Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Violator
May 15, 2003

3 A.M. Radio posted:

I wish when they had new seasons and specials, they started them at the beginning of the month. I got to the point where I just stop watching movies on Shudder if I know there's going to be a Last Drive-In, because they almost always cover movies I JUST watched.

Yeah I agree. The first marathon was great because I signed up for Shudder for it and experienced several movies for the first time. The themed specials are fine because those are usually big movies you would have expected to see already. But the "seasons" are tough because he's showing whatever schlock they have in the Shudder catalog.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Violator
May 15, 2003

Use coupon code 'shutin' to get a free month of Shudder. I just restarted my membership and used it so it's not just for new members.

I saw they have Friday's 1-8 for April. I hope they do at least one of them while they have the rights for them.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

My guess is Maniac, has Joe Bob done Maniac?

3 A.M. Radio
Nov 5, 2003

Workin' too hard can give me
A heart attACK-ACK-ACK-ACK-ACK-ACK!
You oughtta' know by now...
Wow. I wonder if he's going to try and have a guest on each episode.

Violator
May 15, 2003

WeaponX posted:

My guess is Maniac, has Joe Bob done Maniac?

I think you're right about Maniac. On Twitter he teased for this week:

quote:

The first movie is an 80s classic that JOKER stole from.
The second movie is an 80s classic that every high school movie stole from.

#1 Everyone thinks Maniac and Savini kind of seals it. I've never seen Joker, so I'm not sure what it stole from Maniac? The crazy loner I guess? Can't be a shotgun to the head.
#2 Everyone is guessing Class of 1984, but I've never seen that either.

I also admit I wouldn't have been able to finish Blood Sucking Freaks last week if it wasn't on the show. He and Jericho did a good job riffing on it during the breaks.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Violator posted:

I think you're right about Maniac. On Twitter he teased for this week:

#1 Everyone thinks Maniac and Savini kind of seals it. I've never seen Joker, so I'm not sure what it stole from Maniac? The crazy loner I guess? Can't be a shotgun to the head.
#2 Everyone is guessing Class of 1984, but I've never seen that either.

I also admit I wouldn't have been able to finish Blood Sucking Freaks last week if it wasn't on the show. He and Jericho did a good job riffing on it during the breaks.

Not sure about the Joker hint but Maniac seems like the prototypical Joe Bob movie.

Maybe Slumber Party Massacre for #2? The original Prom Night is on Shudder also.

WeaponX fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Apr 30, 2020

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
So yeah, I'll guess I'll stand up from the back of the room and confess I'm still watching this too. Having Chris Jericho on was appropriate considering how watching Joe Bob right now feels like wrestling fans who keep watching WWE despite knowing that Vince McMahon is a garbage person. I don't even know that John Bloom is really a garbage person but let's not keep having that circular argument.

Bloodsucking Freaks is still a hoot, I haven't seen that movie since I first watched it over ten years ago during my college days. I still felt really dirty watching it.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Before that nazi poo poo I kind of figured he was at least leftish in the sense of being accepting of outcasts and pariahs instead of hooting and cheering when the cops break their heads open for opposing nazis.

He used to be. I knew him in the 90s and he was a regular dope smoking liberal.

Like many of my friends from the 90s, brain worms I guess. It sucks.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
At least that makes me feel better about watching my old MonsterVisions.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

precision posted:

He used to be. I knew him in the 90s and he was a regular dope smoking liberal.

Like many of my friends from the 90s, brain worms I guess. It sucks.

I think Joe Bob's issue is that strain of free-speech absolutism that you find in horror fans sometimes. It was progressive during the Satanic Panic era when they were railing against the Falwells and and Tipper Gores of the world but doesn't really fit into the world we live in now.

Anyway, I had to draw the curtains in my house when I watched Blood Sucking Freaks so my neighbors wouldn't see me watching a woman being spanked on a 55 inch TV. Glad I finally saw it though.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

I'm wondering if I've ever really seen the original Maniac. None of the movie seemed familiar to me, but I could've sworn I had to have seen it at some point because I knew who Joe Spinell was and I remember the mannequins, the scalps, the head explosion and that ending dream sequence. But I was probably just aware of all that from cultural osmosis, it's one of those movies that's notorious for being notorious.

