Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wahad
May 19, 2011

There is no escape.
It takes you a few hours to get to the area where Donata leads you to shelter. The cave isn't large, but it is sizeable enough to provide all of you with shelter from the brisk night air, and you can set up a fire besides. When you do finally get there, it is nearing the end of the night; dawn has not yet arrived, but you can see a vague discoloration of the night sky creeping in. Whether you choose to share some drink amongst you or sleep immediately, the result is the same; when you wake up, it rounds near noon; the heat of the sun makes further sleeping unbearable.

As you go through your morning rituals (some finding them less adequate than others, given the lack of facilities), you come to the realization that your mission was a success. The object of your backers' desire has been acquired, and at a guess at least a thousand gold worth of valuables besides, if not more. Thia fishes the sending stone from her pocket, rolling it over in her fingers. "Shall we send the message of our success to our patrons, then? I, for one, have no desire to lurch around stolen goods for long; the sooner we have our goods, the better."

Everybody take an official long rest. You are about 3 hours away from Waterdeep.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

Character Sheet

"Let's get paid. Set up the meeting." Slim thinks for a moment. "Tell them to bring more cheese and sausage."

Without waiting for a response, he walks out of the cave to go check on the horses.

Wol
Dec 15, 2012

See you in the
UNDERDARK

Yren awakes only when the others start making noise. She's curled up in the back of the cave with the diamonds, somewhat groggy after a none too restful night. Being used to sleeping suspended in water, the cold, hard reality of the cave's stone floor has proven difficult to endure. She stays in the back of the cave as the others start milling about, snacking on her morning rations and dipping into her disguise kit to freshen up her face.

"Ay, I'll gladden to to leave this jagged bed", she replies to Thia, "to seal the christening of our success, and to see whither our next deed's to be done." Yren's gaze then turns to Layla. She regards the other woman with a mischievous twinkle in her eye. "I must admit that box's pricked my imagination. Does my bardic mind yearn alone to know what's in't? Surely thou art curious as well. I dare not tamper with't, but thy eldritch senses could disclose us harmlessly our prize."

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

"Sorry, Yren, my spell ain't let me see inside da box. I just know it smell like some rosewater and it got some enchantment magic on it. Wish I could see what's in it, but that's all I got. I'm hopin it ain't nothing that's gonna get us hunted down though," Layla replies.

Wahad
May 19, 2011

There is no escape.
Thia nods, and focuses for a moment on the sending stone. The face engraved in the rock glows softly with magic, and she talks to it. "Mission success. Let us know where to meet. Bring the gold." Her head turns as she presumably receives the response, though nobody hears anything. Eventually, the glow fades from the rock, and she puts it back in her pocket. "They said to head back to the Hag. Meeting is at dusk." She looks out of the cave to the sky ahead. "We might want to sell our other wares before that time, if we get back to Waterdeep."

Layla, meanwhile, might not be able to look into the box - but as she slept, the Nightblade whispered to her in her dreams, having noticed the magic on her, and she fishes the amulets and ring from her pocket. The amulets are amulets of Ceremony, which cast Ceremony once per rest. The ring is a ring of Unseen Servant, which summons an unseen servant at will, though you can only summon one at a time. The amulets will probably sell around for around 250 gold a piece, and the ring for 100.

Wahad
May 19, 2011

There is no escape.
Reaching Waterdeep is fairly easy. When you get to the city, there's no town criers hailing people about the dastardly robbery at the Hazelburn estate; so either the Viscountess hasn't heard yet or wants to keep it quiet. All the same, when you meet in the Hag around dusk, Baern is already waiting for you. He claps his hands together. "It is a great relief you were successful, my friends. Come, come!" He beckons you inside their magical hideaway once more. To Slim's delight, you are immediately offered with more appetizers by one of the ghostly servants. In the study where you first discussed the heist, Morgran is waiting, watching with a critical eye.

"Have you the object?" the grim dwarf asks, beckoning for you to produce the box. Layla eventually does, and Baern takes it with an eager gasp. He casts a spell on it while muttering under his breath, then produces a key - a small gold thing with more filigree than seems structurally sound. Walking over to Morgran, he inserts the key, and the box opens to the wide-eyed wonder of the two dwarves. Before any of you can come close to seeing what's inside, though, Morgran closes the box, and slides it away inside one of his robe's larger pockets.

