Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Melchiresa
Jun 21, 2006

Nice guy.
Tries hard.
Loves hot dogs The Game.

Sheet

"You're a real pal, y'know that? Just, ah...one more thing. When would those be, exactly? Gotta arrange transportation and all, and I'd hate to miss it. My cousin's a young fella and kids forget stuff pretty quick."

Melchiresa fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Jan 8, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tardzilla
Aug 31, 2006

"Ah, yes, of course. My friend over here is a scholar, you see," Val gestures at the disguised Donata, "She has an interest in lost relics, the kinds that been lost to time- Mostly for academic purposes- And we heard rumors that there might be some that are tied to Lazzarak. If you could point us to what you think would be relevant to her research, we'd be ever so grateful."

---

Back at the inn, Val knows better than to comment on the strong odor that's coming from Yren. "See you when you get back, love!" She says, as Yren makes her exit. Whatever she went through while she was in the sewers, it was probably better that Val doesn't ask, or bring it up with her. Ever.

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

Character sheet

Donata cursed inwardly, this whole stage was meant to avoid talking to people! As the clerk made his inquiries the Half-Orc shot a severe glare in his direction. Through the spectacled disguise, it simply looked as though a scholar who had lived too long to care about un-important things such as the existence of other creatures was getting a rude reminder that they exist and were important. She'd just have to hope that a sharp look would cut off his questioning.

Using Intimidate: 17

Wahad
May 19, 2011

There is no escape.
Team Book-learning

The clerk's smile brightens as Val explains, but as he looks over to not-Donata, it drops under her withering glare. "Oh, I - I mean, um...I'll leave you to it, then. But if you need information on relics, this is the section you'd best be served." He scurries away after that, rather quickly, leaving you to look. The tome you have is a bit dry, and drawn-out, but you do find some information on Lazzarak. Apparently, he once was a middling Thayan mage who had ambitions too great for his skill. Though the book does not detail his exploits particularly well, you gather that he found his way into lichdom - the way it is described, it seems he almost stumbled into it - though how, it is unclear. While being a lich, his powers grew, and he carved a great swath through Aglarond and Impiltur before finally being put down by heroes (a small note refers you to another volume if you wish to learn about their stories). There is nothing particularly about a Seal, unfortunately.

For an educated guess, one person roll History with advantage. Otherwise, now that you know where to look, you may wish to look for other stories.

Team People-people

Madrash nods. "Helmite ceremonies always take place at dusk, so that the light of the Watcher may bathe us when all other lights fail us. I certainly hope to see you there next week, then! Hale and hearty lives to you, ladies! Helm guard you from evil." With that - unless you stop him - he walks off, resuming the whistling of his jaunty tune.

Wahad
May 19, 2011

There is no escape.
Team Book-learning

The next few hours in the archives are spent looking for, pouring over, and discarding many, many volumes. It takes longer than expected; none of you are particularly at home in a library, much less doing paper research. Still, you manage to find some relevant information, eventually:

- Lazzarak's defeat at the hand of a band of heroes led to the unfortunate realization that they could not kill him. Instead, they called for the aid of a powerful mage, and the lich's essence was stored away in an artifact of unknown description. From what you've read, it seems safe to assume that this is the Seal of Lazzarak.

- Titanscharm seems to be some sort of bell, forged in Moradin's own forge, to aid the dwarves of ancient times in their battle against the giants that threatened their homes. When struck, it seems to sound some sort of echo in the very primordial essence of giants and titans, though the results of such an echo are lost to the ages; the tome is sadly incomplete beyond this description. The text is clear on one thing, however; other than its effects against giantkin, it seems to have a particularly destructive effect on the local surroundings, as a dwarven city you have never heard of seems to have been lost thanks to its ruler using the bell too much.

