Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Will you retain your hope...? Or fall prey to the despair?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
I really wish V3 werent fifty trillion gigabytes so i could download it

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
if he can top nagito then that'd be one hell of a feat

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Steins;gay

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
That chalkboard message makes a lot of sense in retrospect...

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

In Training posted:

1 has a wildly slow start but it falls into a good rhythm after the first trial starts and 2 seems better in basically every way so far.

Wait till the funhouse case youll want to throw your psp off a cliff

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Gonna play 999 sometime soon

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Having played only the first 2, and replaying 1 recently, it's ludicrous how high the highs and how low the lows are in these games. The fourth case in dr1 is *so* good but immediately before it is the justice robo bullshit.

Len posted:

Just started the Hope half of the series. This is the half that's set after the second game and uh the first half of episode 1 is pretty rad and I feel like it's going to not top that.

There's an assault on an island fortress the group from the second game is there doing rad power based combat.

Nagito crushes a bunch of guy with the power of luck.

Nekomaru fights a robot dog thing while Kazuichi pulits a swarm of Mechomaru to blow it up.

Gundam faces off against a falconer and just convinces the bird to join him by saying his name really loud.

Edit: VRV has it setup weird. Hope Arc isn't the first episode of another arc it's literally the last episode of 24. No wonder I'm really confused.

If memory serves me right, since i only watched this once and back when it was aired, the series is divided in two halves, the Despair half covers the events before both games, the Future half covers the events after both games. The Hope bit was literally the last two episodes of the series, which was a bit of a neat surprise since both "halves" made up what was like the standard 24 episode series and nothing really hinted at it continuing, right to the last moment.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Len posted:

Yeah the scene I was talking about was like 5 minutes of Chiaki walking down a hallway getting taunted by Junko while she gets stabbed and beat and stabbed some more.

I heard it was bad but I wasn't expecting it to be that bad. And it turns out the remnants of despair only succumbed to her because the Ultimate Anime Kid literally knew how to mind control people and Junko brainwashed everyone using his tech

Edit: couldn't tell if it was a genuine thank you for the untagged spoilers or not so I went back. But uh show (at least the first half) is bad

That bit seemed so cheap to me, like they tried to overcompansate and go all "does it shock you????" and it came off desperate, imho.

Dongicus posted:

the hope v despair stuff was always the most boring thing about the games

Yeah, but I feel theres times it's put to good use. Then again, I liked the hope's peak mysteries and the lore.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Sivek posted:

DR1 Cases

Agreed on the third case being the worst in the series.
Heavily disagreed on case 4;
its a genuine tragedy that proves monokuma's point about how they are all starting to really let Sakura's traitorous reveal get to them, how Sakura wanted to make things right in one final blaze of glory of defiance against the mastermind, and how despite that, they all freak out and try to kill her (or in Togami's case, leave her to rot).
I especially liked Aoi during this case because it gives her a lot more depth than "Lmao Donuts!! Excercise!" She was willing to kill everyone and herself because of their unwillingness to trust Sakura resulting in her suicide, even fooling Togami in the process because he can't even conceive of the emotional bonds between the students having anything to do with the cases. She thinks they are no longer deserving to live, and having someone actively TRYING to get everyone killed in the class trial is an incredibly good twist on the formula + I didn't feel the motive was contrived at all. What is loving stupid is Naegi being unwilling to tell Kirigiri about Sakura's scene with monokuma. Like what the gently caress? It seemed forced just to get Naegi and Kirigiri to have a fallout.
But yeah I felt the whole case was riddled with tragic irony, and a good twist on why someone would want to mess with the crime scene.

I think it might be one of the best cases in the series. (havent played v3)

Sivek posted:

DR2 Cases

It is sorta explained after the fact why Monokuma isn't bothering with motives and all that horseshit. He really wants to get it done as quickly as possible so as to get Junko's AI onto the students minds. This time Junko isn't trying to prove anything to the world, that even these nice students who love each other will kill each other given the right circumstances. She just wants bodies. Granted, it feels incredibly dumb during the game and even that explanation doesn't get rid of how lame "Despair fever" was.

As for characters, Komaeda steals the show despite the game leaning on him too much, but I also feel Hajime deserves some credit as being an actually developed protagonist compared to Naegi who remains pretty one note throughout. Hajime is also a pretty tragic character whose problems all stem from his insecurity and in a way completely gently caress up everything in his life. Then again I liked the Kamukura backstory and final twist of him choosing to renounce everything that made him Hajime for the sake of having talent, fake as it is. It's really sad.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

ROFL Octopus posted:

it’s funny seeing that artist’s work outside of danganronpa, like here’s his rendition of the count of monte cristo

lol

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Does v3 have a box 15 -> box 16 or ikoroshia -> ekoroshia thing? That was always one of my favourite things about the DRs

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

CuddlyZombie posted:

Yeah but they reused the same twist 7 times so gently caress that game.

the bushes are recolored clouds

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Len posted:

And skip the anime series because while it ties up some things it's absolutely not worth watching

this. a shame cause the new death game with the custom made rules was a cool idea