Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

ded posted:

I have a bunch of old chars. It is seemingly random as to which ones I can actually use.

I was afraid my info might have been outdated. :negative: I swore that was the original plan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Kazvall posted:

Both my rr5 highlander paladin, and rr7 saracen minst are playable. My briton heretic is not. Probably because he doesn't have over 7 days played. I logged in the other night and there was a pitiful amount of people on. Not only that but I couldn't figure out how to find any sort of faction wide chat like there is on phoenix. Couple that with having no real sense of if my gear blows or not, I logged out pretty quick.

Pretty much my experience. And also most of my guys have full inventories and the reclaim vaults in housing are full of crap. They really locked down inventory space much like all f2p mmos tend to do, to force you to pay.

I said come in! posted:

I was afraid my info might have been outdated. :negative: I swore that was the original plan.

It's the info thats on the f2p page. It just seems to be a bit random. Like I have 2 rms on one server. One rm is playable the other isn't. One of my shaman is also not useable. But hey my Valk? Sure it's playable!

:wtc:

Really tho with Phoenix still going pretty strong there is zero reason to play live. At 10pm pst there was 70 people on mid live. On phx there was 140. And none (or very few they really crack down on dual logging) are bots.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

ded posted:

Really tho with Phoenix still going pretty strong there is zero reason to play live. At 10pm pst there was 70 people on mid live. On phx there was 140. And none (or very few they really crack down on dual logging) are bots.

I'm afraid that DAOC will die if this F2P change is not successful. However, Ultima Online is still going.

Danith
May 20, 2006
I've lurked here for years
How do you get in with your previous accounts? I try logging in and it says my accounts are closed and when I go to the account management screen there isn't anything about the endless trial, just the option to subscribe :(

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

Danith posted:

How do you get in with your previous accounts? I try logging in and it says my accounts are closed and when I go to the account management screen there isn't anything about the endless trial, just the option to subscribe :(

Gotta email support. Whatever they did to change accounts to Endless didn't work on all of the old ones, so some they have to change manually.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
If it's been a ~really~ long time you may also need to link the account with an EA account.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

My account has always been linked with EA, but I still can't login. I just get an error message that my account is closed. Very frustrating. Not sure how to convert it over to Endless Conquest.

Twlight
Feb 18, 2005

I brag about getting free drinks from my boss to make myself feel superior
Fun Shoe

I said come in! posted:

My account has always been linked with EA, but I still can't login. I just get an error message that my account is closed. Very frustrating. Not sure how to convert it over to Endless Conquest.

Try joining their discord, many of the company folks are there and may be able to give you a hand.

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004
ONCE YOU POP THE FUN DONT STOP
Last I checked Phoenix was still pulling over double the population of the live servers during peak times (1-3 pm CST on Saturday/Sunday) 500-600 vs 1200-1400, not accounting for buffbots and multiboxers - of which phoenix has none, and about 75% more during NA prime time. 200-250 vs 320-500.

I certainly fear for the future of Live, and even Phoenix has been steadily dwindling since the initial rush died off.

It really doesn't seem that Endless Conquest has brought in any appreciable numbers and I would be very surprised if any it did bring in were new players.

It's a bummer.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

That is because Endless Conquest is so inaccessible. 6+ month wait to play free after being subbed, 24 hour wait to login after creating a free account. It started at 2 weeks at first. What a poorly thought out disaster. This poo poo show was delayed an entire year in order to get it right. The devs just dont care.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
threads not archived, thread gets a post

been goofin around on live for a month or so, got hit by the nostalgia bug. recovered my old account with like ten 50's, a bunch of 40-48's and literally dozens of bg noobs. the game is everything i remembered, beauty, warts and all. i like some of the class changes theyve done and it's super refreshing that artifacts arent the be all end all like they were back in the day - and theyre easily buyable instead of grinding toa.

all my old friends are gone but i made some new ones and joined a decent guild that rvrs for a couple hours most evenings. i just log on a couple nights a week and run with them till i get tired or annoyed or happy with how many rp's ive made. we're usually done by like 9pm local time so it's not really killing my IRL like it did back in the day when i played 40h a week. oh also everybody's like rank 12 it's insane. i have a pile of rr5's and am focusing on my sorc who just broke into rr6. i fuckin love the sorc changes that evidently showed up a couple years ago and am running 50 mind 20 body.

i didnt learn about phoenix till after i reactivated and now i think i'd kinda feel bad if i ditched my new buddies, so im going to hang out here till i get bored and probably quit for another 14 years. i'm glad it's fun over there though!

i came back EC, got mad at the restrictions and ended up resubbing. gg broadsword, well played

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
Phoenix has over 10 times the pop as live.