"Well done, my friends, well done! It seems our faith in you was not misplaced." Baern tucks away the key, then pats his own pockets for a while, before reaching inside and producing six small pouches. He hands one to each of you, and you can see they contain 20 platinum pieces; your payment for the heist. The cheerful dwarf lingers with each of you for a moment, showing you a bright smile, like a proud father. "I am extremely pleased you have managed to retrieve our object, and with a modicum of discretion, as well! Now, I am certain you have more goods to sell, and perhaps things to buy, but shall we brief you on the next location first?"

Thia, who'd been strangely morose ever since you woke up, speaks up with a quiet voice. "A moment, if you will, master dwarf." Both dwarves turn to her with inquisitive glances as she steps forward. "It has come to my attention that my Lord needs me elsewhere. I cannot assist you on future endeavors." Baern starts to protest, but she holds up a hand. "It is not a matter of price. It is a command of the one I serve. I do not ask or expect you to understand. However," she spares a glance at the rest of you, now, with a small smile, "I am certain your quest will be in capable hands, even without me."

Morgran harrumphs. "If the Lord of Shadows will not give his blessing, we cannot ask you to stay. Luck be with you, Miss Taletreader." Barring any of you stopping her, Thia makes her exit without another word.

Baern seems a little out of sorts for a moment, but he gathers his wits about him with another clap of his hands. "Well! This does put a wrench in our plans, for a moment. Still, I expect we can find a mind suitably devious and cunning enough to join you in Miss Taletreader's stead. We shall need a little while to find one, however. I would ask all of you to make yourself at home, while we consult amongst ourselves. The manse shall stay up almost an entire day, so you are free to spend the night here, if you like. There are rooms prepared for each of you - with a saltwater bath spacious enough to accommodate you, Miss Sivaath."

Morgran takes out his tuning fork again. "You shall hear from us as soon as we have news. Until then." He hits it on the table, and just like before, the dwarves blink out of existence, leaving you to your own devices.

Westgate, some time after dusk

Living, as she does, among gambling rings and the criminal underworld, it is not surprising for Floriana Ricci to see a high roller. They always carry themselves in the same way; an air of self-importance, flaunting their stylish clothes, looking for sycophants and impressionable ladies to fawn over them as they display their wealth. It is surprising to see one who carries their wealth with such a blasé air, however, as the dwarf who just walked into the gambling house does. He seems downright cheerful, his ringed beard swinging to and fro, glancing at the various tables with what seems like nothing more than a passing interest like one might look over wares at the market.

Being the Ricci representative at this particular den tonight, she naturally asks one of her guys to check him out; but before she has any information, the dwarf just keeps walking, until the guards stop him from entering the door that leads up to her balcony, as they always do. The dwarf sighs, and turns to look straight at her. He takes out a small copper wire, and she hears a voice in her head but a moment later. "I have a proposition for you, miss Ricci. Might I come upstairs so we can talk without any eavesdroppers?"

Melchiresa
Jun 21, 2006

Nice guy.
Tries hard.
Loves hot dogs The Game.
Floriana clenches her jaw. Her first instinct was to stand up and sic some of her muscle on this hotshot who thought he owned the place, but she got the feeling it would be better to keep her cool. Scaring off the loyal customers would do more harm than good. After a tense pause, she gets the attention of her guards and motions to have them let the dwarf through. To the muscle near her seat, she whispers "the guy wants to talk business one on one, fine...but if he does anything sketchy, you throw his rear end over this balcony. I don't give a poo poo who he lands on, got it?"

Her bodyguards step aside, through not totally out of view. Upon the dwarf's arrival, she crosses her legs in her seat and taps her fingertips together in a steeple. "Cut to the chase, what's this proposition?"

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

Character Sheet

Slim gives Thia a little wave as she leaves before turning his attention back to the food. He learned from last time, and after devouring a plate of the spicy sausages, takes time to sample a little of everything.

Several full plates later he leans back in his seat. Glancing over at the rolled up painting in the corner, the realization he doesn't have the contacts to fence such a piece in Waterdeep. Well, he knows a guy. Or did. But he wants to put off his family reunion as long as possible, and if Snarltooth is still around, he's still on the payroll.

Yren seems like she travels in the right circles to find a buyer... but not the right circles to keep it quiet. That's why art is so expensive to fence. A gold coin could be anyone's.

Donata and Layla obviously aren't going to be much help, so he offers to refill Val's glass.

"So, uhhhhh. Val, now that this job is done, do you wanna, I mean do you think that you and I could, uhh find someplace quiet that would, uh, move that painting? Without taking an arm and a leg?"