- Ruin's providence is a little harder to find. Many artifacts seem to have born such a name; though just as many of them seem to have been accounted for in other places, or lost to the inevitable march of time. It takes a particularly curious bout of inspiration as you look into a tome regarding magical forces of destruction...and you find its name among others; Sun, Moon, Void, and more. Though the tome is unclear on what form these artifacts take, the lot of them form a potent source of chaos in the world, and the tale tells of times when they are together - chaos ensues against those who wield it, their allies and their enemies, only for the artifacts to scatter again.

It is late at night when the clerk that guided you at first gets your attention with a small cough. He politely requests your leave, giving a regretful look to the disorganized pile of books on the table you've claimed, as the archives are closing down for the night.

Wahad
May 19, 2011

There is no escape.
Yren's chance encounter in the harbor

It is late when Yren's trip to scrub herself in the harbor comes to an end. The salt water reminds her of home, even after so long. It is a bittersweet memory, but one she cannot let go of, no matter how many land-folk customs she may adopt. But when she emerges from the water, she feels reinvigorated, renewed; and surprised.

For the first thing to greet her when she is fully on land is a voice she remembers all too well. "I would offer you a towel, but I don't think the tavern offers any spares." Sitting there, on a collection of barrels, mug of some unknown liquor in one hand, rapier in the other, is a horned figure, skin an ashen grey, eyes a twinkling orange. Varra Philomen is dressed in an uncharacteristically bland outfit, a practical studded leather tunic and similar pants, a traveler's cloak with hood down across her back. "A drink, instead?"

Yren is caught flat-footed. Varra is the last person she’d expect to see here. It’s a long, long way from Amn, and far too far north for leisure travel. Varra must have a good reason for being here. Yren’s mind races with questions. Best to start off slow, though. “Of all the night’s beauteous gallery, the prettiest star landeth in my lap? Of course I’ll share a drink with thee.” She smiles at Varra. Yren’s own traveler’s coat is but an arm’s reach away, but she stands as she is: sparsely clad, glistening with water, illuminated in the moonlight. Whichever way the conversation might go, it can only be to her advantage.

The tiefling puts down her own mug on the barrel to produce a second one from behind her and holds it out. She hasn't let go of her rapier, but she makes no aggressive motions, and her posture is relaxed; doesn't seem like she's ready to stab you yet. "I hear you're doing some interesting business."

Yren takes the mug and sniffs it. Hesitantly, she takes the smallest of sips. "I've always interesting business. And what of thee? What brings thee to such boreal climes?"

Perception at 1d20+1=7

"Be at ease. When I will be doing you harm I'll do it with more style than a poisoned drink," Varra scoffs, looking almost insulted as she picks up her own mug and takes a large swig. "As for business, the Shadow Thieves and I have... an arrangement. Every faction needs some outside help on occasion. They are no different in that regard." A moment of silence passes as she watches Yren with a curious expression. "But the temple, Yren? Really? Doesn't seem like your kind of job."

"'Tis not only fear of poison. I've still a poor fortitude for drink." Yren smiles somewhat abashedly, trying to defuse the mood. "But you know me too well, Varra. You know I'd not be caught live nor dead in such a temple were I not truly desperate, or else it served a larger whole. What of you, though? The Shadow Thieves slip you a pretty coin and you find yourself here? 'Tis far from Athkatla."

"Can't say much more than I have, Yren," she confesses, idly gesturing with her rapier, "not on their turf. Not until business is done." She pulls up a knee. "You ought to watch your back, though. They weren't kidding when they said the Helmites have good security. As for your associates..." she sniffs in disdain, "you've had better company. Must be some fine pay for you to be running around with a half-orc, a street-rat and a bugbear." The last word almost seems to almost leave a bad taste in her mouth, and she washes it down with another good swig. "And you don't seem that desperate. Pay must be fine indeed."

"If 'tis not one, it must be the other. I'll not deny I'm paid well." Yren gestures at the barrel where Varra is sitting. "May I join you? If you daren't speak of your task, I'd still hear of your life these past months...Varritsa."

