Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Acuity applies to whatever your classes main casting stat is. As far as gear goes, it would give you empathy as a druid. As far as the acuity buff goes, I think it only works on casters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uguu
Mar 9, 2014

Frog Act posted:

. So two part question: what determines concentration and what is acuity for?

Also when a buff is to all magic skills does that include dex which is my most important casting skill or is it just from the right hand line of stuff like empathy and intelligence

Conc is determined by acui, which is emp for druid, and the 1 RA. Acui buff only works on list casters (classes with quickcast plus vw).

Skills are separate from stats, check your skills tab for this.

For pve, if pets are doing thé tanking go full nurt, as buffs increase pets dmg absorption.
Otherwise go mostly nurt. Not everyone needs all buffs.

Also thé french are always rude, but rarely Mean.

Edit: feel free to ask more questions, i don't play anymore, but i know too much about this Massive timehog

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Thanks. I think I'm starting to get a hang of the stats in general, they're kinda weird and unintuitive, which is kind of a general thing I've noticed at least with Druid. I've got like, a ton of healing spells with inconsistent names and an inscrutable hierarchy of differences in cast time/amount healed that are very small but significant in aggregate - there's so many different names for healing spells because the spec heals don't have the same names as the non-spec and none have the same name as its previous iteration. Like, spec big heals are named Revival, Regeneration, Regrowth, Restoration, Rescuscitation, Renascence, and Apotheosis and have a small number of icons and its a little :psyduck:

setting aside my quibble with the weird naming scheme I'm still really digging this game, Druid is up to 38 and while its mostly been easy PBAOE groups I've also had some interestingly frustrating experiences trying to level in Frontiers with people, including one where a Briton dude stalked me personally, alone, out of my group of eight, for like thirty minutes. he just killed me, waited for me to run back and our group to get pulling, then would pick me out of the group, murder me, and run off before anyone could respond. it happened like six times in a row before I gave up and left the frontiers, but since you can't port out, the dude was waiting for me by the entrance (next to like fifty other hibs) just to kill me, idk how he even could tell which druid I was since enemies get generic names

anyway, if I level an actual alt, it will be a ranger because I want to inflict that kind of misery on someone and I'm intrigued by the unique archery system I've never seen in an mmo before. it kinda reminds me of FFXI where a ranged attack with a bow is a distinct action that does extra damage rather than just a ranged auto attack

Ralconn
Aug 2, 2006

You ever want to go slay some Alb lowbies for revenge in the frontier Frog Act hit me up in game. I know the good spots and will definitely take you along for the ride.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Details of the Free to Play model on Live are available now:

Can play for free on the Ywain server.
Can obtain max realm rank.
Can earn Master Levels and Master Level Abilities.
Cannot earn Champion Levels or Champion Level Abilities.
Can fully participate in PvE encounters or quests and earn endgame loot but cannot earn existing alternate currencies.
Can obtain level 50 but cannot use the /rp off and /xp off commands.
The rate of character progression will also be limited.
Will have "classic" buffing rules.
EC-characters must stay in range and be grouped with any other character that they buff or are buffed by for the buffs to work.
Cannot use existing buff potions.
Can play on any pre-existing character of any class as long as the account was previously subscribed.
Newly created characters are limited to the following classes:
Albion:
Cleric
Friar
Paladin
Sorcerer
Mercenary

Midgard:
Shaman
Healer
Valkyrie
Runemaster
Berserker

Hibernia:
Druid
Warden
Bard
Mentalist
Blademaster

Cannot own or be given permission to access a house or guild house.
Cannot create a guild or be promoted to guild master.
Will have access to all tradeskills except Siegecrafting and Bountycrafting.
Will have access to all three realms on a single account.
One EC-account logged-in per person.
Will not receive veteran-based account rewards.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

lol Phoenix is going to kill live stone dead, that sounds like a crappy version of it with less players

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

Frog Act posted:

lol Phoenix is going to kill live stone dead, that sounds like a crappy version of it with less players

Phoenix has been doing gangbusters and that will be the nail in the coffin for sure

Lenny Nero
Apr 14, 2007

I'm the magic man...The Santa Claus of the subconscious
So what's the deal with Phoenix and buffing? As far as I understand one can't dual log, so are there potions similar to the Draught of Supremacy, Omni and Celerity or are people soloing unbuffed?