Play on the good server :unsmith:

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

I'm dumb and kind of feel like starting some mids on phoenix even though I already have a rr6 nightshade.

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I started a character on live and after reading there are more people playing Phoenix now I am there. I was going for a caster type but not being able to cast at all while under attack is kind of a deal breaker. Trying out Hero on Hibernia.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

ded posted:

Phoenix has over 10 times the pop as live.

Play on the good server :unsmith:

live is back up to half the population of phoenix and i'm having a good time. i have like 500 billion plat and all these ml10 cl15 rr6's over here. I might roll something on phx to check it out but honestly i'm not playing too many games right now across the board. also i enjoy running a buffbot bc i run so many pet classes heh

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004

Jonny 290 posted:

live is back up to half the population of phoenix and i'm having a good time. i have like 500 billion plat and all these ml10 cl15 rr6's over here. I might roll something on phx to check it out but honestly i'm not playing too many games right now across the board. also i enjoy running a buffbot bc i run so many pet classes heh

Phoenix just has buff potions that are easily craftable. But not pet buffing.

Twlight
Feb 18, 2005

Fun Shoe

PriNGLeS posted:

Phoenix just has buff potions that are easily craftable. But not pet buffing.

its hard to rock a petstril on phoenix due to this. as well as the increased chant twisting and the shorter range DD shouts

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
dude simultaneous chants on live has changed minny and pally play so much. theyre hella easy mode now

my warden too, but lol wardens cant deal damage

it was super funny to log on and find that healer 40% dd proc buff and go solo 48-50 in an hour. too bad it's pve only

Twlight
Feb 18, 2005

Fun Shoe

Jonny 290 posted:

dude simultaneous chants on live has changed minny and pally play so much. theyre hella easy mode now

my warden too, but lol wardens cant deal damage

it was super funny to log on and find that healer 40% dd proc buff and go solo 48-50 in an hour. too bad it's pve only

i think they went a little over on live, with the 4 or so chants at once. They did add some of the more interesting magic and range chants, however once they gave sorc speed 5 they really relegated the mini to solo. you just dont have the utility to stand up to a sorc.

SERPUS
Mar 20, 2004
Are there any decent private servers, or is everyone still on Live?

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

SERPUS posted:

Are there any decent private servers, or is everyone still on Live?

https://playphoenix.online/

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Just play phoenix. There are currently around 1700 people on. Thid is very popular and caps at 3L1 so you can be a bg baby forever if you desire.

milkman dad
Aug 13, 2007

Has anyone else recently tried out both this in Phoenix and Warhammer online on return of reckoning? I feel daoc felt more fun but really haven’t given both their proper due.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

I tried RoR and Warhammer Online is a lot less fun than I remember it being tbqh. It's not bad, though.

I'm trying Phoenix right now but the game doesn't finish loading. When I launch the game everything works fine, I get the DAoC loading screen and the bar hangs at like 95% or so. Not sure what to do, I've glanced at the forums and couldn't find anything but I should probably take a closer look.

EDIT: Nevermind, needed to run the downgrader. All fixed!

FrostyPox fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Apr 14, 2020

SERPUS
Mar 20, 2004
Phoenix rolecall:

main: Serpus (cleric)

SERPUS fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Sep 18, 2020

bongsnake
Jul 28, 2004
We're Jammin
Hi again been a while, ive got mids hibs albs (mostly albs) on phoenix. I will recheck this thread occasionally but my mates and I have been playing for months now. If anyones down for some small man / duos I am always keen to roll around.

Just read the minstrel things, remember the days when you had to push buttons to play a class at a high level. Phoenix is just that, if you want to play a minstrel WELL at a HIGH level just push buttons and its still the same. Live has spoiled people with their buffs and nerfs to individual skill over the years and while it may take some adjusting pushing 5 more buttons than the 2 you are used to it is incredibly fun to get GOOD at playing a class at that level again.

