Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Welcome fellow Loremasters :D this is the thread for discussion of King of Dragon Pass, it's sequel Six Ages (releasing tomorrow exclusively on god's chosen gaming platform, the iPhone) and the extended Glorantha universe. KoDP originally came out for PC in 1999 and it's a weird blend of 4x strategy/choose your own adventure game the likes of which haven't really been attempted since. You control a small barbarian clan of your own creation (you can pick stuff like your clan's favored deity, your ancestral enemy, your myths and traditions, etc) who fled their homeland when it was conquered by the powerful and mysterious Pharaoh. Gameplay involves exploring surrounding territory, accumulating wealth via war and trade, making enemies and allies with other clans, and balancing the needs of your own people with the ultimate goal of uniting the clans of the land and becoming the King of Dragon Pass

Unlike similar civilization-management games you don't have access to very much hard data and
you won't spend very much of your time looking at a map. Aside from easily quantifiable things like the size of your population or your wealth (measured in cattle -- and yes, this game WILL have you crying because of the cows, dude ;)) you're mostly reliant on the 12 advisors you appoint to your Clan Ring to suss stuff out -- they all have their own personalities and agendas and will often give you conflicting or straight-up bad advice and it's up to you to think like a barbarian and make the right decisions.

There's a little bit of messing around in menus and deciding who to go to war with or what trade goods to focus on but what makes KoDP special is that the majority of the gameplay takes place in events like the ones pictured. There are a HUGE pool to pull from, all with accompanying cool art and text, and your decisions all add up to shape the future of your clan. Events can have consequences many, many years later, good or bad, and part of the magic in the game is having seemingly inconsequential decisions turn out to have an impact like a full generation later.

And even though there aren't a lot of visible numbers, there's a lot of cool sim stuff going on in the backend. For example, my last run I acquired some mysterious Thrumming Magical Instruments that I knew from previous playthroughs were actually really bad and holding onto them would cause my cows to mutate and my women to give stillbirth. So I sent an emissary to a clan I'd been feuding with and really hated and presented the instruments as a gift to end . They happily accepted and within a couple years their economy and military was completely crippled and they had to come to me begging me not to raid them anymore ;) Anyway check it out. The original devs remastered the game with higher res versions of the old artwork and the streamlining of a few features (nothing you'd ever miss, now you just choose to grow "crops" instead of having to divvy up your fields between wheat, rye, and barley for example) and that's available on Steam and iOS. Some menus can be a little cramped but the turn based nature and bite sized events make it a perfect phone game.

And speaking of, here's Six Ages! It's a sequel from the original devs a long time in the making and it literally launched on the app store like 5 minutes ago so I'm downloading it as we speak. You control a different clan in a different place and timeline but it sounds basically like more KoDP with some new mechanics, also it has like twice the text of KoDP which was already a HUGE game so can't wait. It will be available on PC sometime in 2019. I'm going to go play Six Ages now but I'll come post some weird Glorantha lore later

goferchan fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Jun 28, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

@Ragg

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Been reading the manual for Six Ages for like 20 minutes now 😍😍 it took me 15 (irl) years to get my first long-game win in King of Dragon Pass and I'm pretty sure with this game I can do it in half the time

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Powerful phone gaming OP, apple does it again

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

I always thought this game looked sick but every time I try and play games like this I get bored and go play something with less reading.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

fadam posted:

I always thought this game looked sick but every time I try and play games like this I get bored and go play something with less reading.
Sucks to be you I guess, this thing kicks rear end.

There's a major game mechanic where you read stories and remember the details to go on a spiritual quest. It rocks.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I bought Dragon Pass on Steam without knowing when it was originally made and would never have guessed 99. It's genuinely timeless.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Does Glorantha exist in games that aren't this? The main writer for Pillars of Eternity said it was his favorite fantasy world on Twitter.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

fadam posted:

Does Glorantha exist in games that aren't this? The main writer for Pillars of Eternity said it was his favorite fantasy world on Twitter.
It's a tabletop RPG.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

FactsAreUseless posted:

It's a tabletop RPG.