Tardzilla
Aug 31, 2006

Val looks at Slim while he's refilling her glass, her lips curling up into a small smile, "I'm flattered you want to be along with me, Slim, but I'm afraid you aren't my type," she says, teasing the bugbear slightly. "But yes, I'll help you with the painting. It shouldn't be too much of an issue," especially if she can get Styx to help them out, "And don't worry, it shouldn't cost anyone their arms or legs to do it. I can introduce you to someone who can help us move it if you so wish."

Wahad
May 19, 2011

There is no escape.
Waterdeep

Slim and Val finish their drinks and take their prize on the road. When they find Styx in the Golden Coin, his reaction is less than pleasant - his eyes narrow and his lips purse, but as Val explains, he shrugs. "Art? Ehh. Only one I know what does art is an old guy near Whim Street. Fentyn. Runs a book store as a front, Fentyn's Folios. Go around back, knock twice, mention you come bearing gifts from faraway lands. He's a stodgy cheapskate, though. Good luck getting your money's worth." Just before they leave, the half-orc holds Val back for a moment. "Working with a Stonefist?" he hisses, clearly worried, "I hope you know what you're doing, Val. That's a lot more trouble than you're bargaining for."

Making their way through Waterdeep with a valuable piece of art, at night, isn't the easiest thing in the world. But Slim knows the streets well enough, even if it's been a while since he prowled them. A turn here, a slight detour there; when they reach Fentyn's Folios, it comes up to near midnight. There's still candlelight from within the small building, however. You knock, and a small window opens up in the door. Suspicious grey eyes peer out at you. At your giving the password, there's an annoyed grunt, and you hear what sounds like six different locks unlatch before the door opens.

You see an aging human, dressed plainly, with a receding hairline that nonetheless precedes wavy locks tied back into a knot. "Thought I told you Stonefists I don't do business with uncivilized thugs." Looking down, you can see he's got a hand crossbow aimed directly at your gut. "If you came to persuade me otherwise, gently caress right off. Pretty face ain't helping, either." The crossbow is pretty firmly aimed at Stonefist, but the man you presume to be Fentyn is keeping a critical eye on Val all the same.

Westgate

The dwarf bows when he finally makes it up to stand face to face with Floriana. "Ah, an apology is in order first, I believe; I know members of your family are not in favor of surprises, but unfortunately, the matter in which I must request your aid has left me little time to contact you through conventional methods." Clapping his hands together, the dwarf gives her a big smile, seemingly unbothered by Floriana's prickly attitude. "You may call me Baern, miss Ricci. I am in need of a person with skills not unlike yourself to aid a few other employees of mine in a matter of the acquisition of various objects. Just recently, one such employee has made it clear that they cannot continue with the task at hand; and as such, I need someone with... a will more steadfast than that. A will not unlike your own. I am an admirer of your skills, miss Ricci, and I believe you are expertly suited to the task at hand. It will, however, pull you away from the family business for a while - but rest assured that the compensation will be more than worth it."

Baern's cheerful, breezy attitude vanishes for a moment, as he adjusts his glasses. "Should you choose to accept these tasks, and complete them to my satisfaction, I have no doubt the total sum will number in the thousands," a beat passes as he watches Floriana's reaction, "of platinum." Another moment of silence, as he lets that number sink in. "These tasks will not be easy. There is a certain danger, even without the consideration of getting caught. They will take an appropriately long time to complete. But were I not confident that you could not join the team which I have assembled and perform just as admirably as them, I would not be here. What say you?" He extends his hand, the bright smile returning.

Wahad fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Sep 4, 2018

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

Character Sheet

Slim starts to tense up, before gaining control of himself. He back up a step, slowly raises his hands, and then slowly reaches towards his coin purse, muttering to himself.

"stupidwaterdeepstupidstonefistsstupidstupidstupidfriggingstupidunclebroknarstupidfriggingwaterdeep"

After a second he pulls out a single platinum piece and sighs. He holds it out to the man, delicately between two claws.

"Fer yer trouble. Hear her out."

He immediately turns to Val.

"Val, ima wait down the block. Don't get lowballed too bad. We can try another town later."

Tardzilla
Aug 31, 2006

Val nods at Slim, and then turns her attention to the man holding the crossbow, "I don't know what you're thinking, but the Stonefists have nothing to do with this," she says, in an attempt to placate the hostile man, "We're here because we heard you've got an interest in art, and we thought you'd be interested in a painting we found. That's all. I promise," a beat, "...Of course, if you're really not interested in doing any business with us, then we could always go someplace else. I'm sure there are plenty of others out there who'd appreciate a valuable piece of art, and they wouldn't be pulling crossbows and making threats, either."

