Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Mega Comrade posted:

If Egypt want to excavate Egyptian tombs to put the artifacts into Egyptian museums then it's their right.

There is a case to be made about colonialism re: the Egyptians currently residing in Egypt and the ones who built those tombs. I mean, unless you're also of the opinion that US institutions have a unilateral right to dig up Native burial grounds for whatever reasons they deem proper.

I am not the one to make it, and I don't think the Tweeter is, either, but it's not quite that cut and dry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

more like a Barking Dog, woof!

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

There is a case to be made about colonialism re: the Egyptians currently residing in Egypt and the ones who built those tombs. I mean, unless you're also of the opinion that US institutions have a unilateral right to dig up Native burial grounds for whatever reasons they deem proper.

I am not the one to make it, and I don't think the Tweeter is, either, but it's not quite that cut and dry.

Hold on I'll get my calipers

morningdrew
Jul 18, 2003

It's toe-tapping-ly tragic!

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1313823809150087168

edit: meant to put this in the trump thread, although he's definitely an internet culture warrior

morningdrew has issued a correction as of 13:54 on Oct 7, 2020

Orbis Tertius
Feb 13, 2007

There we go

Orbis Tertius
Feb 13, 2007

GAT DANG MANIC CHEETO

Beached Whale
Jun 27, 2009

The world as will and idea

LAW & ORDER!

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.
He's got a new dose.

Zeppelin Insanity
Oct 28, 2009

Wahnsinn
Einfach
Wahnsinn
The rapidity with which this thread piles on non-right wing people having a weird in specifics but absolutely correct in general take is very weird. Like how a while back the thread just dumped for a few pages on BIPOC as a stupid lib term, instead of, you know, a term used by actual activists.

Was the phrasing weird? Sure. Were the specifics silly? Sure. But the dogpile is totally disproportionate. The general gist is absolutely true, and expecting someone angry to be 100% correct in wording when they're ahead of most of the world anyway feels really weird. It's a real thing that Western archaeology does not give a single poo poo about non-white people. I have seen so many popular articles and videos of "ancient mystery finally solved!" or "thing finally found!" and it's always some white guy bumbling into something that local archaeologists have known and written papers about for a long time. There's so much idolization of white people "unraveling the mystery" of poo poo that they never ask actual local people that are fully aware of it. Then there's robbing, defacing of artifacts etc.

You can't divorce modern Egypt from it having been colonialismed by the British and French to grow cotton when Southern US ports were blockaded during the American Civil War. As is the practice always, local institutions were eviscerated. Egypt was a loving occupied territory from 1882 to 1956. And then got immediately invaded by them again because they had upstart ideas about not being a colony.

If you don't think that such things shape institutions, the people in charge and overall approaches to stuff like archaeology then I dunno what to say. That poo poo's in living memory. The response has, overwhelmingly, been along the lines of "haha stupid idiot" rather than "incorrect but brings up good point".

Cultural erasure still happens every day.

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

no one is dogpiling because no one here is interacting with the woman herself. it’s a dumb take no matter the politics or race of the person making it. thanks for the essay though

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

mono posted:

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1313823809150087168

edit: meant to put this in the trump thread, although he's definitely an internet culture warrior

My mom's religious-as-hell hometown figured out how to hold church sermons safely. They're just looking for persecution.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

There is a common misconception that modern Egypt is both biologically and culturally majority Arabic.
Modern Egyptians are majority northern African descended so are the closest thing to ancient Egyptians we have. They have more right to those tombs than anyone alive today.

The same isn't remotely true for US institutions.

Mega Comrade has issued a correction as of 14:41 on Oct 7, 2020

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

before I let you in this tomb I will need a cheek swab to prove your racial purity lest you incur the pharaohs wrath

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

please knock Mom! posted:

Yeah, which is why I'm confused at the responses this tweet is getting ITT. The author speaks up in a dumb way but the core idea is absolutely right and it's ridiculous the BM still just exhibits looted stuff

Zeppelin Insanity posted:

Was the phrasing weird? Sure. Were the specifics silly? Sure. But the dogpile is totally disproportionate.

which part do you think people are laughing at? the dumb way the author is speaking, or the core idea?

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
me: lol look at this person who wrote 2,000 words about how we need to decolonize applebee's

woke cspam genius: could you please do a little research before you mock that kind of thing? the violent effects of colonization are still felt today, and one could easily make the argument that the us never stopped being a colonial power.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

little munchkin posted:

which part do you think people are laughing at? the dumb way the author is speaking, or the core idea?

I laughed at the dumb author too but decided to reply to the post by the goon with the anthropologist postdoc friend. Sometimes I post, sometimes I don't post. Maybe one day an anthropologist will figure out why

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Mega Comrade posted:

There is a common misconception that modern Egypt is both biologically and culturally majority Arabic.
Modern Egyptians are majority northern African descended so are the closest thing to ancient Egyptians we have. They have more right to those tombs than anyone alive today.

