Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

http://darkageofcamelot.com/

The first 20 levels of my time in Dark Age of Camelot was seriously just killing creatures that looked like garden gnomes. :v:

Here is a thread for another MMORPG that no one plays.

DAoC is an MMORPG from 2001. I always wanted to play this title back when it first came out but I was in high school and so did not have the money. Now having disposable income and feeling tired of the current major MMORPGs that are overloaded with too much content, I decided to seek out a classic MMORPG. Dark Age of Camelot came back on my radar because the game is essentially stuck in the early / mid 2000s still. The level cap is 50 and very little in the way of updates are still being made to the game. With the exception of the title going free to play later this year.

Another thing I like about the game is how there are three Realms; Albion, Hibernia, and Midgard. What I like about this is that each Realm has its own unique leveling zones, races, and classes to choose from. This gives a lot of incentive to make alts to check out what each realm has to offer. Currently I am playing on Ywain and have a level 28 Valkyrie. DAoC also use to be pretty unfriendly to more casual players, but this has completely changed. Leveling is faster as the focus is really on the player vs. player. You even get one free level up for each character every 5 days, so this is great for alts. There is also a new player quest line every 5 levels up until about level 35 that gives a lot of good gear, and at level 50 you are given free gear to get you started on your quest towards PvP and doing the battlegrounds.

Classes
Albion:
Armsman
Cabalist
Cleric
Friar
Heretic
Infiltrator
Mauler
Mercenary
Minstrel
Necromancer
Paladin
Reaver
Scout
Sorcerer
Theurgist
Wizard

Hibernia:
Animist
Bainshee
Bard
Blademaster
Champion
Druid
Eldritch
Enchanter
Hero
Mauler
Mentalist
Nightshade
Ranger
Valewalker
Vampiir
Warden

Midgard:
Berserker
Bonedancer
Healer
Hunter
Mauler
Runemaster
Savage
Shadowblade
Shaman
Skald
Spiritmaster
Thane
Valkyrie
Warlock
Warrior

Things I don't like? The UI is awful, and the controls are outdated. The UI has very little to no customization and was designed with low resolutions in mind. This is especially obvious with the world map where you can't make out many of the details, and there's no tooltip pop ups. Most quests will be marked on the map, but it's difficult to see the markers a lot of the time, and they don't tell you which quest is which. Supposedly Mythic is working on a UI update / overhaul for the game, but I have no idea how far they are going to go with this or what they can do with such an old game.

That said i'm really enjoying this game and wondering who else here is playing if at all? I seem to have a thing for playing MMORPGs that no one else is. I've never ran into another player in DAoC. I hangout in the official Discord that Mythic has going, but it's only people complaining and waiting for Camelot Unchained closed beta to start, which is the sort of spiritual sequel to DAoC since it's literally started by the original founder and creator of Mythic Entertainment and DAoC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

Man, I have some very specific and no doubt rose-colored memories of this game from back in the day. I was whatever race the big goofy guys in Hibernia were and played a Warden. I remember scouring forums to figure out the best way to use my "bubble", which was the wardens main feature, camping a tiny island until a specific bear appeared (first "camp" ever for me) for a quest, and getting introduced to the idea of crafting in an RPG, something I've gravitated towards ever since. Also, getting owned in PvP and hating it, something I've then avoided in MMOs ever since as well. This was probably the second MMO I ever played after Asheron's Call.

When is it going free to play? I might want to go on an nostalgia tour someday.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

It goes free to play sometime this fall, but I don't think there's an exact date yet. I hope it draws in more people, it would be cool to see this game be popular again. The setting, races, and classes are awesome but DAoC has a pretty steep learning curve in comparison to more modern day MMOs.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

The free to play aspect doesn't look very promising. You get one slot, from a choice of 4 classes they've picked and you can't go higher than 3L9. I dont even think you can trade gear and the amount of exp and rps you gain is severely limited.

