Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
I got pretty grossed out at the song choice at the end of episode 6.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

El Jeffe posted:

All I can find about it is that it was a pro-union song from the '30s. What's gross about it?

We live in a world where media conglomerates have shut down newspapers and websites for unionizing. It's tone deaf as gently caress. I get that the chorus applies to manlet VP but it left a bad taste in my mouth.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

El Jeffe posted:

Ah, I didn't know that about the media conglomerates. Not surprised though.

Yeah my jaw kind of hit the floor when I heard it. What the hell music director person!?!

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

MiddleOne posted:

Well with all of their other content either ending, going up in a garbage fire or both this does not surprise me at all.

Euphoria was fantastic and Gemstones looks like its going to be great so whatever.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

MiddleOne posted:

This show is unironically the last good thing they have.

All of those shows have run their course and im glad they're ending or have ended. I dont watch BLL so Ive got nothing there.

HBO is gonna be just fine.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

I hope Shiv destroys fake rear end bernie and I feel really dirty typing that sentence.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Memnaelar posted:

Your subjective opinion on Euphoria, while intriguing in its enthusiasm, is objectively wrong.

Also, we need to revisit your use of "unironically"and replace it with a word that works in context, regardless of what anyone thinks of your opinion.

It's not cool to like things even for their small faults in TVIV, you have to be a glum hater all the time.

Euphoria was fantastic.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

CubanMissile posted:

Rhea is gonna gently caress the Pierce family so bad. They're gonna miss not getting that 25 billion.

Good. Seeing Ivory tower liberals get owned because of decorum is awesome.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Solkanar512 posted:

Eh, I think folks are being a little hard on them. Yeah, they’re pretentious loving assholes, but they aren’t wantonly destroying companies (and the jobs that go with) because daddy had a temper tantrum and they aren’t actively hiding rape and murders that happen on cruise ships.

And I while Nan treats her housekeepers like poo poo, she isn’t physically and emotionally abusing her children. The Pierces are at worst the yuppies from Christmas Vacation.

Please don't forget that they're considering selling because despite all their appeals to doing the right thing that their media outlet is failing and they want money so they can keep drinking teddy roosevelt cocktails in their "weird little mansion".

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Doctor Jeep posted:

jesus loving christ
no rape-murder-suicide cruises > rape-murder-suicide cruises
and no, the honesty of "at least this psychopath owns him being a psychopath" isn't good, "honesty" isn't automatically a good thing

Knowing your enemy is a good thing, when I say things like "I respect right wing overt racists more than shadowy decorum obsessed liberals" its not an endorsement of the right wing racist behavior. It's a hell of a lot easier to know your enemy vs being constantly sold out by another who pretends to be on your side.

the Pearces are EXACTLY that kind of ivory tower liberal. For all their hemming and hawing about protecting the press as a pillar of democracy, had it not been for the cruise scandal, they'd of sold out INSTANTLY. They are hypocrites and extremely nefarious because they paint themselves as the good guys. They are essentially the NYT. A bastion of technocratic liberal elites who value their own security over everyone else.

Hating the Roys is easy, but at the very least they dont loving pretend to be something they are not. And I respect that to a point.

Matt Zerella fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Sep 19, 2019

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

sticksy posted:

I was being a bit hyperbolic when I said the Pierces were worse than the Roys because obviously the Trumps Redstones Murdochs Roys are the worst but let's be honest - you don't think the Peirce family wouldn't have tried to coverup a Chappaquiddick-esque incident like what happened at the end of S1 with Kendall? Something that would've threatened the Pierce dynasty of their flawless stewardship of an institution of truth-telling, exceptional journalism and high culture for generations?

Of course their corporate culture isn't quite as ruthless and cynical as Waystar; I think part of what the show is trying to illustrate is that benevolent dictators, media and otherwise, are still dictators who operate according to a different set of rules and expectations, regardless of what their "core values" are.

As both being part of the .001%, they probably have far more in common with one another vs others who may share the same political beliefs but not the same social class (especially with Jesse Armstrong being English).

Mark my words if one of their publication staffs tried to unionize they'd behave exactly as Kendall did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Kawasaki Nun posted:

I, a genius, can tell that there is no difference between obnoxious wealthy liberals and the murderous owners of a right wing propaganda machine. :smug:

*cranes neck to read the oped section of liberal establishment media defending the Iraq war and encouraging apartheid in Israel*