Not nearly as good as the Elijah Wood remake, IMO. I think the story works better when you have someone cute like Elijah Wood struggling with his demons while just being a horrible monster. When it's Joe Spinell you have a harder time buying him as a romantic interest. Not a knock against Spinell in real life, but he's certainly not a remotely sympathetic character in the original movie. He's just too creepy on every level.

3 A.M. Radio
Nov 5, 2003

Workin' too hard can give me
A heart attACK-ACK-ACK-ACK-ACK-ACK!
You oughtta' know by now...
For some reason the new episode still has not popped up on the Shudder channel on Amazon Prime. Anybody know if there's a reason why?

Violator
May 15, 2003

Brain Damage up first tonight.

I still need to watch Heathers from last week but haven’t been in the mood for a dark teen comedy.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Violator posted:

Brain Damage up first tonight.

I still need to watch Heathers from last week but haven’t been in the mood for a dark teen comedy.

Heathers is just over the top enough that even the dark parts are silly and hilarious.

Brain Damage seems like a very Joe Bob movie...dirty NYC, Henenlotter, a deadly drugged up blowjob scene

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Heathers is an all time classic

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Well, as much as I'm reticent to consume more Joe Bob in light of his chud-hood, it's pretty hard to imagine not watching him chat with Lloyd Kaufman.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

I'm still watching Joe Bob closely for signs of Dumb White Boomerism, he came close with his rant about San Francisco and listing all the things that are illegal there, a lot of which are sensible things like cat declawing (absolutely do not declaw your cats that's animal cruelty).

Bloodsucking Freaks with Chris Jericho was great, Heathers couldn't have aired at a better time because I recently bought the Arrow blu ray which turned out to be Region B locked. It seems like it's been on Shudder for a while though, I can't recall. I appreciated the trivia though, as always. And I'll take any excuse to watch a Frank Henenlotter movie.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

So if he’s bringing Uncle Lloyd on the show, what do you think they are they going to show? I’m either hoping for a double feature of

Citizen Toxie / Terror Firmer

or

Tromeo & Juliet / Return to Return to Nuke Em High.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Drunkboxer posted:

I think Joe Bob's issue is that strain of free-speech absolutism that you find in horror fans sometimes. It was progressive during the Satanic Panic era when they were railing against the Falwells and and Tipper Gores of the world but doesn't really fit into the world we live in now.

'Free speech absolutism' is an inherently right wing position because it gives power to those who would weaponize hate speech to silence others. There's a very famous clip of Richard Spencer talking to another nazi where they admit that calling their position "pro free speech" is just a trojan horse to get dumb liberals to give them a platform, and that, were they in power, they would eliminate free speech.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Well, this was a depressing thread to find.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Peak Performance.

Buglord

McSpanky posted:

Well, this was a depressing thread to find.

All this news came out literally the day after I met Joe Bob, got a picture, and got him to sign the jacket I was wearing. Trust me, I agree it's depressing!

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Lloyd Kaufman mentioned on Twitter one of the movies they’re going to be watching on Joe Bob on Friday is Troma’s War.

Violator
May 15, 2003

I don't think I've ever seen a Troma movie so this will be a first. I saw the Toxic Avenger cartoon as a kid, but Street Trash is probably the closest thing I've seen to what I expect Troma to be.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

The Troma movie they're showing isn't really one of the better Troma movies, but it was directed by Lloyd and got butchered by the MPAA when it first came out. Post in the thread after you watch it, I'm curious what your reaction's going to be since it'll be your first foray into Troma.