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

It has buff potions

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

It is super duper easy to find a group as well, I usually get like five invites immediately when I /lfg so I assume even a non-Druid/Bard/Mentalist/Animist can find something in short order

Also I got a staff with a unique name and a hot bar draggable regen buff built in, is it something I could sell for a plat or so maybe or even a few hundred gold

SoggyGravy
Jul 14, 2008

MAXIMUM
OVERGOON
Sorta hard to tell here but where are most people playing and is it on phoenix or live?

Also sidequestion: on Phoenix, why are there races that have no class and some classes that can't be selected no matter what?

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

SoggyGravy posted:

Sorta hard to tell here but where are most people playing and is it on phoenix or live?

Also sidequestion: on Phoenix, why are there races that have no class and some classes that can't be selected no matter what?

Phoenix is where everyone plays, the server is extremely active and the rvr zones are positively crowded, like running into some competition for camps crowded. Myself and a few other goons are Hibernia on there

As for the races they’re from expansions and not enabled on the server along with classes from expansions like Vampiir, Bainshee, and Mauler

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
I think of all the restrictions, not being able to own a house is the worst.

Houses are awesome.

SoggyGravy
Jul 14, 2008

MAXIMUM
OVERGOON

Frog Act posted:

Phoenix is where everyone plays, the server is extremely active and the rvr zones are positively crowded, like running into some competition for camps crowded. Myself and a few other goons are Hibernia on there

As for the races they’re from expansions and not enabled on the server along with classes from expansions like Vampiir, Bainshee, and Mauler

Forgot to ask - how do I contact you guys? Discord?

Ralconn
Aug 2, 2006

SoggyGravy posted:

Forgot to ask - how do I contact you guys? Discord?

I think the Hib goons are split up for the most part in different guilds right now so we don't have like a goon DAoC Discord. The official Phoenix Discord is https://discord.gg/tKRmc3s and you can always feel free to hit me up in game or on Discord under Ralconn.

I've always loved DAoC but playing live the past few years on live has been rough due to the population and the size of the new frontiers. The new frontier maps were just way too big for the amount of people playing. Phoenix actually has players on the other hand and uses the smaller old frontier maps so you can get into actual fights frequently. They just added teleporters to set locations as well if you capture flags and no enemies are in the area. I've pretty much only played RvR this week and there has been no shortage of action. Even went on a few relic raids.

Justaddwater
Jul 4, 2006

Been having a blast playing this over the last few days. Haven't played since like '03 but the QoL stuff they added makes the game super accessible. Main thing missing is a P99 like complete Wiki.

Justaddwater - Enchanter and Justaddheal Druid.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

once I hit 50 I'll definitely want to get in a guild with goons and do some pvp, as I need to get revenge for all the times I've gotten my poo poo totally pushed in trying to level up in the frontiers. I know Ralconn is in a big guild and someone else in the thread is also in a decently sized one, so it'd probably be good to just hop into one of those

Ralconn posted:

You ever want to go slay some Alb lowbies for revenge in the frontier Frog Act hit me up in game. I know the good spots and will definitely take you along for the ride.

I mean to ask about this, is there a motivation beyond spiting dudes for killing greys, or is it just part of the long tradition of tab target MMO pvp?

Xaitil
Aug 5, 2009

A friend and I are on Mid side of Phoenix, since Hib was torture to find groups if you aren't any of the PBAoE classes or Animist. Besides that the Phoenix server is great!

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

that doesn't seem to be the case anymore, my groups have had plenty of BM/Champs/Rangers/Nightblades, the only classes I don't really see much of are Hero/Valewalker. the borderline insane hib meta does make non-PBAOE or healing classes a little peripheral but everyone knows they're useful in pvp at cap and thus are willing to let them fill out slots

i understand the realm timer stuff and it would be a disaster to remove it, but I do wish I was able to try the other factions because hib is all weird mushroom stuff and celts with staffs

Rannison
Sep 18, 2007

Couple buddies and I are playing Mid side on Phoenix, for now at least. Just dinged my Sup SM 50 [and now get to figure out where/how to gear] and working on a Healer and Skald.

