Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Get Ready for Price Time , Bitch

You can watch all the movies with his commentary or just rewatch the entire commentary. I'm watching Sorrority Babes in Slimeball Bowl a Rama.

Shudder has it set up as a "series".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Hollismason posted:

You can watch all the movies with his commentary or just rewatch the entire commentary. I'm watching Sorrority Babes in Slimeball Bowl a Rama.

Shudder has it set up as a "series".

I'm guessing this is a "series" through shudder TV and not under their normal Series tab?

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Drunkboxer posted:

I'm guessing this is a "series" through shudder TV and not under their normal Series tab?

Nope it's through their normal series tab. If you click on the icon on the main menu, it takes you to a whole page with the movies separated. They were split up to begin with, all Shudder did was run them back-to-back on the stream.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

King Vidiot posted:

Nope it's through their normal series tab. If you click on the icon on the main menu, it takes you to a whole page with the movies separated. They were split up to begin with, all Shudder did was run them back-to-back on the stream.

Yeah I guess I just couldn't see it because I have it through amazon. I should have checked their twitter feed before whining in two threads about it:

https://twitter.com/shudder/status/1018338422900084736

Bald White Dad
Dec 28, 2004
Just some fag with a computer...on the internets bitch!
I'm not ashamed to admit I got a little choked up there at the end.

I hope that he reconsiders, I can't believe how much I missed this.

Violator
May 15, 2003

Heck, since Shudder is owned by AMC they could use him for their yearly Halloween stuff so there’s all sorts of good opportunities for him. Have him host a movie on Shudder every Friday night and do an AMC Halloween marathon every year.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
@AMC hire this guy ^^^^^

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Violator posted:

Heck, since Shudder is owned by AMC they could use him for their yearly Halloween stuff so there’s all sorts of good opportunities for him. Have him host a movie on Shudder every Friday night and do an AMC Halloween marathon every year.

Replace Chris Hardwick on The Talking Dead with Joe Bob, and then immediately cancel Walking Dead mid-season and fill the slot with an all-new MonsterVision.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Violator posted:

Someone asked him on his AMA and he said that he would like to work with Shudder again. So even if it's not this again, I hope they do something for Halloween.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
I was busy this weekend and couldn't watch, but I plan on doing it later this week. It ran on Canadian Shudder too, right?

Solidkgb
Apr 11, 2015

King Vidiot posted:

Replace Chris Hardwick on The Talking Dead with Joe Bob, and then immediately cancel Walking Dead mid-season and fill the slot with an all-new MonsterVision.

Look here, this boy's got a drat fine idea.

Solidkgb
Apr 11, 2015

LesterGroans posted:

I was busy this weekend and couldn't watch, but I plan on doing it later this week. It ran on Canadian Shudder too, right?

I am not sure, my understanding was due to licensing and what-not right now Joe Bob is only for American subs.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

LesterGroans posted:

It did not.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Solidkgb posted:

I am not sure, my understanding was due to licensing and what-not right now Joe Bob is only for American subs.

Lurdiak posted:

It did not.

loving lame. I guess I'll settle for watching whichever films they have on Canadian Shudder and then watching some rando Monstervision Joe Bob clips on YouTube afterwards :(

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Timeless Appeal posted:

But James Rolfe kind of is the guy for it.

Please no.

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich

King Vidiot posted:

Yeah, it's pretty apparent now that this is a one-season series called "The Last Drive In" (notice each movie opens with the same dedicated intro sequence) and the event was a marathon of all the episodes.

There's nothing wrong with this in and of itself (it's a great way to debut the series, really) but I think they should have been more upfront about it. Hell, folks would probably have been a lot more forgiving of the streaming/traffic issues if they had a better idea of what this event actually was.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

I think it was obvious it wasn't going to be "live", as in Joe Bob wasn't going to be up for 24 hours hosting 13 movies. But they did at least give it a sense of continuity, like the episodes all flow together to feel like an old school marathon.

I imagine what they did was, they had Joe Bob prepare a script complete with where the "commercial breaks" would occur, and then filmed every host segment back-to-back in one sitting. The passage of time is real, it's just a few hours though instead of 24.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I still have about half the episodes to watch, but the only thing that really didn't work about the revival was the misogyny. I get that it's all in character and doesn't actually represent Bloom, but having a ditsy bimbo assistant with tits out wearing daisy dukes (which I think they were trying to maybe subvert?) and Jo Bob throwing around gendered insults is not a good look for any character in 2018. It's nice that he tried with the trans stuff around Sleepaway Camp, but that came off a bit like "Grandpa's trying to be progressive but still uses the word shemale".

Outside of that, it was a runaway success. But it definitely left me with an icky feeling that made it a bit hard to recommend to the uninitiated.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

feedmyleg posted:

I still have about half the episodes to watch, but the only thing that really didn't work about the revival was the misogyny. I get that it's all in character and doesn't actually represent Bloom, but having a ditsy bimbo assistant with tits out wearing daisy dukes (which I think they were trying to maybe subvert?) and Jo Bob throwing around gendered insults is not a good look for any character in 2018. It's nice that he tried with the trans stuff around Sleepaway Camp, but that came off a bit like "Grandpa's trying to be progressive but still uses the word shemale".

