Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

lol if you use the speakers in your tv

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

MY 9.2 SOUND BAR WITH ATMOS DOLBIES

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
I have a sony sound bar with separate subwoofer because I have a very small entertainment room. it has plugs for real speakers tho

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i use a pair of bookshelf yamahas that i've had for twenty years. kneads my suits

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

Sagebrush posted:

kneads my suits

hell yea Ive also had the same Creative Labs PC speakers for 12 years

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Sagebrush posted:

kneads my suits

It seems like that would wrinkle them?

E: Are you the one who's into linen suits? *Opens "Sartorial Notes" tab in yospos.xlsx...

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Aix posted:

i hate projectors for a bunch of reasons. having to watch for ambient light (this isnt as big a problem nowadays tho thank god), getting a hosed up neck cause youre too close to a hugeass screen, having to supply your own speakers
also the bullshit rainbow effect making everyone think im insane http://www.theprojectorexpert.com/dlp-rainbow-effect/
got separate sound anyway, but yeah ambient lighting issues seem annoying and also we'd have to rearrange the room to get access to the best wall for projection

ted hitler posted:

Portable projector so you can play outdoors. Play it on a sailboat and use a sail as the screen.
otoh i have a friend with a sailboat and this is a compelling argument

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Silver Alicorn posted:

I think my 4K TV is haunted, I keep seeing it just barely turned on at night :tinfoil:

it’s in sympathy with your partner.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

drat...

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Why don't they make 7K TVs? I mean I would like more than 4K, a few more, but 8K is just excessive. 7 ks seems right for me

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

8 is luckier than 7

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

OldAlias posted:

8 is luckier than 7

not in America

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

who gives a gently caress about America, 8 is the luckiest number

angry_keebler
Jul 16, 2006

In His presence the mountains quake and the hills melt away; the earth trembles and its people are destroyed. Who can stand before His fierce anger?

Aix posted:

i hate projectors for a bunch of reasons. having to watch for ambient light (this isnt as big a problem nowadays tho thank god), getting a hosed up neck cause youre too close to a hugeass screen, having to supply your own speakers
also the bullshit rainbow effect making everyone think im insane http://www.theprojectorexpert.com/dlp-rainbow-effect/

imo, if you're the sort of person that feels the need to dart your eyes back and forth while shaking your head to enjoy your movies, just buy a good projector with a fast wheel or 3 chip, or even a cheapo laser projector

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

OldAlias posted:

who gives a gently caress about America, 8 is the luckiest number

wow. rude.

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

i have a set of sony speakers that i inherited from my grandparents that arfe from i think the early '80s and they are still running strong. old electronics are like star league technology.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

NoneMoreNegative posted:

savage

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
lotsa people poo poo-talking projectors itt and i have to say i could not be happier with mine

i bought the Sony VPLHW45ES after a lot of research and it's amazing. zero rainbow-effect, absolutely no noise (even though it's right above my head) and it is very viewable with lights on

here it is with the lights off

here it is with the lights on

i know there's aren't review-worth photos but these are the only photos of it I found on my google photos account. apparently my kid took a picture of the screen that i never knew about lol

i got it for $1,400 new and couldn't be happier. yeah I had to spend another $500 on a 150" screen so it was $1,900 total but it was worth every penny and even me with my eyespergers i couldn't find anything to complain about

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
do they even make actually dumb TVs anymore

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

dragon enthusiast posted:

We could make one dumb if we got it to display your posts.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

dragon enthusiast posted:

i wouldn't be surprised if Panasonic makes one

when i was buying my plasmas back in the day they were the only company that offered a lot of niche poo poo for businesses, like a modular output panel so you could get VGA and DVI and stuff. they even sold some that came with no speakers at all, which I eventually bought, because my living room fireplace can only fit a 42" telelvision above it but with no speakers i was able to fit a 50" there.

whenever Panasonic finally starts offering OLED is when i will probably finally buy one. i'm not buying LG because they get caught doing poo poo like uploading the file names of all files on any connected hard drives/SD cards to china

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

lotsa people poo poo-talking projectors itt and i have to say i could not be happier with mine

i bought the Sony VPLHW45ES after a lot of research and it's amazing. zero rainbow-effect, absolutely no noise (even though it's right above my head) and it is very viewable with lights on

i know there's aren't review-worth photos but these are the only photos of it I found on my google photos account. apparently my kid took a picture of the screen that i never knew about lol

i got it for $1,400 new and couldn't be happier. yeah I had to spend another $500 on a 150" screen so it was $1,900 total but it was worth every penny and even me with my eyespergers i couldn't find anything to complain about

do you have speakers in the ceiling?