Just play uthgard if you want a nostalgia tour or wait for Pheonix. Broadsword have flipped all the classes and abilities on their heads. Then you get rolled by rr10-15 players because that's all who play anymore.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You
FTP now delayed to 2019.
http://massivelyop.com/2018/06/25/dark-age-of-camelot-delays-its-free-to-play-shift-to-2019/

Is that PVE server still up? Never got to try the games PVE very much.

Twlight
Feb 18, 2005

I brag about getting free drinks from my boss to make myself feel superior
Fun Shoe
I dip into daoc from time to time, it can be fun i mostly solo however, and having a high rr character does make things a lot easier. I exclusively play Albion however, if you're in game i can help with gear and pots and such if anyone needs. The producers letter goes into more details here about F2P as well as some of the patch ideas:

http://www.darkageofcamelot.com/article/producers-letter-summer-and-fall-outlook

I do feel like the extra currency while going in a decent direction ( most pve now is either impossible due to the amount of people required as well as the time investment ) or locked behind time based events ( such as their winter dungeon event ) However they've came out with two separate quest lines in the last two years, with a chapter a month. which is ran pretty frequently and can get you mostly up to speed. That, plus the upgraded starting gear from the kings room can get you up and going pretty quickly.

Digital Prophet
Apr 16, 2006

"..and then came the black crow, herald of doom, who foretold the coming of death."

quote:

This gives a lot of incentive to make alts to check out what each realm has to offer.

I don't know how it behaves now, but originally you could only play one realm per server, I guess to keep people from jumping around in RvR or spying or whatever. So you had to join a different server if you wanted to alt on a different realm- and of course all your friends who joined the game when you did are still back on the other server.

I miss DAoC sometimes, but I also remember all the obnoxious poo poo, like the Trials of Atlantis expansion, and literally all the content that came with it. Or having to grind pygmies for loving days. Or standing in a dungeon and suddenly your pet disappears through the floor. Uh oh! Don't worry he's on his way back, pulling the whole dungeon with him right to your cloth wearing, cabalist rear end.

Buuuuut, DAoC still has the best buff system I've seen in an mmorpg with the cleric buffs that were semi permanent and used a portion of your max mana. And there weren't very many "activate this to gain X for 4 seconds!" abilities, which are the loving worst, and pretty much a staple in every mmorpg now. A good example is stealth- which DAoC (and CoH) did correctly as a toggle- rather than the dumb time limited poo poo we have in everything now. Don't want to have to add a perception score to your mmorpg in order for characters to see other stealthed characters? Don't worry, just make it a 4 second ability. Now its balanced without all that extra work!

I'm kind of tempted to play this again, the more I talk about it, except that I know the UI will bother me until I quit again. Last time I played it was better than it was, but they had just tacked on a lot of quality of life enhancements with duct tape and epoxy and it was janky as all hell.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Gawain The Blind posted:

I don't know how it behaves now, but originally you could only play one realm per server, I guess to keep people from jumping around in RvR or spying or whatever. So you had to join a different server if you wanted to alt on a different realm- and of course all your friends who joined the game when you did are still back on the other server.

It's still one realm per server, but Ywain 1 - 10 are all connected. So what you are talking about can still happen. Then there is Gaheris which is a co-op server where all realms can play together.

Twlight
Feb 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
There are a fair few custom ui’s now. I use ghost ui and I think it cuts a lot of the clutter and allows you to customize what you want to see.

Should be able to find it in here

http://www.postcount.net/forum/showthread.php?166601-Gor-s-Ghost-UI-1-119-Update-**1-22-update-**/page3

Orv
May 4, 2011
I said you're like the ADL of dead MMOs. I'm sorry.

kzin602
May 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I played DAoC for a couple years after playing Asheron's Call, as a Warden. There was a lot of interesting class ideas but the core game-play was just too grindy for me. Camping a spawn and pulling just to slowly watch your EXP bar go up was too much and the PVP (at least back when I played) required too much of a tedious PvE treadmill to become competitive in.