If it doesn't completely turn you off from their movies, I'd suggest watching the following after Friday (spoiler'd so no one knows what's not playing friday night on Joe Bob)

Tromeo & Juliet
Toxic Avenger Part 1
Class of Nuke 'em High
Surf Nazis Must Die
Terror Firmer (the movie's about a serial killer on the set of Toxie IV, so it works as a good bridge between Toxie1 and Toxie 4)
Toxic Avenger Part IV (DO NOT WATCH 2 or 3, they're cheap cash grabs, the perfect trilogy for this is Toxic Avenger 1/Terror Firmer/Toxie IV)
Return to Return to Nuke 'Em High Part 1&2

ruddiger fucked around with this message at 00:05 on May 14, 2020

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Violator posted:

I don't think I've ever seen a Troma movie so this will be a first. I saw the Toxic Avenger cartoon as a kid, but Street Trash is probably the closest thing I've seen to what I expect Troma to be.

Class of Nuke 'Em High is an all-timer.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

It was hinted at that it won't be a Troma "double-feature", but since they're having Lloyd Kaufman on I'm betting on the other movie being Class of 1984. Just the fact that it's on Shudder right now doesn't really mean anything, but I'm sure it was a major influence on Class of Nuke 'Em High.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

King Vidiot posted:

It was hinted at that it won't be a Troma "double-feature", but since they're having Lloyd Kaufman on I'm betting on the other movie being Class of 1984. Just the fact that it's on Shudder right now doesn't really mean anything, but I'm sure it was a major influence on Class of Nuke 'Em High.

The hint Joe Bob gave for the Troma film was “the first one is made by a low-budget genius who went high budget and crashed” so makes sense that it’s War, their highest budget film. I also love that Lloyd just blurted it out on twitter lol

The hint for the other movie is “the second one was made by unknowns who ended up with worldwide distribution” which covers a lot of horror movies

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

King Vidiot posted:

I'm still watching Joe Bob closely for signs of Dumb White Boomerism, he came close with his rant about San Francisco and listing all the things that are illegal there, a lot of which are sensible things like cat declawing (absolutely do not declaw your cats that's animal cruelty).

Bloodsucking Freaks with Chris Jericho was great, Heathers couldn't have aired at a better time because I recently bought the Arrow blu ray which turned out to be Region B locked. It seems like it's been on Shudder for a while though, I can't recall. I appreciated the trivia though, as always. And I'll take any excuse to watch a Frank Henenlotter movie.

The Last Drive-In is pretty much a portal to Terrible poo poo That Was Acceptable on TV in the 90's as far as Joe Bob's overall format goes, what with the weird mail girl thing (seriously the whole thing is just creepy top to bottom), Joe Bob's inability to have a non-cringey interaction with women on the show, and so on.

My first foray into the Last Drive-In was George C. Scott's The Changeling followed by The House of the Devil. Both pretty good movies in their own right. Not coincidentally Joe Bob's insights were pretty good because there's interesting things going on in these movies and frankly he's quite knowledgeable. When we get into the real lowest common denominator poo poo like Sleepaway Camp and Street Trash, well, it's sort of like when MST3K finds a movie so bad that it can't be improved by any amount of witty commentary, but worse, because we find out how prurient Joe Bob is.

I remember MonsterVision being fun, but I was also a teenager. Joe Bob getting a cast member from Chopping Mall and proceeding to make that as awkward as possible while getting into absolutely no interesting subject matter is not fun.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Horror has a Leadership Problem - by Johnny Donaldson

quote:

People defend Joe Bob Briggs as a satirist and all of this as part of his shtick — but shtick that is racist, sexist and homophobic is still racist, sexist and homophobic.

I Knew a Guy Who Was LGBTQRSTUVWXYZ - Joe Bob Briggs

quote:

Has anybody ever really self-identified as Questioning? I suppose they have or it wouldn’t be on the list, but it sounds like something you do when you play World of Warcraft and sit around wondering, “Do I want to be a Paladin, a Mage, or a Rogue—I just can’t decide.” I mean, check your libido, it’s probably telling you something .