The server is excellent and what I feel like is how daoc would be if the devs in charge gave a poo poo about the game for the last decade.

See you in NF :toot:

edit: pringles man hit me up if you ever want to duo, i still poopsock like the days we played together my dood

bongsnake fucked around with this message at 18:14 on May 29, 2020

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004

bongsnake posted:

Hi again been a while, ive got mids hibs albs (mostly albs) on phoenix. I will recheck this thread occasionally but my mates and I have been playing for months now. If anyones down for some small man / duos I am always keen to roll around.

Just read the minstrel things, remember the days when you had to push buttons to play a class at a high level. Phoenix is just that, if you want to play a minstrel WELL at a HIGH level just push buttons and its still the same. Live has spoiled people with their buffs and nerfs to individual skill over the years and while it may take some adjusting pushing 5 more buttons than the 2 you are used to it is incredibly fun to get GOOD at playing a class at that level again.

The server is excellent and what I feel like is how daoc would be if the devs in charge gave a poo poo about the game for the last decade.

edit: pringles man hit me up if you ever want to duo, i still poopsock like the days we played together my dood

Who were you on genesis/origins/uthgard or wherever? My memory is dog poo poo.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

bongsnake posted:

Yeah it's gotta be real hard hitting one button to instantly break any CC on you or your pet.

I kid... mostly. I play Throckmoton (Skald) and Rhianu (Healer) on Mid. No other realms yet because Midgard's been the underdog since I got there.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
They made minstrel super easy mode. You can run charm + speed without having to twist at all.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

ded posted:

They made minstrel super easy mode. You can run charm + speed without having to twist at all.

And here I bought a lifetime supply of glucosamine for NO reason!!!!

Arawn
Jul 5, 2020
Woa, people still play this? We have a presence in this game? I've been itching to come back but haven't managed to get a hold of my old retail accounts.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Arawn posted:

Woa, people still play this? We have a presence in this game? I've been itching to come back but haven't managed to get a hold of my old retail accounts.

You want to play on the Phoenix server, that is where all of the goons mostly are that are still playing this.

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004

Arawn posted:

Depending on how long it's been, it's likely that everything on your accounts is completely worthless.

SERPUS
Mar 20, 2004
Levelling event on Phoenix starting today.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

I'm still here on phoenix. It is very quick to level. They also reworked the realm timer and it rules. Basically, if you take part in rvr/pve in an rvr zone, any characters you have in other realms will be locked to their pve maps. Meaning you can essentially swap over and pve any time you'd like. I have characters I'm working on in all the realms, so feel free to hit me up, anyone whom is still playing.

I am also playing Uthgard very rarely, because I had a 48 paladin on there that I wanted to finish.

knox
Oct 28, 2004

Might start leveling a Midgard character soon, haven't played DAOC in forever and I never really played it at high levels. I'd have to read up a lot about game since I don't remember much. But been interested in Phoenix server for awhile and want to level a class or two up. How long does it take to level 1-max level & gear up to compete in ORvR?

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

knox posted:

Might start leveling a Midgard character soon, haven't played DAOC in forever and I never really played it at high levels. I'd have to read up a lot about game since I don't remember much. But been interested in Phoenix server for awhile and want to level a class or two up. How long does it take to level 1-max level & gear up to compete in ORvR?

When I was playing it was probably 16-24ish hours from 1-50? Gearing is tougher to call because it depends heavily on the class. Most casters you'll be able to gear shortly after you hit 50, melee will take a bit longer, hybrids will require dozens of hours of farming.

knox
Oct 28, 2004

Thane/Skald/Shaman/Runemaster all cool wit me, from what I can remember. I spent the most time playing Hibernia, either Mentalist or another caster.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

Thane and Skald are suuuuper expensive to gear up. Shaman and RM are easier. Shaman is a pretty good starting class because every group needs one, so you'll easily get into leveling, farming, and RvR groups.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Yeah there is also a mountain of difference between making a 99% suit and an MP weaponless temp. Especially for plate armor.

People do dragon/legion/summoner/epic dungeon all the time. These places drop the special currency to buy epic items without having to roll for them yourself.

So, I'm saying play what you will have fun with. Gear will come. You can make a cheap template til rr5 for the plat you'll make from leveling.