Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kaptainballistik
Nov 2, 2005

Why ask me ? I cant understand me either!

chrisgt posted:

Won't massive amounts of oil going through the bypass heat the oil? It's a restriction to flow, that's heat. Seems counter productive to run an oil pump with considerably higher flow than needed on a vehicle that spends most of its time doing normal driving.

I didn’t mention my bypass is shimmed ;)

Puttering around, a 10 mm is more than adequate. But it’s that 5% of the time being thrashed that counts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
Got some more work done on the engine tear down today. But first, a picture of my grand-daughter sitting in Slow_is_Fast's rally car. ( I found that randomly.) That kid also has last year's trophy from the New England Forest Rally signed by Travis Pastrana .

Anyways, Intake Manifold off.

Turbo removed.

Exhaust Manifold removed and poo poo going all over my garage floor.

And the big reveal!

Ewwwwwwwwwww

The Pickup looks fine.

Kaptainballistik
Nov 2, 2005

Edited for correctness ...

daslog posted:

The Pickup looks dead sexy

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
Sadly, my engine is still toast. Not sure I'll ever know why...

Kaptainballistik
Nov 2, 2005

Number 2 Conrod bearing spun?

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
Yesterday I got the heads off. They look ok, and the cams didn't have any grooves in them. Next up is getting the pistons out and splitting the block.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Kaptainballistik posted:

Number 2 Conrod bearing spun?

You were close. #4

Engine split.

Exciting exclusive video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4CHUXXmvgE

picture of the bearings

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
I'm going to list it as is and see if anyone is dumb enough to buy it.
I'm done with Subaru turbo motors, because I'm not rich enough or skilled enough as a driver to keep doing this.

Here is a list of Mods

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/114PIl0RfSwEIS8aB0Yhij15IxaGKinJIeL1ZtVhn-xA/edit?usp=sharing

Here is an album of the car in it's current state

https://imgur.com/a/vfXFlES

I can add more pictures if anyone cares. How much should I sell this for? Is $3500 too much?

daslog fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Jul 9, 2018

Kaptainballistik
Nov 2, 2005

Humour me..

Can I get a pic of the bottom of the sump, from the outside.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Kaptainballistik posted:

Humour me..

Can I get a pic of the bottom of the sump, from the outside.

like this one?

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Coasterphreak posted:

Why is it that every Subaru thread seems to start out with "So my engine died from oil starvation..."

My Subaru had an oil light suddenly come on. I pulled over into the nearby parking lot, dumped half a 5 quart jug from my last oil change in. Still didn’t show on the dipstick. Walked to the gas station next door, got another quart, and it finally got into the normal zone.

Changed the oil shortly after, not a single metal shaving :smug:

EJ22 supremacy.

Does anyone make warboy logo badge replacements for Subarus? I feel like if anyone takes this one they should do that and put “I live, I die, I live again” somewhere on it.

Kaptainballistik
Nov 2, 2005

daslog posted:

like this one?

:picardfacepalm:

Turn it over, take photo

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Kaptainballistik posted:

:picardfacepalm:

Turn it over, take photo

Here you go.

Also, I'm selling the car for the ridiculous price of $3,500. If no one bites, I'll part it out!

https://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2878970

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull
I'd be tempted if not for distance. That and I just put a new longblock into *my* WRX.

Sucks, man.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Daslog, keep the car. Just put God’s own EJ22 in it.

Comedy option FA20.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
Wankel into a Subaru has long been a dream of mine but I’m prepared to live vicariously through others!

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
At least it'd be more reliable.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I know it's a cliche, but has anyone put an LS into a Subaru yet retaining AWD?

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
Tell me about swapping this in someone.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/02-03-04-0...5ajCpb#viTabs_0

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Any idea on what caused the failure at all? You mentioned the bearing but what do you think got it to the point of failure?

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Adding a turbo on a Subaru motor, most likely. Factory defect.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

net work error posted:

Any idea on what caused the failure at all? You mentioned the bearing but what do you think got it to the point of failure?

Running a rallyx course at redline. I was an idiot when driving it.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Got one of those from the same seller a couple months ago. Head castings were god-knows-what but somewhere between USDM EJ205 and EJ207, the one I got was automatic so lacked the cam belt guides. Swap crank pulley and timing gear from USDM EJ205, and I swapped sensors to be sure. One I got was shim over bucket but that probably doesn't matter much. I got some new parts, but you can realistically just swap the stuff from your existing 205.

Kaptainballistik
Nov 2, 2005

The bottom of the sump....

The sump! 🧐

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
I think he means oil pan.

Also does the top of piston 4 look any different from the others?

