Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
Underrated line of the season

Bash: "I can't afford for any more girls to get injured!"

(whispers to Sam) "I can afford for TWO more girls getting injured"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
If you think the WWE is a shitshow, the history of TNA makes for some great reading. It begins with a midget masturbating in a garbage can on camera for a promo and goes downhill from there.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Propaganda Machine posted:

If you think the WWE is a shitshow, the history of TNA makes for some great reading. It begins with a midget masturbating in a garbage can on camera for a promo and goes downhill from there.

A couple friends of mine were TNA wrestlers for a long time (Judas (Ricky Banderas) and X, though they changed their names several times) and the stories they told me make Vince McMahon sound like goddamn Ed McMahon.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

precision posted:

A couple friends of mine were TNA wrestlers for a long time (Judas (Ricky Banderas) and X, though they changed their names several times) and the stories they told me make Vince McMahon sound like goddamn Ed McMahon.

Buy them accounts and convince them to do and A/T thread.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

the escape goat posted:

Nia Jax. She's 6ft
It's difficult to tell how tall any of them actually are because the WWE routinely lies about everyone's height, but there is no way Nia Jax is 6ft.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Charlotte is the only girl currently working r/n I could buy being maaaaaaaaybe six feet tall. Tho I am about a year behind on my roster knowledge so mb there's some more tall ladies now.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Solice Kirsk posted:

Buy them accounts and convince them to do and A/T thread.

Pretty PSP would happily crowdfund for this

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

I looked up Kia Stevens on Wikipedia because I was interested in reading up on her wrestling career.

I thought it was kind of funny to find out her mother was a coordinator for Family Feud. I’m wondering if she suggested that to be Tammé’s job in the show.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967
I asked you if you wanted eggs: You said, 'I loving hate eggs. That was fun.' And then you made the Black Power fist and you left.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I've never been even remotely interested in women's wrestling (or wrestling itself since I was like 7) and I really like this show. I think this season was better than last season.

If you told me at the begging of the year that my two favorite shows would be a Karate Kid sequel and a show about women wrestlers I never would have believed you.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I've always vaguely disliked wrestling because I wasn't allowed to watch it as a kid and I sour grapes'd the hell out of it ("ugh it's so dumb and fake anyway :rolleyes: "), but it's definitely going into my top ten all time greats. It's a loving incredible show.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

DrNutt posted:

I've always vaguely disliked wrestling because I wasn't allowed to watch it as a kid and I sour grapes'd the hell out of it ("ugh it's so dumb and fake anyway :rolleyes: "), but it's definitely going into my top ten all time greats. It's a loving incredible show.

I'm right there with you. My dad made fun of me for watching it as a kid and that was that. I got into it really randomly as a friend visited my city and stayed with me to see a live show. I wouldn't say it got me hooked, but it made wrestling fun. The fake storylines were a non-issue, the fake characters were delightful, and the fake results didn't matter because thematches were fun as hell and the wrestlers were obviously doing it out of joy.

Basically if you ever get the chance to see a live wrestling show other than WWE, give it a whirl.

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

(groaning) I'm so filled with poo poo, there's no extra room for a dick

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Propaganda Machine posted:

I'm right there with you. My dad made fun of me for watching it as a kid and that was that. I got into it really randomly as a friend visited my city and stayed with me to see a live show. I wouldn't say it got me hooked, but it made wrestling fun. The fake storylines were a non-issue, the fake characters were delightful, and the fake results didn't matter because thematches were fun as hell and the wrestlers were obviously doing it out of joy.

Basically if you ever get the chance to see a live wrestling show other than WWE, give it a whirl.

Part of the reason I never got into wrestling is that the WWE stuff is just so. loving. bad. I've seen podunk high school plays with more convincing fight scenes. So I always thought, man, if the pros are this bad at it I really don't want to see what the amateurs are like.

Then some friends dragged me to a local show and it's like, ok, at least they can actually make it look like they're connecting, instead of waving a fist around and watching a guy several feet away reel as if he got punched. I still think it's pretty dumb but at least it's not as abjectly embarrassing as the WWE stuff is.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
What an awesome season. Bash finding out his butler/friend died of aids was handled so well. It fit the time period without being hamfisted in because little clues were dropped all season long. The fight between Allison Brie and liberty bell in the hospital felt like a real genuine argument.

I dunno, everything just felt so well acted and the social messages they were throwing out didn't feel forced at all. Just a great show.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

precision posted:

Your friend totally rules on Lucha Underground.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
LU was rad as hell and I'm still not sure what quite happened there. The good news is most of their talent has managed to stay gainfully employed.

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I thought season 2 was better than season 1. Also, I'm the sick person that will be buying a Zoya Pop.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Gavok posted:

Your friend totally rules on Lucha Underground.

I'll tell him you said so! I haven't seen him in years but we still keep in touch. FWIW, I actually did ask him about doing an A/T thread here and he said he's up for it when he's less busy.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

precision posted:

I'll tell him you said so! I haven't seen him in years but we still keep in touch. FWIW, I actually did ask him about doing an A/T thread here and he said he's up for it when he's less busy.