Her eyes flash with an unreadable expression when Yren calls her by that name. "I haven't decided yet. To be honest, since the whole incident..." Her blade rises, just a touch. "Getting rid of you now would be both a benefit to my employer and a satisfying repayment." Her eyes steel a little... before she relaxes again, and the blade drops its point once more. "But I will admit I've never quite had your talent for improvisation, and so my promise of style leaves me with decidedly little options here."

"Would a scarlet 'V' in my chest not satisfy? And if you wanted to conceal your deed, the harbour's depths are right there - you could even cram me into that barrel if you wished to be clever about it. 'Tis not as if my crew would find me - not a one can swim. You ought've seen - on the ship that sailed us here, we were beset by harpies, and the bugbear fell overboard. O, the thrashing and commotion brought a tear to mine eyne. And the sight of him all sodden when he was hoisted back up - the poor beast, all sagging and threadbare like an old pair of pants." Yren laughs at the memory, never mind that she's doctored it a bit for her audience.

The tale leaves a smile on Varra's face, though she hides it behind a final swig from her mug. "No, no. When I make an example of you I want an audience." She gets off from the barrel and sheathes the rapier. "So you'd better make sure those stodgy old priests don't blow you up. I'd hate to have my vengeance unsatisfied because someone else got to it first." Putting the mug down, she walks past Yren, stopping only for a moment to leave a hand on her shoulder. "See you around." Her other hand glides past Yren's purse, but she notices she's not doing a particularly good job of it, and it remains untouched as she walks off.

Wahad
May 19, 2011

There is no escape.
When the crew finally reassembles completely, it is nearing midnight. The relevant information is shared, though you decide to leave planning till the morn; though Floriana and Layla remind everyone that if they wish to strike during the ceremony, they have only the day to prepare, as it takes place during dusk. It may be the only opportunity you have, unless you want to wait out the week for the other ceremony. But the Shadow Thieves' warning lingers in the back of your mind. You're not sure if rushing into a magically boobytrapped maze is better then waiting for the local unsavories to plan their revenge; but you have to make a decision soon, either way.

Wahad
May 19, 2011

There is no escape.
A heartfelt talk

It's pretty late by the time Yren gets back to the inn. She's done a lot of thinking along the way: about life, about who she wants to be, about how she's treated Varra. She makes an odd sight, perhaps, in nothing but her triton underclothes and a dark grey traveler's cloak. It's plain enough to see, though, that she's in no mood for banter, so she goes largely unbothered. As she climbs the stairs to the second floor, where the party's rooms are lined up, her legs feel heavy. It's been a long day. Just as soon as she lays a hand on the door to her own room, though, she stops. Maybe Val is still up. If she's being honest with herself, Yren wouldn't mind talking. She walks over and gives Val's door a hesitant knock. "'Tis Yren."

"It's open," comes Val's voice from behind the door. She had been laying on her bed, waiting for Yren to come back, "Come on in."

Yren lets herself in and closes the door softly behind her. As she undoes the clasp on her cloak, she meets Val's eyes, and a sad smile spreads across her face. "Thou art a welcome sight, Valeria." She says as she folds her still-damp cloak over the back of a chair.

"As are you~" Val hops out of her bed, and moves in closer so she could throw her arms around Yren, giving her a peck on the forehead, "Is something the matter? You don't look like your usual self."

Yren holds Val tightly, laying her head on her chest. For a while, she doesn't say anything. Her mind is still abuzz with what-ifs, regrets, and things left unsaid. But with time, the storm of thoughts and emotions gives way to the steady rhythm of Val's breath. Yren focuses on it, her own breath slowing to match as she does. After a long moment, Yren loosens her grip enough to look up into her lover's eyes. She smiles more easily now, almost calmly. "I met a friend I'd not seen in some time." She pauses for effect - a bit of the usual Yren creeping back in. "'Tis her wish to kill me. But today she killed me not."

