barring the lives of the persons involved that may give you windows as needed, we have patiently waited to put this plan together, and so we can patiently wait until it is complete. You may take as long as you wish for any given task. But we must insist that, once you complete one job, you will come find us, and bring us the desired object. This is to ensure we at least have part of what we want, in the case of...misfortune befalling you. You understand, certainly, that this job comes with dangers, and we must insure ourselves as best we can."

A ghostly-looking man comes in bearing a tray of finger foods - Cormyran olives and grapes, Calimshan spiced sausage and dates, different cheeses from the Dalelands, and thin slices of rye bread with cured fish. He goes round once for each of you, letting you take what you please, before setting it down on the table and leaving as quietly as he came. Baern looks very pleased, then continues. "Ah, of course, if you wish for anything more to drink, you need but say so. We should never wish to be associated with poor hospitality, not at all. Now, before we continue, have you any questions?"

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!





Character Sheet

Huh. It wasn't a trap after all. Instead this was straight out of one of Jassin's stories. This was how he was gonna make a name for himself. This was what Slim had been waiting for ever since he got out. He might not know how to talk good to the rest of the crew, but these dwarves weren't messing around. They must be at least as talented as he was. This is probably too good to be true, but that hinged on the unspoken part of the sales pitch they'd just been given.

Through a mouthful of spiced sausage and a hunk of cheese that was likely meant to be shared, Slim immediately puts forth the questions he assumes are on everyone's mind:

"What's it pay? Each or per gig? And how much upfront? 'N can I get some more o' these sausages to take with? They're really good."

Relentless fucked around with this message at Jun 30, 2018 around 01:49

Wol
Dec 15, 2012

See you in the
UNDERDARK




Feeling a bit peckish after not having had anything to eat at the table earlier, and ever curious about landfolk delicacies, Yren takes a sampling of each hors d'oeuvre. The fish on rye she takes a little begrudgingly. Her early curiosity about landfolk fish dishes had left her with a buffet of disappointments, and following ventures into that genre of cuisine have rarely yielded anything more than mediocre. As for the dwarves' attempt, Yren goes at it in small bites, considering the taste as she slowly chews. She's definitely had worse. It's at least recognizable (as herring), unlike many landfolk attempts at aquatic cookery she's been party to. The flavour's not nearly as fresh or as bold as the tritons make it, but to give credit where credit is due, Yren has to admit that curing does go a good way to making up for what landborne cooking inherently lacks. She wouldn't exactly recommend it, but given the dessicated piscine desolation she's been subjected to since coming ashore, she marks it as a resolute effort.

She loves the olives, though.

When Slim poses a few questions to their hosts, as artless as he may be, Yren finds herself agreeing. "Such questions crave us jointly." She has more to say, but prioritizes, nibbling at a piece of well-aged and fulsomely aromatic piece of cheese. "Anon. What'll be the measure of thy clienthood? Will we be in thy counsel from enter to egress, or will we set to our cunnings with an address and a tale of our fixèd prize?"

Wol fucked around with this message at Jun 29, 2018 around 07:32

Wahad
May 19, 2011



Everything by design.


Morgran speaks up for the first time. Where Baern's voice was jolly and perhaps reminded some of you of a doting old caretaker, Morgran's gravelly tone is all business. "Successful delivery will grant each of you 200 gold per object. Certain individual objects may be located in more dangerous dwellings, which will be compensated adequately in turn; if you prove yourself capable." He adjusts his glasses, giving each of you a critical eye. It seems he's not quite as convinced of your skills as Baern seems to be.

The other dwarf leans forward on the table, his expression turning a bit more coy. "Of course, being located where they are, I have no doubt there is plenty to take from the vaults and other safeholds that you may enter. You are free to take whatever you can carry. Including, Slim, these sausages...though I'm afraid you may not be able to take them from this dwelling. It is magical in nature, and anything inside is confined to the limits of the abode, disappearing upon egress. However, I can give you the information for a trader whom I know deals in similar imports from Calimshan, if you like them."

Morgran interjects with a stern finger. "Be warned, however. The retrieval of the objects should be your primary priority. Do not let your greed endanger the success of your tasks. Should you be caught in any way, or have the guards on your heels, we shall not aid you. You will see us only if you successfully return."

"Which brings us to your question, Miss Sivaath." Baern's pronunciation of the triton's name is as good as anything that might be expected. "The means of the burglary shall be left entirely to your devising. The reason we hired you lot is for your skills, and your thieves' eyes, which we unfortunately lack. Of course, we will give you whatever information we can regarding the locations and persons involved. However," he reaches into a pocket, retrieving a stone slightly smaller than your palm, "once you have successfully managed to retrieve the object in question, you can contact us through this sending stone, and we shall give you a location to meet us." He places the stone on the table, for whomever among you to take.

Wahad fucked around with this message at Jun 29, 2018 around 08:27

GenuineRevelry
Aug 12, 2010

Decor Aficionado




The moment the sending stone is placed on the table Thia's is already reaching out to take it. She scoops it up with a bit of a skeptical glance, first at the stone itself which she rolls around in the palm of her hand as if to feel every groove and curve, and then at Baern and Morgran themselves. "You gain blessings from the Lord of Shadows in spilt wine and loose coin. Ill gotten gains placed on his altar." She hefts the stone in her palm and lets her hand under it's weight once, twice, then three times. Weighing just as much the stone itself as the offer before them.