We joined <Mordred> mostly bc it was huge so we figured there'd be a lot of groups but some of the dudes are pretty cool

Ralconn
Aug 2, 2006

So for gearing up guys you want loki 1.4 from this site - http://www.syntheticrealms.com/loki_daoc/loki_download.php

Then you plug all your gear in and try to hit the caps (75 for stats, 11 for skills, 26 for resists) for all the important stats to your class. You want to try and max your resists out too.

For Hib you want to get the Gala chest with feathers (not sure the alternative on the other realms but the SI dungeon raid, costs 20,000 feathers which is like 2 full gala runs) that has the heal proc on it. All the other armor pieces should be crafted. For accessories, you should probably get the SI quest necklace that gives you +10% resist on 4 resists. The rest of your accessories should probably be 55+ utility and provide a good mix of the things you want to cap. Once you got the chest and all your accessories, you can use the oracle in loki to tell you how your crafted items should be set up then just give that info to a crafter.

At least that's how it was explained to me. I'm still in the process of getting my champion templated right now.

Ralconn fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Mar 1, 2019

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

How do feathers work exactly? You both have to go on the raid and have the feathers to get the items, but you can also trade feathers?

Also any tips on crafting, I figured out fletching but I don’t quite understand how the crafting systems interact with each other if at all. Is crafted gear ever good enough to actually use?

Twlight
Feb 18, 2005

I brag about getting free drinks from my boss to make myself feel superior
Fun Shoe

Frog Act posted:

How do feathers work exactly? You both have to go on the raid and have the feathers to get the items, but you can also trade feathers?

Also any tips on crafting, I figured out fletching but I don’t quite understand how the crafting systems interact with each other if at all. Is crafted gear ever good enough to actually use?

feathers seem to be a way to buy high end raid gear without having to get a good roll to grab that piece. You can trade feathers i guess and buy them, I'm not sure of the going rates at the moment.

Crafting can really drag eventually on live i made it to LGM alchemy but its a slog and expensive. It seems to make sure your suit is capped resist/stat/skill wise people are using crafted armor pieces. Currently on live the meta is either an ROG item or a single crafted item.

Ralconn
Aug 2, 2006

Feathers are acquired by killing high level mobs in certain areas, generally raid areas. You can additionally get them from RvR via keep captures and whatnot but the rate at which you acquire them for those types of activities isn't very high. If you are on Hib just keep an eye out in the advice channel for "Galla" raids. They generally happen multiple times a day. You have to be 45+ to join and 48+ to roll on items generally. If the server restarts all the raids restart as well so keep an eye out then. One Galla raid will net you like 10,000 feathers. I imagine the same thing is happening on the other realms too, I just don't know what they are called.

In Hibernia you can spend them by teleporting to Tir Na Nog then going out to the left from the portal point. There is a little garden area in the back of the building you port into that has various creatures lined up against the stairway. These creatures are the feather vendors and take feathers to buy items. The other vendors behind them let you modify the look of your equipment with bounty points that you acquire from PvP. The padding merchant is free though and can put like shoulders on your chest piece and stuff.

bongsnake
Jul 28, 2004
We're Jammin
Ugh, my boys from live rolled alb... I rolled a friar Slashstick GetSnared.

See you on the field.

edit: swank if you still live on planet daoc hit me up on steam man :smith:

bongsnake fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Mar 11, 2019

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
Phoenix is good. Very active pop and rvr. Even if you have never played the game people will help you out.

Play this old rear end game for free.

bongsnake
Jul 28, 2004
We're Jammin
Yeah this server is pretty much the best daoc has been since the end of ToA days. I'm on alb if anyone needs anything hit me up, atm I'm no lifing it so hard that I fear that I am becoming a goblin.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Almost got my NS to 50. Decided to quit doing pve and have been doing rvr tasks since 44. Only way to go. Having too much fun perfing people. The action is insane. There can still be like 2k people on at NA primetime.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

My Druid is level 48, I’ve been taking a break from grinding Finlaths to beat some single player stuff but I’m also going to try to hit 50 this week

I wonder if respeccing nature and hitting up Druim Cain / Druim Ligen for some pvp would be a fun way to do that, I’m a little tired of healing mushrooms

gepgepgep
May 22, 2006
I have rolled an SM named iloves on Mid...because I just couldn't bring myself to roll Hib with everyone.