After losing a roll on an item after an extremely long and rather boring fight in the Atlantis expansion, I realized that all the current batch of MMOs were a huge waste of time, and was tired of needing to spend time time finding a group just to farm some midgets to get my alt up to a playable state.

I appreciate people's nostalgia for simplicity but more modern MMOs with dungeon queues and lots of quest-givers feel like you can accomplish something in a 30 minute play session.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
Coming off EQ and AC, I felt like DAoC was much easier to grind. But yeah nothing beats the easy grind of most post-WoW MMOs.

Here's a picture I took of Albion's derpy dragon back in 2003:

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

I'm pretty keen to give this a go when it is F2P. I haven't played live since Atlantis.

SERPUS
Mar 20, 2004
I still play at least once a year for a few months.

sevenflow
Jun 28, 2003
just watch it for a second
This was my first serious MMO. I played EQ until L7 or something, but spent summer break one year getting my Mercenary up to 50. Quit by the time Atlantis rolled around, but Darkness Falls, RvR, and hundreds of people wiping weekly to the last boss in Caer Sidi (never did complete it) are some fond memories. I'd love to play again if/when there's a group for it.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

If anyone plays Uthgard on Albion, I have a level 50 minst/theurg and a 48 paladin.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Kazvall posted:

If anyone plays Uthgard on Albion, I have a level 50 minst/theurg and a 48 paladin.

I could make an Albion character on that server. Right now I have a Valkyrie that is level 48, and a Hunter that is 30 on Ywain. I am going to just get my Valkyrie to 50 with free levels. Focusing on my Hunter right now. I want to roll a Necromancer.

sevenflow
Jun 28, 2003
just watch it for a second
Does anyone do PvE on Uthgard or is it mostly all RvR?

Jove Tone
Jan 12, 2006

Before I quit playing my guild was doing weekly dragon raids and because there is no quick way to level there are always xp groups running.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

TBH uthgard is real slow for the summer. Meaning there aren't as many pre-40 groups right now. Lots of crazy people prefer making alts or power leveling to pvp, though. And obviously a necro is the best solo class on the server.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I wish Gaheris had access to Battlegrounds. On that server it's disabled until level 45 where it's just a new form of PvE raids. The trade off is that you get access to all dungeons and zones in the game regardless of your Realm choice, but leveling and obtaining gear is slower then Battlegrounds. The dungeons drop some pretty cool looking weapons though, I got a flaming 2 handed sword a few days ago for my valkyrie. :black101:

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

That's why I miss Mordred(the pvp server).

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004
ONCE YOU POP THE FUN DONT STOP
I got a hero to 49 on uthgard and remembered why I had such a hard time on that server before. Making money. Good lord is it a grind. And the chinese farmers/euro farmers charge an arm and a leg for plat on uthgard. And those fuckers will probably ban you for it.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I forgot uthgard is a free player shard. I don't know if that server has battlegrounds like on Live but if it does that is the best place to get gear and experience, is doing the PvE quests.

Jove Tone
Jan 12, 2006

The battlegrounds always seemed kind of dead.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Jove Tone posted:

The battlegrounds always seemed kind of dead.

That's a good thing unless you're doing PvP. On the live servers the 40+ battlegrounds at least are very active. The level 50 battleground still gets huge player battles going on.

Nissir
Apr 23, 2007
Man with no Title
DAOC is still had the best PVP experiences for me. Standing on top of a castle with an archer sniping people from what felt like miles away, or climbing up a wall with my infiltrator buddies and assassinating a bunch of clothies during a siege, or hanging out in a stealthie gank group, all better then any WoW battleground.

Twlight
Feb 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
it also definitely has the best solo PVP experience of any MMO bar none.