Rolled for Persuasion, and got a Natural 20!

Tardzilla fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Sep 4, 2018

Melchiresa
Jun 21, 2006

Nice guy.
Tries hard.
Loves hot dogs The Game.

Floriana is quiet and thoughtful as Baern speaks, but barely maintains her composure when he mentions the payoff. Platinum? Thousands of platinum? She pulls herself together and regains her composure.

"Well, Baern. You got serious spine to calm waltzing in here like you did. And you're right, we don't much like surprises. You sound like you might be the craziest sounding person to walk through the doors in a long time but..." she extends her hand and shakes his. "I believe we can do some good business together. This might be the kinda surprise I like."

Wahad
May 19, 2011

There is no escape.
Waterdeep

Fentyn's eyes widen at the sight of the platinum, and Slim walking away, then narrow again as Val makes her plea. There's a moment of tense silence. Then, the old man lowers the crossbow. "Keep your plat. Let's see that painting." With a grunt, he opens the door further, and lets you in. You enter in a small, cramped room. There's a large table taking up most of the space in the middle, featuring some clutter which he hurriedly takes away. A few shelves on the wall feature statuettes and other, finely detailed sculptures of jade, ivory and other precious materials. The greed in you knows that there's an easy 500 gold to swipe from here, if not more, were you so inclined.

Gesturing for you to produce the painting, Fentyn takes out a small jeweler's eyepiece, cleans it for a moment, then studies the artpiece with a critical eye. Occasionally, you hear a 'tsk' of disappointment. Finally, after a minute or so, he puts away the eyepiece and looks at the two of you. "Well, it's not in the best state. Clearly you weren't planning to steal this, or your expertise lies elsewhere, or both. Still, the piece itself can be restored. I'll give you 600 gold for it."

Westgate

Baern shakes your hand with vigorous excitement. "Excellent! Thank you for your cooperation, miss Ricci. I shall give you the rest of the night to get your affairs in order. Meet me at 10 in the morning tomorrow, in front of this establishment, and we shall be off." With that, he shakes your hand one more time, then leaves with a bounce in his step unless you stop him.

Wol
Dec 15, 2012

See you in the
UNDERDARK

Yren is sad to see a Thia go. She'd thought of her new cohort, Thia might be the most like her, the most likely to become a friend. At the end of the day, though, there's little she can say to convince a god's adherent not to travel their prescribed path. She says her goodbyes and watches Thia disappear down the road.

Despite the melancholy hanging over her, she falls back into the rest of the group's continued planning. When Slim makes his clumsy proposal to Val, she can't help but giggle. Val's rebuke proves swift enough, though, that Yren opts not to pile on the poor bugbear. In truth, she's been keeping both an eye on and her distance from Val ever since the team met. It's true that Val has exceeded Yren's expectations so far. She was expecting someone more given to barking orders, less capable of discretion. Despite any pleasant surprises, though, her discomfort remains. She still carries herself like a soldier, perhaps despite herself. While there's a certain confidence there Yren can't help but make a positive note of, her overall mien still reminds her of more constrained times. She doesn't mind at all to see Val heading out, especially to make a quick buck on the group's behalf.

Once Val and Slim have left, Yren turns to Layla with a smile. "'Tis on us, then, to make gold of the jewels. I've the names of some discreet fellows. Shall we?" Regardless of Layla's answer, she gets up and starts gathering up the remaining items to be sold. Once she's all set to go, she gives one last over-the-shoulder remark before heading out. "You've the same invitation, Donata, if you wish't." She doubts she'll take it.

Wol fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Sep 7, 2018

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

"Sounds like a good plan ta me! Lets get goin before it's too late ta catch 'em!" Layla replies.

Along the way, Layla pauses, deep in thought. She opens her mouth, hesitating for a moment before finally asking Yren, "So, Yren. What's da ocean like? I ain't ever really been outside cities before dis job... I ain't ever seen much more than rivers before, let alone been in it."

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

Donata had remained quiet as ever, not even bothering with the token growls to let people know that she was still alive and watching but her scowl deepened when Thia walked away, bidding the group adieu while the Half-Orc watched. There were a lot of things the wild-woman of the thieves was starting to mislike about this situation, and the ease of Thia's departure was one of them. While Donata may not have been as acquainted with the criminal underworld due to her isolation, there were a few things she took as given for this scenario.