Yeah and the Elder Scrolls Loremaster guy was super into it and it inspired a lot of the weirder aspects of that lore

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Glorantha's the one where the intelligent tapir tribe keeps animal brain humans as livestock right

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

P-Mack posted:

Glorantha's the one where the intelligent tapir tribe keeps animal brain humans as livestock right

Probably? I don't think that's covered in either of the games, there are beastmen in KoDP but they're mostly duck people and dog people. Six Ages is awesome so far btw. Combat is a lot more involved and the interface is way improved -- it's set many many years before the other game and your clan are bad rear end horse guys and horse girl's, who love whooping and hollering and getting drunk on strong fermented horses milk

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I love dragon pass, even though I suck rear end at it.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

The new Trickster God in this one, Raven, is way more mean spirited than Eurmal lol

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Oh cool, KoDP is also on Android finally. Gonna be a good train game for me.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
i love the duck people and i love that suikoden 3 also had duck people

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

Do NOT gently caress with the duck people.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Thanks for making the thread, I bought KoDP from gog like a year ago but didn’t put much time into it even though it seems extremely my poo poo. I’ll have to start a new game after work.

JanPospisil
Jul 27, 2013

Ask me about Verethragna!
The tapir people are called "morokanth", are one of the tribes in Prax and iirc don't feature in either game. (except for maybe one or two in KoDP, just as part of other scenes)

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002

elf help book posted:

i love the duck people and i love that suikoden 3 also had duck people

i just listened to the retronauts on suikoden 1&2 and well, those games sound epic

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

goferchan posted:

Been reading the manual for Six Ages for like 20 minutes now 😍😍 it took me 15 (irl) years to get my first long-game win in King of Dragon Pass and I'm pretty sure with this game I can do it in half the time

do you feel like the manual explains enough mechanics to be getting on with for a novice or am i in trouble

read lps before but that's about it

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

I can't remember the last time I thought a phone game looked good (that wasn't a Dragon Quest remake). Should I get King of Dragon Pass or the new Six Ages one?

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Bolverkur posted:

I can't remember the last time I thought a phone game looked good (that wasn't a Dragon Quest remake). Should I get King of Dragon Pass or the new Six Ages one?

Ciaphas posted:

do you feel like the manual explains enough mechanics to be getting on with for a novice or am i in trouble

read lps before but that's about it

In response to both of y'all, Six Ages definitely maintains the challenge and mystery of King of Dragon Pass but it's also a lot more user-friendly (and yes, the manual is extremely helpful). It's also chronologically set much earlier than KoDP so I think it's a great game to start with -- you'll miss out on a few fun nods to KoDP if you haven't played it (like running into the ancestors of the tribe you played in that game and perceiving them as uncivilized barbarian retards) but it's a lot more polished if only because it's a game that came out in 2018 instead of 1999.

edit: also it was all written and programmed by basically one guy and has more text in it than the combined Lord of the Rings trilogy lol. And he looks like this so you know he's a powerful Loremaster

goferchan fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Jun 29, 2018

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002
i liked the art in dragon pass and this seems even more win

swimsuit
Jan 22, 2009

yeah
dont gently caress with the ducks but make them give u a chill food tribute, op

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

On a similar note to the ducks Six Ages seems to have a race of pathetic swamp dwellers who are incredibly easy to raid and exploit and I've got a really bad feelinthat something terrible will happen if I push them too far lol. Or maybe not! That's the magic of the world of Glorantha

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I had a herd of powerful farming triceratops in Dragon Pass and I accidentally sold them by not paying attention in an event. My clan promptly starved to death.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Oh cool I've never been able to successfully get them to work the fields, I always trained them as battle mounts

