Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

cant cook creole bream posted:

That was fun. I don't know if it was worth shotgunning it on the day it was released, but I liked it quite a bit.

But I do feel kinda weird about this show as a whole. I like the feminist plot lines and the strong characters, but I kinda have to admit to myself that I really enjoy seeing those fit women wrestle in elaborate outfits. I do wonder if it feels degrading to the actresses. To be honest, I feel kinda bad about that. They look really great though.

I mean... I guess? It's the 80s, they all look fuckin ridiculous. It's a useful part of the show's conceit, since they can deal with themes of objectification while hiding part of the actual objectification behind awful eye searing fashion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
To be honest I hope they never really get around to fleshing them out, because that would be less time spent with better characters. It's OK to have some filler in an ensemble cast.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

esperterra posted:

p sure Carmen was sad/confused because she knows he's a big 'mo tbh

I'm not sure she does, she's pretty naive. She didn't really seem to quite get what was going on at the gay bar.

(Speaking of which, that was a pretty great reveal--they ended the previous scene with Carmen asking "can I come?" and you're expecting a big culture shock for the innocent kid seeing her first gay bar, but then she just sort of rolls with it and Bash is the one looking around in wide-eyed wonder. I really had not expected him to turn out to be so repressed/in denial, and playing bait-and-switch with expectations was a great way to introduce that idea.)

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Tiggum posted:

She's not exactly blameless. One thing I think season one did a lot better was keeping more focus on the characters' flaws. They were the kind of people you feel bad for liking. This season you just like them.

I can't really agree with this. Sheila is about the only character that really got this treatment and part of that is just getting less spotlight time in favor of other supporting cast.

Tiggum posted:

I assume not. He didn't seem to have any idea that Florian was gay and his internal conflict when he found out seemed to me to be between his homophobia and his lifelong friendship with Florian.

I thought his meltdown was more about AIDS than just sexuality. I can't say for sure if he knew about Florian beforehand but once he went to the gay bar I don't think he had any illusions about Florian being gay, and his initial reaction didn't seem negative. Note also that when he got the phone call from the hospital he is concerned at first until they start talking about details--at which point he immediately figures out exactly what they're alluding to, which is a pretty good sign he knew about Florian considering how vague the hospital was on the phone. He's conflicted because on the one hand he just had his eyes opened to this big gay world he was missing out on, and on the other hand this is the mid-80s and being part of that world means dying horrifically of AIDS.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Tiggum posted:

That's definitely when he found out, and yeah, it was probably mostly about AIDS, but I think to him (like a lot of people) that would have been synonymous with homosexuality. But none of that suggests to me that he was gay himself.

the part where Bash has been played as a gay caricature for the entire run of the show suggests to me that maybe he is supposed to be gay, just in case him looking around in a gay bar like a kid in a candy store right up until he loses his nerve wasn't a big enough hint

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Tiggum posted:

Has he? I guess I'm not familiar with whatever stereotype he's embodying. :confused:

He's a camp-loving, hard-partying clotheshorse with an overbearing mother who loves playing dressup with his closet full of women's costumes, gets excited about putting on glitter eyeshadow and lives with his fabulous "butler" that he's extremely close and possessive of.

Sure, none of that proves anything. But it's pretty clear what they're trying to get across.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Propaganda Machine posted:

I'm right there with you. My dad made fun of me for watching it as a kid and that was that. I got into it really randomly as a friend visited my city and stayed with me to see a live show. I wouldn't say it got me hooked, but it made wrestling fun. The fake storylines were a non-issue, the fake characters were delightful, and the fake results didn't matter because thematches were fun as hell and the wrestlers were obviously doing it out of joy.

Basically if you ever get the chance to see a live wrestling show other than WWE, give it a whirl.

Part of the reason I never got into wrestling is that the WWE stuff is just so. loving. bad. I've seen podunk high school plays with more convincing fight scenes. So I always thought, man, if the pros are this bad at it I really don't want to see what the amateurs are like.

Then some friends dragged me to a local show and it's like, ok, at least they can actually make it look like they're connecting, instead of waving a fist around and watching a guy several feet away reel as if he got punched. I still think it's pretty dumb but at least it's not as abjectly embarrassing as the WWE stuff is.

• Locked thread