"Fine. No use for gold but coin easier to work." She said eventually, rising up and throwing the gems she had pocketed onto the pile Yren had made before following Layla and the bard out of the tavern. "Wait three days, ask Thia about seas. Would get knowledge faster than Yren explaining." the gruff anarchist yawned.

Tardzilla
Aug 31, 2006

Val is almost taken aback by the amount of money the man is offering. That... is a lot of money. Even when you divide it 5 ways with the rest of the group, it’s still a substantial amount. “Uh, yes!” She says, quickly regaining her composure, “600 gold sounds like a fair amount to me,” she glances over at Slim, “Wouldn’t you agree, Slim?”

Wahad
May 19, 2011

There is no escape.
Waterdeep, team Art

Fentyn furrows his brow, then takes out a heavy iron key, reaching under one of the desks to open a safe. "Let's see..." Humming to himself, the old man takes out a few pouches, giving them each a quick weigh to make sure they're good, then handing them over to Val and Slim. "600, as promised. Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to find a place for this beauty where I can restore it to its proper glory." He looks at you expectantly, but doesn't actually do anything until you're both out the door.

Waterdeep, team Gems

Yren leads the others - perhaps unsurprisingly - to the harbor. This late at night, there is little going on, but you can hear the occasional shanty and other noises of rowdy celebrations from sailors looking to drink away the day's difficulties. Beyond the smell of the sea, you can see various ships docked; Amnian barquentines, a caravel from Neverwinter, even a lorcha from Calimshan; some of them with their crew loading things aboard in anticipation for an early leave in the morning, some with simply one or two aboard, keeping watch for possible ne'er-do-wells or saboteurs.

A twist down an alley and a knock on a door leads the trio to a quick inspection through a hatch, then an invitation into a small room. "Welcome back, Lady of the Sea," says a ratty-looking fellow, about the size of a gnome, with a bald head, dark skin, and a potbelly, giving the trio a bow with an exaggerated flourish, "What precious things have you brought to Smoothfingers today?" Looking about the room, you see a veritable patchwork of drawers, boxes, jars and jugs around the walls; some are closed, but others you can see are filled with spices, inks, gems, and hunks of precious metals. The creature - who you presume to be Smoothfingers - wipes some junk off an end table, and gestures with his surprisingly dainty looking fingers for you to produce the things you wish to sell.

Smoothfingers takes his time, holding up each of the gems to the light of a nearby lantern, turning them about in his hands, then repeating the process. "Hmm. Yes, many precious things. Smoothfingers will give Lady of the Sea fifty for each blue and red one, hundred for each white one. The amulets are magical, yes, and Smoothfingers know wizard, always needs magical scraps. Two-fifty for each. Eleven hundred for all. Lady of the Sea take this?" He starts producing the gold from various , counting it out in view so you can see he is not cheating you.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

Character Sheet

Slim takes the bags, then tosses one to Val. He does some quick calculations in his head, then flashes a toothy grin at Fentyn.

"Uhhh... good luck with that?"

He quickly ushers Val out the door and closes it behind them.

"So, uh I'm not positive on the math, but given the discount art usually takes from guys like him... I think the Countess may have paid both our weight in gold for that painting. We should probably not talk about this again. Ever."

Tardzilla
Aug 31, 2006

"Considering how ready he was to shoot at us, I'd say we got a good deal out of that," says Val, weighing the hefty bag of gold in her hand, "Anyways, we should head back now, and start getting ready for the next job." She's still a little surprised that the whole heist went by so smoothly, but she's not complaining, but she gets the feeling that the other jobs won't be as simple.

Wol
Dec 15, 2012

See you in the
UNDERDARK

"An ill prophecy spake by an ill prophetess." Yren dismissively waves away Donata's musings. "Thia doth flourish, I'm sure of it." She continues on down the road, leading the others to the harbour. "You put to me a weighty question, Layla," Yren smiles over her shoulder at her companion. "How would you describe the air, the fields, the forests, the city streets? In so many breaths could I describe the ocean. 'Tis different to be on it than in it, and the depths, the shallows, the open vastness are little like each other. But to swim is far better than to walk. To walk is a rhythm of plodding thumps by which you heave yourself hence. To swim is a graceful dance, a lightness that carries thee whither thou wish and holds thee gently in thy repose." Yren playfully sashays her next few steps down the street in demonstration, drawing the eyes of passers-by. "I'd take thee swimming, but thou'd miss thy breath."