I'm willing to accept giant stacks of XP items and/or buff pots/plat. :homebrew: App13, what was the name of the guild you're in so I can see about getting a social invite.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

Where do low level bards get their instruments? (Phoenix if that matters). I checked all the vendors I could find in the first two towns, and then ran around TNN a bit. I couldn't figure out where to get the drums or whatever to be able to play speed song. I probably won't go back to that char, I just wanted to zip around around exploring a bit and eventually found a hastener, but I'd still like to know if I missed it.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

bagrada posted:

Where do low level bards get their instruments? (Phoenix if that matters). I checked all the vendors I could find in the first two towns, and then ran around TNN a bit. I couldn't figure out where to get the drums or whatever to be able to play speed song. I probably won't go back to that char, I just wanted to zip around around exploring a bit and eventually found a hastener, but I'd still like to know if I missed it.

On this server instruments have been consolidated and all the songs can be played on a harp. Try checking the consignment merchant at the entrance of housing.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

Kazvall posted:

On this server instruments have been consolidated and all the songs can be played on a harp. Try checking the consignment merchant at the entrance of housing.

Ahh roger that, thanks.

gepgepgep
May 22, 2006
Anyone actively playing on Mid? I think the only character names I saw were Budz/Lahey and I haven't seen him on at all. So goon lonely.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

If anyone needs help in hibernia, you can find me on Kazvall or Zhulku tonight.

nousername
Mar 1, 2005
mainliner

I said come in! posted:

Details of the Free to Play model on Live are available now:

Can play for free on the Ywain server.
Can obtain max realm rank.
Can earn Master Levels and Master Level Abilities.
Cannot earn Champion Levels or Champion Level Abilities.
Can fully participate in PvE encounters or quests and earn endgame loot but cannot earn existing alternate currencies.
Can obtain level 50 but cannot use the /rp off and /xp off commands.
The rate of character progression will also be limited.
Will have "classic" buffing rules.
EC-characters must stay in range and be grouped with any other character that they buff or are buffed by for the buffs to work.
Cannot use existing buff potions.
Can play on any pre-existing character of any class as long as the account was previously subscribed.
Newly created characters are limited to the following classes:
Albion:
Cleric
Friar
Paladin
Sorcerer
Mercenary

Midgard:
Shaman
Healer
Valkyrie
Runemaster
Berserker

Hibernia:
Druid
Warden
Bard
Mentalist
Blademaster

Cannot own or be given permission to access a house or guild house.
Cannot create a guild or be promoted to guild master.
Will have access to all tradeskills except Siegecrafting and Bountycrafting.
Will have access to all three realms on a single account.
One EC-account logged-in per person.
Will not receive veteran-based account rewards.

I loved/love DAOC but their f2p vision is so stupid. no champion levels? Cool, have fun templating without any of the end game gear that requires CL15 (all the weapons/some of the chapter armor/etc). Also god phoenix tore live up and I finally gave in and cancelled all my macro team accounts except for 1. Hopefully pop will pick up soon, but these people on the internal forums and postcount claiming "FREE TO PLAY WILL BRING BACK SO MANY PEOPLE" are living a god drat delusion

gepgepgep
May 22, 2006

nousername posted:

I'm ready to come play on Phoenix.
This is how I read this. :hfive:

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Phoenix killed Uthgard and hopefully it will kill live, too.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

nousername posted:

I loved/love DAOC but their f2p vision is so stupid. no champion levels? Cool, have fun templating without any of the end game gear that requires CL15 (all the weapons/some of the chapter armor/etc). Also god phoenix tore live up and I finally gave in and cancelled all my macro team accounts except for 1. Hopefully pop will pick up soon, but these people on the internal forums and postcount claiming "FREE TO PLAY WILL BRING BACK SO MANY PEOPLE" are living a god drat delusion

I don't like their F2P option either. It should just be free to play with no restrictions to be honest. If I ever play again it'll be on live, but with a sub. Phoenix is great, but it's missing all of the quality of life improvements of Live, and some of the classes and other content. I want to play DAoC with everything intended to be there by the developer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJDace
Mar 23, 2005
Professional Idiot - When to comes to stupid, we don't fuck around!
My wife, brother-in-law and I are playing on Alb Phoenix - Cleric, Merc and Sorc. Not sure if anyone else is playing in Albion or if it's strictly Mid and Hib goons :)

If that's the case, we're at 45 now and should hit 50 within the week so I guess I'll mez you assholes in the near future.