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

mekilljoydammit posted:

Got one of those from the same seller a couple months ago. Head castings were god-knows-what but somewhere between USDM EJ205 and EJ207, the one I got was automatic so lacked the cam belt guides. Swap crank pulley and timing gear from USDM EJ205, and I swapped sensors to be sure. One I got was shim over bucket but that probably doesn't matter much. I got some new parts, but you can realistically just swap the stuff from your existing 205.

yea, I'd just do the swap to get it running so I can sell it. thanks for the info, sounds pretty easy.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
Oil pan

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

jamal posted:

I think he means oil pan.

Also does the top of piston 4 look any different from the others?

what am I looking for? It might be slightly blacker, but I didn't look for every long.

Kaptainballistik
Nov 2, 2005

You drat colonials!!!

Invert the oil pan , upside down, the bottom!

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

Kaptainballistik posted:

You drat colonials!!!

So the outside, convex side of the oil pan?

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Kaptainballistik posted:

You drat colonials!!!

You're still a comonwealth. You're the colonial. :colbert:

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
I'll get a picture this morning.

Will the stock tune run that JDM engine if I swap the manifolds and have the Invidia downpipe amd three way boost controller?

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Applebees Appetizer posted:

I know it's a cliche, but has anyone put an LS into a Subaru yet retaining AWD?

An LS into a Subaru chassis is a hilariously bad idea, let alone attempts to keep the AWD. Subarus make for terrible RWD, they are blow your head off snap oversteering nastiness with a EJ, a V8 is just a joke. Yes I'm aware someone tried and it was a complete failure as there are a lot of fundamental issues you cant get around.

a) Try to use a 5 speed? You will shatter the 5 speed on the first clutch kick

b) How about the six speed? Well after oyu have the bellhousing issues and clutches etc, You will break a driveshaft with a 6 speed in very short order.Or parts of the suspension. You need some hefty upgrades to handle a bg power EJ, that problem is compunded greatly witha LS's torque.

c) The weight balace and polar momentum is already trashed with a LS and RWD, you are going to stick all that weight even further in front of the axle? Like ALL the V8? That a hideous idea if you want to attempt a corner. Hell that kind of front heavy is going to give you problems just trying a straight line.

The only even half successful non Subaru AWD swap I know worked is to do a RB26 GTR swap. A fair whack heavier but due to *reasons* that I need to shut up about due to that secret car we keep alluding to, it works somewhat due to a fundamental setup difference a V8 wont allow except for one particular setup... and that doesnt fit with any ease. And is also not particularly strong.

The EJ is a perfectly fine motor for going fast and a LS wont be faster. Esp without AWD

Terrible Robot posted:

Wankel into a Subaru has long been a dream of mine but I’m prepared to live vicariously through others!

I know of someone who is in the middle of one. It's looking like it'll work

You can AWD a RX8 resonably well with Subaru parts.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Kaptainballistik posted:

You drat colonials!!!

This has to be a bit, right? Either way, I’m dying here. Like the taking pictures of cars equivalent of who’s on first.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

daslog posted:

I'll get a picture this morning.

Will the stock tune run that JDM engine if I swap the manifolds and have the Invidia downpipe amd three way boost controller?

And triggers and sensors... it should but you might want to pull some timing and boost at least to start, as I end up seeing a lot of (unproven) stuff about the JDM engines having a point more compression.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

The only even half successful non Subaru AWD swap I know worked is to do a RB26 GTR swap. A fair whack heavier but due to *reasons* that I need to shut up about due to that secret car we keep alluding to, it works somewhat due to a fundamental setup difference a V8 wont allow except for one particular setup... and that doesnt fit with any ease. And is also not particularly strong.

I don't understand this fundamental setup difference, unless you're talking about it being pushed way back and skinny enough to enter the trans tunnel?

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
I don't speak Aussie and the last time I watched Crocodile Dundee was in in the 80's

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
N/A EZ30

I just realized you are located really close to me. I have an EJ255 shortblock with good compression (but highish mileage) if you are interested in a hybrid build, because to me it sounds like you are really excited about doing this all over again :v:

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Adiabatic posted:

I don't understand this fundamental setup difference, unless you're talking about it being pushed way back and skinny enough to enter the trans tunnel?

You cant push back the AWD gearbox without pushing the driveshaft angle to extreme - The fundamental difference is where the front differential is. In a Subaru it's in the gearbox, while on a R32 GTR, the front diff is bolted to the side of the sump, which means you have a hope of aligning front driveshafts within tolerances. Even then a lot of work with subframes and firewall is required with other clearance issues.

The LS1 AWD setup off a Holden Adventura is a similar idea but it is also attached to a 4 speed auto and is ridiculously heavy. You could use it but why would you, given it's known problems let alone size and weight?

So basically the only real bet is to engineer a custom front side mount diff / oilpan setup with the custom front subframes and steering assembly annnnd you are now well past the point of the ability of most of us here and also our wallets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Modern AWD Nissan poo poo with the VQ engines does that same sump setup but yeah, that would be a lot of hacking to get everything to fit.

• Locked thread