Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ralconn
Aug 2, 2006

For anybody playing on Phoenix please pay attention to the tasks and bounty collection items. They will cut the leveling time by a ton.

Got my champion to level 41 now. Hoping to get 50 within the next week. If we can get at least 4 people on hib we can start up a guild.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prettypanda
Nov 11, 2008

What Hib class would you recommend if I played a zerker forever ago?

Ralconn
Aug 2, 2006

Zinjnok posted:

What Hib class would you recommend if I played a zerker forever ago?

Blademaster is the most similar class. Depends what you want to do though.

Prettypanda
Nov 11, 2008

Ralconn posted:

Blademaster is the most similar class. Depends what you want to do though.

I mostly just did 8v8 with a dedicated group and the occasional TG raid so if the play style is similar that’s what I’ll go for.

Twlight
Feb 18, 2005

I brag about getting free drinks from my boss to make myself feel superior
Fun Shoe
I wouldn't mind going back to live. For me I just don't see the pull of the free shards but if everyone decided to roll live again I may join back with you guys. Does anyone main Albion at all, on live?

Kak
Sep 27, 2002
I made a hib bard on phoenix. Name is Janer

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
My mentalist is 14 now. Everyone wants crack and hots.

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

My warden Hip Hop is 30 now. chugging along doing groups mostly.

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
Phoenix owns. We should start a guild.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

yeah I have this game installed and ready to go on phoenix but haven't made a character because there isn't a goon guild and I've never played it before, so the absurd number of classes is a little intimidating. i think i want to be a midgard shaman but it seems like most goons are hibernians?

Ralconn
Aug 2, 2006

So I'm going to hit 50 today on my Champion (Ralconn) on Hibernia.

My lessons learned from XPing.
-Throw out a '/lfg LFG XP' (don't need to be in the channel) right when you log in. If nobody bites, start to solo and do it every once and awhile. Bomb groups are the best way to gain xp imo.
-DO TASKS. Type '/task personal' to see all the task types available. Just do the level 1 tasks then move on to another task. These give you about a bub per task done at high level.
-Collect XP items. If you are on HIB go here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1bOgf4SDCl0VpS7-uRv-oMh_ypKlY83YM9_60YS-CaCM/htmlview?sle=true#gid=0 to get a list of all the locations. Basically you want to look for items where the minimum turn in is the level you are going for. Go out to the map given in column E and do a '/faceloc <cord1> <cord 2>' for the two numbers given. Typing '/loc' where tell you where you are now. Only pay attention to the first two numbers. For these items you can turn in 10 of any type. For each level, you are only allowed to turn in 10 items total, even if they are different types. At high level, turning in 10 will net you half a level.
-Buy/make pots to buff your guy. If you buy tireless and long wind from realm ranks an 'improved Elixir of Invigoration' will give you perma sprint.

Hit me up on Hib if you need anything. I can make pots with my alch, currently 641. There isn't a goon guild yet but I can invite you to the small one I'm in for now.

Ralconn fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Jan 26, 2019

Jessant
Jun 16, 2001

I did a Verdant Animist group for the first time today (viking4life). My poor dead gay MMO PVE content, even more broken and shattered and afk levelling than ever before.
If someone is trying to get people together to make a guild add Jonno too the list of characters.

Jessant fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Jan 27, 2019

Kak
Sep 27, 2002

Frog Act posted:

yeah I have this game installed and ready to go on phoenix but haven't made a character because there isn't a goon guild and I've never played it before, so the absurd number of classes is a little intimidating. i think i want to be a midgard shaman but it seems like most goons are hibernians?

Same, here I have no idea where to go, what to do, or where to allocate skill points at each level. All info I find is for live. I just got interested after dicking around in camelot unchained beta.

Ralconn
Aug 2, 2006

Just pick a class and start playing. If you are on Hib I can give you specific advice to that realm. There are infinite respecs until you hit 50 so just try points in everything and see what does what, there are no long lasting decisions. Realm timer is set for like 12 IRL hours so you can switch realms if you don't like one. If the class isn't what you are into just pick another one. A lot of the live stuff is still applicable to this game and the /advice channel is really helpful if you have specific questions.

