Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

skyward sword's Silent Realms were definitely phanto chase material too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

the entire game Out of this World.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Trying to run/hide from the creatures in SOMA while your screen gets all hosed up

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Pablo Nergigante posted:

When I first played RE3 I didn't know Nemesis encounters were scripted, I thought he could literally appear anywhere so the whole game was one big Phanto Chase

Hell yeah

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Nemesis is a good one of these because they seem unkillable until you take them on and the more you whip their rear end the stronger you both get. Feels like a proper Goku/Vegeta dynamic.

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

when you get the Storm Warning in jurassic world evolution

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Scott Baio Nudes posted:

enemies you cant kill are the worst e.g dead space and dry bones

stretches of time where you can't kill something are ok if you can eventually kill them

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

You can kill dry bones in several of the games too...

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

you can kill anything with a StarMan

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

that thrill of the "bwicka-bwicka-bwicka!!" sound as you charge through a horde or enemies in Super Mario Bros. 3, gritting your teeth to hope that you can hear the One Up sound.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
For me the best phanto chase I can recall os my first encounter with the Asylum Demon in Dark Souls because I was playing it blind and didnt know about the door you could get to so I spent my first five minutes just trying to stay away. The rush I felt during that was awesome.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

When the enemy in a RPG uses abilities like Kefka's Heartless Angel and puts your HP at one point and you desperately race to heal before he can follow up and kill your party.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Also my first time playing MGS3 for basically the same reason. I never saw anyone play it and just was so cautious and slow moving due to fear of failing. Great initial ecperience because my brothwr was also watching me play and making me question everything I chose to do.

When I played Arma 2 on a milsim server it was also pretty tense because we wanted to do things specifically in a certain way and when we did it right it felt great.

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Jun 27, 2018

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Mekchu posted:

Also my first time playing MGS3 for basically the same reason. I never saw anyone play it and just was so cautious and slow moving due to fear of failing. Great initial ecperience because my brothwr was also watching me play and making me question everything I chose to do.

Getting shot at by The End and seeing your stamina bar drain and you have no idea where that old man is...

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I cussed so much at him until I figured out how to beat him. Same with in MGSV with the snipers at the mansion.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
the annor londo run in DS1, after getting past the first two snipers and then dealing with the sword and shield knight right before the ledge

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Mekchu posted:

For me the best phanto chase I can recall os my first encounter with the Asylum Demon in Dark Souls because I was playing it blind and didnt know about the door you could get to so I spent my first five minutes just trying to stay away. The rush I felt during that was awesome.

the first time i played earthbound (on an emulator in college), i used paula's pray, but it didn;t work, so i figured "well, this doesn't work, i just have to beat him." so i kept trying to beat giygas and losing repeatedly but i was determined not to use a walkthrough, and it had been like two hours of loading the same save state and gigyas just laughing at me. i had a weird roommate at the time who ran all these weird loud fans, so i hadn't slept in like 36 hours, and i had a neuroscience exam the next day and i was trying to convince my roommate to stay at his girlfriend's and trying to turn it off for the day, and then suddenly my ex, who had just started talking to me again and things were awkward, IMd me, but she had a broken AIM client that made her messages repeat over and over again, so she just IMd my name 3-4 times in a row, followed by "I'm so cold, i'm so cold, i'm so cold" and i thought my ex girlfriend was giygas and i got so terrified i asked a friend if i could stay in her room for the night. i got a D on the neuroscience exam.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Alien: Isolation is basically a 20 hour long phanto chase

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Encountering a Metabble or Metal Slime, especially if they don't run their first turn.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Getting into a random battle mere steps from a town or inn when your party is battered and broken.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

When I played Final Fantasy 1 I went into Lich a little underleveled and beat him but it wiped my entire party except for my white mage who had no mp left. The trek back through the dungeon was one of the tensest moments of my gaming career

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

GorfZaplen posted:

When I played Final Fantasy 1 I went into Lich a little underleveled and beat him but it wiped my entire party except for my white mage who had no mp left. The trek back through the dungeon was one of the tensest moments of my gaming career