"So it goes in our line of work," says Val, with a sigh. She doesn't loosen her grip on Yren, holding her a bit more tightly now, "I'm relieved to hear that she didn't. Who else am I supposed to my baked goods with?" Val winces a little. That was her attempt at lightening the mood a little, but she's not sure if she succeeded, "Well, whoever they are, if they wish to do any harm on you, then they'll have to get through me, first."

That gets a smile out of Yren. "Thou art e'er my gallant. But 'tis not so simple as to kill or be killed, I hope. Have I the choice, I'll not see her harmed." She gestures to the bed. "May we? I've much to say, and I've spent more hours than I'm made for standing stock on dry land today."

"As you wish, love," Val removes her arms around Yren, but she still keeps her hand on hers, and leads her over to the bed. She sits beside her lover, and says, "What's on your mind?"

The word 'love' - the second time Val's called her that today - throws Yren briefly off her train of thought. Sometime, she'll have to get to the bottom of it. She's met landfolk who say it only with the most heartfelt tenderness, others who toss it to everyone they meet, and all sorts in between. It's not clear to her what the word means to Val - but it's something she's going to want to know sooner than later.

Nonetheless, she came to talk about something else. Holding Val's hand in hers, Yren begins. "Her name's Varra. We met in Athkatla a year ere I met thee, mayhap more. She was a highwayman, a dashing knight of the road with a light-quick rapier and ambitions of city thievery. Together, we made quite a scourge on the city's lower nobles and gaming halls. 'Twas a merry time for the two of us - we complemented each other, in profession and in particular. We enjoyed each other. And for a time, it seemed we could do no wrong. For a time. There came a day our fortunes soured, and we were caught. Or," Yren sighs, "'tis more right to say, she was caught. I-" Her throat tightens around the next word. She feels pinpricks spread across her face, her cheeks flushed, as she struggles to continue.

Val listens quietly and intently to Yren as she shares her story with her, and gives her hand a gentle squeeze, as a way to give her some sort of comfort, "Take your time," Val tells her, her voice gentle and soft, "And know that you don't have to tell me now if it is too difficult for you."

“Valeria, I’ve ne’er told anyone this tale.” Yren manages to look her in the eyes. She’s barely holding it together, and it shows in her face. “Thou art the only one I’ve felt...like this...with.”

"I'm glad you've trusted me enough to share this with me," Once again, Val pulls Yren in for another embrace, "And the feeling is mutual. I've never come to care this much about anyone, either, as I have you."

Yren gazes adoringly at Val, though the moment is somewhat tainted by what she knows she has to say. She swallows. “Speak not so highly of me just yet. I...left Varra. I left her alone to face the guards, merely tossing a spell into the melee ere I fled. ‘Twas to save my own skin, but for her, I could have made no worse choice.”

Val is silent for a while, trying to find the right words for this. After a bit of thinking, she says, “...My old commander had a saying; Live on, and never look back. He believed that life was too short for regrets, and the best we can do is learn from our mistakes, so they would never happen again,” a beat, “What happened between you and Varra is in the past. There’s not much you can do to change that, and you did what you had to do to survive,” she strokes Yren’s hair, “If it ever comes down to blows, I’ll make sure no serious harm comes to her. You have my word.”

“Thank you.” Relieved, Yren sinks into Val’s embrace.

"And thank you for sharing your story with me," Val pauses for a moment, a smile rising up on her face as she gets a sudden idea, "I know what might help improve your mood. How would you feel about a shoulder massage?"

Yren leans in and gives Val a tender kiss. “I’d like that very much,” she says when they part.

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

Layla leans against the table, speaking up, "Well, I dunno about y'all, but I think we should wait til next week and hit em during they public thing. Maybe find a way ta create some kinda distraction durin they ceremony even? I think we got a better shot at gettin all the poo poo and gettin out with a buncha other stuff goin down takin up they attention then we do if we just try to hit em when they ain't got much else goin on. If we hit em just durin they private ceremony then they's just more likely ta all come at us, but wit a buncha regular folk there, they got other poo poo ta worry about."