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Six Ages is so loving good. Finally made it to what I assume is the mid game last run where I started getting some clues on how to actually win but my cow economy was in a death spiral and I just couldn't hold out. I keep seeing so many different events and storylines every run, from what I've heard from people who have beaten it the game is shorter than KoDP but also has way more event variety and story paths and stuff which is cool -- I keep discovering new poo poo that's a total game changer

swimsuit
Jan 22, 2009

yeah
ty im going to get it today now

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

swimsuit posted:

ty im going to get it today now

Hell yeah . post your clan generation picks.... so far in my experience, even though every choice has mechanical impact, ancestral enemy has the biggest story impact. I reckon the main god you choose to bring with you at the beginning is also really significant though (although that might basically be this games version of picking a war/peace clan? Can't tell)

Also someone who worked on the game posted in the Games thread about how the other planned "episodes" will potentially be structured and it's really cool. the idea is you'll control the Hyalorings again but many, many generations (like way far off) later, and instead of choosing your myths and the actions of your ancestors when you start a new game, you'll be able to import a save file from THIS game, and your choices and actions now will affect the mythology of your clan in the next age

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

it took me a really long time to figure out how to recruit new soldiers. i've been playing this very casually, feel like i'm on the edge of the losing spiral on my first playthrough. three pyromancers were born in my tribe and it's been really cool to see how their plotline is developing.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Bolverkur posted:

it took me a really long time to figure out how to recruit new soldiers. i've been playing this very casually, feel like i'm on the edge of the losing spiral on my first playthrough. three pyromancers were born in my tribe and it's been really cool to see how their plotline is developing.

There seem to be a lot of ways that story can go down. First game I left them alone and they killed a bunch of people immediately so I had to exile them (as children, which sucked) and everyone assumed they'd died but for years I'd find scorch marks in the woods. This time I just prayed to return their gift to Elma and got a nice magic and morale boost and everyone was happy. I bet nurturing their ability could pay off big time down the road though.And yeah always be recruiting soldiers -- I try to keep at least 20

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

I get frustrated easily with this game and delete my file when things aren’t going my way. So far the most interesting event chain I’ve found is the antler shamans who show up in your clan and start dominating politics.

swimsuit
Jan 22, 2009

yeah
what ventures do you guys go for first?? ive been doing fields + pastures and general economy poo poo

swimsuit
Jan 22, 2009

yeah
i also restart when anything remotely bad happens

ol yeller
Feb 20, 2015
im going to focus goatmongering to try and get my ult cap, then i should be able to roll all of my xp into the shingling profession tree and get huge fuckin bonuses, essentially breaking the game.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

swimsuit posted:

what ventures do you guys go for first?? ive been doing fields + pastures and general economy poo poo

Getting fields ready is critical and then finish your clan hall so you can do 2 ventures a year. Everything after that is basically a temporary bonus (aside from special stuff you'll get via events or exploration) so just get boosts where you need them. Ceremony seems to make a big difference if you plan on doing an Otherside ritual

Edit: and explore a lot, even right on your own lands. Doing the latter will let you find rare resources that can vastly improve your crafting output. Also I neglected searching for spirits my first 2 runs but now I'm doing it more and some of the effects they give you can be awesome-- I got one that lets you raid during winter which is loving sweet

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

I’ve been raiding the Tricorn clan so much that their allies came to me and told me that I’m going to learn what it’s like to be continually assaulted by a merciless opponent. How much longer until I wipe the tricorns off the face of the map? I’ve been raiding them 2-3 times a year for probably 10 years now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

swimsuit
Jan 22, 2009

yeah

goferchan posted:

Getting fields ready is critical and then finish your clan hall so you can do 2 ventures a year. Everything after that is basically a temporary bonus (aside from special stuff you'll get via events or exploration) so just get boosts where you need them. Ceremony seems to make a big difference if you plan on doing an Otherside ritual

Edit: and explore a lot, even right on your own lands. Doing the latter will let you find rare resources that can vastly improve your crafting output. Also I neglected searching for spirits my first 2 runs but now I'm doing it more and some of the effects they give you can be awesome-- I got one that lets you raid during winter which is loving sweet

wait i thought winter was the raiding time and if you did poo poo when it wasnt winter it hosed your harvest and stuff like in kodp

• Locked thread