Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
I really hope he doesn't stay too on topic and goes on random rants about Texas and the correct way to display silent films. Also hoping they use an outdoor set. There was something about being up at 1 AM and just watching that guy sitting out in the middle of nowhere and hearing crickets that really enhanced watching horror movies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
Yeah, it is not working for me either.

EDIT: According to their twitter, they're working on it.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
The site looks like it's stabilizing and it seems they're not streaming.

It looks like we're not missing content.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
Can they just turn off the little flickering effect for their letters on their site? That'll clear up bandwith right?

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
Man Shudder, gently caress you for sending out tweets about the movie that people can't see and including an image that spoils the ending of Sleepaway Camp for the people who can see the stream.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
Shudder announced it's rerunning the marathon next week.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Jose Oquendo posted:

Yeah there's definitely a demand for a hosted show. I think Svengoolie is the only game in town right now, but he's only on broadcast TV, so it makes it difficult for cord cutters to watch it. Plus it's 2018 so it's crazy there's no way to watch his show online. Maybe his people will make it happen.

But Shudder definitely can do a hosted show and they should.
I know I'll get some poo poo for this...

But James Rolfe kind of is the guy for it. He has the good encyclopedic knowledge of horror and monster films, knows how to do some decent amateur productions, his Halloween videos are pretty good, and he's good at ingratiating himself to people from the industry including Joe Bob. I feel like he'd get you the closest to what made Joe Bob good even if he doesn't have the natural charisma.

Timeless Appeal fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Jul 14, 2018

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
The We Hate Movies might be good at it too since they love horror and do good character work on their podcast.

I'm not sure how good their character work would be not in the context of the natural discussions that come up in their podcasts. But honestly what makes Joe Bob work so well for me is that he's informative on a pretty deep level. Like this marathon could have been him just talking about seeing movies in 1970s New York for 24 straight hours and I'd be as game. James can't offer the same, but he at the very least has an obsessive knowledge that tends to transcend Wikipedia.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

LesterGroans posted:

I rewatched some Monstervision stuff and realized how hard Joel McHale's The Soup cribbed from it.
The Soup is a follow up to Talk Soup which started in 1991. Briggs started TV hosting in 1986. It's possible Talk Soup cribbed from him, but it's likely that the similarities are a coincidence.

quote:

I like Rolfe well enough, but he doesn't have the knowledge to pull something like that off. All of his observations are pretty surface level stuff, but he's so amiable and laid back that you don't tend to mind.
The counterpoint I'd make is that I'm pretty sure he somehow convinced Lloyd Kaufman to be in an Angry Video Game Nerd video. Briggs also seems to like Rolfe.

Like I don't think you can ever get someone is what Briggs is because Briggs was actually there. But I do feel like Rolfe could have a similar knack of getting fun interviews.

Timeless Appeal fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Jul 17, 2018

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
I'm not arguing that the guy isn't a huge manchild and doesn't have flaws.

I think in terms of encyclopedic knowledge, genuine enthusiasm for the genre, and an apparent ability to ingratiate himself with good interview subjects, he oddly gets the closest to what Briggs is.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Before that nazi poo poo I kind of figured he was at least leftish in the sense of being accepting of outcasts and pariahs instead of hooting and cheering when the cops break their heads open for opposing nazis.
From my experience, the thing with people who were young in 70s and 80s alternative scenes is that they were driven by a pretty shallow definition of acceptance. Of course they didn't mind chilling with black folks or gay folks, but without reflection on privilege or complicity in systems of oppression. It was an ideology of being opened minded that put your mere interaction with the marginalized as some sort of heroic feat that also meant that acceptance for people with some gross beliefs because acceptance in itself is the virtue. And that often meant not recognizing that you've absorbed some of those lovely beliefs.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
As a non-binary person currently super questioning both my gender identity and how that defines my sexual identity, I'm not super offended by that specific Briggs article because it seems well meaning and going for lower tier George Carlin jokes. The questioning piece is really stupid though. I feel like a lot of people have had moments where they had a crush on someone who presented in a way they didn't usually identity as being attracted to.

But it's also, ya know, mad ignorant. LGBTQA+ labeling has always existed to prevent gatekeeping and build coalitions. People are lovely and don't fall into easy boxes. Go back even fifteen years, and it was easy to find people who were cool with gay people, but still lovely about bi or pan people and definitely trans people. Go look up Dan Savage's bullshit on not wanting Ace people to march in Pride.

I remember Obama pointed out before he stepped down how it seems like the movement for trans inclusion seemed incredibly rapid which is both true and absolutely not true. But that perceived speed is because the broader bucketing of it being okay to be queer in general meant that people didn't think in terms of "Most people bang the opposite gender, but sometimes they don't and that's also fine" to "People can define their gender and sexuality in a lot of ways and that's fine." The former was a stance from people like my mom who was not a bad person and stood up for gay people in her life, but is inherently limiting. Every queer identity she learns she has to sort of judge and come to terms with. She's a nice person and always does come around, but creating broader unity for queerness means that you're just willing to accept from the get go. And I get that he kinda, sorta arrives at this point, but does so by disregarding what is a political survival mechanism.

I agree with you that it's more eye-rolling than malicious, but as someone who grew up on Joe, I'll be honest that he made some transphobic jokes that while not necessarily hateful, prevented me from engaging after the first marathon. I think we get all or nothing in conversations. I can forgive Joe and admit that those specific comments are not the worst for a sixty year old man... but I don't want to engage with him either.

But that's not getting into the race stuff with him which is worse.

Timeless Appeal fucked around with this message at 13:19 on May 15, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Jose Oquendo posted:

As for Monstervision, they've been teasing it for a while. It's just the host segments as far as I'm aware, unless they have licensing deals for the movies. If it's just the host stuff, I figure it would be online only.
I would say that I would absolutely buy a blue-ray of Motel Hell or some such if they had the MonsterVision wraparounds on them.