Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Succession is a new HBO hour-long created by Jesse Armstrong, most known for his work on the British programmes Peep Show and The Thick of It, which follows a family who own a global media company:

quote:

Set in New York, Succession explores themes of power, politics, money, and family. Logan Roy (Brian Cox), the tough, powerful, aging patriarch, is head of Waystar Royco, a family-controlled international media conglomerate. He is married to his third wife, Marcia (Hiam Abbass), a loving, formidable partner.

Kendall Roy (Jeremy Strong), Logan’s eldest son from his second marriage, is currently a division president at the firm and the heir apparent. Roman Roy (Kieran Culkin), Kendall's younger brother, is Logan's outspoken, fun-loving son and no longer works at Waystar. Siobhan “Shiv” Roy (Sarah Snook), Logan's only daughter and youngest child, has been pursuing a career in politics. Connor Roy (Alan Ruck), Logan’s eldest son, and only child from his first marriage, has pursued an independent life in New Mexico. In the season premiere, the Roy siblings are reunited with their younger cousin, Greg (Nicholas Braun), who has moved from Canada to New York seeking a foothold in the management of the firm’s theme parks.

Tensions mount as Logan’s birthday descends into a power struggle between father and son, and between the siblings themselves. The Roy children face a difficult choice as a feud over company control and family loyalties collide.

Kieran Culkin should be enough by himself for anyone to watch this show tbh but also Brian Cox and Cameron from Ferris Bueller's Day Off are there!

Enjoying the show so far, although I feel like it would have benefited from being a half-hour show and more overtly comedic. Goon theflyingexec worked on the show, and has mentioned he might come in and share some stories, so yay!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

I pretty much want to see Roman's face bashed into a bloody pulp but goddamn if Kieran Culkin isn't having the time of his life playing this role.

fake edit: also, I love the RJD2-esque opening song a hell of a lot.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Hey it’s me I worked on it!

Some fun stuff:
The whole show was shot on 35mm.
For the gala, one thing I really liked about it was how much was shot as the exact things and places it was supposed to be. That service entrance Logan came in was the real service entrance and elevator for the building, the control room where Connor looks at the teleprompter was our actual video and light booth, we brought background in to play the cooks, but they weren’t as realistic as the director wanted, so we had the actual staff do those scenes with the food prep, the whole show was filled with stuff like that.

The office was real and actually had to be built to code because it was in a skyscraper; the building manager was downright giddy that we were filming and kept bringing people from other floors to tour it (where they asked why their offices weren’t as nice as ours). The bg in the office were writing real notes with sarcastic zingers like “Life goals: find a job where I get to actually talk”.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
hahah that’s great! I love knowing little details like this, I find it really helps form a connection to a show sometimes.

Also, I definitely gotta agree that the music in the title sequence is awesome. Plus it’s just a great title sequence anyway, expresses a lifetime of privilege beautifully.

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007
A family that's a nest of vipers out to gently caress each other over to get a dying patriarch's money. This show speaks to me on a very personal level.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Bumpin, when we went upstate to get the shot of “Canada”, the hotel we shot at later we shared with an MRA convention

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
I don't know if I should treat this as comedy or drama...if I'm watching a dramedy I usually root for someone but the way everyone is being a complete dick I think I might have to approach this like Always Sunny...also Connor needs a bigger part the way he doesn't give a poo poo about anything for the most part is hilarious. As the eldest child with bunch of half-siblings I relate to him.

DarkCrawler fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Jul 3, 2018

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

God I love Greg so much.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Just watched ep 3 (first episode of anything I’ve watched in like a week) and it was extremely good. “It’s not like they come pre-pooped or something”

Also yeah I definitely don’t see this as a drama at all. Would be interested in what people on set thought they were making.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Greg is the best. Kendall is going to test my cringe tolerance every time he chooses the absolute worst course of action and lives through the result in excruciating detail

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Hahahaha oh my loving god, the songbird scene. Billions did the same scene a few months ago but played completely straight. Whomever coined that this a dramatic take on The Office was completely right.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
I love Kendall, he is such a fuckup.

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

It's possible I zoned out and missed something, but did nothing come of Logan hitting Kendall's kid? They were acting like it was the opportunity they needed to oust Logan but in this episode it's like everybody's already forgotten about it. Again, I might have just missed it.

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

El Jeffe posted:

It's possible I zoned out and missed something, but did nothing come of Logan hitting Kendall's kid? They were acting like it was the opportunity they needed to oust Logan but in this episode it's like everybody's already forgotten about it. Again, I might have just missed it.

Nope. Everybody on this show is just terrible and its amazing.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.
I didn't like the show much at first because I kept on looking for a likable character. When I accepted that all of them are terrible people, the show clicked and now I'm having fun watching everyone destroy themselves and everyone else around them.

Greg during the shredding scene was simply amazing.

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

Greg isn't terrible, he's a pure, sweet boy. A real go-getter who will end up on the iron throne in the CEO's office.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

I hope Greg personally kicks Tom down the corporate ladder and is the only Roy left standing in the ashes of the company.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Just watched the first episode, it's very well directed and acted and there isn't a likeable character in sight.

I dunno if i"ll be able to handle how serious everything is.