I'd recommend the following Hib classes if you just want easy to do stuff.

PvE caster:
Enchanter (better in RvR), Animist (better in PvE)

Caster General:
Mentalist (heals, power over time regen), Eldritch (nuker, long range)

Melee:
Hero (main tank), Champion(dps/debuff tank), Blademaster (dps)

Healer:
Druid

/serverinfo will tell you who is playing what if you want to go one of whats considered to be a strong class.

Ralconn fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Jan 26, 2019

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Ralconn posted:

Just pick a class and start playing. If you are on Hib I can give you specific advice to that realm. There are infinite respecs until you hit 50 so just try points in everything and see what does what, there are no long lasting decisions. Realm timer is set for like 12 IRL hours so you can switch realms if you don't like one. If the class isn't what you are into just pick another one. A lot of the live stuff is still applicable to this game and the /advice channel is really helpful if you have specific questions.

I'd recommend the following Hib classes if you just want easy to do stuff.

PvE caster:
Enchanter (better in RvR), Animist (better in PvE)

Caster General:
Mentalist (heals, power over time regen), Eldritch (nuker, long range)

Melee:
Hero (main tank), Champion(dps/debuff tank), Blademaster (dps)

Healer:
Druid

/serverinfo will tell you who is playing what if you want to go one of whats considered to be a strong class.

is Druid equivalent to Shaman, with heals and buffs? it seems like they're pretty close to it. is there anything Hibernia has thats close to like, traditional Clerics or something?

how tough is it to solo as a healer, since that sounds pretty common?

also what about warden, they seem pretty neat, HoTs and buffs with melee combat

Ralconn
Aug 2, 2006

Frog Act posted:

is Druid equivalent to Shaman, with heals and buffs? it seems like they're pretty close to it. is there anything Hibernia has thats close to like, traditional Clerics or something?

how tough is it to solo as a healer, since that sounds pretty common?

also what about warden, they seem pretty neat, HoTs and buffs with melee combat

Druid is the primary stat buffer of the realm. It's similar to shaman though shaman have some extra buffs. Warden can definitely handle more combat but they are in this weird hybrid area. I might not recommend them for a first character though they are fun/doable.

If you do Druid you also get a pet to help you when soloing. I don't think it would be that bad but I haven't tried on Phoenix. I imagine it would be pretty easy to get groups too.

Jessant
Jun 16, 2001

Druids are B tier soloists with all your points in Nature, you wont find happy people in groups if you roll up with any Nature spec but thats ok because you can respec your points for free as many times as you like until you hit level 50 by visiting a Trainer and clicking the respec all button.

Jessant fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Jan 27, 2019

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Made a druid on phoenix hib, named Dongquixote. got him to level 6. for an MMO from the early 2000s I was impressed with the freeness with which it hands out equipment, the usability of said equipment for me even as a druid, the combat is acceptable and competently executed EQ-era tabbing but felt closer to WoW in terms of difficulty and pacing. all in all, I definitely dig it and will log in some more later. I put my points in Nurture and Nature for now, since they seem to be best for soloing, but I'll respec once I hit a level where I can group.

would be much more appealing with a guild though, someone do that!

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Frog Act posted:

Made a druid on phoenix hib, named Dongquixote. got him to level 6. for an MMO from the early 2000s I was impressed with the freeness with which it hands out equipment, the usability of said equipment for me even as a druid, the combat is acceptable and competently executed EQ-era tabbing but felt closer to WoW in terms of difficulty and pacing. all in all, I definitely dig it and will log in some more later. I put my points in Nurture and Nature for now, since they seem to be best for soloing, but I'll respec once I hit a level where I can group.

would be much more appealing with a guild though, someone do that!

A lot of the equipment stuff, etc, is quality of life changes made by the people running the server. It was definitely a bit more staunch back in the day. Gotta have people paying for subs and all.

