Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Silver Alicorn posted:

cool man. I never did fix that Virtual Boy by the way. would probably need to invest in a microscope. for some reason it's missing the bracket that holds one of the displays too (but it had an extra display stuffed inside???)

send me a pic of the bracket. I'll check if I have another one and I will send it to you

Hed posted:

the lower left being lower than the right is making me :spergin:

haha i fixed it since then but it's still off by a really small amount. it's perfectly straight on top though so I am not sure what else i can do

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
i have an 11 year old 32" aquos lcd, very needs suiting

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
always wanted one of hose quattron displays :wow:

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
heck mine just has the three colours

I mean I only have 2 eyes

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

e: nah

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Silver Alicorn posted:

always wanted one of hose quattron displays :wow:

like literally everything regarding televisions, that's marketing bs

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

at the time, sharp made very good panels

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

like literally everything regarding televisions, that's marketing bs

RGBY was bullshit but most (all?) oleds are RGBW, that was how they managed to get OLEDs that don't burn out as unevenly as the original ones

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
OLEDs should get even better soon. I think LG no longer has exclusive rights to make OLED televisions starting in October or something. Personally I'm getting one as soon as Panasonic makes one.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Panasonic already sells them in europe but they use lg panels and I don’t think anyone else is scheduled to build a plant for oiled tv screens, all the money is in phone screens

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I heard the reason you can't get laptop screens in OLED any longer is because there's no money in the small panels. I have no idea what to believe

I just want an OLED TV that isn't glossy and doesn't have poo poo input lag

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
i can’t wait till today’s cream of the crop 8k tvs are considered basically unwatchable relics of the past

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
i wrote custom firmware for my 8k tv that upscales content by running every frame through waifu2x

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

echinopsis posted:

i can’t wait till today’s cream of the crop 8k tvs are considered basically unwatchable relics of the past

your screen doesn't even float?

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Sham bam bamina! posted:

i wrote custom firmware for my 8k tv that upscales content by running every frame through waifu2x

i had to look up if that was a thing and lol

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

Jesus take the wheel

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Silver Alicorn posted:

Jesus 2k the wheel

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

gently caress!!

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

echinopsis posted:

lol

ten year old TVs are still fine, kids these days are watching mpregged to poo poo fortnite streams and audio-only asmr videos about fidget spinner tricks so who cares anyways

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

20 year old TVs are also fine and the only reason we replaced the 36" trinitron was because it didn't have hdmi jacks and our dvr doesn't speak composite

or component

whatever one the five wire one was, that one

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

flakeloaf posted:

20 year old TVs are also fine and the only reason we replaced the 36" trinitron was because it didn't have hdmi jacks and our dvr doesn't speak composite

or component

nah when we went to hd, digital, and flat panels that was world-changing, everything since then has been incremental

CRTs made noise, were bulky as hell, and that 36" was basically a maximum size instead of a minimum

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

flakeloaf posted:

or component

composite meets all needs, who needs anything else when you can play VCDs on your Dreamcast

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

8k with ArtSense technology™️, where did the kickstarter thread go,

I don't think that's going to work at that price point for 24×7, they don't even list the screen technology. Nice size though.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1847911068/canvia-the-digital-display-that-looks-like-a-real?ref=discovery

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
digital picture frames seem so dumb, yes this display runs at 60hz but we use it to display a static image

you'd think they could make a 1hz monitor or eink that would be cheaper than a normal tv

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Perplx posted:

digital picture frames seem so dumb, yes this display runs at 60hz but we use it to display a static image

you'd think they could make a 1hz monitor or eink that would be cheaper than a normal tv

The cost of making custom panels would probably be prohibitive though?

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

OldAlias posted:

composite meets all needs, who needs anything else when you can play VCDs on your Dreamcast

lol vcds, I'd totally forgotten about those

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Cocoa Crispies posted:

36" was basically a maximum size instead of a minimum
you say that like it's a problem

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Here's a new one on me, a shirt fridge, or that's what it looks like, even has the TV thing on the door.

jeffery
Jan 1, 2013
how many donations does that take

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Perplx posted:

i kinda wanna build myself a digital picture frame that's only used for showing looped pixel art gifs

like, it would still be a properly matted frame made out of nice wood, but it would show stuff like this

raspberry pi + a cheap IPS display replacement + some 3d printed/routed parts oughta do it

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Sagebrush posted:

i kinda wanna build myself a digital picture frame that's only used for showing looped pixel art gifs

like, it would still be a properly matted frame made out of nice wood, but it would show stuff like this

raspberry pi + a cheap IPS display replacement + some 3d printed/routed parts oughta do it

Al Gore went and tagged himself in the graffiti

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

600hz (to go back to page one) is the lowest number that does 24, 25, and 30. Europe should’ve scrapped 25/50hz decades ago, but it still uses it despite it being stupid and dumb.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i think my favorite little detail about world electricity standards is that japan, unlike any other country, uses two different frequency standards. western japan is 110v/60hz like the usa and most of the americas, while eastern japan is 110v/50hz, a standard which is shared only with madagascar. they have four gigantic switching stations in the middle of the country to tie the two grids together

:japan:

Cowwan
Feb 23, 2011

EL BROMANCE posted:

600hz (to go back to page one) is the lowest number that does 24, 25, and 30. Europe should’ve scrapped 25/50hz decades ago, but it still uses it despite it being stupid and dumb.

Ah, I was unaware of 25 and 50. That would definitely throw a wrench into using 120hz for everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Sagebrush posted:

i think my favorite little detail about world electricity standards is that japan, unlike any other country, uses two different frequency standards. western japan is 110v/60hz like the usa and most of the americas, while eastern japan is 110v/50hz, a standard which is shared only with madagascar. they have four gigantic switching stations in the middle of the country to tie the two grids together

:japan:

that's hilarious

also I think Japan is technically 100v :spergin:

Chumbawumba4ever97 fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Jul 12, 2018

• Locked thread