Okay I'm on episode 3 now. I like how they're handling Kendal's character. He seems like an incompetent rich kid in the first two eps, and especially in the beginning of the third, but then when he handles his employees you can sort of see why he has the job. He is somewhat competent and carries himself well, and the actor is doing a great job. But I'm still totally uncertain as to whether he is making good business decisions.

Ccs fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Jul 12, 2018

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
I got pretty grossed out at the song choice at the end of episode 6.

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

All I can find about it is that it was a pro-union song from the '30s. What's gross about it?

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

El Jeffe posted:

All I can find about it is that it was a pro-union song from the '30s. What's gross about it?

We live in a world where media conglomerates have shut down newspapers and websites for unionizing. It's tone deaf as gently caress. I get that the chorus applies to manlet VP but it left a bad taste in my mouth.

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

Matt Zerella posted:

We live in a world where media conglomerates have shut down newspapers and websites for unionizing. It's tone deaf as gently caress. I get that the chorus applies to manlet VP but it left a bad taste in my mouth.

Ah, I didn't know that about the media conglomerates. Not surprised though.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

El Jeffe posted:

Ah, I didn't know that about the media conglomerates. Not surprised though.

Yeah my jaw kind of hit the floor when I heard it. What the hell music director person!?!

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Matt Zerella posted:

I got pretty grossed out at the song choice at the end of episode 6.

I thought it was supposed to be ironic, use a union workers song clashing with the privilege of an outsted executive, who is finally tasting a bit of what getting on the bad side of a mogul can be like. Now he's out on the street with the rest of the "ordinary" workers.

Also I finished watched all 6 released episodes. It's a very well made show but it just makes me feel awful about the world. Everyone is in such awful familial and romantic relationships. They're all the most broken people.

Ccs fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Jul 12, 2018

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Still very slowly catching up and Alan Ruck freaking out about the butter was amazing

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Oh my god everything in the Tom teaching Greg how to be rich storyline from ep 6 is loving impeccable.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
I feel like an idiot for not guessing that Roman would have been the one to gently caress up the no-confidence vote.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Roman is such a coward I am so mad at him

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins
Really enjoying this. I mostly started watching for Kieran Culkin, but Brian Cox is a joy to watch (also James Cromwell appearances!). I didn't think I'd like it based on the premise but the characters have really hooked me. Greg & Tom are hilarious and I feel like things aren't going to end well for either of them. One thing I'm really intrigued about is whatever game Marcia's playing. She's obviously up to something, but the details are so scarce so far.

I do have a small writer nitpick surrounding last week's episode though: Kendall's hubris needed to be the thing that caused his downfall, not a random event like restricted airspace. Either the round-trip to Long Island should've taken too long, or Kendall should've deliberately ignored a warning about the terror threat because he wanted this so badly. Otherwise it just felt like [insert obstacle]. Otherwise great high-stakes episode, and I'm wondering if they can get their way back into the company by proving the meeting wasn't legitimate due to Logan being in the room.

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

Gil Would Have Won.

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins
Yikes, those cuts on Logan's back at the end. What is Marcia doing to him? :gonk:

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

Bonk posted:

Yikes, those cuts on Logan's back at the end. What is Marcia doing to him? :gonk:

I wonder if it has something to do with the uncle Logan mentioned when he went off on everyone. Abuse would explain how he became such an rear end in a top hat.

Also poor Tom. He's awful but less awful than the Roys and basically being called a peasant to your face has to sting. That and Shiv is almost definitely gonna bang that other guy.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

That was another pretty great episode but it felt like they inserted another dues ex machina interference by having the psychologist injure himself so that they couldn't actually complete the therapy. Though I doubt a couple days would be enough to do therapy on this family.

It was weird to see Roman being the mature one while Kendal's life is falling apart.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I agree with both deus ex machina points overall, but everything else is good enough to overshadow it for me. Connor is so goddamn weird!

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins

Vanderdeath posted:

I wonder if it has something to do with the uncle Logan mentioned when he went off on everyone. Abuse would explain how he became such an rear end in a top hat.
I'd considered that, but they looked too fresh. Maybe it's a visual cue to show the audience that Marcia's got her "claws" in him.

PeterMayle
Sep 4, 2006
None of his kids think he can swim. It seems like he lead them to believe that so they wouldn't see his scars.

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

The Something Awful Forums › The TV IV › Succession: Greg tells me you swallowed your own load.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
hahaha this episode ruled

also I decided to watch it on a train because the glare from the sun wouldn’t be too big of an issue because it’s not a very dark show overall......so of course this is the episode where the majority of it takes place in an underground club

Eezee
Apr 3, 2011

My double chin turned out to be a huge cyst
The interactions between Greg and Tom continue to be the best.

Suck on those big white dicks, you loving pervert! Greg, you total coke whore.

I really hope the series gets a second season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
I'm *really* enjoying the show so far. Only had time to get through Episode 4, but I'm hopeful that this is a show that more people will find and talk about once the complete season is out and buzz continues to build. I know that I was pulled in by a few critics mentioning that the season ramped up really nicely -- for some reason, the ads that played during Westworld did a pretty bad job of selling me a show that it turns out is right up my alley. Really looking forward to see where things go from here.