Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

I'm still at the beginning of DR2 as well but I clicked the spoiler and it's exactly what I expected. There's gonna be more twists and turns later I'm sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Only other VN in my steam library is this one

https://store.steampowered.com/app/347620/GaokaoLove100Days/

Where you have to decide between having a girlfriend and passing the college placement exams.

I got it to practice my Mandarin listening skills since clicking "repeat line" and having an anime (technically manhua I guess) girlfriend is easier than futzing with audio CDs or youtube or whatever.

The Steam reviews are full of Chinese guys saying "this is exactly what high school was like for me, except I never asked that girl out, I am filled with sadness and regret."

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

I always thought it was kind of cool that for awhile the only English translation of the first danganronpa game was here on SA

It basically saved the forums.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Larry Parrish posted:

Thats disappointing. The anime is real good so far...

Anyway this is probably a dumb question but is Danganronpa any good. I have no idea what its about but most VNs are kind of boring.

It's a very stylish mystery game, plays very similarly to Phoenix Wright if you're familiar with those at all. Recommended unless you just have no patience for VNs at all.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Aston posted:

What's Danganronpa like on PC vs Vita?

It's very easy to aim with a mouse, dunno if anything is different content wise.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Just did the first trial in DR2. Thought the setup was a bit ridiculous at first but all the pieces came together in the end. Like how they know you played the first game and play with expectations based on that.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Baxate posted:

Finished the first chapter of trigger happy havoc. Seems pretty cool, the guilty person was too obvious it was written on the wall in blood for chrissakes

but other than that, the trial was pretty fun. its a little more active than phoenix wright with the mini games and everything. and i felt like gathering the evidence before the trial was less time consuming than phoenix wright

Yeah it's basically a tutorial chapter, I'm glad DR2 just dove right in to a more complicated first trial.

Overall in DR1 I usually figured out the twists ahead of time but the ride is still a lot of fun.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

On to the second case... Beginning to feel despair!

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Do we have consensus that thein-game murder weapon at the start of case 2 in DR2 is the dumbest Sierra logic puzzle in the series?

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

In Training posted:

Hmmmmmm.... (end of case 2) if they're gonna spend so much time on this case trying to figure out exactly how Saionji and Pekoyama got out of the beach house, the schedule on their arrivals and the evidence of their actions in there etc., it's weird how quickly they gloss over Fuzu being there the whole time as well despite never leaving a single footprint or anything. I guess peko could have pushed him out the window first but they never even talked about it

She did, pretty sure they mention it.

e: actually nm I think he just walked out the road door before she moved the body

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

In Training posted:

Also am I just wasting time trying to hang out with Nagito? I've spent like 3 presents on him and never got a single hope fragment.

Everyone else gives fragments even if you mess up a bit so probably.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

About to start the third trial in DR2. My leading suspect right now is Mikan but there's a few things that don't add up so that may change.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

In Training posted:

My guess is kazuichi, bc of the tech stuff needed but really no other hunch. Also that doesn't really make sense probably. It's hard to try and guess in these games bc inevitably somebody will secretly be a serial killer with split personality disorder and/or have the wrong genitals and throw all the evidence out the window 3/4ths of the way through the case

Just got to naming the killer and looks like ----I------- was right. The one piece thats bothering me is why the killer tried to hide the time of death with the heater. Since it was ----Mikan------- they could have just lied and everyone would believe them. Maybe Monokuma would have put it in the file if she hadn't put the effort in though..

e: Monokuma [/i]didn't[i] reveal the cause of death and just let her try to lie about it. Oh well.

P-Mack fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Jul 11, 2018

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

In Training posted:

I will probably do this tomorrow/Sunday. I have started chapter 4, and things are starting to get wild...

You ain't seen nothing yet...

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

About to start the trial. So far i suspect the tower is some weird anti gravity room??? Why not at this point.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

In Training posted:

I just reached the trial as well. im not even going to guess what the architectural twist is, I just wanna see nagito reveal it. Also it seems too obvious to assume this is a suicide to protect everybody bc nidai had already died once, he's a honorable person etc. my completely random guess if its not a suicide is....sonia

worried about finishing this trial right now bc i may not be able to stop and just keep playing through the finale for the next 5 horus or w/e.

My guess is Gundham and the murder weapon was the elevator, but by having a hamster trained to push the button at 5:30 when he has an alibi.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

I wish v3 would go on sale

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

On the last chapter of DR2 now. This plot twist took a long time to finally pay off but it is extremely cool. Kind of an interesting meta commentary on how the gamer relates to society, which is what we live in.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Finished DR2. Sick ending, they really backloaded a lot of crazy poo poo.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Len posted:

Yeah I'll probably pick it up after work. I'm not with the second one but it's been a game the fiancee and I have been sitting down and playing together. She started out not caring if I played solo but Midway through chapter 2 of the first game decided I wasn't allowed to play without her there.