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

Character Sheet

Slim grunts in response. "Dangerous work, that. Crowd'll give us some cover, fer sure, but they cause problems fer us, too. Can't control a riot.

I vote we hit 'em now, before dey hear any whispers. Git in, git out, git gone."

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

"Not bein able ta control th riot is exactly why we start one though," Layla says, leaning in towards Slim. "If they ain't able ta control it, they ain't gonna be able ta gently caress wit us, right?"

Wol
Dec 15, 2012

See you in the
UNDERDARK

"I trust my spells 'gainst a riotous crowd more than the Helmites' guarded minds. All the same, Slim's a point. If our rivals know our plans, time may prove febrile with rumour." Yren thinks on it a moment. The less she has to deal with the Helmites, the better. They make her nervous. And if push comes to shove, having killed a paladin of Helm is not the kind of underworld infamy she wants. On the other hand, the Shadow Thieves know what they're doing. Varra knows what they're doing. She's not sure what revenge Varra has planned for her, but she'd much rather it doesn't come in the middle of such a delicate job. Weighing the two options...she'd rather be doing a different job. But that's not an option now. A choice has to be made.

"Pandemonium be our ally. I vote we wait for the public ceremony to act." And Varra had better stay out of it.

Tardzilla
Aug 31, 2006

Val, with her elbows propped up on the table, fingers steepeld together, quietly considers their current plan in her head. It's a risky one, and the chances of everything going wrong is high, especially with the Shadow Thieves breathing down their necks, but it might be the best chance they've got. Finally, after a bit of thought, she speaks, "A fire is what we need. That should incite the crowd into a panic," she peers up at Slim, "Slim, out of all of us, you're the stealthiest, so you'll be in charge of setting the fires. On my signal, you'll let it loose, and when the crowd panics, that's when we make our move," a beat, "We have a week to prepare, so let's all make sure we're ready for what's to come. I have a feeling we're going to have a tough road ahead of us."

Melchiresa
Jun 21, 2006

Nice guy.
Tries hard.
Loves hot dogs The Game.

Sheet

Floriana knits her eyebrows together, looking around at the rest of her colleagues. "A riot's gonna be hard enough to deal with, and then we wanna go and almost burn the city down while we're at it? We can't let poo poo get too outta control. We gotta stick together and keep it simple. Maybe we set off some smoke bombs or somethin'. We don't need arson on our heads PLUS robbery."

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

Layla nods in agreement with Floriana. "Yeah, there's gotta be some kinda thing out there that'll jus make smoke an noise instead of a fire. Maybe some sorta al-chem-ic-al thing?" Thinking for a moment, she continues, "Also, I dunno if we wanna lose a man jus lightin a fuse... goin down there five deep ain't the best idea i don't think. There's gotta be another way ta set off our distraction."

Wahad
May 19, 2011

There is no escape.
The plan made, you have the rest of the week ahead of you to prepare. The prime material to acquire seems to be the distraction; whether it is a smoke bomb or something more magical. Floriana and Val each have their sources for illicit goods in the city, that they've heard of for, if never seen. Unfortunately, with none of you trained in the alchemical arts and the Shadow Thieves - and by extension, those who provide for them - having declared you are not in their good graces, this might be more difficult than you have anticipated. The more you think about it, the more this job seems to draw you into a narrow end... but there's good money on the line, and potentially powerful artifacts, if that holds your desire. And at least you're not on a deadline with your patrons.