The same isn't remotely true for US institutions.

Yeah that was a dumb point. I should have stuck to “I shouldn’t weigh in on this.” My apologies.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

https://twitter.com/tophepahle/status/1313783502417076227

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

I like the part of that dude's rant where he complains about being treated like poo poo by Japanese doctors because he never cleaned his ears, and then is like "This was in 1987"

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

me, with a brown paper bag, narrowing my eyes as anthropologists approach the burial ground.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

who gives a poo poo about some dude who died 1000 years ago. take all his poo poo and put it in a museum

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

I wanted to check to see if any salafist types have advocated the destruction the pyramids

quote:

WORLD NEWS
NOV. 12, 2012 / 6:20 AM
Salafist leader wants Pyramids destroyed

CAIRO, Nov. 12 (UPI) -- A Salafist leader called on authorities to destroy the Pyramids and Sphinx in Giza, one of Egypt's famous tourist sites, saying the "idols" must be removed.

"All Muslims are charged with applying the teaching of Islam to remove such idols as we did in Afghanistan when we destroyed the Buddha statue," the Egypt Independent quoted Murgan Salem-al Gohary as saying in an interview on Egyptian Dream TV during the weekend.

Gohary, described as a Jihadist leader who advocates violence and has links to the Taliban, was sentenced twice under former Egyptian President Hosni Mubarak and fled to Afghanistan where he was injured during an American airstrike, the Egyptian daily said Monday.

In 2007, he traveled to Syria and was handed over to Egyptian authorities. An Egyptian court ordered his release from prison after Mubarak's downfall, the newspaper said.

Salafist Muslims view statues and sculptures as prohibited to Islam, Ahmed Osman, an Egyptian author on ancient history, told al-Arabiya.
https://www.upi.com/Top_News/World-News/2012/11/12/Salafist-leader-wants-Pyramids-destroyed/30571352719234/?ur3=1

this guy is basically a poo poo poster, so take it with a grain of salt. fits the thread though!

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

we shouldn't even bury people

just take the dead bodies and let horny weirdos pump 'em full of loads and then throw 'em in the dump or something idc

the gently caress's a dead body good for anyway lmao

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

sugar free jazz posted:

before I let you in this tomb I will need a cheek swab to prove your racial purity lest you incur the pharaohs wrath

sugar free jazz posted:

me, with a brown paper bag, narrowing my eyes as anthropologists approach the burial ground.

Tell me more about reverse racism

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

Pththya-lyi posted:

absolutely incredible this forum owns lmao

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Marx Was A Lib posted:

we shouldn't even bury people

just take the dead bodies and let horny weirdos pump 'em full of loads and then throw 'em in the dump or something idc

the gently caress's a dead body good for anyway lmao

Finally, sex!

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
someone melting down and going full racial purity over the innocent take archeology has issues with ethics is happening in at least the right thread

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
It's about ethics in mummy raiding

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

We should go back to eating mummies for health benifits.

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

CharlestheHammer posted:

someone melting down and going full racial purity over the innocent take archeology has issues with ethics is happening in at least the right thread

you are quite possibly the stupidest person to post on these forums and i'm delighted you continue to prove it

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

IÃÂÃŒÂÌ° Ó̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉mÃÂ̺̩ Ç̬A̡̮̞̠ÚÉ̱̫ K̶eÓgÃÂ.̻̱̪̕Ö̹̟

a Loving Dog posted:

you are quite possibly the stupidest person to post on these forums and i'm delighted you continue to prove it

As a really stupid idiot, this is a load off my mind

salisbury shake
Dec 27, 2011
pro-click if you're here to see an internet culture warrior self-own

https://twitter.com/DrKarlynB/status/1313829955525054470

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
tongue that dusty butthole

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

that’s a good self own. thanks

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

Pththya-lyi posted:

lmao

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken

salisbury shake posted:

pro-click if you're here to see an internet culture warrior self-own

https://twitter.com/DrKarlynB/status/1313829955525054470

Reminder that Borysenko pretty much bought her "phD" from a barely accredited for profit fake university.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

This is like when Don Jr tweeted out the emails and Wikileaks DMs like that would exonerate him.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Afrocentrism is dumb even if it stumbles into correct (or once-correct) criticism of archeology.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

perhaps the same could be said of all centrisms

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I feel like "(once-correct)" will always be correct at least until the Elgin Marbles are returned to the Acropolis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

I feel like "(once-correct)" will always be correct at least until the Elgin Marbles are returned to the Acropolis.
brexit means brexit and we have sovereignty now sooooo we'll pawn them off for a few euros by the end of 2021. the greeks'll have to outbid hobby lobby or whoever though.