Some very romantic scenes in the last chapter, great couples gaming.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

drat is v3 a feels game I didn't sign up for this

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Just finished ch 1 of v3. I saw the twist coming and not sure I like it... It's a shocker in one way but kind of less adventurous than not doing it in another way.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Len posted:

Still haven't finished D2 because life keeps getting in the way but goddamn did it go off the rails in the most insane fantastic way

Lol yeah, the first few cases could have been in DR1 but then it gets weird.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Len posted:

If I had any complaints about this game series it's the same as Phoenix Wright where I know what happened but sometimes the bullet you have to shoot involves some ridiculous leaps of logic to get there. But maybe that's just me

Also is it just because I'm playing on normal difficulty hut there doesn't seem to be many instances of memorizing arguments to shoot those bullets this time around

There's definitely fewer of those. I think all difficulty does is add more wrong answers to the truth bullets.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Finished chapter 2 of v3. Sort of knew who the culprit was going in since they were the only one with a chance to do the prep work needed in the gym. I, uh, did not perfectly predict the motive though. Y'all weren't kidding about the executions being brutal v3.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Not only are the executions brutal, the post trial reveals for case 2 and 3 are absolutely absurd... I'm sure it's only going to ramp up from here.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

ROFL Octopus posted:

Well the first one in the first game was brutal and disturbing as hell but everything after that was pretty wacky. Apparently the first execution is how they pitched the game early in development so it’s uncharacteristicly brutal compared to everything else in the series lol

Yeah I think they had red blood too in that early conceptual stuff.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

In Training posted:

There's been some interviews with developers around 2 and I think before 3 where they were saying that they had to always make crimes that had no dismemberment or disfigurement or really even visible wounds because fans never wanted to see their favorite characters visibly injured even in death lol.

That's probably why (character) was designed from their goofy skeleton backwards.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Len posted:

Jesus what the anime does to Chiaki is just mean spirited and cruel. At least the executions in game have like an ironic dark humor to them. This is just rough to watch.

I thought the anime was just dr1

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Yeah but Chiaki is DR2 so I dunno maybe I have to watch and find out

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Thank you for the untagged spoilers cause that sounds extremely bad.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Len posted:

Edit: couldn't tell if it was a genuine thank you for the untagged spoilers or not so I went back. But uh show (at least the first half) is bad

Lol it was very genuine

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

U-DO Burger posted:

I wish the games had more time to just chill with your buds before the murder happens. The more red herrings you can get to make things less predictable, the better. I was lazily predicting the victim and the culprit in v3 based only on what rooms opened up and who got more screen time, and I was kind of annoyed I got it right for cases 2 and 3

either that or maybe my powers of deduction are just really good when im high

Yeah I've been doing the same it's just like watching mysteries on TV.

Ch. 4 I was really bummed when kokichi became too suspicious and process of elimination on the remainder gave me the real killer.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Yeah I'm waiting for a sale but it looks rad. FMV gaming needs another chance.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Len posted:

All you DR2 people not saying Nekomaru was the best are just objectively wrong.

He didn't really do much in the early chapters. What I like about v3 is that everyone has a ton of personality right out of the gate.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

EmmyOk posted:

Playing Banner Saga and got to a bit where I could let people sleep in an old building or camp outside it. Last time I played I camped outside it because it look dangerous and a bunch of people disobeyed me and had a great sleep inside. Everyone was pissed with me, so this time I let people sleep inside and the building collapsed killing them. :smugmrgw:

Pretty much everyone was dead by the end when I played that but I still beat the game I guess cause nothing actually mattered?

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Finished DRv3. That ending was a hoot and a holler, I tell you what.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Pablo Nergigante posted:

drat, every 3DS Ace Attorney game is on sale. I wanted to wait for the Switch trilogy release but this is tempting

drat I was waiting for this, I heard spirit of justice was great

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

In Training posted:

I felt pretty similarly but they do a great job feeling like it wasn't a "gotcha" or needless gut punch. DR3 is so much better than 1 or 2 it honestly feels like it was made by different people or something

I think the translation is a big part of it it's so much better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

man nurse posted:

Been playing Danganronpa 2 again on my switch. I’m on the final chapter. These games kick a lot of rear end.

you'll love v3, it's a huge step up in presentation with even crazier twists