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

lol if you use the speakers in your tv

yeah i use a couple big old speakers my dad left behind. i think he assembled them in the 70s or something? anyway they totally blow away any fuckin' "sound bar" bullshit.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

do you have speakers in the ceiling?

yeah, i didn't want any center or left/right speakers taking up screen space

no it does not bother me or ruin any ~immersion~

the sub is hidden in a closet behind the back of the other side of the couch

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

NEED MORE MILK posted:

there are some dell switches that use hdmi as the interswitch fabric which is pretty lol

when I had verizon wireless i needed a Samsung verizon network extender in my house to get a signal. on the bottom of it was a fuckin hdmi port

big scary monsters posted:

i got a snes classic and i dont know if i should get a projector or a TV to play mario kart

it seems like playing on a 180" screen would be cool but projectors are pretty noisy

please advise - the games are 224 vertical lines, so i think i need 4k??

i have an hdmi-modded NES and it looks awesome on the projector

edit: i found another pic; this is the SNES over s-video

Chumbawumba4ever97 fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Jul 8, 2018

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
looks good

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
yeah that really is the good use for a projector, is to just fill an entire wall floor to ceiling.

when i was young i managed to score a surplus projector off work (someone had donated it to the school district and they couldn't find a use for an LP1000 with a fixed-zoom short-throw lens, so a check for $10 later and it was legally mine) and i used it to fill a whole wall of a room. resolution was only 1024x768 but this was before HD media really got prolific anyway and it worked well enough to still be a hit with my friends.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

yeah that really is the good use for a projector, is to just fill an entire wall floor to ceiling.

when i was young i managed to score a surplus projector off work (someone had donated it to the school district and they couldn't find a use for an LP1000 with a fixed-zoom short-throw lens, so a check for $10 later and it was legally mine) and i used it to fill a whole wall of a room. resolution was only 1024x768 but this was before HD media really got prolific anyway and it worked well enough to still be a hit with my friends.

for whatever reason, and I know this makes no sense, but I don't notice a projector is low-res as much as I do a telelvision (i know this makes zero sense). my friend had a 480p projector for a long time and we always thought it was 720p and we'd play xbox 360 on it and watch movies on it and it looked fantastic (except for the rainbow effect). i never once thought it was not HD until i went to look up the specs years later and sure enough it was just 480p

i got really lucky being able to fit a 150" there. the ceilings are only 7' tall, and there's molding around the bottom. if the 150" screen was literally 2" taller I would have had to have gone with a 135" screen instead

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I bet that's because the optics fuzz out the pixel edges a bit in a way that an LCD panel does not

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Sagebrush posted:

I bet that's because the optics fuzz out the pixel edges a bit in a way that an LCD panel does not

that's definitely possible, or maybe it looked great because nothing was being upscaled? i actually find properly-calibrated projectors to look sharper than LCDs a lot of the time

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

my oled tv looks nicer and has better picture quality than that pos

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

yeah i use a couple big old speakers my dad left behind. i think he assembled them in the 70s or something? anyway they totally blow away any fuckin' "sound bar" bullshit.

speakers haven’t really changed since the 70s so yeah I bet they sound good and smell like cedar and shameful clothes

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

akadajet posted:

my oled tv looks nicer and has better picture quality than that pos

OLED has better picture quality than a projector?? :wth:

angry_keebler
Jul 16, 2006

In His presence the mountains quake and the hills melt away; the earth trembles and its people are destroyed. Who can stand before His fierce anger?

OLED has better picture quality than a projector?? :wth:

in fact, it's even better than that. if you use an oled tv you can watch parts of your favorite shows no matter what's on.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

angry_keebler posted:

in fact, it's even better than that. if you use an oled tv you can watch parts of your favorite shows no matter what's on.

lol of course the only technology in TV to surpass plasma also has burn in issues

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

angry_keebler posted:

that's what you get for watching too much cnn

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

when I had verizon wireless i needed a Samsung verizon network extender in my house to get a signal. on the bottom of it was a fuckin hdmi port

cool man. I never did fix that Virtual Boy by the way. would probably need to invest in a microscope. for some reason it's missing the bracket that holds one of the displays too (but it had an extra display stuffed inside???)

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

I do have a hot air station now though so I could probably give it another try if I get the inclination and the bracket.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

the lower left being lower than the right is making me :spergin:

• Locked thread