On the way to her client, a couple sailors recognize Yren, breaking from their drunken song to hail her with a whistle. She holds a finger up to Layla and Donata and glides off to briefly chat, taking a sip from one of their mugs and joining in the next couple verses of their shanty. After a literal last hurrah, she graciously excuses herself with a curtsey and is back to her companions. With little more delay, the three stand before their eccentric buyer. His appraisal complete, he makes his offer - one that sounds good to Yren. "'Tis a deal struck, Smoothfingers." She extends a dainty hand to seal the exchange.

Wahad
May 19, 2011

There is no escape.
Waterdeep, at the Docks

The fence eagerly shakes Yren's hand, then finishes counting his allotted amount of gold - in gold pieces that run the gamut in age and lustre - deposits it handily into a few sacks, then sets them on the table for you to pick up. The offered loot disappears almost instantly in the appropriate boxes and drawers with a jingling harmony of keys and locks. Smoothfingers clasps his hands together and gives the three of you a bow before you go out. "Always remember, Smoothfingers will buy precious things! All precious things! Maybe Ladies of the Sea and Sword and Tooth return soon, yes? With more precious things?"

The journey back to the Hag is rather uneventful, but when you enter the dwarves' mansion through the cabinet door, you find Slim and Val already enjoying a drink (and in Slim's case, more food), with their own sack of gold sagging on the table among the platters, goblets and bottles. You join your compatriots for a well-deserved celebration after a job well done, before eventually finding the rooms prepared for you and drifting off to a sound sleep.

Total cash: 1100 from loot plus 600 from painting equals 1700 undivided gold, while everybody already has 200 from job completion.

Westgate, the following morning

Floriana, her things packed, shows up a little earlier than the appointed time, whether to show up Baern or simply because she's punctual; but she finds the dwarf already waiting there, calmly perusing a small journal which he stows away quickly as he notices you. "Ah! All ready then, miss Ricci? And abundantly punctual, as well! Most excellent. Please, take my hand. We shall be off immediately." The elderly dwarf offers his hand as if to shake hers. When Floriana takes it, she feels a hard pull that forces her to blink.

Waterdeep, the Singing Hag

When Floriana opens her eyes, slightly disoriented, she finds herself inside a dimly lit tavern. "Take a moment to adjust, miss Ricci," Baern's voice comes softly, soothingly; he is still holding her hand. "Forgive the lack of warning, but I felt it necessary to get you to the rest of the team as quickly as possible, so you can be on your way." He waits a moment longer, making sure she's alright. "This way, if you please," he says, proceeding her through the cabinet door, and into a mansion as fine as her father's, but much more lacking in its decoration.

"If you wish for drink or food, you need only call a servant. We shall wait a moment for all the others to awake from slumber and prepare themselves. Please, when you are ready, join me in the study." He trundles off towards the room in question, and leaves you to your own devices for a moment.

Those that spent the night in the mansion awake on their own time, or perhaps have already done so by the time Baern returns. Through the ghostly servants walking back and forth through the halls, you are requested to join him in the study as soon as you are able. When everybody has finally gathered, he claps his hand together. "Good morning, everyone! Let us get some introductions out of the way first. This is Miss Floriana Ricci, out of Westgate. She shall be supplementing the team on the missions to come. Miss Ricci, these are your companions for the tasks at hand; I shall let them introduce themselves."

Giving you a moment to get acquainted, Baern produces a map of the Sword Coast, and summons another illusory image of the box, much like before. "For this next mission, you shall be heading to Neverwinter. There, in the River District, there is an old temple to Helm, the Vigilant. Though many see it only as a small building with few clerics on staff, which it presents as its public face, the truth is that under said temple, there are large catacombs which only very few people have laid eyes upon, much less entered. In these catacombs are not housed the faithful dead, but instead, there are a series of vaults, each holding magical items that have been deemed dangerous or unpredictable if used recklessly, and as such have been locked away."

"This is where the next box is located. But the problem is as follows; I know not which of the vaults holds it. There are between six and a dozen vaults; I know not exactly how many. You can be sure that unlike the last task, the magical defenses that help enshrine the artifacts within are numerous, and dangerous. Thus, you must first determine which vault to crack, do so safely, then get out, preferably without somehow also alerting the priests, which will then no doubt also rouse the city militia." Baern looks pensive. "We said the Hazelburn estate would be a test of your abilities; this was true, in the sense that we needed to see for ourselves if you were capable. Helm's Deep, as the catacombs are called, I think shall put all your skills to the test to a much greater degree." That infectiously optimistic smile returns. "I have faith, however, that you will succeed." He places the sending stone on the table. "As before, you may contact us through this when you succeed; we shall let you know where to meet. Have you any questions before you go?"