Also as a druid you are probably the most wanted character in a group, in hibernia. Group as soon as you can, if that's what you'd like to do.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Frog Act, I'll try and catch you later tonight if you are on. And try to answer any questions about the game or the server that you might have. Daoc can be a bit overwhelming at first. Especially competing at a high tier in rvr once you've gotten through with the pve. In a lot of respects pve will get you ready for rvr. But then you're gonna be using skills you might have learned from other mmos such as kiting or pre healing.

Opinionated
May 29, 2002

Anyone still playing Midgard? I've thought about switching to Hib a few times but eh we'll see. If you guys stick around on Hib I'll join up.

35 now on my healer named Budz.

App13
Dec 31, 2011

I'm still on midgard with my shaman, but I'm thinking of rerolling on hib if folks will be playing there.

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004
ONCE YOU POP THE FUN DONT STOP

App13 posted:

I'm still on midgard with my shaman, but I'm thinking of rerolling on hib if folks will be playing there.

I'll let you in on a secret with goons and daoc, no one sticks around. Play where you want to be.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

PriNGLeS posted:

I'll let you in on a secret with goons and daoc, no one sticks around. Play where you want to be.

Pretty much

Opinionated
May 29, 2002

PriNGLeS posted:

Yeah, which is why I'm not trying to jump to Hib quite yet. Pretty sure I've played with some of you guys before, been a while. :)

Hit 48 on my Healer last night! Went 38-48 in one group... it was a long grind session.

Ralconn
Aug 2, 2006

I'm for sure going to make characters on other realms at some point. Probably starting with Mid.

It helps that I don't have to pay anything for this.

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
I played albion back in the early 2000's and always wanted to try hib. I have a few dudes going right now, honestly. I tried a few alb characters and now I think I'll give mid a shot.

Ralconn
Aug 2, 2006

Been doing some frontier RvR the past couple days and there is a ton of action. This is really refreshing compared to the ghost town that is live.

Opinionated
May 29, 2002

Agreed, the action has been pretty great. I'm still playing on Midgard! Mostly as my healer Budz and my thane Lahey. Was fortunate to get invited to a great guild, they know how to play, are cool and most importantly not elitist!

Who all is still playing this?

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

I messaged around with phoenix for a couple of hours this weekend.

Man, pre-wow MMOs were a wild ride.

Remember when every class didn't have to be shoehorned into exactly one of three roles?

I still think the big problem with MMOs these days is that they're all still cribbing the DnD phb from 1975 for class design.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

I'm still screwing around on Phoenix, got my Druid to level 10 and I'm wondering where to put my points. Should I be investing in the line that gives me more powerful pets and attacks mostly, buffs second, and heals rarely? It seems like I can put a ton of points into stuff without getting a new ability sometimes

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Frog Act posted:

I'm still screwing around on Phoenix, got my Druid to level 10 and I'm wondering where to put my points. Should I be investing in the line that gives me more powerful pets and attacks mostly, buffs second, and heals rarely? It seems like I can put a ton of points into stuff without getting a new ability sometimes

Most druids do a mix of healing (regrowth), and nurture (spec buffs). If you plan on only soloing you can surely spec nature. I'd try and get a group, though. You're the most wanted class in hibernia. Do /lfg exp, and watch the invites fly in.

I'd get regrowth to 7(cure poison and disease) or 15(better rez) to start, and probably pump up your buffs to better serve your group.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Kazvall posted:

Most druids do a mix of healing (regrowth), and nurture (spec buffs). If you plan on only soloing you can surely spec nature. I'd try and get a group, though. You're the most wanted class in hibernia. Do /lfg exp, and watch the invites fly in.

I'd get regrowth to 7(cure poison and disease) or 15(better rez) to start, and probably pump up your buffs to better serve your group.