"You want more than his blessing. You want favor." It's a minor distinction to someone outside of worship and clergy, perhaps, but to Thia it means the world. "The wind at their backs and the Master of All Thieves at their side. How could your hired help fail you then?" She seems unamused. Not quite nonplussed but certainly still skeptical of the whole ordeal. "These objects are of great importance to you, or some endeavor of yours, and you've gone to great lengths to make sure we know just how far your reach extends."

She places the stone on the table again, "400 gold per object, each. Other factors will still be weighed and considered upon completion of any individual job."

Thia manages an awfully mediocre 10 on her Persuasion check.

GenuineRevelry fucked around with this message at Jun 29, 2018 around 08:47

Wahad
May 19, 2011



Everything by design.


Morgran lets out a grunt that vaguely sounds like he's impressed, leaning forward as he puts his hands on the table and meets Thia's gaze. "A fair bargain. However, you still must prove yourself. 200 each for the first job. It is a simple thing, that those of your supposed skill should be able to complete without too much difficulty. 200 each for the second job, which is more involved, and will require a greater task of your abilities. Should you complete both in a manner that is satisfactory, then we can talk about raising the coinage for the other tasks."

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010




Character sheet


Donata slowly chews on a piece of sausage, keeping her eyes on the second heavily jewelled dwarf, this one being a lot more serious than the other. "Any order to the items?" She asked, swallowing her own mouthful. "Said first one's easier, which one is first?"

Tardzilla
Aug 31, 2006





Val has been quietly listening as they talk, her entire demeanor shifting to a more professional one. She rubs her chin, as she considers her next few words carefully, "And is there anything we should be aware about these objects?" She asks, finally speaking up, "If we are to retrieve them for you, then I would think it's only fair that you tell us a little about them, don't you think so?"

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!





Character Sheet

Well, that pay is solid so start and may be getting better.

They MIGHT be lying about how magical this sausage is, though. Better quietly grab a few extras just in case...

Slight Of Hand: Stealing sausages: 2#1d20+7 11 14

Wahad
May 19, 2011



Everything by design.


"Certainly, certainly. These questions lead us nicely into the information we can give you regarding the first task." Baern gestures at the table in front of you, and the image of a small, dark wood box appears on the table. It is about six inches wide, a foot long, and maybe four inches high. The top is carved with an intricate knotwork pattern, and there is a small latch on the side made from a golden material.

"This is what you'll be recovering. The pattern may vary per specific box; but the first box should have this decoration and the measurements should be correct otherwise. It should weigh about a pound and a half. Simple, no?" Baern gives you all a broad smile, letting you study the image of the box as you wish. Morgran, in turn, projects another magical image; that of a young, human woman, with long, blonde hair. Her gentle features are set in an expression of ostensible kindness; though there is a certain haughtiness in her bright blue eyes.



"Meet Lady Geraldine Ursola Viscountess Hazelburn," Morgran starts, and the image makes a small curtsy towards the invited thieves. "She has some years ago become the sole heir of the Hazelburn family fortune, after the passing of her parents. The Hazelburn family is old money in Waterdeep, though their relevance has long since faded. Which the Viscountess finds absolutely abhorrent; being of noble blood, she thinks herself entitled to more than she is given, and spends more of her fortune than she can afford."

Pointing towards the map, Morgran draws your attention to one of the pins in the map, located a small distance outside Waterdeep. "The Hazelburn estate is located a few miles outside Waterdeep. The box should be located in the family safe, along with whatever other minor heirlooms the Viscountess has inherited. The grounds are likely patrolled by the house guards, and Hazelburn employs a handful of servants that could betray your presence." Looking back at the lot of you, Morgran frowns. "Note that discretion should be a priority; but if you are detected, the mansion is far enough out of the city that you may make an escape without alerting the entire City Guard. As far as we have managed to find out, she employs about a dozen guards, perhaps a bit more. That is about all we can tell you with certainty; other employees or security measures you will have to find out for yourself."

Baern cuts in again a moment after his partner is done. "To answer your question, Miss Longclaw; there is, in fact, an order to things, which we have determined both offers us the greatest chances of success in retrieving as many objects as possible before there is a serious chance of your failure, and a timely manner in doing so, by letting you take the nearest locations first." He smiles. "A lot of planning has gone into this, and we hope it will bear fruit through the means of your reputed skills."

If either of the dwarves notice Slim's pocketing of extra sausages, they don't seem to care. "Now, if that should be all, we shall leave you, and let you get to the devising of your plan. If you wish, this space will remain available to you for six more hours. There is food and drink available - just ask one of the servants - and a few bathrooms, if you wish to freshen up from your travels." Baern spreads his hands, awaiting any final questions, while Morgran starts to gather some of the parchments in a messenger bag.

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010




Character sheet

"Magic defenses?" Donata asked "Alarms, long talk tricks, spell seers?"

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

You're just lucky my jaw is broken!




Layla smiles at Donata. "If there's any, I can find em. They made it sound like they ain't know anything 'bout that stuff," she says as she looks up at the dwarves, "Though, if y'all do know anything, I ain't gonna mind no head start," she says with a smile. After allowing a moment for a response, she asks a few more questions, "So, what's in th' box? Is it valit...volotil... I mean is it dangerous? Like... is it finna blow up on us if we ain't careful? What happens if we open it?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GenuineRevelry
Aug 12, 2010

Decor Aficionado




"How about the layout of the grounds surrounding the estate?" Thia plucks a single grape from its place on the tray rolling it between her fingers for a moment before she deigns to eat it, "You must have some practical knowledge of the place."

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • Post
  • Reply
«8 »