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

Fencing

"That sounds amazin, Yren. I'd love ta join ya swimmin sometime. Seein that sounds great!" she exclaims. "Hopefully we gets a job that takes us close ta somewhere ta swim!"

-

Layla smiles at the fence and nods. "Dat's da plan, sir. Hopefully we sees you again real soon." Along the way back, she listens for any criers (or even random citizens) talking about the Hazelburn estate.

The Singing Hag

Layla attempts to order another wheat beer when she arrives at the tavern, hoping to be a bit more successful this try. She also orders some of the sausage that was offered last time they were there, enjoying it with whatever drink she is given.

The next morning, she initially seems unsure about Floriana, though Nightblade whispers to her, "This one is a good one. Ruthless, but trustworthy. She will make an excellent ally." With that assurance, her fears vanish and she smiles brightly at Floriana. "Ey there! Welcomes ta the team. Name's Layla, from Altaruk in Amn. Ya look pretty skilled, I can't wait ta see ya in action."

-

"Six or more magical vaults?" Layla exclaims after hearing the description. "I only got one Knock. Hopefully there's a way ta get in the rest of em pretty easy too. Gotta worry bout them Helmites too. They a pretty tough bunch. Ain't gonna like us roamin round in they place too much. We definitely gotta get some more information on dis place before we goes."

Look Around You fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Sep 18, 2018

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

"Longclaw." The half-orc growls out to her newest partner in the group's adventures in box hunting, eyeing the woman up and down, sizing her up for potential before the dwarf moves onto their next target. Donata's eyes light up at the mention of an old temple and anyone looking would see a terrifying smile spread across her face as she leaned back into her chair "There would be plans for catacombs. In city people try not to dig into graves to build houses on."

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

Character Sheet

Slim looks up from his meal and sizes up Floriana. He immediately looks to Baern.

"You DID know I wasn't a girl when you hired me, right?"

He looks back to Floriana and sighs a bit. "Slim Stonefist." Without standing up, he reaches out as if to shake her hand before realizing it's covered with grease and a bit of honey pudding. He immediately licks it off, looks at her, looks at Baern, and goes back to eating dessert.

-------------

"Sneakin' past priests ain't as easy as you'd think, but tunneling in could be good. Give us plenty of time t' work n' a way out."

Melchiresa
Jun 21, 2006

Nice guy.
Tries hard.
Loves hot dogs The Game.

Floriana is dazed and caught off guard by the sudden appearance, joining the rest of the team. After a brief moment of pause, she tugs her clothes back into place, affecting a swagger she'd put on to make the rounds in a gambling house. She throws on a schmoozy grin, something close to a smirk, and makes her introductions.

"Glad to meet everyone. Looking forward to doin business wit' youse." She raises a glass she swiped off the platter of a distracted barmaid and takes a long drink. She felt she'd earned it after being teleported here by some magic dwarf she'd barely known a full day. She listens to her new companions brainstorm and furrows her brows together. After a moment she waves her hands as if to end the discussion.

"Tunneling? What are we? Moles? Do I look like a mole to you? Plus, tunnels are...y'know. Complicated. Structural integrity and stuff, yaknow? Those priests gotta know something, and I'm sure they'd talk to a member of the general public who is just curious. We may as well case the joint before we go startin' a new construction project. There's no crime in askin' questions if you don't get caught doing the thing you asked questions about. Plus - there's someone with a big mouth in every organization, trust me!"

Tardzilla
Aug 31, 2006

"Looking forward to working with you, as well," Val gives the new member of their team of misfits a two-finger salute, "Valeria. Valeria Garland, but you can call me Val." The ex-soldier reaches out to give Floriana a friendly hand-shake, "And yes, that's a good idea. We should gather as much information as we can first before we jump in," Val taps her chin, as she takes a second to think before she speaks again, "We'll need to figure out the layout of the catacombs, know what kind of defenses, magical or otherwise, they might have in place, and if we can find someone who'd be willing to "share" some of that information with us, then that's all the better for us."

Wahad
May 19, 2011

There is no escape.
Baern looks pleased. "Well, it seems you all have got things well in hand. Now, I must attend to other business, but I have two options for you to travel to Neverwinter. You may know the city is reachable by sea and by land. Captain Shaelinn of the Marid's Breath will have enough space to spare for passengers. The journey should take about three days, barring weather circumstances. On the other hand, if you prefer travel by land, the stables in the North Ward, near the gate, should have a sizeable selection of horses to hire which are suitable for long-distance travel. Talk to Garm, one of the stablehands there. It would take you longer, but you may wish to use the time to get to know eachother, or devise a plan. The timeframe is of no matter to us. As long as you complete the mission, we will be satisfied. Good luck!"