Jove Tone
Jan 12, 2006

They really got it right with the pvp zones still containing good pve spots and dungeons so theres always a reason to be in them.

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004
Yet no one has ever attempted to emulate or replicate daoc pvp systems. Blows my loving mind.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

PriNGLeS posted:

Yet no one has ever attempted to emulate or replicate daoc pvp systems. Blows my loving mind.

The only other MMO to try was by Mythic themselves, Warhammer Online. I would honestly still keep my subscription to that game if it were still going today. Sadly the free shards for that game are a total clusterfuck that barely work and are filled with drama.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
My brother played DAoC at the same time I did and he reminded me of something he felt MMOs don't seem to get anymore. He used to play a mercenary on galahad and at some point he gained something like real fame. He would actually lead keep assaults and relic raids at a time where maybe two guys had an iron grip because everyone else sucked (one of those leaders was an 11th dimensional chess douche who would do dumb poo poo like steal a relic and just move it around instead of taking it back to albion). He also did a lot of soloing in RvR, which is unusual for someone not playing a stealth class, but ended up kicking so much stealther rear end he could walk emain alone without being touched by a stealther.

These days, the only notoriety you really get is maybe world firsts and some sort of revenge trolling to post on youtube. He has played a number of other MMOs and never stood out as he did in DAoC. At best he was respected for being competent in whatever raid guild he was in.

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004

Freakazoid_ posted:

My brother played DAoC at the same time I did and he reminded me of something he felt MMOs don't seem to get anymore. He used to play a mercenary on galahad and at some point he gained something like real fame. He would actually lead keep assaults and relic raids at a time where maybe two guys had an iron grip because everyone else sucked (one of those leaders was an 11th dimensional chess douche who would do dumb poo poo like steal a relic and just move it around instead of taking it back to albion). He also did a lot of soloing in RvR, which is unusual for someone not playing a stealth class, but ended up kicking so much stealther rear end he could walk emain alone without being touched by a stealther.

These days, the only notoriety you really get is maybe world firsts and some sort of revenge trolling to post on youtube. He has played a number of other MMOs and never stood out as he did in DAoC. At best he was respected for being competent in whatever raid guild he was in.

It's the size of the servers these days. If I remember right, the biggest servers like Guinevere would have 5-6k online at peak times during the height of daoc. It was also just a different era in pc gaming. Things were more close knit and social. You had to make things to do. Not go fetch the million different premade things like achievements.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Also people are better at video games now

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

My Valkyrie is level 49 on the Live servers. :kiddo: Getting so close to my first level 50 and I think this weekend i'll be able to find the time to do it. The leveling really seems to slow down once you hit 45. I want to do the quests in the battleground but it's tough because players that have been around for years have the best gear and will gank you in a couple hits.

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

I said come in! posted:

My Valkyrie is level 49 on the Live servers. :kiddo: Getting so close to my first level 50 and I think this weekend i'll be able to find the time to do it. The leveling really seems to slow down once you hit 45. I want to do the quests in the battleground but it's tough because players that have been around for years have the best gear and will gank you in a couple hits.

CV is kind of a nightmare for leveling if you aren't super geared. You're probably better off doing TOA quests since they give truckloads of XP and also get you glass for artifacts.

(also side note for anyone leveling you should probably lock XP and stay in Molvik until you cap RR or at least get close to it)

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

I'm downloading this at the moment and I'm actually excited to see how things are these days. I used to have a Friar that I would solo RvR and it was great destroying stealth gankers.

e: rolled up a skald. all the icons are different which is throwing me off, and you can run more than one chant at once! black magic.

clone on the phone fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Jul 8, 2018

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

My Valkyrie is 50 now! Babies first 50. :kiddo: I want to get my level 35 hunter to 50 next and then work on a Vampiir.

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004
Song classes got a lot of love. They're a whole lot less annoying to play now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twlight
Feb 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
drat this thread:

I re-upped on alb usually on Gnusong lets rvr!