Outside of that, it was a runaway success. But it definitely left me with an icky feeling that made it a bit hard to recommend to the uninitiated.

I’ve been rewatching old MonsterVision clips on YouTube, and a lot of that stuff - like Rusty the mail girl - is pretty hardcoded into the DNA of the character. It hadn’t aged well there, and it didn’t work here either. The irony is of course that John Bloom, the critic, is super loving insightful, and the most interesting stuff always comes from when he drops the character a bit and just riffs on trivia and stuff.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

I rewatched some Monstervision stuff and realized how hard Joel McHale's The Soup cribbed from it.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

My friend invited me over to watch the stream and after it didn’t work he put on that Carrot Top movie, Chairman of the Board

sponges fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Jul 16, 2018

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

I like Rolfe well enough, but he doesn't have the knowledge to pull something like that off. All of his observations are pretty surface level stuff, but he's so amiable and laid back that you don't tend to mind.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

sponges posted:

My friend invited me over to watch the stream and after it didn’t work he put on that Carrot Top movie, Chairman of the Board

Still kind of counts as a horror marathon.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

LesterGroans posted:

I rewatched some Monstervision stuff and realized how hard Joel McHale's The Soup cribbed from it.
The Soup is a follow up to Talk Soup which started in 1991. Briggs started TV hosting in 1986. It's possible Talk Soup cribbed from him, but it's likely that the similarities are a coincidence.

quote:

I like Rolfe well enough, but he doesn't have the knowledge to pull something like that off. All of his observations are pretty surface level stuff, but he's so amiable and laid back that you don't tend to mind.
The counterpoint I'd make is that I'm pretty sure he somehow convinced Lloyd Kaufman to be in an Angry Video Game Nerd video. Briggs also seems to like Rolfe.

Like I don't think you can ever get someone is what Briggs is because Briggs was actually there. But I do feel like Rolfe could have a similar knack of getting fun interviews.

Timeless Appeal fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Jul 17, 2018

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Rolfe is a boring rear end in a top hat.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Lurdiak posted:

He’s a chill dude. Like the chilliest around.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

Like I usually sit idly by when you come in with your patented Hot Takes and Bad Opinions, but goddamn dude. The gently caress...

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

I find Rolfe to be a humble innocuous fellow

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Ok fine he's not an rear end in a top hat but I'm not budging on the boring thing. He gets by on sheer volume of material and getting his start covering niche stuff, he doesn't have much charisma and his analysis is always very shallow.

Plus that movie was shameful.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

He’s very charismatic

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

CelticPredator posted:

He’s very charismatic

Sure, and Wentworth Miller is this generation's Orson Welles.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
I'm not arguing that the guy isn't a huge manchild and doesn't have flaws.

I think in terms of encyclopedic knowledge, genuine enthusiasm for the genre, and an apparent ability to ingratiate himself with good interview subjects, he oddly gets the closest to what Briggs is.

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011
I agree with Ludraik on the boring part, he's a sane and kind Nostalgia Critic. He's a passionate horror film fan and retro gamer, but boring as hell. I have no idea how you can call him an rear end in a top hat though.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Lurdiak posted:

Sure, and Wentworth Miller is this generation's Orson Welles.

How dare you suggest that Wentworth Miller doesn’t have the chops to pull off Unicron.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Looks like some episodes are now available in Canada, eh.

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018
https://twitter.com/shudder/status/1020458068352651264

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Jose Oquendo posted:

Looks like some episodes are now available in Canada, eh.

gently caress yeah

gently caress yeah

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011
I'm fine with Joe Bob Brigs either doing a movie "marathon" every friday the 13th or Halloween and Friday the 13th

3 A.M. Radio
Nov 5, 2003

Workin' too hard can give me
A heart attACK-ACK-ACK-ACK-ACK-ACK!
You oughtta' know by now...
I wonder how the rights work with stuff like this. Don't the movies usually pop in and out of availability? Did they make sure the movies they used in The Last Drive-In are ones that rarely, if ever, expire?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

3 A.M. Radio posted:

I wonder how the rights work with stuff like this. Don't the movies usually pop in and out of availability? Did they make sure the movies they used in The Last Drive-In are ones that rarely, if ever, expire?

I kinda think they fully intended it to be a one-off, one time only streaming event but they overestimated their site's ability to withstand that amount of people watching at once. The whole point of the event was to bring back the idea of a communal viewing experience, where people come together to all watch the same thing at the same time. They only added the individual movies later because many people were literally unable to watch it due to website issues. I mean, Joe Bob wrote an article recently that was all about that missing sense of community in our age of on-demand streaming. So I don't think it really matters if the movies expire, what matters is that people all come together to watch something at the same time.