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 06:06 on May 15, 2020

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
So I don't mind admitting that maybe I'm dumb about this. I'm straight and white so of course I am. But given that the article ends this way.

quote:

If you go deep into the sexual identity of anyone—cisgender, transgender, intersex, androgyne, bigender (please add a hyphen so we don’t think it’s big-ender), gender variant, pangender, transmasculine, transfeminine, butch, femme, stone butch, high femme, third gender, aliagender, boi, demiboy, demigirl, polygender, trigender, gender creative—in other words, if you go into the mind of anyone, anywhere, at any time, at any place on the gender spectrum, you will find a secret idiosyncratic place that makes that person who ze is. Unless you’re having sex with that person—and sometimes even if you are—you’ll never know what that idiosyncratic place is.

There aren’t just eight categories of “gender identity,” there are 8 billion.

Defining part of the population as LGBTQIA is self-defeating because it separates.

Come back to the family, people. Don’t make me label you. It’s all the same. It’s called the HTTFIOLFL community:

Humans Trying To Figure It Out, Looking For Love.

Isn't that a more tolerant message than the people branding JBB as homophobic or transphobic want to admit? I'm British so I have little affection or link to Briggs and I have found the way he words things to be questionable at times but it also seems like a language issue. A guy who's like 60 simply isn't going to talk about these things the way a 20 year old is and I understand people want to be recognised but I don't think the underlying message, that we're ultimately all just people after the same thing, is one of intolerance.

I understand both sides of the argument, but I've found it pretty telling that people keep snipping and passing around the same out of context quote to make their point.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
As a non-binary person currently super questioning both my gender identity and how that defines my sexual identity, I'm not super offended by that specific Briggs article because it seems well meaning and going for lower tier George Carlin jokes. The questioning piece is really stupid though. I feel like a lot of people have had moments where they had a crush on someone who presented in a way they didn't usually identity as being attracted to.

But it's also, ya know, mad ignorant. LGBTQA+ labeling has always existed to prevent gatekeeping and build coalitions. People are lovely and don't fall into easy boxes. Go back even fifteen years, and it was easy to find people who were cool with gay people, but still lovely about bi or pan people and definitely trans people. Go look up Dan Savage's bullshit on not wanting Ace people to march in Pride.

I remember Obama pointed out before he stepped down how it seems like the movement for trans inclusion seemed incredibly rapid which is both true and absolutely not true. But that perceived speed is because the broader bucketing of it being okay to be queer in general meant that people didn't think in terms of "Most people bang the opposite gender, but sometimes they don't and that's also fine" to "People can define their gender and sexuality in a lot of ways and that's fine." The former was a stance from people like my mom who was not a bad person and stood up for gay people in her life, but is inherently limiting. Every queer identity she learns she has to sort of judge and come to terms with. She's a nice person and always does come around, but creating broader unity for queerness means that you're just willing to accept from the get go. And I get that he kinda, sorta arrives at this point, but does so by disregarding what is a political survival mechanism.

I agree with you that it's more eye-rolling than malicious, but as someone who grew up on Joe, I'll be honest that he made some transphobic jokes that while not necessarily hateful, prevented me from engaging after the first marathon. I think we get all or nothing in conversations. I can forgive Joe and admit that those specific comments are not the worst for a sixty year old man... but I don't want to engage with him either.

But that's not getting into the race stuff with him which is worse.

Timeless Appeal fucked around with this message at 13:19 on May 15, 2020

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Joe Bob writing for Taki's is unacceptable and unnecessary in any regard. Lumping him in with a child rapist in that article is pretty irresponsible. His latest article is lame, outdated, a severely lacks reasoning why people who had been murdered for their orientation in the past sought to compartmentalize themselves from society. That being said, his article isn't malicious as much as it's just ignorant. Saying that sexuality is fluid to a point beyond category is far preferable to those of his generation who believe in the strict reinforcement of two genders.

Granted that's an incredibly low standard

WeaponX fucked around with this message at 14:20 on May 15, 2020

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I'm a nonbinary pansexual queermo and I absolutely agree with the "8 billion sexualities" argument.

I'm not saying he's still a good person, I'm just commenting on that specific quote.

THAT SAID, he seems to miss that the primary reason LGBTQ labeling exists is to protect people.