My very first playthrough of Dark Souls 1 I was in Blighttown and got completely lost. I activated the first bonfire in the upper part of the city and made it all the way to the poison swamp with no estus and near death. I was freaking out looking for a bonfire and I totally missed the one that was right there in the swamp and I had a bunch of souls I didn't want to lose. I actually managed to find the elevator and made my way up and reached the back exit. I remember how excited I felt when I entered New Londo because I recognized the area and knew that Firelink Shrine was nearby. My excitement was short lived as I plunged down the elevator shaft to my death because I forgot to pull the lever to call the elevator down.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
early game morrowind, finding a huge haul of treasure, but getting grave cursed by a bonewalker, so you have to strategically dump stuff and then try to make it back to civilization without dying while remembering where all your extra loot is

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Kongming posted:

My very first playthrough of Dark Souls 1 I was in Blighttown and got completely lost. I activated the first bonfire in the upper part of the city and made it all the way to the poison swamp with no estus and near death. I was freaking out looking for a bonfire and I totally missed the one that was right there in the swamp and I had a bunch of souls I didn't want to lose. I actually managed to find the elevator and made my way up and reached the back exit. I remember how excited I felt when I entered New Londo because I recognized the area and knew that Firelink Shrine was nearby. My excitement was short lived as I plunged down the elevator shaft to my death because I forgot to pull the lever to call the elevator down.

Lol, but ouch

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

sector_corrector posted:

early game morrowind, finding a huge haul of treasure, but getting grave cursed by a bonewalker, so you have to strategically dump stuff and then try to make it back to civilization without dying while remembering where all your extra loot is

Jesus

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

HORMELCHILI posted:

when you get the Storm Warning in jurassic world evolution

When you get the Storm Warning in Fortnite Battle Royale

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.

GorfZaplen posted:

Getting into a random battle mere steps from a town or inn when your party is battered and broken.

when your survivors are poisoned and you are out of antidotes so you get a screen effect or sound queue every other step

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.
hearing a chainsaw in re4

SoR Blaze
Apr 12, 2006
Wandering through a new area in an SMT game and you push past a little further than you know you should go and you run into a Fiend, and you realize your last save was like an hour ago. Time to achieve gamer apotheosis

Xbox Ambassador
Dec 23, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT BEING THE BIGGEST CRYBABY ON THE FORUMS
Crying when Nemesis chased me through doors and burst through walls in RE3, crying when Mr X chased me in RE2

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

When you suffer a critical hit in Earthbound or Mother 3 and you start mashing through menus and battle text as fast as you can so that you can heal in time. When both your healers get hit, trying to select the right options is like fumbling to put the right key in the lock when the murderer is half a block away

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
The cat imsilent hill 1 is one of the only good uses of a jump scare in any medium, mentioned previously in the htread

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

The hag right before the Ludwig boss room that exists only to pre-tighten your sphincter before the fight

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

You either have to kill it and hear her horrible scream, or get chased and see her do the grab animation just as you get past the boss fog. loving horrible

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

[quote="“Xbox Ambassador”" post="“485508425”"]
Crying when Nemesis chased me through doors and burst through walls in RE3, crying when Mr X chased me in RE2
[/quote]

What if they both chased you at the same time, in a game where you weren’t expecting it either.

Xbox Ambassador
Dec 23, 2004

net cafe scandal posted:

What if they both chased you at the same time, in a game where you weren’t expecting it either.

Ah, the duke nukem ability.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

The ability to drop both Nemesis T-Type and Mr. X into a Duke Nukem game and cause him to drop the tough guy facade and scream and hide and beg for his life.

Neurotic Roleplay
May 20, 2005

net cafe scandal posted:

You either have to kill it and hear her horrible scream, or get chased and see her do the grab animation just as you get past the boss fog. loving horrible

gently caress

Xbox Ambassador
Dec 23, 2004

Sucking Mr. X Dick for a Powerup

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

When the music changes in Phoenix Wright and you think one of your friends committed the crime....

• Locked thread