Wahad
May 19, 2011

There is no escape.
Some shrewd negotiation later, you manage to find yourself in the possession of two smokescreen balls. Provided they are not doused in water, each of them will last about five minutes, producing thick, gray smoke that covers a 20 square feet area. The week passes by with little trouble; your Shadow Thief 'friends' seem content in letting you be, given that you haven't caused any trouble. But the day arrives sooner than you'd like, and as the sun starts to march towards the horizon in the late afternoon, you head out to manage your mischief. Yren leads you to a locked sewer grate she'd encountered in her earlier search, in a hidden alley closer to the tavern than her original entry point; with a deft application of Slim's expertise, it pops open. A quick scout ahead reveals the grifter's earlier markings, and you are confident you can find the catacombs from there.

While most of the party starts heading through the tunnels, Yren makes her way back to the temple. There is already a small crowd gathered outside, though the ceremony itself doesn't seem to have started; until about half an hour later, when the temple doors open and Adept Lutgehr comes out, flanked by Cassa, another priest, and with a tall man with a fierce mane of hair and intense eyes behind them. On the steps of the temple, with some of the guard, she also spies Madrash, looking unusually serious for once. Lutgehr begins to intone a speech while Cassa and the other priest spread out to the crowd. The fierce-looking man kneels before his dwarven superior, who talks about vigilance against evil and the spirit of good men who maintain it. The sky, meanwhile, has turned to an orange. Not long now before the sun has fully set, and the crowd is fully engaged with the ceremony.

Meanwhile, down below, the crew has managed to find the iron gate that leads into the catacombs. Beyond it, only darkness. A quick inspection reveals it locked. In the distance, to your right, you can hear the dwarven priest's voice; faint, but he intones loudly and clearly enough that it reaches even down here. The time is now to ply your trade.

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

Having cast Detect Magic as they neared the entrance, Layla inspects the gate to the catacombs for any magical traps or alarms.

Wahad
May 19, 2011

There is no escape.
Layla spies no magic on the gate itself; but from the darkness of the catacombs, smells of brimstone and iron, reminiscent of the evocation and the abjuration school, drift towards you - presumably, the magical wardings on the closest vault doors.

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

Layla whispers to the group, "Nothin magic on dis gate... there's some in da tunnels tho. Gotta watch out in there. Someone able ta get the gate open?"

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

Character Sheet

"No problim."

Slim moves to the gate and slips his tools into the lock, giving them a a quick twist.

@Slim (Relentless): 1d20+9 Thieves tools = (6)+9 = 15

Wol
Dec 15, 2012

See you in the
UNDERDARK

By the time the ceremony starts, Yren figures her companions must be through the sewers and at the catacombs door. They'd better be, anyway - she went through enough to make the way clear for them. She gives a couple extra minutes - she's not exactly expecting the Helmites to be on them as soon as they open the door, and her distraction will look more natural if it doesn't start literally as soon as the ceremony does. Lurking in a nearby alleyway, she casts Disguise Self before getting to work, making herself look as ordinary as possible. After strategically planting the smoke bombs (and lighting their mercifully long fuses), she hurries around the corner to the street, where she casually and quietly slips into the gathered crowd in front of the temple.

"Wait - I smell burning." She blurts out, loud enough for half the crowd to hear. Turning around to look at the billowing plumes, she gasps, and raises her voice. "Um, sorry to interrupt, but - there's a lot of smoke coming out of that house behind us. I think - that house is on fire! Y-you're paladins, right? You have to do something!" She waits for pandemonium to set in, then looks to slip away in the confusion.

Wahad
May 19, 2011

There is no escape.
Yren's ploy seems to have caught the attention of the guards present; they spy the dark smoke billowing up and immediately gesture for it, as if to move the crowd out of the way. But between her quick lie and the guards' motion, the whole crowd almost turns at once to see it as well. A woman screams. "My house!" Another shout. "Fire!" People turn to the Helmites. "Save us!" And then they start running. Some move down the street, away from the smoke, but the majority looks for the safest building; the temple. The priests and paladins try to maintain order, to keep people out, but they are caught up as in a tidal wave with the scared crowd.