He's right that, in a utopia, nobody would ever label themselves because who cares, but we do not live in a utopia

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I think the biggest problem Joe Bob has is this old-school attitude where you just never ever ever apologize for anything, ever. And writing some dumb ignorant words would be a great time to just offer a genuine apology and move on but he's had the opportunity to do that for almost a year now and he refuses.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Basebf555 posted:

I think the biggest problem Joe Bob has is this old-school attitude where you just never ever ever apologize for anything, ever.

Oh no.

Incredibly sexist? Low-key racist? Enjoys right wing publications? Never apologizes no matter what? I thought he was cool in the 90s, but learning more about him over the years slowly made me like him less and less? But there's still a part of me that can't help but love aspects of him and suspects there's still enough good inside to justify those positive feelings?

...Joe Bob Briggs is my father.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 15:15 on May 15, 2020

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Peak Performance.

Buglord
I work with a lot of guys that are like Joe Bob. In casual conversation, sure, you can justify their ignorance because even though they say something like "LGBTQRSTUVWXYZ", they end their rant with "...but whatever makes you happy, I hope you find love anyway." On the surface they're ignorant and uninformed, but generally well-meaning.

HOWEVER, without fail, there's always something more problematic under the surface (the Taki article, in this case) that make you realize that they're probably lovely deep down, and just cover their shittiness in platitudes in casual conversation.

For example, I know a guy who I always thought was pretty nice, even though he makes a lot of inappropriate jokes. But then the COVID stuff started happening and now he's pulling out the "nuke the bat-eaters because they ruined my summer trip to Cabo" talk. Behind every dog whistle, there's a dog airhorn waiting to blow.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

WeaponX posted:

Joe Bob writing for Taki's is unacceptable and unnecessary in any regard. Lumping him in with a child rapist in that article is pretty irresponsible. His latest article is lame, outdated, a severely lacks reasoning why people who had been murdered for their orientation in the past sought to compartmentalize themselves from society. That being said, his article isn't malicious as much as it's just ignorant. Saying that sexuality is fluid to a point beyond category is far preferable to those of his generation who believe in the strict reinforcement of two genders.

Granted that's an incredibly low standard

Yeah, the real unforgivable transgression is taking money from literal nazi website Taki's Magazine and providing content to Taki's Magazine that generates money for it. He would have been handing articles off directly to Richard Spencer, who was an editor there until 2010 or so. I'm sure they're not opposed to accepting tepid liberal takes in line with a conservative ethos in order to give themselves cover, but even if Joe Bob Briggs is a conservative liberal and not a nazi, he's still helping nazis reach a wider audience, which is the whole point of Taki's Magazine.

And his defense was "I write for lots of outlets that have all sorts of political positions. Don't tar me with who I associate with," which falls right into the old free speech absolutism position that the nazis had adopted 2015-2018.

I know that plenty of boomers and old gen x are free-speech absolutists because it was how weirdos and punks fought the moral majority and censorship efforts in the 80s, but it's an intellectually impoverished position and that's why nazis were able to exploit it to get mainstream crossover for a few years. What he is inside doesn't matter--only what he does.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

The problem with his LGBTBBQLOL article is that it comes to the same "we're all one race, the human race" conclusion people like to trot out when they want to complain that Black Lives Matter went a bit too far, and besides all lives matter, and also they don't even see color. It's a bog-standard "I don't even care so here's what annoys me" rant. I do think some of the labelling in the community is a bit counter-productive right now, mostly because it feels like we've hit a point where the mountain of labels and jargon contributes to confusion in identity and communication rather than aiding in them, but I didn't get the impression that's where Joe Bob was coming from in that article, even if he kind of feinted in that direction at the very end.

And yeah, don't write for nazi publications. That one's a gimme.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Yeah. I have a lot of mixed feelings about the queer community, but it's an Internet Problem, not a specifically queer problem

At least it's better than the 90s, when bisexual was a dirty word and Michael Stipe was just about the one person in media who even used the word pansexual.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Did Lloyd say “Tromartyr”

Also, was I just imagining things, or did Darcy seem a little cold about Lloyd’s appearance? What was up with that?

ruddiger fucked around with this message at 04:27 on May 17, 2020