Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

"I just love beeting off"

Nobody even bothering to pretend to be surprised at James turning up in a foreign country and just getting in the car with the first guy to grab his bag at the airport? He really is the worst spy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

I was actually thinking, reading through it in one go, this is the kind of book that's really enjoyable coming from the position of going through a genre defining work or from a more general meta writing view but just be a real disappointment if you are buying the new James bond book. I mean I can't imagine anyone was hoping for descriptions of the disappointment of a girl losing her virginity and getting hit with teenage heartbreak.

I can really understand how it would have gotten lovely reviews but I also feel Fleming has done a reasonable job so far of portraying a sympathetic and thoroughly unridiculous female character. She's very much a product of her time and steeped in stereotypes too much to be unsurprising but so far it doesn't come across as mysoginistic.

I am happy for anyone to point out if I'm missing anything here but Fleming seems to very much be sympathetic to her so far.

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

This thread inspired me to try a Vesper Martini, which is really good. Having had a standard Martini before and thinking 'cold gin doesn't taste great' I was actually surprised. The Lillet and lemon make it a really fresh, citrusy drink

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

It feels like Fleming had an idea of having Bond take on a more than usually reckless approach, going full death wish as a way of attoning for being brainwashed by the KGB but just ran into his own depression and an early death. The plot here is pretty much nonsensical and very out of character without the level of introspection we've come to expect from Bond.

On an unrelated note, I took time out from a trip today to visit the Duck Inn (mentioned as somewhere near where Bond grew up)

I didn't get to try their food as they have strict serving times (12-2 and 6-8.30) but the place looked good. It's a very, very traditional pub, when I got there it was full of farm workers having a quick pint after work. I was a little disappointed the ale selection was really lacking (they had one local ale in cask that was a very traditional bitter. Light, flat and warm) but the ambiance was great. In the middle of absolutely nowhere but if you're visiting Canterbury and you want a slightly different lunch/dinner spot I'd recommend it. Doesn't seem to have any knowledge of a literary connection.

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

I've always meant to but never got around to reading the Bond books. Thank you so much for this and fort presenting them with a level of research and background information that really enriched the experience.