The effects of the stampede are not unnoticed in the catacombs. Distant screams and a thunderous rumbling of many feet echo down towards the thieves. Slim takes advantage of the situation and opens the gate without much effort. You're in; but the inside is dark, and you're not sure where the right vault is. Still, you have your distraction. It's now or never.

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

"Aight, lets do this poo poo," Layla whispers as she pulls out a sunrod and strikes it off the wall to light it. She leads the group through the gate and to the right as she begins looking for the fourth numbered vault, all the while keeping an eye out for any non-magical traps along the floors and wall as well as looking for magical traps with her active Detect Magic.

Wahad
May 19, 2011

There is no escape.
The light spills out through the hall, and you blink in discomfort for a moment. What you see when the eyes settle is a hallway, about three feet wide, stretching a good distance in either direction, of smooth marble with engravings in Dwarven on the wall that borders the sewer. Approaching the first vault, you see what you presume to be the door, with a hole in the center for the key larger than with a normal door. The vault has engravings as well, but it is no language; instead, the more arcane inclined among you recognize them as runes. The pillars to the left and right are stylized statues of an armored warrior - presumably Helm - and Layla and Floriana recognize the marking on the shield as the Dwarven depiction of the number six.

Seeing no traps - magical or otherwise - in the hallway, you continue onwards to the right, passing vault number five and eventually finding the fourth; your target, if your assumptions on the object you are to retrieve are correct. The vault door is functionally identical to number six, and Layla deduces that it is magically warded similarly to what she saw before, spells of the evocation and abjuration school are put on this door..

Donata: The presence you felt before, that heated hunger that once reached out to you in your fever dreams, starts to gnaw at the back of your mind once more, growing rapidly as you walk through the hallway, the heat growing like a fire igniting from a small twig and soon enveloping a whole tree. It is here. Not in the vault you end up facing, but this thing, this power...the Helmites have it locked up, and it is not something that is meant to be locked up. It is something that must reign free, feed, like the unrelenting storms of autumn and the raging fire that consumes buildings and people alike in its wake. It calls to you. It needs you, now that you are so close. Just one more vault over. It is there, for you to take. To claim. To wield. You know that with it, the revenge that you seek would go unstopped. The wrath you hold would no longer be internal. There would be a great reckoning, and all would tremble before you and despair.

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

"Aight, so they got some wards on dis door. Prolly an alarm, and prolly somethin ta kill us. Did any one of ya see anythin around ta open it wit that won't get us blown up?"

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

Character Sheet

Slim muscles his way through the group to the front of the door, pulling out his tools. He sticks one in his mouth and sucks on it for a second before putting it to the door.

"Alright, ladies. I gots da lock. One o' you got da magic?"

@Slim (Relentless): 1d20+9 thieves tools = (18)+9 = 27

Melchiresa
Jun 21, 2006

Nice guy.
Tries hard.
Loves hot dogs The Game.

Sheet

Planning point!

"Whoa whoa whoa 'ere! I dunno about having no magic, but I got enough sense to know better than sticking a lockpick into a magical lock. That's got a ward on it, since pickin it is exactly what they expect. We should deal with that ward first."

Wahad
May 19, 2011

There is no escape.
With Floriana's help, Layla can easily find the specific rune that arms the Alarm spell on the vault door, and crosses it out quickly to make the spell inert. The evocation spell, however, eludes both their expertise. When Slim goes to work on the lock, all of you brace yourselves...

...and nothing happens when you hear the heavy ka-thunk of the door unlocking. No glow, no explosion, nothing. It seems Slim's particular affinity for locks emulated the way of whatever the priests use to open the vault well enough.

Looking inside, you see a tiled floor, and about eight feet away, there is a small pedestal, with a box similar to the one you recovered in the Hazelburn mansion resting on top of it. Each tile is covered with a symbol, in a seemingly random distribution, though there are only four different symbols.

Donata, Religion: Each of the symbols correspond to a different god; there are symbols of Helm, Torm, Selune and Sune.