Yeah evidently the first dungeon is around level 10; so I’m just soloing nearby while trying to find a group. It’s slowed down some but with free infinite respecs before level 50 it is easy to change things up

I also tried Enchanter which is cool and will be my go to alt I think, but for now I’d like to see what DAOC content is actually like past the generic 2001 tab target starting zone which was a great execution of that generic genre

I’m enjoying this game so if anyone else is playing I’m Dongquixote the Druid on Hib Phoenix I’m gonna stick with it for awhile I think

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

anyone know which version of Bob's UI I should install for Phoenix? and also, how to install it?

http://bobsui.koamon.com/downloads.html

anyway more goons should play this

Twlight
Feb 18, 2005

I brag about getting free drinks from my boss to make myself feel superior
Fun Shoe

Frog Act posted:

anyone know which version of Bob's UI I should install for Phoenix? and also, how to install it?

http://bobsui.koamon.com/downloads.html

anyway more goons should play this

It should work the same way as live: http://www.postcount.net/forum/showthread.php?126865-How-to-install-custom-UI

Kopitar
May 21, 2009
Been playing it a bit as well, have a 41 enchanter and started a Theurgist that's around 27

Ralconn
Aug 2, 2006

This thread needs more pictures!

Going to a Galla raid for some feathers

Hibernia basically owns all the keeps

Scary looking room

DF raid wiped by floating red man

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

This game is dope as hell and what I think I really like is that the community doesn’t give a poo poo what you’re doin really as long as you’re contributing some. Last night I went from 24-27 in a couple hours with another goon and since we had redundant healers I just melee attacked poo poo uselessly, but it was fine nobody seemed to care and I didn’t have to go respec. In contrast when I was playing FFXI there was a ton of pressure not to gently caress up in groups. Most people playing are chill and since you can get anywhere fast and there’s basically no death penalty everything is just kinda relaxing

PvP is also awesome, been running around Thidranki some. There’s a lot going on but suffice it to say we need 5 more goons so we can roll deep as a group

PegLegActual
Sep 11, 2001

Real Pirate. Real Amputee. Limping Through Life.
Can confirm Frog Act is a crazy melee battle druid.

For all you solo goons or those in inactive guilds... I'm in a large guild Hibernia side in a huge pvp alliance. The guild name is "Gold & Ale" and a very goon like environment..active Discord etc. I spoke to the GM and he's always happy to bring more active players onboard. The server is insane right now with the biggest RVR battles I've seen since release. Hop on the Phoenix forums and send a PM to Kaosfury or ask for a guild officer in-game. Alternatively, message me on Vigo and I'll find an officer for you. Don't go alone..its scary out there. I'll get you folks sorted out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

I’m down to join the guild, seems like having a solid pool of players to draw on for RvR is pretty important in this game and the other goon guild I’m in seems pretty empty. I’ll keep an eye out for you

Anyway played for 2 hours this afternoon and did a PBAOE group with a bunch of sanctimonious Frenchmen who were kinda huffy about a mushroom death, very specific positions, and when I found a stable master and was en route to our camp one kept talking to me like a dog and recommending I get glasses because I mentioned the small map so that was pretty weird, but it was well compensated for by getting to explore the big pvpve darkness falls dungeon. It’s a cool concept and super well executed for such an old game, but I didn’t see any pvp actually happening, just people talking about getting owned so it must happen

PBAOE is dope as hell and a cool mechanism for making PVE camp leveling less painful, went from 26-30 in probably an hour and a half

Been trying to figure out the broad strokes of Druid specs and it seems like nurture / rejuvenation in an even split is pretty good, lots of big heals without really sacrificing the buffs that make me useful. That being said I’m stalled out with like seven levels worth of points right now because I can’t decide which is better right this second, more efficient heals or new buffs - I’m often bumping my concentration limit when buffing a group, so I have to pick and choose, and the new buff line id unlock is for acuity which I don’t even see as a stat in my character panel. So two part question: what determines concentration and what is acuity for?

Also when a buff is to all magic skills does that include dex which is my most important casting skill or is it just from the right hand line of stuff like empathy and intelligence