I can confirm that the PSP crew would lose their minds over that, so please do what you can to make it happen.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

Your Gay Uncle posted:

The witty thread title should be " I loving hate eggs *Black Power Salute*".

I'm sure you meant "I’ve been baking pies at home. Pies of RAGE!!!” 

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
I fell in love with this season around episode 6, where they did the training montage set to the original NWA Starrcade theme:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uAuL_noJLoo

I did get bugged a little bit by Macchu Picchu’s speech about the ladies getting nothing done, that GLOW lost their spot to men’s wrestling because men NEVER have drama and only focus on their craft. It was pretty eye rolling especially in the context of 80’s wrestling.

1st AD fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Jul 10, 2018

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Yeah the ladies use more than three moves so they're already ahead of most 80s WWF wrestlers.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
If you guys liked this show do yourself a favor and watch the GLOW documentary on Netflix too. I had no idea that the actual GLOW was much more successful than what this show represents.

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

It's not on netflix here :sad:

I need me some more GLOW.

Jetfire
Apr 29, 2008
The only merch I want is Carmen's "THE LUMBERJACKSONS ARE MY FAVORITE WRESTLERS | I PEED THE BED TIL I WAS 10" shirt.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

GLOW is nominated for the Best Comedy Emmy, I assume for season 1 since season 2 was past the deadline.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I've never seen the original GLOW and then I stumbled onto this supercut of the inspiration of Zoya the Destroya and holy gently caress

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Op6kE_CweXo

Episode 8 was dead loving on.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Taintrunner posted:

I've never seen the original GLOW and then I stumbled onto this supercut of the inspiration of Zoya the Destroya and holy gently caress

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Op6kE_CweXo

Episode 8 was dead loving on.

I'm really surprised there's no Matilda the Hun character on the show. Seems like an easy one to do and a potentially fun character at that.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

zoux posted:

GLOW is nominated for the Best Comedy Emmy, I assume for season 1 since season 2 was past the deadline.

Yeah, it’s for S1. I wonder if Netflix intentionally sets up shows for summer releases so they will have Emmy hype and at least two available seasons for new viewers.

Binged the back half of this season yesterday. Still delightful, though Debbie being a complete heel off stage was tough to watch sometimes.

I hope there’s a season 3 if only so Bash can finally come to terms with his sexuality. I like how they wrote this season finale to work as a series one or a setup to the next season.

Also if I were a real life GLOW superfan my wrestler would be Melrose

Henchman of Santa fucked around with this message at 12:20 on Jul 13, 2018

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Jose Oquendo posted:

I'm really surprised there's no Matilda the Hun character on the show. Seems like an easy one to do and a potentially fun character at that.

Isn't Vicky The Viking supposed to be that?

And Alison Brie says that Col. Ninotchka is the closest she comes to doing actual prep for Zoya's accent/voice, as opposed to the kind of work she'd do to play a real Russian.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Henchman of Santa posted:

. I like how they wrote this season finale to work as a series one or a setup to the next season.

I don't know why they'd be worried about cancellation, it does very well

quote:

“GLOW” season 2 drew 1.33 million U.S. viewers for the premiere episodes in the first three days after its June 29 debut, according to Nielsen estimates. That’s well below Netflix’s breakout hits like “Stranger Things,” which delivered 15.8 million for the season 2 premiere in the three-day window, and “13 Reasons Why” season 2, whose first episode garnered 6 million over the same time period.

But “GLOW” has a loyal fanbase, and the sophomore season of the comedy series — set in the 1980s early days of the Gorgeous Ladies of Wrestling — had the highest concentration of viewers 18-49 of all original streaming content Nielsen has analyzed to date.

Within the first three days of its availability (June 29-July 1), the show’s second season received an average minute audience of over 700,000 U.S. viewers, about 86% of which were in the 18-49 demo.

Moreover, “GLOW” season 2’s audience also had one of the highest median incomes of Netflix originals analyzed to date, at $80,200, behind only “The Crown” ($84,200) and “House of Cards” ($80,400), per Nielsen.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qiXafKF9XCU

Sylvester Stallone's mom was on the show apparently????????????

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Hakkesshu posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qiXafKF9XCU

Sylvester Stallone's mom was on the show apparently????????????

Did she shoot anyone?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Gaz-L posted:

Isn't Vicky The Viking supposed to be that?

Wiki says that's Brunhilda.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
The original glow had like 40 wrestlers they pretty much had to narrow it down.

Also the real life Zoya said she had a group of people in Alabama waiting outside to lynch her because she stepped on the American flag.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

Doltos posted:

Also the real life Zoya said she had a group of people in Alabama waiting outside to lynch her because she stepped on the American flag.

Nice to know some things never change.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

zoux posted:

I don't know why they'd be worried about cancellation, it does very well

Interesting. I have yet to find anyone else who watches it. I thought it was one of those shows with an audience of TV critics and wannabe TV critics

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Doltos posted:

Chris Jericho once had to flee Brazil because he kicked their flag.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Doltos posted:

My favorite story from the days of the territories was when Ric Flair and the horsemen had to brawl their way out of a venue because Flair did a double cross on Dusty Rhodes and the crowd rioted - with the aid of police, it took them over half an hour or something to get back to the locker room.

• Locked thread