Wahad fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Feb 20, 2019

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

Character Sheet

Slim grins to himself as the door opens, and his team's excellent magical skills disable all the spells.

"Nice work, ladies. Y'all wanna figure out how to git to 'er, or ya wan' me ta just reach in and snatch 'er?"

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

Character sheet

"Signs of the gods..." growled Donata, slightly annoyed that her initial hunch as to where the main prize would be was correct. "This is still Helm's temple, is likely only their symbols are safe." She says, indicating to the Bugbear where the safe bet for a safe step would lie.

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

"Or we can use a spell ta lift it out. Ya got one Floriana?" she asks, looking directly at her.

Melchiresa
Jun 21, 2006

Nice guy.
Tries hard.
Loves hot dogs The Game.

Sheet

Floriana cracks her knuckles and holds out her hand "sure do!" She screws her face up in concentration, willing a ghostly hand to appear near the box. The hand scoops up the box and with a simple gesture from Floriana, places it in her waiting hand.

She looks the box over and looks at the rest of the group. "Don't look like it's rigged with nothin'...I guess if it was gonna blow, it would've by now."

Wahad
May 19, 2011

There is no escape.
You take a moment to inspect the box, and assess your chances. Upstairs, it seems things have quieted down a little - you still hear a bit of rumble from footsteps, but it's far less chaotic than before. Likely, the priests and guards are attempting to herd people out again. Nobody seems to be coming down, however - and more importantly, you have your objective. On closer inspection, the engraved pattern, while a different appearance from the first box you retrieved, is clearly of similar craftsmanship.

Donata: Having seen your comrades dispatch of the security so handily, you know that you could easily get your hands on the thing that calls to you. You're so close...and it is unlikely you will ever return here. The instrument of vengeance you have longed for could be in your hands.

Before you can make a decision on what to do, Yren arrives in a hurry from the sewer entrance, startling the more alert of you for a moment. She looks reasonably confident that her distraction has gone off without complications, though less than pleased to be back in the sewers again.

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

Character sheet

"So simple..." Donata mumbled to herself as the box was sweeped up into Floriana's clutches without the Bugbear even having to bother with the tiles, pacing to the adjacent vault door "Slim, we still have time down here. No-one suspects a raid. We can take another vault, but if we leave now we can never return to this place," she growled out, trying to keep her breathing under control "There will be no other chance, nothing else like what is down here."

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

Character Sheet

Slim just shrugs at Donata.

"I'm game for makin' a little more coin if erryone else is."

Melchiresa
Jun 21, 2006

Nice guy.
Tries hard.
Loves hot dogs The Game.

Sheet

Floriana grins widely, "go big or go home - am I right?"

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

Character Sheet

"Sounds good t' me!"

Slim moves to the vault Donata is standing by and goes to work on the lock.

@Slim (Relentless): 1d20+9 2nd Vault = (6)+9 = 15

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

"Aight, let's get in here," she says, attempting to disable the rune on the door. Her first attempt fails, but Floriana is able to catch her and give her a bit of help to finish disarming the trap before the alarm goes off.

quote:

@Layla Tahan (LAY): 1d20+3 arcana = (6)+3 = 9
@Layla Tahan (LAY): 1d20+3 arcana = (15)+3 = 18

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wahad
May 19, 2011

There is no escape.
Now that the first vault has been opened, doing the second one is much less challenging. The door swings open, much like before, though the sight you see within is different than before. There is no tiled floor within the vault, and the pedestal is wider. On top of it rests a spear, about seven feet long, and made of a silvery material. The spearhead is a strange, jagged shape, reminding you somewhat of a lightning bolt - but perhaps that's because of the electricity that seems to arc from the weapon into the walls, floor and ceiling of the vault at random intervals. Grabbing this might be a bit trickier than before.

Donata: You know what to do. This storm is yours to command, if you have the will.