Barring any of you stopping him, Baern makes his way out the room and the tavern, and goes about his business.

Wol
Dec 15, 2012

See you in the
UNDERDARK

At Floriana's comment, Yren's eyes get a conspiratorial twinkle. "Aye, 'tis but a matching humour that'll loosen the common tongue. We'll trifle with't." She cocks her head slightly, her body language coy as she smiles at the new arrival. "My name's Yren. 'Twill be my pleasure to acquaint you, I'm sure."

Yren listens as Baern makes his speech. As soon as he makes to leave, she makes her opinion known. "The sea's rhythm carries gentler than a horse's jostling gait. I'm sure 'tis no wonder, but my affection's to the Marid's Breath."

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

Character Sheet

Slim grumbles at the talk of sailing. "Cold, wet, cramped rooms with no escape route? Hard tack and brined beef? That's your idea of a good time?"

He looks around the room and sticks a bit of cheese with one claw and eats it. "Now, if one o' you magical types could summon one of these mansions for us to stay in..."

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

Donata scowls at the notion of traveling by ship. However unlike the Bugbear, her concern was of a different tack "If things go bad on water, no way out for most of us. Land, we can avoid traps,
not get noticed."

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

"Takin a boat sounds excitin ta me!" Layla exclaims. "Bit scary, but seein da ocean sounds fun!" She looks at Yren with a smile, "Maybe we'll even get ta see some more mermaids!"

Wahad
May 19, 2011

There is no escape.
Eventually the vote falls for travel by ship. Whether you choose to eat some more or not, you all make your way over to the harbour. Finding the Marid's Breath is pretty easy; the ship is almost the largest in the harbour, a fat carrack hanging low in the water as the crew seems to be finishing loading up some cargo. You ask the nearest sailor on the dock for the captain. He gives you a bit of stinkeye, but whistles a piercing pattern, uncaring for the proximity of your own ears, and after a moment, a silhouette peers over the edge of the ship.

Before long, captain Shaelinn comes down the gangplank, a swagger in her step, a hilted saber at her belt. Her auburn hair obscures most of her features, but as she brushes it aside, you see an elf, almost as tall as Slim but more svelte, with critical, dark eyes looking you over. "You're a strange lot together, aren't you? Let's hear it, then." You explain your desire for passage to Neverwinter, which raises an eyebrow. "...Neverwinter is our next stop, and we do have room for passengers. But I don't make a habit of advertising those things." She crosses her arms defensively. "185 gold for the lot of you. That'll get you to Neverwinter. Consider it a curiosity tax." Some of the sailors still on the dock have taken note of your conversation now, and are staring with interest.

Wahad fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Sep 29, 2018

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

Character sheet

Donata's been in a foul mood after her plan to ride or walk to Neverwinter were dashed upon the shore of the other ladies desire to be trapped on a ship for half a week with next to no privacy, as such she was very reluctant to take the offer presented as a fair deal. "People getting curious enough." she growled, eyeing up the long haired captain.

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

"Agreed. Let's jus get goin on our way," Layla says as she pulls out 31gp from a pouch in her backpack, ready to hand it to the captain.

Melchiresa
Jun 21, 2006

Nice guy.
Tries hard.
Loves hot dogs The Game.

Floriana glares coldly at the captain, but holds her portion of the fee in her hand. "Hows 'bout we call this a 'mind your own business' tax, hm? Your business is sailin' dis here ship," she draws a circle in the air in the vessel's general direction for emphasis, "and our business is...our business." She finishes by gesturing in the vague direction of her companions.

Tardzilla
Aug 31, 2006

"Not the way I would have put it, but yes," Val pulls out enough gold to cover her part of the fee, "We have our reasons for wanting to go to Neverwinter, and we'd prefer to keep our business there to ourselves." The 'tax' is steep, and the captain might be ripping them off, but Val is willing to pay the price as long as it gets them to where they need to be with no questions asked.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

Character Sheet

Slim just grunts and wordlessly pays the captain his share.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wol
Dec 15, 2012

See you in the
UNDERDARK

"'Tis ill luck to sing a song unfinished," Yren's eyes twinkle up at the captain, "but if you've an ear for tales, perchance I'll sate thee yet." She presses her share of coin into the captain's hand and glides onto the ship, keeping an eye out for any crewmembers she might recognize from the Seax.